Menu

Disappointed for my hometown

NASA announced the placement of the retired shuttles today and not only did Dayton not get one, no one in the midwest did. There will be three on the East Coast though because apparently it is more important for international travelers to have easy access than it is for the American people who actually paid for the things to have easy access. Not only that but in Dayton, people would actually have been able to see it for free at the Air Force museum. I am sad and a little bitter.

Dayton is my hometown too. Wright Pat would have been a great place for one of the shuttles.

I loved to Air force museum when I was growing up! I loved the retired pilots who told me all about their planes and their missions in the Korean war and WWII.

I remember vividly the day I realized, while reading one of the exhibits, that my grandparents had lived the whole story as it happened, from the Wright brothers to the moon landing.

We didn't get one in Seattle either.

We were excited we might get one here... but alas its a no go for us in Washington. It's even more sad there won't be one near the west coast at all! I really really REALLY want to go see one :)... The kids can come too I guess. :lol:

That seems pretty well spread-out, though, doesn't it?

It actually puts three on the east coast, one on the west coast but nothing in the middle. To add additional salt to the wound, NASA made the announcement today from the Air Force Museum. They invited the public here in Dayton and then they get to hear that we don't get a shuttle. Nice (definite sarcasm here).

I'm confused. Why would one go to Dayton? I didn't think NASA was part of the Air Force. And the population is concentrated along the coasts, so more Americans would have access with them placed along the coasts. I do plan to take a trip to DC; I could easily make the hop over to VA. I might even go to NYC sometime. I don't think I will ever make it to Dayton, though. I think more people from the center of the country visit the coasts than vice versa.

I'm confused. Why would one go to Dayton? I didn't think NASA was part of the Air Force. And the population is concentrated along the coasts, so more Americans would have access with them placed along the coasts. I do plan to take a trip to DC; I could easily make the hop over to VA. I might even go to NYC sometime. I don't think I will ever make it to Dayton, though. I think more people from the center of the country visit the coasts than vice versa.

Well I can say that I've never had the opportunity to be able to go to either coast yet unfortunately, so a Midwestern location would have been appreciated. I don't know if I'd be able to forsee travel anytime soon either. I keep seeing comments on blogs talking about NASA wouldn't want to waste a shuttle on "flyover" country, but there are several decent sized cities in the Midwest, you know?

The Air Force actually was instrumental in the beginnings of NASA. Also, as the birthplace and home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, aviation of any sort is pretty big around here. Dayton and the Air Force museum, IMO, have a bigger claim than NYC. With the AF museum, as well, it is open to the public, for free, and we have many visitors from around the world to see the collection of planes housed here.

My biggest beef is that there is a big portion of this country that is actually in the middle. To put three shuttles on the East coast makes it pretty inaccessible to many people. They say that it is to encourage more international visitors but what about the people here in the US that actually paid for the things?

Well, I am a New Yorker and last time I checked, we are also a part of the country. And we help pay for stuff like that.

But I get your point. ;)

I am very surprised that Houston didn't get one. I figured they already did.

I don't think the issue is ignoring the middle of the country or making them available for 'foreigners' but the realities of tourism. People travel to those places to see lots of 'stuff'. I am 100% more likely to travel to Florida and see a space shuttle along with all the other stuff than I am to ever travel to Dayton just to see the space shuttle. I live much closer to Ohio but I have been there never and have been to Florida and the D.C area many times.

My stepdad is a huge airplane enthusiast. He drags my poor mom to all kinds of air shows. I didn't even know such a thing as air shows existed until I met him. Now, if he is going out that way, he would def. make a stop in Dayton to see a shuttle. But, I can promise you that he goes to Florida every winter and he will see that thing every time. Knowing him, he will see the one in Virginia as well, just for good measure.

So, don't it personally. It's more about the law of averages than hating on the flyover.