Menu

How much would you pay (remember family is BEGGING)???

How much would you pay?  

1. 1. How much would you pay?

• $300 or less
    • $300-350
    • $350-400
    • $400-500+

I guess I was assuming someone would be interested in buying one. Obviously I wouldn't even know if such a deal if we weren't :)

However, my kids aren't as young as yours either. It wouldn't even be a consideration if my kids were that young. My kids didn't have a game system at those ages.

GRRRRRR, no matter how I try to edit it, the above sounds snotty and it's not supposed to in the least....btw, I want it also. I'm looking forward to the sports package and the Wii Fit (an exercise program).

Depends on what titles. For instance, Sports comes with the Wii if you buy it new in the box. It has 5 "games" on that disk, so if you're buying on craigslist or something make sure if this means 6 games or if it means Sports plus one game. ;)

Wii with sports and one remote and one nunchuck runs $249 retail.

Play (another games title with multiple games on it) comes with an extra remote for $40.

Extra nunchucks are $20.

Other than that, MOST new Wii games are $50 new, retail.

Assuming that what you mean, from the way I read it, is that it comes with Sports PLUS 6 titles but no extra remotes or nunchucks. I'd say expect to pay at least 75% of retail, so you're looking at $550 plust tax NEW, so... I'd look for a deal of around $450 for these items used.

You can take the titles that you won't use back to craigslist (or wherever) and trade them for extra remotes, or titles you WILL use. Easily, I'm sure.

Now, I'd not buy these used sight-unseen. I'd want them to plug it in and show me that it works when I arrived to purchase. Too big of a commitment for that. ;)

Thanks so much....That is exactly the kind of information I needed.

Yes, it's just the normal Wii setup including Sports with 6 additional titles (they were given or else I might have messed up!) but no extra remotes or nunchucks.

I can sell what we won't use and get an extra set (or 3?) of remotes and nunchucks. We're also hoping to get MarioKart and Wii Fit one day but it won't be after I spent $400! :)

We like our Wii, but hey, we also like our 52" Hi-Def TV! :w00t:

We are not big video game fanatics, and video games are kind of a family affair around here vs a isolate and obsess affair. We have enough controllers that lots of us can play at once. My two girls (12 and almost 14) can box each each other, we can play each other in tennis, and we LOVE Mario. My oldest adores sport cars and she is unbeatable at that darn Matchbox racing game!!! We don't spend hours playing, but we do have some fun family nights.

I say, look at the price list that was posted and see if the offer is worth it to you. If you can afford it and you would enjoy it, then go for it!

P.S.- I think my hubby leaked that he's getting me the Wii workout mat for Mother's Day...oh boy! The Wii can get your heart rate up, but you have to really put yourself into it. You can also get by with little effort, KWIM?

I would only buy the system for $249 then find titles you want. Trying to sell them even if you haven't played them might not get you as much as you think.

Wii's are more plentiful now. I was in Wal-mart last week and they must have had a dozen of them in the case.

Rent games before you buy. You might find that things that sound good aren't really your style. Blockbuster has a good selection. I think wiiplay is a little boring, definitely not as fun as wiisports.

WiiFit will be $90 when it comes out May 20. I preordered it. :001_smile: Mario Cart is $50 with the wheel.

I have had my wii for over a year and use it for my workout. DDR and wii sports with wiifit soon.

If the other 6 games are each a $50 title then $500 is reasonable. We Wii in GREAT moderation, and I find that it is some incredibly fun family time - much more interactive than your average video game. And in defense of the cost, you aren't paying that money for one or two days of entertainment, it should last years. And I am excited about Wii Fit too! But even Wii Sports can be a workout if you stand there and box for 20 or 30 min...

Anyway, you should be able to sell the titles you don't want on ebay for close to full price.

We don't do any kind of video games here (no TV, etc.), but I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something used strictly for entertainment. :blink:

Well, for some families, this is a twice-weekly or more entertainment. If you have a $400 per year entertainment budget, then twice weekly use for us would work out to less than $4 for the whole family's entertainment which includes, for some of the games, a rather intense fitness component. I know that some people would not pay $4 for a session of entertainment for their whole family, preferring to go on walks or play on the park playground in the neighborhood or a game of cards or whatnot, but for us, less than $1 per person for an evening of good fun together is not a bad deal.

As most of us use our game systems for *more* than one year, by the second year, the "per play" cost is much lower. Honestly, I've bought unpopular board games that cost more per use, and I've bought books that have a higher "per read" cost because they ended up not being books that we or the kids read and re-read over and over again.

The upfront cost is rather high, that is true. If one's family doesn't "do" electronic gaming, I completely understand not wanting to spend the money, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes even the more frugal among us (entertainment-wise) spend even more than this without realizing it "strictly for entertainment."

Disclaimer: I do not own a Wii, play about four hours of video games per YEAR, and am not trying to convince anyone that they should buy video games.

I normally don't like video games (except for The Sims... I like that!) but I LOVE my Wii! I got really into Paper Mario :) I also love that you can buy some of the classic games that I remember from when I was young (Super Mario Brothers 3! Yay!) and they're only a few dollars.

We got ours at Costco. I can't remember how much it cost, but I think it was worth it. I'm thinking of getting one of the exercise programs, too.

We absolutely love our Wii. It's a game the entire family can play together. We bought ours for ds (12 years old) for Christmas. We had to stand in lines and get up at 3 am to get it but...we got it. lol We paid $500 for it at Sam's Club...which for us is a lot of money but it came with 3 remotes, 3 nunchucks, Wii sports, and 3 really good games (Brunswick Bowling, Mario Party and Paper Mario) that we would definitely play.

I think it's a great game system. It doesn't have all the violent games that other consoles offer AND you are up on your feet moving around.

I think it's definitely worth the money. I would just make sure you will play the games in the bundle because if you won't, it might be cheaper just to buy everything seperate...and remember you will need extra remotes and nunchucks.

I wish they weren't so expensive! We've never owned a game system, but we played with the Wii at cousins when we were on vacation in FL. It was so much fun and interactive!

When they aren't so $, we might consider it. If something like that were $100 (lol), it would be very, very tempting!

We don't do any kind of video games here (no TV, etc.), but I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something used strictly for entertainment. :blink:

It depends on your overall budget. If you're on a tight budget, the Wii would probably not be the highest priority item. OTOH, if you've got a generous line item for entertainment, the Wii might be well within budget and a cost-effective purchase for family game time.

Although dh and I have decided to avoid video games, I can understand their appeal and the Wii is very innovative. Of all the options out there, it looks like the most fun and least obsessive. If OP wants one, she should get one! It's not like you lose you Hive Mind membership card if you play Wii :D.

I said $300-350. We got a Wii for Christmas, but I was fortunate and actually only had to pay $70 for it through a customer voting thing that Amazon was having. By the time we bought extra controllers, and a couple of games, accessories, I think it added up to about $200. :D

I said the 300-350 range because you said you wouldn't play some of those games included. If you don't want all six of the games, you could probably sell them on e-bay and get some of your money back. Honestly, the games we play most on it as a family are the Wii Sports and Wii Play.

Good luck to you.

I think EBGames maybe one of them, but otherwise Google or check current Ebay auctions for the used value of the games first.

I see some games coming down the $25 range now and used they may only have a resale value of $10 or so. Other games that are newer releases, and are in excellent condition will sell for the $35 range used and $50 new.

Personally because of the wear and tear of video games is hard to see from the outside, I don't buy used, but I agree with the 75% of retail value for like new condition of the system, but only 50% of the games. It is hard to tell if the game sat on a shelf unused for a year, or if it was carried back and forth in a backpack to a friends house every weekend.

I hope you get a good deal if you are shopping,

Tap

We love our Wii!! I got a bundle at Wal-Mart online where I got the pick the games-I think 4-and extra controllers for around $500. We got it at Christmas time. It's great for rainy days, and all 3 kids can play together. I just pre-ordered the Wii Fit from Wal-Mart online. Have fun with yours!

Sarah

Thanks for the feedback y'all....

Hubby was extremely concerned about the warranty issue. It's one thing that they said it would work when we got there, but what if a week later it didn't? And then there were only 3 games on our list of games to eventually get so we'd be worrying about reselling games, some we'd rather not even be associated with THAT much.

So we decided that we'll just get the wii at the store and be happy with the sports pack. Later, we'll get at least MarioKart and SuperSmash and Wii Fit (probably in the opposite order). But it'll take time and selling other things to get.

We really DON"T have the money to spend IMO, but this is that eco stim check and we figured we'll use part of it for entertainment. Doing that is a right we have, imo, as is playing video games on weekends after "keeping first the kingdom" and chores.

Anyway, I appreciate the discourse because it did help me feel better about our choice :)

Thanks

I would only buy the system for $249 then find titles you want. Trying to sell them even if you haven't played them might not get you as much as you think.

Wii's are more plentiful now. I was in Wal-mart last week and they must have had a dozen of them in the case.

Rent games before you buy. You might find that things that sound good aren't really your style. Blockbuster has a good selection. I think wiiplay is a little boring, definitely not as fun as wiisports.

WiiFit will be $90 when it comes out May 20. I preordered it. :001_smile: Mario Cart is $50 with the wheel.

I have had my wii for over a year and use it for my workout. DDR and wii sports with wiifit soon.

:iagree:

I, personally, don't like buying these types of things used unless I can get it pretty cheap. I don't know how other people treat their stuff and I am not going to risk paying near new price for something that may not have been treated nicely and doesn't hold up like it should.

Is this new in box, never used? I would maybe consider it then, but if that is the case I still would rather buy it from a store because at least then you have a return policy if something is wrong.

I, too, recommend renting games first to see if you like it and will play it. It hurts to pay $50 for a game that sits there because no one likes it.

We love our Wii. But I would not buy a used one.

We do however buy used games at Gamestop. (They gurantee them.)

I have to pick up Mario Kart today and I've preordered the Wiifit. We have Super Smash Brothers and it's great for all 4 boys to play together. (So is Mario Party 8)

We don't usually rent games because the kids usually know what they like.

The only "blech" game we've had is one of the Sonic games.

but some of these replies seem sort of flippant. The OP asked how much to spend for one, then had certain price ranges. She didn't ask if she should buy one. I realize many people don't "do" electronic games, but to me, some of it comes across as if they're looking down on those that do.

:iagree:

But to answer the question, I really think I would rather just buy a new one. Then I would know that it hadn't been dropped or abused in any way, and also I would feel comfortable that the warranty would be intact. Sometimes warranties don't extend past the original owner.

Dh's grandma bought a Wii and turned us on to it. We're hoping to get one someday.