Menu

Why you SHOULD drink coffee...

I love that article! I don't drink a lot of coffee (1-3 cups a day), but I sure love it and I totally agree with the headache thing. I had a horrible sinus headache the other day, drank a cup of coffee with 2 tylenols and it was gone, and tylenol on its own usually doesn't do much for me.

It wasn't mentioned, but it can also raise your blood pressure.

Not really a good factor for many, but I have LOW blood pressure this pregnancy. It is utterly draining and exhausting. It takes everything I have to get out of bed, which is very much not my inclination nor habit.

A little cup if coffee, which is all I can handle without getting nauseated, really helps give me just enough boost to function. Not enough to raise my blood pressure to normal, but enough that I can make myself stay awake and function mostly coherently.

Ok, I need some help with this one.

I just went off of coffee on Saturday of this week to start a 3 week cleanse. The nutritionist has me off of coffee completely. There is a list of other stuff I can't have as well.

She didn't say anything about future coffee use, but she did say that because of my fatty liver, I need a liver cleanse without stimulants like coffee. (it also has to do with adrenals.)

The article says this:

3. Your liver loves it: OK, so the research here is limited, but it looks like the more coffee people drink, the lower their incidence of cirrhosis and other liver diseases. One analysis of nine studies found that every 2-cup increase in daily coffee intake reduced liver cancer risk by 43 percent. Again, it’s those antioxidants—chlorogenic and caffeic acids—and caffeine that might prevent liver inflammation and inhibit cancer cells.

So, is my nutritionist wrong?

Dawn

I'm so glad to hear of this! I have not had coffee since the first week of Nov. Until yesterday. I had a hormonal headache that would not quit. It started Friday night/Sat morning and by Sunday morning I was more than ready to get rid of it. Advil had not touched it. Ice packs, hot baths, etc. - nothing. A nice cup of coffee did the trick.

There are also health benefits for those around you. Those around me anyway. I'm convinced that the best way for them to have healthier happier (longer!) lives is for me to have my coffee. :D

:lol::lol::lol: I completely agree!

DawnM, I am curious about your "fatty" liver. I had an ultrasound and CT scan to rule out a mass and the current determination (to be rechecked in 6 mos) is fatty intrusion in the liver. Can you point me to anything on the web or any books worth reading on the subject? I honestly never thought about doing a liver cleanse. Now I'm intrigued.

I was having heart palpitations. I only drink one cup a day. Decaf isn't great because of the chemicals used to decaffeinate it. What is a person to do? I do enjoy that boost in the morning.

You can get naturally decaf w/out the chemicals. I don't know if that comes in actually good coffee, though. ;)

Ok, I need some help with this one.

I just went off of coffee on Saturday of this week to start a 3 week cleanse. The nutritionist has me off of coffee completely. There is a list of other stuff I can't have as well.

She didn't say anything about future coffee use, but she did say that because of my fatty liver, I need a liver cleanse without stimulants like coffee. (it also has to do with adrenals.)

The article says this:

3. Your liver loves it: OK, so the research here is limited, but it looks like the more coffee people drink, the lower their incidence of cirrhosis and other liver diseases. One analysis of nine studies found that every 2-cup increase in daily coffee intake reduced liver cancer risk by 43 percent. Again, it’s those antioxidants—chlorogenic and caffeic acids—and caffeine that might prevent liver inflammation and inhibit cancer cells.

So, is my nutritionist wrong?

Dawn

Well...I don't know how seriously I'd take the article. I guess maybe it's worth more research.

Generally, I tend to assume dr's know their *patients* & maybe you have special circumstances? But I wouldn't reject his/her advice on a Yahoo article alone. ;)