Menu

How involved do you get in politics?

To me, politics are very important. It really upsets me when I find that a person chooses not to vote, for various reasons.

Personally, I study candidates and issues far in advance. I try to vote in primaries and general elections.

I also try to talk people into voting in general, and specifically for the same candidate or stance on the issues as me.

I would prefer, however, somebody who studies the issue or candidates, and votes differently than I do, than a person who does not vote, or even just votes based solely on political party.

So, how involved do you get in politics? Why do you choose to vote or not vote?

So, how involved do you get in politics? Why do you choose to vote or not vote?

I don't get very involved anymore since political talk is banned here. :D

I don't vote if I've recently moved. We generally move in the fall so often times I'm getting to a new district and don't know the players just as it is time to vote.

I don't get very involved anymore since political talk is banned here. :D

I don't vote if I've recently moved. We generally move in the fall so often times I'm getting to a new district and don't know the players just as it is time to vote.

I read the sticky, it appeared that this thread would be allowed, since it isn't partisan at all...:confused:

I read the sticky, it appeared that this thread would be allowed, since it isn't partisan at all...:confused:

Oh, this should be okay. "Should" being the operative word.

My post wasn't a jab at unallowed threads. Just a simple fact. I don't have many real life people to discuss politics with. Dh and BFFs pretty much have the same political views I do, so what's to talk about with them.

I used to be very involved in politics. Then I had kids. I figure right now I'm doing good to vote in the main elections (I'll vote in primaries when I know enough/care who wins. But I won't vote if I don't have knowledge) and raise future voters.

don't let that hold you down... ;)

kids are very handy in handing out flyers, helping put door knob hangers out, and [as they get a bit older] giving speeches at various rallies, meetings, and other events. My 16yo has known all our city councilmen for years now...and the city staff knows him too. He can file an open records request, follow a council agenda packet w/ some proficiency, and has no problem asking our city manager for clarifications on issues. Even my youngest can wear a T-shirt and hold signs and flyers. :-)

my biggest problem isn't voting w/o knowledge, but knowing a bit too well what the choices really are...

We are all heavily involved in local city politics, need to catch up at the County and State level, but vote pretty much as close to strict conservative here as possible....r3volution. ;)

Peek! It's so good to see you here!

Dh and I are involved in politics at the local and state level. We research candidates carefully and support the ones we like financially and other wise. We've taken dc to rallies, meetings, and other political events.

Of course we vote and encourage others to, also.

Edited by Aggie

I vote almost every time there's anything to vote on. The only times I haven't, I simply forgot to vote that day. :tongue_smilie: Last year, I volunteered for a state house race. I did the design work for this woman's campaign as she ran against an incumbent. She won. :)

I am more involved in politics than anyone I know. I vote in primaries and general elections, work for certain candidates (door knocking, phone calls), donate money to those candidates and groups I feel support what I stand for, post articles to my FB pages, discuss politics with some authority when it comes up. The more conservative the better.

don't let that hold you down... ;)

kids are very handy in handing out flyers, helping put door knob hangers out, and [as they get a bit older] giving speeches at various rallies, meetings, and other events. My 16yo has known all our city councilmen for years now...and the city staff knows him too. He can file an open records request, follow a council agenda packet w/ some proficiency, and has no problem asking our city manager for clarifications on issues. Even my youngest can wear a T-shirt and hold signs and flyers. :-)

Yeah, my husband took my son to a party at the Austin capitol about a year ago... but it is still hard with babies. I do expect we'll get back into politics as the children get older.

I am very involved. I work for campaigns I believe in, donate money, go to rallies, and of course vote. I also provide transportation to those that want to go to the polls and need rides.

I do not get involved in politics on facebook or here, although I have posted things on my FB page that could seem political since they are current events, but it isn't to make a political point.

I will say that I have gotten more cynical and I am disgusted by how easily manipulated many people are when it comes to issues. I used to want everyone to vote, and could be somewhat rabid about the issue. But sometimes I wonder in the darkness of my heart, if there shouldn't be a basic requirement of understanding before someone votes. (yes I know how bad that sounds)

I have mostly retired my political interests. The closest I get anymore to getting involved in politics is watching the odd youtube videos of people quoting bylaws while ranting about their neighbours.

I vote in every election I'm eligible for.

Sometimes I discuss politics with others - as long as it's a true discussion and not just an angry free for all.

I discuss politics with students at times at school. When doing this, I am careful NOT to mention which side I'm on. I mainly encourage them to look at all sides and will play "Devil's Advocate" most of the time - being sure they know the reasons behind the "other" side whichever that may be. Too many just parrot their parents or commercials IF they even know who or what is being voted for/on. I want them to think through things and realize all is not always black and white.

I make sure my own boys understand the reasons behind the different issues so they can carefully consider their own views as to which option is more likely to "work" knowing nothing works for everyone 100% of the time. My boys will know which side I am on and why.

I don't donate to campaigns or otherwise get involved.

We are all heavily involved in local city politics, need to catch up at the County and State level, but vote pretty much as close to strict conservative here as possible....r3volution. ;)

Where have you been hiding yourself, girl....er, I mean woman?

Long time no see. Glad to see you back.:seeya:

I agree politics are important, however I find them low on my personal list of priorities. I just deal with things as they come, rather than pro-actively seek change or to keep the status quo. It is what it is, and all of that. I've moved in response to changes I didn't like, and figure the option is always there if I need it. I also don't complain about politics, local or national. If I cared enough to complain, I'd imagine I'd care enough to spend the time learning the issues and candidates and bring about the change I desire.

I haven't voted. I'm not against voting, I'm not apathetic about voting, I just haven't felt passionately enough about an issue or candidate to do it. Yet.

Well - not true. I did attempt to vote at the last presidential election, but was out of the country and forgot to get an absentee ballot ahead of time. I obviously felt moved to vote, but apparently not strongly enough to make sure I could.

Many issues are relevant to my life, both professional and personal, so it's not like I don't appreciate the importance of keeping up with politics. I think part of that is the lack of true dialogue and genuine interest in bantering back and forth WRT politics. It's all I'm right, You're wrong and Here is Why. Yawn. I could probably get more into it if I didn't feel like everyone from newpapers to news anchors to yes - even friends - was trying to market their own beliefs to me. It'd be different if it were a truly philosophical discussion with the goal of exchanging rather than talking over and "educating" others.

I vote and consider myself a reasonably informed person. The only people I ever discuss politics and/or religion with are my dh, my sister, my Mom and occasionally my best girl friend. Otherwise, I am far too hot headed and WAY more conservative than the vast majority of my friends. It's a line I just do not cross. I avoid even threads here that have the potential of going political because they usually make me so mad I want to throw my laptop across the room.

..... I also don't complain about politics, local or national. If I cared enough to complain, I'd imagine I'd care enough to spend the time learning the issues and candidates and bring about the change I desire.

Ya know, i can appreciate that not every body is called to certain issues. I just wish more people wouldn't complain when they haven't been involved, lol.

I will say this: I have noticed that at the local level, many times by the time you 'see' it as a citizen the deal has already been hashed out by the city staff and other local players for the last 5 years. It's then too late to move on it with any degree of effectiveness.

I do encourage people to at least read over the minutes of the city council/ EDC meetings/ Parks and rec meetings every few months. It usually doesn't take that long and you don't have to go anywhere, lol.

Dh and I are both politically minded, but in very different ways. I support the coffee party, research issues, vote, and talk to others about their views and votes, and generally try to encourage an open, logical, and sane exchange of ideas (often hard to come by around here).

Dh is totally convinced the system is broken beyond repair and actively encourages everyone who brings up politics not to vote at all. He is very intelligent and keeps up to date on current events, and has logical arguments to support his views, I'm just not as pessimistic as he is.

I find it difficult to find people that can talk rationally about their beliefs and opinions as well.

My experiences in the past few years with such a polarized atmosphere in our country has trained me to just not speak at all and simply vote. I have many friends who are the complete opposite of me, who are extremely vocal and emotionally charged about their beliefs, and I don't feel free to voice my opinions. If I do, our relationships would likely be altered, and at this point, I've chosen to salvage the relationship rather than say my piece.

It really makes me sad, though, that so many people, more than ever it seems, can't allow for differing viewpoints without disparaging them. And this coming from my liberal friends, who are supposed to be so tolerant. :(

I voted in the Presidential elections and the local when I know a bit about who's in them (sometimes I haven't taken the time to learn about them). I also write my senator about issues that I know are coming up (and he writes back and has actually followed up later with a further response once). I want to protest but most are an hour away & with little kids that hasn't seemed practical.

Very political here. Love to discuss it, read about what's going one, etc...My dad ran for State Representative (twice); I have toyed with the possibility of running for office. The only thing I know for sure that I will do is when this season of homeschooling is done, I will be going back to school to get a Doctorate in Constitutional Law...this is my passion.

Plus, I come from a looooooonnnnnggggg line of very political -- and very vocal --people.

As a matter of fact, the only time I ever remember my dad raising his voice to me (and it also came complete with a fist bang on the counter for emphasis) was when I was in college and had just told him I was going to participate in a peace rally. He asked me what my reasons were and I didn't have an answer. Then...the raised voice and fist-bang. He didn't care that I was going to do it (although he is very conservative...as am I...and a retired Army Lt. Col); what made him mad was that I had NO IDEA why I was doing it.

His point was made and I have since always known why and what I believe about issues.

Also, we live by the unwritten credo: "If you complain about something, you expose your requirement to do something about it."

Very political here. Love to discuss it, read about what's going one, etc...My dad ran for State Representative (twice); I have toyed with the possibility of running for office. The only thing I know for sure that I will do is when this season of homeschooling is done, I will be going back to school to get a Doctorate in Constitutional Law...this is my passion.

Plus, I come from a looooooonnnnnggggg line of very political -- and very vocal --people.

As a matter of fact, the only time I ever remember my dad raising his voice to me (and it also came complete with a fist bang on the counter for emphasis) was when I was in college and had just told him I was going to participate in a peace rally. He asked me what my reasons were and I didn't have an answer. Then...the raised voice and fist-bang. He didn't care that I was going to do it (although he is very conservative...as am I...and a retired Army Lt. Col); what made him mad was that I had NO IDEA why I was doing it.

His point was made and I have since always known why and what I believe about issues.

Also, we live by the unwritten credo: "If you complain about something, you expose your requirement to do something about it."

I agree with your dad! I think I would like him haha.

Very involved here. Both dh and I. All 3 of our boys are as well.

Retaining freedom requires vigilance. I feel we can't just sit back and assume someone else will guard it for us, or that it will always be there.

It's much easier to preserve our freedoms than to have to fight to get them back once they are lost.

Read and discuss politics ranging from local to international regularly.

We write/call/email our reps.

We put yard signs in our yard.

We do phone banking.

We've worked on several campaigns, including kids- phoning, lit drops, making signs, distributing signs

My dd spent a good portion of last summer in GA working on a campaign.

How do you all involve your children into politics? My thinking is that I want to impart my values to my children and I pray they will be politically active.

I mean, I want them to be able to think for themselves and make their own choices of what to believe. ;)

How do you all involve your children into politics? My thinking is that I want to impart my values to my children and I pray they will be politically active.

I mean, I want them to be able to think for themselves and make their own choices of what to believe. ;)

I think the best first step is to organize a voter registration drive outside a store. kids can help make signs, hand out applications, and learn what races are coming up [National/ State/ Local]. For example:

my 16yo can make phone calls and set up a time/date for the event, send in announcements to the paper advertising the event, research upcoming elections, and make bulletins encouraging people to vote, when and where to vote, and who's running.

My 13yo can help research and make the bulletins, fold them, help make signs, and help organize the materials [tape, paperweights, snacks, table, chairs, etc]

My 9yo can help fold bulletins, practice learning who is running, and hand out bulletins to people ["Hi! would you like some information on our upcoming election?"]

My 7yo likes handing out bulletins and can learn the phrase above too. She's kinda shy so she probably won't get past telling what race is coming up...

My 5yo is a lot more outgoing and might even learn the names of some candidates.

Even small children can wear pins/buttons or a shirt that says 'Vote' or 'Elect so and so to this office'. Kids are MAGNETS when it comes to getting people's attention.

=================

We make doorknob hangers and go door to door. Most little kids LOVE being the one to ring the bell/ knock on the door, and hand the info out. I try to let them say the opening lines and then step in to answer questions. My older kids do more research on the issues/candidates and can often answer questions. Even my 5yo likes putting up campaign signs: we had about twenty campaign signs in our front yard scattered all over like wildflowers when Mr. Boo got his city council signs in, lol.

parades: usually for awareness. the more people the better- even short young people. :)

Meetings:

all my kids have attended meetings. even a toddler can be kept busy and learn how to behave/ where to sit in a meeting. The older kids grab an agenda and follow along. My 16yo knows how to fill out a form to request to speak for citizen comments and watches the city website for upcoming meetings/ events.

Internet: even small children can learn how to start researching candidates. every few days check certain sites [city/ party/ state/etc] and let them help you navigate. Some sites have printable flyers that the kids can help print and post.

Writing letters: it doesn't have to be something deep and profound. Even writing to talk about a park or playground is still important.

Meeting candidates: My kids all recognize our city officials and some of our county/state officials. Our city officials know my kids by sight, and they know my oldest by name. ;) Make trading cards for them if nothing else, lol. It's important that they realize the mayor is just another guy, and that our City Councilmen have likes, dislikes, and personalities too.

Attend events: volunteer to help set up and hand out info. Simply by working w/ like minded people they start realizing the importance and rewards of service.

Discussion boards: this can be tricky...not all political discussions are age-appropriate, but my oldest can track down political discussion boards and search for topics of interest, and see what is of interest to others. He's exercising discernment on when to abandon a topic, lol.

anywho, that's some things we do. Next year will be our city's elections for council/ mayor. I may end up filing if we have someone running unopposed. Our running joke is that any campaign signs we get will only have our last name on them so ds can inherit them when he's 18, lol.