Menu

Anyone do this....summer school certain subjects

kwickimom

Does anyone school year round, but keep certain subjects for summer? For example, I was thinking of doing Science and History during the summer and not during the "school year." I would still read these subjects during the school year (based on what we did in the summer), but not do projects or in depth discussion or narration. This way I could shorten our school days and focus on the 3 R's during the "school year"

Just a random thought. :001_smile:

I still want to do a little Math review and some copywork/dictation over the summer (and of course read, read, read) and we tend to get bored over the summer with no schedule and nothing to do, so I was thinking we could really dig into Science and History if we tried this.

Just wanting to see if this worked for anyone

I plan on doing lots of science with dd7, as many things require things that aren't available through winter. Bugs, butterflies, dirt, bird watching. Our winter can start as early as September and end in May. So I'm going to be evaluating what we need to do in our summer. I continue to do math, a few lessons a week, writing, and spelling. The rest can wait.

That said, our school day will be very short. And summer experiments are fun. She is planning everything she'll do when we're camping - we have dug out water, lake water, swamp water, ant hills, bugs galore, bird feeders everywhere. In the city? We'd have maybe some birds.

This is what I am going to do with the kids this summer. We have had a horrible year; it's been so hit and miss with us. I have had a lot of personal challenges and the kid's education has suffered the brunt of it. In January I made the decision that we were going to have to school through the summer. I don't really want to do ALL subjects in the summer so I told the kids to hit the core subjects hard until June and then we would concentrate on the other subjects.

Right now our summer will consist of science, history, art, Latin and Spanish. It sounds like more than I had planned but we aren't going to do each subject everyday. I haven't figured out a schedule yet but I am working on it.

I plan on doing math review and a science unit study. In the past, we've done catch-up for what we didn't finish in the school year. This year, however, we 're actually on track. Yay! But I still like the idea of keeping some kind of routine during the summer (or else we all go crazy!)

We usually only do science in the summer but it's very informal. We rarely do any science during the school yr unless it's interest based.

But since we live in the country next to a creek, it's easy to learn a lot about science and link reading or other fun things to it. The kids know more about the life cycle of a frog, bats, insects, and weather than a lot of adults I know. ;) All just based on things they learned while playing outside in the summer.

We were kind of weak on science & history most of the year, it's one thing I regret.

However, since I don't have my own personal time machine to go back and re-do the last 10 months...we're going to do Apologia Astronomy over the summer, daily I think (I have no clue if we can fit it in or not, we'll be starting it in early May). We're going to hit history daily as well, and then carry on with math. My oldest has made so much progress in math, I don't want to even think about her forgetting ANYTHING! :lol:

We have a family vacation in June and then we're moving in August, so this summer is going to go fast anyway!

We're going to do lite school this summer and I've already warned her so she'll get used to the idea. Two days a week I want to go over math facts, her cursive writing and do a dinosaur study. She wanted to study dinosaurs for science next year, but I'd rather spend time on our human body study so we're pushing dinosaurs up. She also liked it last year when she read for the summer reading programs for both libraries in our area so she'll get her reading in. By doing only two days a week, she'll still get a good break, I think.

We do a morning school-like routine in the summers. We do daily piano, math, silent reading (with books of their choice), and some kind of PE on most days.

It's not worth quitting math and piano for the summer, in my opinion. The re-start is miserable.

Plus,all of us do better with some kind of routine. We only take about 2 hours in the morning, so the whole day is left for more summery activities.

Everyone has to do math during our 6 week summer break. I would love to do a full science program during the summer but honestly...I'm too lazy and my dc don't want to get anywhere near anything that smells of "school" on their breaks. If I do any science at all it will have to be stealth and very easy.:tongue_smilie:

Guest mrsajoy

I mainly do science during spring, and fall. Our science includes finding different animals, bugs, trees, plants, and flowers outside. We can't do any of this in the winter because it's too cold, nor summer because it's too hot. When the flowers start blooming and the ants start building, my kids are all about doing science, even though they don't even realize that's what they are doing:) I will do some science during summer and winter, usually having to do with seasons, evaporation, snow, etc. But that's pretty much the extent of it during those times.

We school year around, but this summer I am going to go lite. We will work on the basics, what ever we are behind in and what ever my kids want to work on. I know math, reading, handwriting, interest led science, and history (we managed to get a year behind).

I love the idea of doing a couple of hours in the morning and having the rest of the day free. We don't do very well if we get off schedule for even a day so I need to do something consistantly.

I was recently considering this. I still don't know what to do. We are going to be homeschooling our 8th grade daughter for the 1st time this fall. She will have two-a-days at gymnastics three days a week and I am concerned that on those days, she won't have time to get all her school work done, even with homeschooling. I was thinking of doing a couple of her semester long classes this summer just so we don't have to worry about squeezing it in during the school year.

It is all about math and reading during the summer for the 2nd grader, but my older goes to public school and we always have a reading list and writing for him over the summer because I think this is where his school experience lets him down. (I can't bring him home, because our adoption isn't final yet)

We are planning on school during the summer. DS7's need the math, reading and phonics work. And it gets way too hot here in July and August to do anything but wish humans could shed their skins like snakes.

However, I am going to do one subject more in the summer that I would not spend much time on in the school year--state history. We usually plan our camping trips at state parks, and it makes sense to me that we would cover state history when we go camping. Year 2 is coming up so I plan to do our camping at places of geologic and historic interest. Very informal--no worksheets, no texts; just stories, lots of hands on activities. I also might introduce a little more American History in this context as well, since we have to standardize test in Year 3 and they won't have had much modern history by then.

Our daily summer schedule will look much like our schedule now, with longer breaks when I have a week or so of work.

Does anyone school year round, but keep certain subjects for summer? For example, I was thinking of doing Science and History during the summer and not during the "school year." I would still read these subjects during the school year (based on what we did in the summer), but not do projects or in depth discussion or narration. This way I could shorten our school days and focus on the 3 R's during the "school year"

Just a random thought. :001_smile:

I still want to do a little Math review and some copywork/dictation over the summer (and of course read, read, read) and we tend to get bored over the summer with no schedule and nothing to do, so I was thinking we could really dig into Science and History if we tried this.

Just wanting to see if this worked for anyone

I'm planning on doing a 6-week geography unit this summer for my elementary kids. One country per week. I'm using some of those books from MFW because I found them at the library. Hooray!! But not the MFW plans. I'm planning crafts and cooking on top of our reading/researching plus a little music. Maybe we'll even invite a couple of little friends over to craft/cook with us and then just stay to swim or play. I love geography but it just does NOT fit into the school year.

Because we need to meet provincial learning outcomes in order to receive funding, I plan to get those out of the way during the summer. Things like social studies, certain science topics, a few things about health. I'll make up a couple unit studies for them. Then we're free to follow our WTM cycles without concern :)

So, I'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to recording hours -- my husband says I'm waaaay too honest about when our day was 4 hours instead of 4.5... My question is if you try to account for the summer school time in your school year attendance. As I'm asking this I realize that it is pretty petty, but I'm curious how others handle it. I'm definitely planning on having a little bit of daily math and music practice and lots of reading...

I don't know...I had not thought about that. Since I usually have enough planned in the fall to meet the hours requirement, I suppose I will just consider the summer school just something I'm doing to avoid having to play catch up in September.

Last summer, we schooled math (LOF and another fractions program versus our regular SM), geography, Song School Latin, as well as read aloud several wonderful literature selections.

This summer, we will do informal logic, LOF, typing, Sentence family and will see how far we can get into the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a read aloud. My boys will be finishing up their handwriting programs, and my five year old will probably be begging to continue with FLL.

My personal schedule is so busy during the year (two part time jobs) that we cannot do "extras" or all of the other fun and additional programs. It also keeps math fresh in their minds. The summer school doesn't take up much time at all, and the kids actually seem to enjoy most of it. I get flack from my friends with public schooled kids, though.;)

I had forgotten about this thread I started :)

I wouldnt be recording hours because I dont have to. If I was required to count hours, I would because it would be school.

I think we are going to try and do Science in depth this this summer. I am contemplating doing MFW ECC or HOD next year and I think they are light on Science. I know MFW does use Apologia later on and if I do choose MFW I want to do 2 Apologia books in a year anyways. My DD loves just looking at these books, so I think it may work.

We live in Arizona where it is hot, hot, hot in the summer. We tend to load up on schoolwork then and take it a bit easier when we can ejoy the outdoors. I've been putting off spelling and possibly Latin until June. We will also amp up the science And U.S Geography during the summer months. Really there is nothing else to do in these parts that doesn't involve "make-you-crazy heat."

We will have to finish math in the summer. Phonics and reading will continue for youngers. Also will be doing stuff like typing and learning to use the computer and MS Office. We will also be doing vocab we didn't cover and some art projects. I hope to get an early start on the next year, which will also be MFW.

Last Summer we did lite math, Science and a lit study (FIAR). We worked on it 4 days a week for about an hour or two a day (depended on how in dept the kids wanted to go with the FIAR books). The kids LOVED it.

This summer we have to play catch up because we are behind on some things (due to illness at the beginning of the year). IF we finish early we are going to focus on Spanish and History. These are the two subjects I slack on the most.

Yes, I do this. We start a full schedule in August and do every subject every day. We take a week off in September and a week off in November and then in December, we drop down to just math and reading.

When we start back up in January, we are usually way ahead in our math, grammar books and spelling books, so we no longer need to do those every day from January - May and it makes for a lighter schedule at a time when we're all starting to get burnt out. We also drop down to a 4 day schedule beginning in January and just do some light stuff on Fridays -- math, art and science experiments.

Then for June and July, we do just math and grammar, taking off weeks for various camps the kids are signed up for.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

So, I'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to recording hours -- my husband says I'm waaaay too honest about when our day was 4 hours instead of 4.5... My question is if you try to account for the summer school time in your school year attendance. As I'm asking this I realize that it is pretty petty, but I'm curious how others handle it. I'm definitely planning on having a little bit of daily math and music practice and lots of reading...

My state requires hours, not days, of attendance each year. The school year, by statute, runs July 1 to June 30 - so any school - public, private, homeschool, can start recording hours for the new year on July 1st. All hours from the previous year need to be met on or before June 30th. Your state should have a school year defined somewhere for you to know when you can start keeping track of hours and when you stop for the official school year.

I absolutely record any time spent during the summer months on things that are educational!

Wow. I love your schedule! :). Some great ideas!

Yes, I do this. We start a full schedule in August and do every subject every day. We take a week off in September and a week off in November and then in December, we drop down to just math and reading.

When we start back up in January, we are usually way ahead in our math, grammar books and spelling books, so we no longer need to do those every day from January - May and it makes for a lighter schedule at a time when we're all starting to get burnt out. We also drop down to a 4 day schedule beginning in January and just do some light stuff on Fridays -- math, art and science experiments.

Then for June and July, we do just math and grammar, taking off weeks for various camps the kids are signed up for.

Lisa

I want to do some summer school. Last year we did worksheets from a "summer book" each day relating to each grade. This summer, I want to do more than that. I was thinking just reading some books related to a history or geography study, and a couple activities related to those specific topics ( ancient Greece and United States geography, in particular). Then plugging in some fun science things. I want to do math on a consistent basis with my second grader, though, and keep my kindergartner's handwriting practiced. Of course, we will still be reading! I'm quite happy with how both are reading but want to make sure we keep that up! Since we will done with this school year the end of May, I was thinking of taking June off then doing a couple days a week in July, and the beginning in August. Then taking a break for two weeks, then starting up with the regular year!

Well, I don't know if this is what you mean, but we do Story of the World in the summer. We enjoy doing it but don't have the time over the school year on top of our "regular" curriculum, so we do it throughout the summer, just taking our time with it and moving along at whatever pace we get to it at.

We will be doing another typing program this summer as well.

Other than that, we just continue reading and taking various field trips and classes and camps and outings and so on over the summer.

Well, I don't know if this is what you mean, but we do Story of the World in the summer. We enjoy doing it but don't have the time over the school year on top of our "regular" curriculum, so we do it throughout the summer, just taking our time with it and moving along at whatever pace we get to it at.

We will be doing another typing program this summer as well.

Other than that, we just continue reading and taking various field trips and classes and camps and outings and so on over the summer.

This is what I meant, but I would basically NOT be doing Science and History over the "school year" except for reading about topics we discussed over summer. This was my Plan A.

Plan B- right now I am looking into HOD, skipping or skimming on the Science, and doing Apologia in depth over the summer.

:001_smile: Just wondering if it worked for others, a 3R's focus during the year wiht some reading for other subjects and then in depth fun over the summer. I was thinking it might make for a boring school year, but the days would be short and sweer and then they could pursue their own interests and I wouldnt be burnt out from long school days.

I have never schooled through summer but I plan to this time, about an hour a day just. My ds 5 has just started 100EZ lessons, so I can't stop that for summer, my dd 9 will focus on multiplication facts and penmanship, while my ds 7 will be using Write From the Start for fine motor/handwriting skills as this is an area of weakness. Hopefully it will help him:)