Menu

NC WTM (House Convention)

Okay, I received several messages while I was away from the computer with contact information for those of us in NC. I'm starting a new thread, so we can more easily talk, since our replies are getting lost in the mixture on the other thread. For anyone that hasn't sent me anything - if you live in the area (even the mountains, beach, etc. and would be willing to drive to the more central part of the state) please send your contact info. to davis98us@gmail.com

So, Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington, Raleigh, Fayetteville, etc...just send me the info. Do me a favor, if you're from a small town, just tell me in your email what the nearest major city is, so I can group people by regions (without having to break out the maps!). This will be helpful for all of us, so maybe we can form smaller groups that would like to get together at some point. *I can't tell you how long I've wanted to get a group together to tackle things like science, from a different perspective than what is typically offered in our local co-ops. Oh, a girl can dream, can't she? ;)

Include your name/address/email. You can also list anything useful for us to know (contacts you have, skills, etc). I will compile everything and send out something tomorrow to everyone so we can stay in contact.

ETA: Include your board name if you'd like, so we can figure out who we are, LOL.

We need to meet sometime soon, virtually or in person, to get a proposal together to submit.

I can't wait!

Edited by amydavis
Thought of something else!

Don't know anything about this. I live in the Charlotte area. What is the proposal?

God Bless,

Elise in NC

We need to agree on a place to host the home conference idea that SWB mentioned. Once we have that, we can contact her people to see if they would like to come to our area.

:lurk5:

Wow, I go out for a trip to Target and the library for 2 hours and a new thread opens up!

I pm'd Amy. Have seen several people here from the triangle area.

Ha! I went to Target in between too! Mostly for new storage containers for writing, drawing and coloring implements.

I put in the request to use our office and the guys approved it as long as it is on a weekend so not to disrupt business hours.

Our office is north Raleigh right off 540, near Triangle Town Center. There is a a conference room that probably hold up to 40 women and a smaller conference room and a big square hallway where people can put up tables with their curriculum. There are bathrooms for both genders. It's much better than my house (that needs repair and has parking issues).

I will send this info into Susan's assistant tonight.

I put in the request to use our office and the guys approved it as long as it is on a weekend so not to disrupt business hours.

Our office is north Raleigh right off 540, near Triangle Town Center. There is a a conference room that probably hold up to 40 women and a smaller conference room and a big square hallway where people can put up tables with their curriculum. There are bathrooms for both genders. It's much better than my house (that needs repair and has parking issues).

I will send this info into Susan's assistant tonight.

That sounds perfect. I would be very surprised if we can't get 40 people together for this, and in fact, we might have more that want to come.

We have to have snacks, chocolate, water, tea and coffee; name tags; a set up crew and a clean up crew; and someone to pick up and drop off Susan at the airport. (I would love the extra chat time so count me in as a volunteer. :auto: ) I'm sure there's more that I'm not even thinking of, but those are the obvious things that come to mind.

Someone will need to start tracking estimated costs, then we'll need to assess interest so we can figure out how much to charge per person. I'm a CPA and would be glad to help with that.

I know of people not on the boards who I'm sure would be interested. I was thinking of posting on my facebook, "If you'd be interested in a small, intimate homeschool conference with Susan Wise Bauer in the Raleigh area in 2012, please post a comment." Do you think that would be appropriate?

I am so excited; I hope we can make this happen!

That sounds perfect. I would be very surprised if we can't get 40 people together for this, and in fact, we might have more that want to come.

We have to have snacks, chocolate, water, tea and coffee; name tags; a set up crew and a clean up crew; and someone to pick up and drop off Susan at the airport. (I would love the extra chat time so count me in as a volunteer. :auto: ) I'm sure there's more that I'm not even thinking of, but those are the obvious things that come to mind.

Someone will need to start tracking estimated costs, then we'll need to assess interest so we can figure out how much to charge per person. I'm a CPA and would be glad to help with that.

I know of people not on the boards who I'm sure would be interested. I was thinking of posting on my facebook, "If you'd be interested in a small, intimate homeschool conference with Susan Wise Bauer in the Raleigh area in 2012, please post a comment." Do you think that would be appropriate?

I am so excited; I hope we can make this happen!

I know a few off the boards as well that interested.

If there's enough of us, we could look at splitting into a Raleigh and a Charlotte one, maybe even Asheville? I'm sure we could round up some additional folks in the various cities to make it worthwhile. It might make things more attractive to SWB to come to the area---fly into one city and fly out of the next one? Combine with hitting somewhere in southern Virginia? I'm guessing that the Greenville, SC area wouldn't be a high priority since she was just there this spring.

Karen

If there's enough of us, we could look at splitting into a Raleigh and a Charlotte one, maybe even Asheville? I'm sure we could round up some additional folks in the various cities to make it worthwhile. It might make things more attractive to SWB to come to the area---fly into one city and fly out of the next one? Combine with hitting somewhere in southern Virginia? I'm guessing that the Greenville, SC area wouldn't be a high priority since she was just there this spring.

Karen

I'm hoping to get more names through the night. I've compiled a list of about 20 right now. Most of these are in the Raleigh area. There are a couple in Wilmington, Asheville, Charlotte, Fayetteville areas too. Considering that this doesn't even take into account what could be gathered from our own local contacts...I think we very well could have enough to do more than one area. However, we may be able to plan something slightly larger based in the Raleigh area. I'll send out the list tomorrow, and we can get to brainstorming!

I'm hoping to get more names through the night. I've compiled a list of about 20 right now. Most of these are in the Raleigh area. There are a couple in Wilmington, Asheville, Charlotte, Fayetteville areas too. Considering that this doesn't even take into account what could be gathered from our own local contacts...I think we very well could have enough to do more than one area. However, we may be able to plan something slightly larger based in the Raleigh area. I'll send out the list tomorrow, and we can get to brainstorming!

I will probably have 5 more off the top of my head that would probably come but are not on the boards.

I will probably have 5 more off the top of my head that would probably come but are not on the boards.

I've got a few friends who are also interested in coming- one, maybe two, here in Greensboro with me & another friend in Charlotte.

Well, what I'll do, for now, is put those numbers next to your names, so it gives an idea of how many participants we're looking at in different areas.

Just to update. It's taking a little longer than I thought because I'm pulling it over to google docs. I'm trying to make sure everyone can easily open the list since I created it on my Mac. I'm running out to pick up my son from an envirothon competition, then take him and his sister to dance...ugh. (It's rainy and dreary, which means I do not want to leave my house!). Anyway, when I get in, which will be around dinner time, I'll finish entering all of you wonderful North Carolinian gals into my contact list...

So, expect the list by this evening. I have to get it done before Grey's Anatomy...(don't judge me...) :D

So even though my one and only is now a college student, I have asked Amy to keep me in the loop. This gathering might give me an excuse to discuss Math! :D

Jane

Which, as it turns out, I would love to talk to you about math! I'm dealing with two children, with such opposite needs in that area.

I just sent out the contact info to everyone that sent me an email address. Check your mailboxes and make sure the information is correct. I only sent email info at this point, and general location info. I can send something out later with more specific info if needed.

If anyone wants to be added, contact me at my email!

I just sent out the contact info to everyone that sent me an email address. Check your mailboxes and make sure the information is correct. I only sent email info at this point, and general location info. I can send something out later with more specific info if needed.

If anyone wants to be added, contact me at my email!

Thanks for all the hard work you put into compiling this list, Amy! Unfortunately, I am not able to open the document....any suggestions?