Menu

Curriculum for a child with uneven skills?

desertmum

As summer approaches I realise that I am far from many goals I've set my our homeschooling year. DS (4.5yo) is very advanced in science but he is far behind in reading. Curiously enough he is writing words even though I haven't started our handwriting curriculum (how do you write if you can't read yet??). Math levels are ok, although bears and pebbles mean nothing to him but doing math while playing shop and handling money he gets.;)

I am thinking about how to make changes to accommodate his insane craving for science and his shortcomings in LA. I am considering Sonlight but I am worried because he can't read he will become bored with so many books and reading required. It is very attractive to me to have an open and go curriculum that covers social studies, history and geography.

Is there a curriculum out there than can be tweaked to accommodate for different levels of development in a child? Something with pre-made lessons? I tried making my own lessons for this year and failed miserably. Not to mention I don't have a lot of free time for planning.

Sorry about the rant. I am feeling a bit lost. :confused:

Why do you say he is behind in reading? Does he know his letters and sounds? What programs have you tried? Children can definitely write before they can read. Teach him how to form his letters and begin copywork.

My boys love science also, but at that age I would think formal lessons are not necessary. Trips to the forest, a few simple experiments, going to the zoo, and reading lots of science books would be all one would do.

I would recommend focusing on reading and math when they are so young.

As summer approaches I realise that I am far from many goals I've set my our homeschooling year. DS (4.5yo) is very advanced in science but he is far behind in reading. Curiously enough he is writing words even though I haven't started our handwriting curriculum (how do you write if you can't read yet??). Math levels are ok, although bears and pebbles mean nothing to him but doing math while playing shop and handling money he gets.;)

I am thinking about how to make changes to accommodate his insane craving for science and his shortcomings in LA. I am considering Sonlight but I am worried because he can't read he will become bored with so many books and reading required. It is very attractive to me to have an open and go curriculum that covers social studies, history and geography.

Is there a curriculum out there than can be tweaked to accommodate for different levels of development in a child? Something with pre-made lessons? I tried making my own lessons for this year and failed miserably. Not to mention I don't have a lot of free time for planning.

Sorry about the rant. I am feeling a bit lost. :confused:

What level SL LA are you looking at. There are LA levels for the "let's learn to read level". Personally I am not a big SL LA fan and would use ABeka to get them reading then start SL LA. Also what level SL core are you considering? The pre-k curriculums are just read alouds and you can add a reader group best suited to your childs reading level (or not reading yet level).

For many of us, our dc are all over the map when it comes to leveled curriculum. My dd is doing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade work in different subjects. Depending on what you use you can get the exact level your child is in or tweak it to fit your child. The beauty of homeschooling.

At that age, our school year includes 5-15 minutes of Phonics Pathways, the next math lesson, and handwriting (I like A Reason for Handwriting K, and then we move along to Evan Moor's Daily Handwriting Practice). I also read to them.

That's it. Nothing else is needed. Science kits are fun, but not necessary. This year my 5 year old did Be Amazing Blast of Color, and now he's doing Mind Blowing Science. Listening to the Story of the World cds are helpful, but not necessary.

Edited by JudoMom

I don't think a 4.5 year old can be behind in LA. I'm not sure what makes him behind.

Hi. I suppose 4.5yo is very young. I keep meeting other children at our HS meetings who can read fairly well.

Why do you say he is behind in reading? Does he know his letters and sounds? What programs have you tried? Children can definitely write before they can read. Teach him how to form his letters and begin copywork.

My boys love science also, but at that age I would think formal lessons are not necessary. Trips to the forest, a few simple experiments, going to the zoo, and reading lots of science books would be all one would do.

I would recommend focusing on reading and math when they are so young.

Hi. We were using Step by Step Reading by Moma McNee. DS son balked the moment I tried sounding out "c-a-t" and got frustrated/bored after 5 minutes. Yes, he knows all the letters and most of the sounds, but he doesn't get that this is how you read. Someone suggested Jolly Phonics as it is readily available in the UK. BTW I like the idea of making him do copywork.

I haven't tried to push science. It is what DS likes.

I should say I am also looking into Winter Promise. I saw the history books and thought they looked interesting enough for a 5 yo. Although I like MM because it is dead simple (if I can understand a math concept anyone can -that will give you an indication of my math skills).

A 4.5 year old not reading is VERY normal. Most people don't expect kids to start reading until sometime during age 5 or 6. 4 is considered "early".

It sounds like "blending" hasn't kicked in yet? My oldest resisted anything schoolish at that age. He wasn't ready for formal school. I listened to him and backed off. I let him play starfall.com (free), and one day (around 4.5, incidentally), the blending clicked and he read a book to me. This happened because I backed off and let him find his own path. That was what he needed.

My middle child likes doing "school" and even enjoys short reading lessons at the white board. We use Webster's Speller, and I have seen great progress. I'm now mixing it with OPGTR (to get some sentences in there) along with Bob books. He could already blend though. That seemed to kick in early for him - he didn't know all his letters and sounds when he started to blend.

I do like having early readers, because it makes first grade so easy to teach, but your child is absolutely NOT behind if they aren't reading at 4.5. :001_huh: A 4.5 year old should be learning (or already have learned) their letters and basic sounds. In K here, they go over the letters individually, so the kids that don't know their letters and sounds still pick them up. They just do it quickly - one letter per day, whereas in preschool they usually do one letter per week (I personally prefer letting The Frog teach letters in a matter of about 3 days :lol:).

I remember my son's K class at school... Most of the kids were NOT reading when they started. They all started reading by the end of the year (except one was struggling - he likely is dyslexic and they were working with him on that). I remember toward the end of the first semester, one kid's mom posted on FB that her son had read his first book. This is a child whose dad is an engineer that owns companies - VERY smart man. His child is likewise very smart. He started reading when he was probably closer to 6 years old, and by first grade, he was in the "accelerated readers" group of the class.

So don't be at all fretting about a 4 year old not reading.

My just-turned-5 yr old is just starting to learn to read using 100EL. We're on about lesson 35. She's doing much better than my first two kids, IMO. Don't start comparing your kid to other kids!! It is a horrible road to travel, believe me. (I have three friends who had kids who were very young when they learned to read. My first didn't really "kick" in until 7 and my current 7 yo doesn't read fluently.)

Anyway, have you looked at Moving Beyond the Page? That's very science oriented, but pricey. (But if you are looking at SL, you can't be too freaked out by $$.) You'd be looking at the 5 to 7 age set. Maybe get just one "concept" to try it out?

My Father's World has a very sweet K program that some use with their mature 4 year olds. It can be used one unit at the time so that you don't have to rush through the material. Just take it one topic at a time and take plenty of pauses if it's too much. MFW's phonics is really good. They take plenty of time with blending in K. It seems slow but when you get to first grade it really speeds up the instruction. K has alot of fun science related things to do. It also recommends alot of picture books which are so nice for that age.

Your son definately is not behind but he may enjoy a gentle program with fun things to do and some beginning phonics.

Um, he's 4.5. he's not behind in reading. It's not possible to be behind in reading at that age. MANY, if not MOST boys are not ready for reading at that age. It's a developmental thing. Focus on what he IS ready for, teach phonics gently and at a pace he can handle, and it will come. If you are still asking this at the end of next year we may have more advice :)

Also, you might want to check out some articles on how boy's brains are different from girls, and how they develop.

Wanted to add that my son couldn't read at that age. He couldn't read at 5 either. He didn't read well until he was 7, and then it just took off. By the end of second grade he was reading at a 5th grade level, and by the end of 4th he was reading at a 10th grade level. But before about 7 he was just not ready AT ALL. I really wish we had dropped it and not driven both of us nuts trying so hard.

I would expect a child who is only 4½ to have "uneven skills." I wouldn't even have counted this past year as "homeschooling," as most caring parents would do the same kinds of things you did even if they intended to send their children to the local public school as soon as they were old enough. And I would not use other children as a measuring stick, especially not such young children.

I would expect a child who is only 4½ to have "uneven skills." I wouldn't even have counted this past year as "homeschooling," as most caring parents would do the same kinds of things you did even if they intended to send their children to the local public school as soon as they were old enough. And I would not use other children as a measuring stick, especially not such young children.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. You are all probably dead right. He is very young, and emotionally more so. I am trying to choose a curriculum for next year and I am going bonkers. One day I look at Sonlight, the next WinterPromise, etc.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. You are all probably dead right. He is very young, and emotionally more so. I am trying to choose a curriculum for next year and I am going bonkers. One day I look at Sonlight, the next WinterPromise, etc.

If he's also emotionally young, I say chill on the "curriculum". Next year when he's 5, do a gentle phonics program, a gentle K level math program, and a gentle handwriting program (or just teach the letter formation yourself). Read lots of books. Don't worry about history and science. Just get books on the subjects if you want to, but don't worry about curriculum.

I don't know about your area, but around here, a lot of people hold back their boys if they're emotionally not ready for school yet, and they start K as 6 year olds. That's normal here. Your son sounds like he's very much not ready for formal school, so I wouldn't push it. He has plenty of time to learn to read, do math, and write. Even if he starts those things as a 6 year old, he'd be FINE. :)

If you really want history/social studies/geography at 4.5, I think it's going to be hard to find. Most 4.5 year olds are in pre-k or K4 and they really only focus on having fun, letter sounds, writing their names, art, counting, maybe some social studies as in community workers. I don't think most curriculums will have history and geography for K4.

The two open and go curriculums that come to mind first are Heart of Dakota (which we love) Little Hands to Heaven and MFW K. Both of these will focus more on letters/sounds. MFW K has more science to it which he might like. It seems really cool too. MFW K would be a great program for a younger Kindergartner.

If you were to go with Heart of Dakota LHFHG (~5 to 7 year olds) then you would get those additional subjects (music, art, history, bible, some science, rhymes, storytime, etc.) They are light on science in the younger years, so you'd want to get a book of experiments or something fun for science. Reading can be done at his own level. They have hands-on math activities for singapore, or you can use your own math program.

Galloping the Globe is a geography based unit study starting in Kindergarten...you could look at that one as well.

I agree with the other posters, I don't think he's behind at all! Just a couple of curriculums to look into. Hope you find what fits for you and your precious little boy!

A 4.5 year old not reading is VERY normal. Most people don't expect kids to start reading until sometime during age 5 or 6. 4 is considered "early"....I do like having early readers, because it makes first grade so easy to teach, but your child is absolutely NOT behind if they aren't reading at 4.5. :001_huh: A 4.5 year old should be learning (or already have learned) their letters and basic sounds. In K here, they go over the letters individually, so the kids that don't know their letters and sounds still pick them up. They just do it quickly - one letter per day, whereas in preschool they usually do one letter per week (I personally prefer letting The Frog teach letters in a matter of about 3 days :lol:).

I remember my son's K class at school... Most of the kids were NOT reading when they started.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I read a statistic one time that only 3% of entering kindergartners in the U.S. can decode CVC words and only 1% are fluent readers.

My 2nd couldn't decode until 4 3/4 but once it "clicked" for him, he really took off. He went from s-l-o-w-l-y reading BOB books in August to reading George Washington's Spy (227 pages, AR level 4.7) now.

If he's also emotionally young, I say chill on the "curriculum". Next year when he's 5, do a gentle phonics program, a gentle K level math program, and a gentle handwriting program (or just teach the letter formation yourself). Read lots of books. Don't worry about history and science. Just get books on the subjects if you want to, but don't worry about curriculum.

I don't know about your area, but around here, a lot of people hold back their boys if they're emotionally not ready for school yet, and they start K as 6 year olds. That's normal here. Your son sounds like he's very much not ready for formal school, so I wouldn't push it. He has plenty of time to learn to read, do math, and write. Even if he starts those things as a 6 year old, he'd be FINE. :)

Thanks! :D

My youngest turns 5 in June. I will not be using any sort of all-in-one curric with him ANYtime soon! It's too TOO much for a little guy...for that matter, I don't use any sort of big curric with my oldest.

I choose a reading program.

I choose a writing program.

I choose a math program.

Then, I spend the rest of our HSing budget on classic children's books.

We visit the library often.

We read as a break from "school.";) We read an abundance of history and science and good quality literature this way.

ETA: I completely agree that 4yo's should be learning letter sounds, and NOT be expected to read quite yet. Slow and Steady...

Edited by 3blessingmom

If it makes you feel any better, my 4.5 yo can read after going through Funnix, but she doesn't know how to count to 20. She can get to 12 or 13. Her 3.5yo brother can count to 18, but gets letters completely mixed up.

Kids develop completely unevenly. At this age, we go with their interests and teach what they are interested in learning. That way I don't get a lot of resistance and it's more fun.

For K we will be doing reading, handwriting, and Five in a Row. I'll probably add in a math curric when she is more numerically aware. (And who knows, maybe my son would like to play along by then!)

I have a dd that has some uneven skills. For LA, we use SWR. It is very good for asynchronous development, because you get all levels bundled together. Additionally, the philosophy is that you teach spelling/writing first, and then the child learns to read as they are learning to write and to spell. Dd was reading before I found this program, but I have already started it with ds3 on a very informal basis (that is, when he asks for it).

For a science-loving young one, I highly recommend BFSU. It is a very in-depth program but is specifically designed with activities that are appropriate for this age group, taking into account a shorter attention span and developing fine motor skills. And there are suggestions for additional activities, reading and other supplements if your dc needs more than the core lesson.

Lastly, I also want to put a plug in for TOG, though I wouldn't recommend it until a child is at least 5-6yo. Because you get all levels, 1-12, you can easily have your child in different levels for different subjects.

Basically, this is a 'ditto' post, but i wanted to add that you should read, read, read aloud to your child, that is one of the most important things that you can do at this stage of life. Any good, classic, children's literature will do :).

There is a HUGE difference between skills and content. My children have had huge appetites for Magic Schoolbus books at this age (4.5), children are naturally fascinated by science and the world around them. BUT skills take practice and developmental readiness.

At 4.5 my second child knew all of her short letter sounds but was in no way ready to blend. At 5 she can do some blending, but often when she gets to the end of a word she has blended well she blurts something else out entirely! No worries though, she'll get it in time, and so will your son :). For now we are doing AAR pre-1 for some gentle letter/phonological/rhyming skills and she adores it. It is very developmentally appropriate for a 4 to 5 year old if you'd like to do something 'schooly' together :).

Now, if your son WANTS to write (my second born is always asking me how to spell things even though she isn't reading yet), so she does a lot of writing on her OWN. If he doesn't want to write though, I wouldn't stress about it at this age. You can do some large motor movements to do letter formation if you want to as you teach basic letter sounds (air tracing, writing in rice etc.) but keep it fun :).

Maybe do some counting, some number recognition up to 10, and you are good.

Just read together and have fun!

I have a dd that has some uneven skills. For LA, we use SWR. It is very good for asynchronous development, because you get all levels bundled together. Additionally, the philosophy is that you teach spelling/writing first, and then the child learns to read as they are learning to write and to spell. Dd was reading before I found this program, but I have already started it with ds3 on a very informal basis (that is, when he asks for it).

For a science-loving young one, I highly recommend BFSU. It is a very in-depth program but is specifically designed with activities that are appropriate for this age group, taking into account a shorter attention span and developing fine motor skills. And there are suggestions for additional activities, reading and other supplements if your dc needs more than the core lesson.

Lastly, I also want to put a plug in for TOG, though I wouldn't recommend it until a child is at least 5-6yo. Because you get all levels, 1-12, you can easily have your child in different levels for different subjects.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have BFSU. I bought it because it was highly recommended. I opened it and I was overwhelmed. I could not understand how to make lessons from the material. I was stumped! :confused1:

How do you use BFSU?

First of all, please remember that your 4.5yo son, while admittedly bright in science, is only a young child. Let him be a child. Let him play! Scoop dirt or sand, build sand castles, play with Legos, etc. Those alone are great learning activities for kids. They do learn through play at that age. Secondly, get out of the comparison trap. I think we as homeschool teachers sometimes feel the need to compare to make sure we're "doing enough." However, your child is not like her child or their child or mine. I doubt you're homeschooling because you want to "be like everyone else".

Third, your son is a boy. When it comes to reading, handwriting, and other language arts, boys usually take longer to "get it." I'm thinking your son "doesn't like it" when you sound things out to him because he is not ready. At this stage, I'd simply read aloud to your son while he plays with Legos, in the sandbox, etc. Believe me, he will hear you reading and retain, even though he's playing. My son used to play all sorts of things while I read to him. It's amazing what they remember!

For future reference, Sonlight does work for children who are at mixed levels. My 12yo daughter is in "6th" grade, doing 7th grade math, but at about a 5/6th grade reading level (with comprehension) and at about a 10/11yo social maturity level. She has Asperger's, mild dyslexia, and dysgraphia, which affect some of this, but even "neurotypical" (aka normal) children sometimes have leaps, bounds, and gaps.

If you take nothing else away from these, please remember your son is a BOY, boys take a bit LONGER, and he is a CHILD. Let him play! :)

HTH!

First of all, please remember that your 4.5yo son, while admittedly bright in science, is only a young child. Let him be a child. Let him play! Scoop dirt or sand, build sand castles, play with Legos, etc. Those alone are great learning activities for kids. They do learn through play at that age. Secondly, get out of the comparison trap. I think we as homeschool teachers sometimes feel the need to compare to make sure we're "doing enough." However, your child is not like her child or their child or mine. I doubt you're homeschooling because you want to "be like everyone else".

Third, your son is a boy. When it comes to reading, handwriting, and other language arts, boys usually take longer to "get it." I'm thinking your son "doesn't like it" when you sound things out to him because he is not ready. At this stage, I'd simply read aloud to your son while he plays with Legos, in the sandbox, etc. Believe me, he will hear you reading and retain, even though he's playing. My son used to play all sorts of things while I read to him. It's amazing what they remember!

For future reference, Sonlight does work for children who are at mixed levels. My 12yo daughter is in "6th" grade, doing 7th grade math, but at about a 5/6th grade reading level (with comprehension) and at about a 10/11yo social maturity level. She has Asperger's, mild dyslexia, and dysgraphia, which affect some of this, but even "neurotypical" (aka normal) children sometimes have leaps, bounds, and gaps.

If you take nothing else away from these, please remember your son is a BOY, boys take a bit LONGER, and he is a CHILD. Let him play! :)

HTH!

:iagree: Good to know about Sonlight too!

Thank you for the suggestions. I have BFSU. I bought it because it was highly recommended. I opened it and I was overwhelmed. I could not understand how to make lessons from the material. I was stumped! :confused1:

How do you use BFSU?

Honestly, I took the advice of Dr. Nebel and just jumped in. I read the first lesson, gathered some materials and just started teaching from the lesson plan. For the next lesson, I went to the 1st lesson from the next thread. Then the first lesson from the next thread, and so on. I did that for 6 months before I decided to make a schedule, and that was just because it took too much time each week to make that decision.

A lot of people are overwhelmed with the flexibility of the program and want someone to tell them what to do next. But then you lose the "tweakable" quality of the program for which you purchased it in the first place. There are schedules in the files section of the Yahoo group if you want to use someone else's schedule. And it helps to take the time to read the introduction so that you understand the philosophy behind the lessons. But you are overwhelmed, you really just have to jump in. The lesson plans are very easy to follow, even if you don't quite "get" the overall philosophy of the program.

Honestly, I took the advice of Dr. Nebel and just jumped in. I read the first lesson, gathered some materials and just started teaching from the lesson plan. For the next lesson, I went to the 1st lesson from the next thread. Then the first lesson from the next thread, and so on. I did that for 6 months before I decided to make a schedule, and that was just because it took too much time each week to make that decision.

A lot of people are overwhelmed with the flexibility of the program and want someone to tell them what to do next. But then you lose the "tweakable" quality of the program for which you purchased it in the first place. There are schedules in the files section of the Yahoo group if you want to use someone else's schedule. And it helps to take the time to read the introduction so that you understand the philosophy behind the lessons. But you are overwhelmed, you really just have to jump in. The lesson plans are very easy to follow, even if you don't quite "get" the overall philosophy of the program.

Ditto what Tracy said. Just pick a lesson and do it. I find one on what DD is currently interested in, then check if she knows all the prerequisite lessons. If not we start with one of those

OK. Nice suggestions. I will check the yahoo group and work my way from there. :)