Menu

S/O Why does my front-loading washer stink?

We have a small front-loading washer in our basement that we're using full-time. I probably do three to four loads per day.

I keep the door and the detergent dispenser open all the time that the washer isn't running. I use a paper towel or a Clorox wipe to dry out the rubber seal when I'm finished with the last load. At least once a day I do a bleach load. And yet the washer smells mildewy. You can actually smell a musty smell when you walk in our front door -- and the washer is in the basement!

What's going wrong here? What should I do? Why isn't the bleach killing any mildew that tries to grow?

Let's just say that I HATE our front-loading washer!!! The towels are mildewy far too often for my taste. We've used vinegar in loads and the TIDE front-loader cleaners. They both help, but you have to do it at least once a week to keep the odor down. My trusty top-loader worked for 15 years without a bump and I'd take it back it I could find is again....

I had this problem during the all-too-brief shining moment (year) that we had our own w/d. I believe that I bought a product at the grocery store -- made by Tide, I think? -- that was specifically designed for cleaning washing machines. I followed the instructions on the package and it worked great.

We were told to leave the washer door open when not in use to prevent this. It does work, but seriously - who wants to leave the washer door open all the time. (BTW - leaving it open allows the excess water to evaporate and not allow mold / mildew to grow due a dark, wet environment.)

Mine NEVER smells, and I've had it several years now. The keys are to leave the door open and use a POWDERED detergent. That's what I read online, and it has worked out for me. Yes, once a month run the super-hot sanitizer cycle to clean it. But I think it's the powdered, low residue detergent that is the key. I use Charlies laundry soap, haven't tried other brands. I think it may have been on the boards here where I found out about it, because I was looking for a fragrance-free, HE option. If you don't need ff, I think my SIL uses the powder in big tubs from Sears.

I've had front loaders for over ten years, and love them, and have always been surprised about this odor complaint, as it seems so common. But I wash diapers every day on 90C, or 205F (in America), and I guess that's why I haven't had the problem myself. I do also leave the door open.

I would look at a couple of other things after you've thoroughly checked the seal.

Is it very humid in your basement itself? Depending on the climate, you may be getting enough condensation that even though you leave the door open and wipe the seal dry that you're able to grow mold. I'd try adding a dehumidifier downstairs if that's the case.

My other thought is along the lines of the detergent residue. I use only 1/2 of the recommended soap in our loads of wash. We always have plenty of suds during washing, and we get a clean rinse during the rinse cycle. We were having issues with detergent buildup before then---and skin rashes on my super sensitive kids.

Beyond that, I'd have a technician come in to deal with it. Some models are more prone to having issues. It's never been an issue with our whirlpool Duet---it must be incredibly frustrating for you. :grouphug:

With Charlie's soap, I use one scoop (not even 2 tablespoons, a small scoop) for a full load in my Whirlpool Duet. I put 1 tablespoon (not measured, just pour) into the softener dispenser instead of fabric softener. Who knows, maybe the vinegar helps keep down the bad bugs too? Maybe it helps rinse things clean? In any case, that's what I do and I have NO problems.

I think sometimes that mold and stuff can get so set in you have to get a new boot (the rubber gasket) to get rid of it. Definitely try the tablets you can buy to clean it and run it on the super-hot cycle. If that and new soap doesn't take care of it, then call the service tech. But if you get a new boot, change your soap and whatnot to prevent it from happening again. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

We were told to leave the washer door open when not in use to prevent this. It does work, but seriously - who wants to leave the washer door open all the time. (BTW - leaving it open allows the excess water to evaporate and not allow mold / mildew to grow due a dark, wet environment.)

We just leave it open for a couple hours after the last load. Also, we wipe down the seal inside to make sure it dries out. Also, lint seems to get stuck in there, so wiping it out helps clean it out. We use vinegar as our fabric softener, so that seems to help. The only time it smells is if I leave a load in there overnight. Then I end up needing to rewash it.

Have you pulled out the detergent dispenser drawer? I did, and was appalled to find it covered in mold. I hate my front loader. :glare:

Did it come out by running your super-hot cycle with one of those cleaner tabs? Does your machine have a built-in water heater? The original versions of many of these machines didn't include an onboard heater, meaning the water only gets as hot as your hot water heater puts it out. And of course part of what gets pulled in is cold from sitting in the pipes AND the machine uses very little to start with. So if the machine doesn't have an onboard water heater and you get any build-up of residue to feed the bugs, yes that's going to get ugly quickly. But you can turn up your home's water heater (ask dh first obviously), run that hottest cycle monthly, use the cleaner tabs, run vinegar as a rinse, and switch to a HE powder to reduce residue.

All of the above is why we got rid of ours and went to a top loader. Got a Maytag Bravos and I love it! It doesn't have that middle arm so I can wash huge loads, even a king size blanket. No odor, no mildew, clothes are clean and fresh. Plus it actually weighs each load so it is energy efficient. Seems ridiculous that you buy an energy efficient front loader then have to use extra chemicals, and tons of HOT water, to use them. Sort of defeats the purpose. I did an online search when contemplating getting rid of ours and discovered that there are lots of class action suits over these things.

Did it come out by running your super-hot cycle with one of those cleaner tabs? Does your machine have a built-in water heater? The original versions of many of these machines didn't include an onboard heater, meaning the water only gets as hot as your hot water heater puts it out.

Interesting. I have no idea about the heater. It's only about three years old. I use HE detergent and very little softener. I just take the drawer out every now and then and scrape out the gunk. Ugh, I just hate it. :tongue_smilie:

You know, I thought I was doing everything right. I've been:

-- using a pretty small amount of HE detergent;

-- doing a bleach load at least once a day;

-- drying out the rubber seal after all the loads are finished;

-- leaving the door and the detergent drawer open all the time the washer isn't in use.

I'll have to get some of the Affresh tablets when I go to the store next. But it doesn't just smell unpleasant; it smells mildewy. That's what scares me -- I don't want the mildew smell spreading and getting all over our recently redecorated basement. (The basement is perfectly dry, by the way; in fact, it's the warmest area of the house in the winter.)

I may have to get a Sears repairman out here to really take the washer apart and find out what's wrong.

We have a front loader (Whirlpool) and I love it. I haven't had any trouble with the odor but my laundry room is very bright and sunny with a huge window. I leave the door to my washer open between loads and my washer dries in no time AND I use the Affresh tablets every 30 loads.

My soap dispenser gets icky, I have to wipe it out frequently...I keep meaning to check to see if I can throw that thing in my dishwasher.

You know, I thought I was doing everything right. I've been:

-- using a pretty small amount of HE detergent;

-- doing a bleach load at least once a day;

-- drying out the rubber seal after all the loads are finished;

-- leaving the door and the detergent drawer open all the time the washer isn't in use.

I'll have to get some of the Affresh tablets when I go to the store next. But it doesn't just smell unpleasant; it smells mildewy. That's what scares me -- I don't want the mildew smell spreading and getting all over our recently redecorated basement. (The basement is perfectly dry, by the way; in fact, it's the warmest area of the house in the winter.)

I may have to get a Sears repairman out here to really take the washer apart and find out what's wrong.

Did you see the mention of the hot water heater? Does yours have one? If it doesn't, then the water isn't getting hot enough to clean the gunk out. And are you using powder or liquid detergent? When I did my research before buying my machines (which I've had for 3 1/2 years now), I read specifically that you had to use POWDER to avoid problems. But if your machine doesn't have an onboard heater to crank up the temps, then that's what I'd look at. The year I bought mine they seemed to be transitioning. Before the hot water heater had been an option, and it was starting to become more standard, as they started it helped avoid problems.