Menu

Raising pre/teen daughter's....what age: makeup, trendy dress, ears pierrced, dating?

Provocative clothing -- not while under my roof. I would encourage DD to aim for attractive and classic, but not super-trendy or immodest. (Even aside from issues of modesty, I'm not a huge fan of faddish sorts of clothes, especially ones that change frequently.) Currently, my DD (9 soon) prefers long dresses/skirts, but with knee-length ones, she often wears tights or capris or leggings.

Dating -- no idea. We'd really like to encourage more of a courtship sort of thing, rather than casual dating. I think we're really going to have to decide this one when the time comes, rather than making a blanket statement.

Makeup -- not sure yet. 13 doesn't seem unreasonable for a little makeup experimentation, but I'd say a few years older for much more than that. (I have allowed extremely small amounts for dance recitals for the last couple of years, mainly because DD felt envious that the other girls her age were allowed. I think I did a little blush on her, but definitely nowhere near what the other girls her age were wearing. She understands that that was just for a very specific and special occasion though.)

Ears pierced -- I wasn't allowed until age 12, so that's striking me as a good age for DD as well.

We have no hard and fast age rules for any of that.

As for make up, I've focused A LOT on why there isn't even a need for make up. I don't wear it and neither do my girls for the most part (aside from the occasional lip gloss) If/when they do want to wear it, I'll teach them how to use it to accent their faces, not try to make a new one ;)

For clothing, what is acceptable at 10 is what is acceptable at 16. Nothing should be hanging out, and nothing should look painted on. My 14 year old has no desire to dress trashy, and won't even wear a normal bathing suit.

Ear piercings have been when they wanted them. DD14 was 7, and the twins were 4. No big deal here.

Hair...cut and style is up to them. Dad doesn't want them to color their hair and that's not a fight I want to have with him...so no color for the girls.

Dating...we are pretty conservative on this. Our biggest concerns are getting into an unequal relationship faith wise, and getting extremely emotionally attached at a young age. We've been there, and want to help our girls avoid it if at all possible. IF a Christian young man becomes interested in having a relationship with one of our girls, he'll be welcome to spend time with our family. However, one on one dating will be discouraged. We feel like it's more important to build relationships than to date recreationally.

This makes me curious now...I hadn't really thought about it. Do girls who have excellent and healthy relationships with their fathers date at later ages? Is there any correlation at all?

I think this is huge. Certainly, if they don't date later, they date "better." My dd didn't really date until a few months ago. She was happy to have boy friends until then. The boy she's dating now treats her like a queen. Her father has always treated her like a princess (in a good way.) I can't help but think there's some connection. :)

I haven't read all of the replies, but here are some of our rules.

Ears pierced: All of my girls had their ears pierced between the ages of 3-6 and have never asked to have anything else pierced. Probably because they know I would say "no".

Make-up: When they turn 13, I allow them to wear make-up. My 19 yo has sensitive skin and eyes and has never liked to wear make-up. My 14 yo went all out at first with the make-up and I had to encourage her to tone it down. My biggest pet peeve is left over mascara that is smeared under the eyes the next day. She has made adjustments herself and we have no issues now. My 12 yo has no interest yet.

Clothes: No cleavage, no midriff, no undergarments showing, skirts must be knee length, shorts at least past finger tips, no writing on the behind and no rude or suggestive sayings on t-shirts. I also try to discourage all of my kids from advertising pop culture on their clothing. As long as these guidelines are being followed, I try to allow them their personal style even if I hate it and it makes me go :rolleyes:

Dating: I have 2 grown children and we still don't have hard and fast rules about dating. What works for one situation may not work for another. Each child is an individual and will have unique relationships and so we try to make decisions based on the circumstance, not try to fit them all in a box.

HTH,

Joy

Our standards, which may be "tweaked" a little as we go, but only a little :D:

Make-up: Fine, as long as you know when to carry it and when not, and when you do, as long as you know the line of a good taste. You cannot walk around as though it was the carneval time, but I don't intend to sweat the make-up use beyond absolutely needed health concerns. Everything has to be generally socially acceptable (no black nail polish and things of the kind), but within some tacit reasonable limits, make-up is kosher for us.

Piercings and tattoos: Not under my roof. If you absolutely insist, you can get your ears pierced as an older teen, but even that I'd prefer you to become of age first. Anything else is a no answer. If you still make it, you will be made to take it off / cover it during the stay in our house or any public presence with me or other family members until you're legally an adult.

Clothes: No cleavage, no shorts, skirts knee length at least, shoulders covered (preferably elbow-length shirts), no tight fitting clothing, pants only if "loose" in shape, no writings or pictures on clothes, preferably closed shoes, high heels are fine occasionally (for health concerns not too often)

Hair: Nothing generally socially inacceptable (no mohawk and the like), no provocative and strongly noticeable dye

Dating and more-than-friendly relationships with boys: 18+, preferably, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

ETA: Reading this makes me feel so conservative... I don't think we're that conservative as it sounds... But it does sound a bit conservative. Hmmm.

Edited by Ester Maria

First I would say not to pre empt or create a problem where there may not be one. My dd was not interested in dressing to show her body until she was around 13 or 14 and it happened naturally- she stopped wearing shirts that covered herself completely and started wearing nice looking tasteful clothes. She started wearing dresses, which she had never worn in her childhood.

She did have her ears pierced at her 9th birthday.

She had her belly button pierced age 16 because by now, I feel its her body and I don't want to interfere on what I consider small issues like that.

Make up was experimental from age 11 or 12 onwards- just playing and exploring. It grew more serious over her teens and now at 16 she wont leave the house without it :)

Dating- I never interfered either. We don't call it dating. First it was going out with groups of mixed friends, then ocasionally a movie with a single young man (as well as groups of friends). Then she had a boyfriend. She was 15 when she had her first serious boyfriend and it lasted 5 months. We loved him and made him very welcome but young men are fairly immature and also needy...compared with our dd anyway. She felt restricted from being with her other friends, male and female, and too strongly possessed. She left him. Then fell in love with another young man- she was 16, he was 19. She was besottedly in love- he was so lovely- then she just fell out of love. Poor many, I can tell you. She has decided she is commitment challenged and since she is 16 we are happy she is happy to be on her own, which she is.

So my story is....we have let it all evolve naturally and interfered as absolutely little as possible and our dd16 is a delightful, beautiful, loving, mature and very happy, playful 16yo with her head screwed on straight and no desire to sell herself out to any man, but at the same time, with many male friends and female friends. As fas as men in the house- we just have a rule, keep the doors open. Curfew of 10pm most of the time- but she is 16.

We havent felt the need to restrict clothing, deny her makeup or jewellery, access to young men or any of it. I do remember getting her ears pierced was a big deal. Our biggest issue is parties and alcohol- she is a vivacious young woman who loves to go to parties and we are restrctive of that because of the binge drinking issue here in Australia- but that is the main issue we have set limits around and they are certainly loosening up, too, as she is generally sensible.

Ok, my DD is only 2. But I was a teen not so long ago myself. My parents had no hard & fast rules concerning dress/dating/makeup, except for one: Honesty & open communication between me & them.

That said, I have a few more absolute rules in mind for DD in regard to this area, but I do think that mutual respect, honesty, and communication is the most important thing I want to emphasize with my DC in every aspect of life.

For makeup, I think 13-14 is a good starting point for mascara, powder/mineral foundation, & darker lip glosses/lipstick. No liners (lip or eye) or liquid foundations until 16, I think.

WRT dating, I have to say not at all until age 16. After that, it will be on a case-by-case basis & will require the young man (or young lady WRT my DS) to spend time with our family before allowing much one-on-one time. I made a lot of mistakes in high school, and I don't want my DC to repeat them. I also want to emphasize to my DC the importance of "guarding their hearts," which is IME includes "guarding your body" until they're ready to make a serious (potentially lifetime) commitment. Ideally after college, but definitely after high school.

And clothing.... I'm convinced that by the time DD is 14, I'll have to make all of her clothes myself.:lol: I like the guideline of being covered from shoulders to knees, but am not averse to the idea of a slightly shorter skirt with leggings/tights. I'm also not totally opposed to spaghetti straps/halters/strapless... on a case-by-case basis. Strapless prom dress? Probably fine. Tube top to every day social functions? No, no, and no.

I'm fine with hair coloring past age 12...because hair grows. It can always be fixed. And shaving, really as soon as she is aware of/embarrassed by her hair. (And if dance/gymnastics keeps up, I'm open to the waxing discussion at a younger age than I would be other wise. My family tends to be hairy. Not fair.)

Dd is still only a wee thing, so you may not want my opinion :D (almost 9). She had her ears pierced for Christmas (8.5 yrs old) and has been responsible for their care. We would be amenable to a second ear piercing, possibly, in the teen yrs but not other places. We started at the very beginning with the concept of dressing modestly. Even as a toddler we chose fuller covering bathing suits and did not purchase anything that we would not want to see her in as a teen. Bathing suits don't have to be 1 pc, but do have to cover. In fact, I prefer the 2 pc swim shirt and full bottom with a little skirt.

Dd is quite opinionated with her own idea of modesty now. It is amusing because I think she has taken a slightly more conservative streak then we introduced. She gets righteously indignant with some manikins when we are the mall :lol:.

We are setting the stage with the concept of courtship over dating. We pray regularly for whomever God intends their future spouses (of dd and ds) to be. We do NOT allow teen type shows that glorify, dramatize, and romanticize the stereotypical teen phenomenon . There is no tolerance for shows that are all about getting the attention of the opposite sex or who is popular or about the social glories of high school. I am amazed at the number of girls at 8 & 9 yrs that are already obsessed with these shows and what they represent!

SLIGHT RANT: In our AWANA program are 2 girls (9 & 10) that are all about competing for the boys. I wish I was exaggerating but a new boy recently came and these 2 were sizing him up like hungry wolves staring at the last sheep on earth :eek:. I felt the need to run interference for the poor fella.

Anyway, I get the whole "don't borrow trouble" thing. However, our philosophy has always been to get there first. We want to get our ideas, influence, thoughts and teachings into dd (and ds) as the foundation before anything else can be planted from friends, society or wherever else they may try to come from. I don't want to play catch-up. As Christians, dh and I firmly believe that we are competing for the minds and hearts of our dc. So, you see that these are not hard and fast "at this age..." type rules. It is more about winning her heart and leading her to discern God's will for her life even in something as small as how to wear her makeup, how to carry herself and of course how or if she chooses her lifelong partner.

Dd is still only a wee thing, so you may not want my opinion :D (almost 9). She had her ears pierced for Christmas (8.5 yrs old) and has been responsible for their care. We would be amenable to a second ear piercing, possibly, in the teen yrs but not other places. We started at the very beginning with the concept of dressing modestly. Even as a toddler we chose fuller covering bathing suits and did not purchase anything that we would not want to see her in as a teen. Bathing suits don't have to be 1 pc, but do have to cover. In fact, I prefer the 2 pc swim shirt and full bottom with a little skirt.

Dd is quite opinionated with her own idea of modesty now. It is amusing because I think she has taken a slightly more conservative streak then we introduced. She gets righteously indignant with some manikins when we are the mall :lol:.

We are setting the stage with the concept of courtship over dating. We pray regularly for whomever God intends their future spouses (of dd and ds) to be. We do NOT allow teen type shows that glorify, dramatize, and romanticize the stereotypical teen phenomenon . There is no tolerance for shows that are all about getting the attention of the opposite sex or who is popular or about the social glories of high school. I am amazed at the number of girls at 8 & 9 yrs that are already obsessed with these shows and what they represent!

SLIGHT RANT: In our AWANA program are 2 girls (9 & 10) that are all about competing for the boys. I wish I was exaggerating but a new boy recently came and these 2 were sizing him up like hungry wolves staring at the last sheep on earth :eek:. I felt the need to run interference for the poor fella.

Anyway, I get the whole "don't borrow trouble" thing. However, our philosophy has always been to get there first. We want to get our ideas, influence, thoughts and teachings into dd (and ds) as the foundation before anything else can be planted from friends, society or wherever else they may try to come from. I don't want to play catch-up. As Christians, dh and I firmly believe that we are competing for the minds and hearts of our dc. So, you see that these are not hard and fast "at this age..." type rules. It is more about winning her heart and leading her to discern God's will for her life even in something as small as how to wear her makeup, how to carry herself and of course how or if she chooses her lifelong partner.

Wow, I've read all of the responses. That is awesome and how I feel. Y'all articulate better than I do. Anyway, I'm not borrowing trouble. I happened to notice my daughter's friend today. This was the first time I saw V this way. And, she was a tad bit more reticent with me. Hmm.:confused: She was not her joyful self.

I do strongly believe that parents are meant to parent and guide their children for a looooong time. Of course with each passing given chunk of time they may prove worthy of more responsibity and decision making, but a parents job is really never done.

Not to stray off topic- but one thing that drives me crazy is little two-piece bikinis on babies and little girls! Any girl for that matter, of course after they are 18 they can make their own decisions (and I can tell my boys just not to look that way...lol). But a child!

At the pool this weekend a couple moms and thier kids came in. All the little girls had bikinis on (as in they all were under 10). One of them, about 7, I noticed had a temporary lower back tattoo! I didn't know whether to :lol: or :svengo:

This thread is interesting. :D

I kind of have the opposite experience of many here.

I REALLY like make-up, clothes, cute shoes, designer purses, etc. DD has always been there right beside me- until recently. :glare: ( It seems like only yesterday when she BEGGED me to buy her some high heel flip flops- and I did!)

We go to a lot of homeschool functions where the girls dress very conservatively. (Long skirts, no make-up, and long braided hair.) DD asked me to buy her some long jean skirts. She refuses to get her hair cut. Won't put on lip gloss anymore. I guess it depends a lot on who your peer group is. She's growing up and doesn't want to be like her old mom anymore. Oh well. :D

Edited by Swirl

Regarding hair coloring (to no one in particular, just my thoughts): I would be the first to say that hair does grow out, and coloring or perming one's hair really would be small potatoes, no big deal in the end, other hills I'd far rather die on, etc.

Except that while I asked to perm my hair a few times as a preteen/teen, my parents steadfastly refused to allow it (and probably would have done the same wrt coloring it too). I always thought that to be terribly unfair, but now I am really, really grateful to them. I know so many women my age who have really damaged their hair with chemicals. I'm almost 34 and still have really nice hair; not a single grey hair yet (and my mom is almost 56 and has very few grey hairs; she never has permed or colored hers either), and when I wear it down (which is well past my rear end), I get frequent compliments. No expensive shampoos/conditioners needed, just the basic stuff. I don't know if it's just genetics and luck, or if treating it nicely in my younger years has helped, but I am thankful that my parents were strict on that topic, and it's always in the back of my mind when I think about what I'd let my kids do.

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but DH and I have decided that our girls won't wear makeup until around 16-ish. Modesty in our home requires no midriffs, sleeves and covered to the knees. (Yes, we even do the modest swimsuit thing. Katie got an absolutely adorable one a few weeks ago, custom made, and we can't wait to try it out!!) I even will make her wear tights for quite a while... no panty-hose-for-girls. And heels, even the little girls' heels are out of the question. I'm a firm believer in letting little girls look like little girls. I have a family member who posted a photo of their DD on FB... if I didn't know that the child was 7, and small for her age on top of it (you couldn't tell how tiny she was in the photo) you would've thought she was 16, at least. Someone had done her make up to go to some Justin Bieber movie or something. That is NOT what I want for my DD. My oldest still plays with dolls. I'm totally cool with that. ;)

Now, all that said, she does have pierced ears. We got them done when she was a baby, but she was really sensitive to the metals. We let them grow back until about a year ago. We had identical twin girls, and we use their earrings to tell them apart (different colors). When the twins got their ears pierced, DD who was 8 at the time wanted hers done, so we did them for her birthday. If it wasn't for piercing the twins' ears, I probably wouldn't have thought about it until she was at least 13 or so. I didn't get mine done until my 11th birthday. My dad has this weird thing... he thinks it's barbaric. ((shrug)) But, she's not allowed to wear anything that dangles and I have final say over all the earrings. And, her earrings are the only thing she's allowed to wear.

My dd just turned 13. She may wear lip gloss and nail polish. If her skirt is short, she may put leggings under it. If her top is low-cut, she may put a t-shirt or camisole under it. Her booKs and cupcakes (b*tt ch**ks. I don't know why we call it that. LOL) may not hang out of anything. She may wear appropriate perfume/body spray/scented lotions. I determine what's appropriate (which translates into: Is it too mature a scent, and, can I stand smelling this? LOL) She may wear eye makeup and blush at 16. She has no desire to pierce anything, so that's a non-issue.

This makes me curious now...I hadn't really thought about it. Do girls who have excellent and healthy relationships with their fathers date at later ages? Is there any correlation at all?

I don't know. Five girls: oldest met future SIL very young (maybe 11?) but didn't start dating until about 16?, second didn't start until 18, the third met future SIL at 9 but didn't start dating until 14, 14 year old has no interest in boys yet and youngest is still a little girl. So different girl, same dad, somewhat different time lines.

This could very well be-the girls I know that are like this have excellent relationships with their dads. And yes, extremely high standards. Dd 16's first boyfriend is *exactly* like her father.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. Hubby has great relationship with his girls. The two that are/will be SILs are very much like my hubby and he has a good relationship with both of them. It is kind of a benchmark if my hubby and the intended both think highly of each other, then I know it was a good choice.

I don't know. Five girls: oldest met future SIL very young (maybe 11?) but didn't start dating until about 16?, second didn't start until 18, the third met future SIL at 9 but didn't start dating until 14, 14 year old has no interest in boys yet and youngest is still a little girl. So different girl, same dad, somewhat different time lines.

I even recanted. :D

Not Christian but I do have five dds so maybe my experience will be helpful. First off, I am not a terribly feminine model. I don't wear dresses, shave, wear make-up, color my hair, wear jewelry, tan, do manis or pedis or just about anything else the average woman does. My oldest two girl are pretty much like me and I think the third is headed in that direction as well. That being said they all went through phases when they were younger where they were more interested in girly things. This usually came right after the horse phase.

They were allowed to get earrings whenever they wanted: oldest doesn't have them, the middle two have been pierced but never wear earrings, the 14 yr. old doesn't have them and the youngest is pierced and wears earrings.

The oldest three will sometimes do a mani and/or pedi but rarely. They 14 yr. old very rarely paints her nails. The youngest almost every day.

They all started shaving at about 11 except for the third who waited a little while longer. The oldest doesn't shave much at all anymore. The middle two still do sometimes. The youngest two regularly because they play sports.

They are allowed to start wearing make-up in middle school starting with a little lip gloss, some mascara and maybe some light blush. My oldest doesn't usually wear make-up, the middle two do occassionally, the 14 yr. old wears mascara, eye-liner and maybe lip gloss, the youngest mascara and lip gloss.

They all dress pretty conservatively. The youngest two are always within school dress code which is pretty strict here. The oldest three will wear tank tops but do so in such a way that it drives me crazy. They all wear bras under their tank tops and let the straps show. I call it the red-neck, white trash look. Please don't be offended if this describes you. Apparently lots of people do it and it is considered acceptable (I do see it a lot) as my oldest girls have informed me (I personally think that they just don't care) but it drives me crazy. I grew up thinking that if you were going to wear a bra - it shouldn't be showing.

It is an extremely rare occassion that any of them wear a dress or skirt (as a matter of fact, I doubt any of us even own one) but we do wear shorts. Not daisy dukes but not the ones that go to your knees either, just what I consider regular shorts. One of my dd plays volleyball and I am uncomfortable with the shorts for that sport. They are short and very closely fitted. It is weird. She can wear those for school games but it not allowed to wear them to school or anywhere else in the school except for coming to and leaving the game. :confused:

They are allowed to do anything they want with their hair but they all have pretty natural colored and cut hair.

I can't really think of much else. I haven't really had to deal with dating so much. The two that have SOs kind of went directly to being engaged without so much dating until after the fact. I didn't plan it that way, it just sort of worked out that way. The second oldest didn't start dating until she left home and then ended up with the first person she dated. The 14 yr. old isn't even interested in boys yet and the youngest is still a little girl.

None of my girls have even broached doing anything that I have been uncomfortable with so I guess I have been lucky. It seems to me that you said it took you a bit to notice that she looked older which sounds to me like she had to have been pretty conservative. I would be comfortable with a skirt a little above the knees with dark hose underneath. I would be ok with a 1' or 1 1/2' heel maybe and some very light make-up at that age. I will admit it is harder when your dd is the youngest in the group. My 14 yr. old is the oldest girl in her group while my youngest is the youngest. The youngest does want to do what the older one does without realizing that her sister is 3 years older than her.

PS - There are Christmas pictures of the family in my albums. They didn't really dress up for the pictures (maybe a little make-up). This is pretty much how we dress.

Edited by KidsHappen

DD is 12. We are a fairly 'rule free' family, so I can't say what we do for dd12 is what we will do for dd4.

She got her ears pierced when she asked to and could take care of them herself but I am strict about earrings. They must be real gold/silver, and cannot be longer that 1/2 inch (she has skin sensitivities). The nice thing about them needing to be 'real' is that I am the one who buys them. LOL

We allow tank tops, shorts, skirts above the knee Except at church. I don't buy low cut jeans or short-shorts. Dd dresses very casual, so I don't really have a problem with her choosing inappropriate closes. I request that church attire be: pants or skirt lower than the knee, shirt sleeves must round the corner of the shoulder, no large words/advertising. Our church is very casual and you often find the leaders in jeans.

I don't like painted fingernails, but I do allow it about once a year or so.

DD12 doesn't wear makeup and I don't think she will ask anytime soon. She tells me that she prefers that women not wear makeup, or just very light. I only wear light makeup on work days. I would prefer she wait until high school, but if she asked, I would consider it, it would depend on her reasons.

Well, I have 2 girls (currently 17.5 and 19.5), and they are both so different. Both had their ears pierced as babies. Oldest has attached earlobes that made it difficult for her to wear studs without them getting infected. She let her holes close up years ago. She started wearing a tiny bit of makeup around age 18. Her choice. She has always been modest in the extreme, and would never wear short skirts or revealing clothing of any kind. I had nothing to do with most of this...except for giving advice along the way. She cares very little about fashion. Now my middle dd, otoh, probably started wearing a little makeup in jr high. She has acne problems, so I've never made makeup a big deal other than what kind, and making sure she gets her face clean. She has never gone way overboard with it. She loves pretty clothes, and pretty earrings. She pushes the modesty boundary occasionally, but understands it and is fairly accepting in general. We've always been the "no dating till you're 30!!!!" sort of people, LOL, but she found herself a boyfriend this year (Senior year). They don't date alone at all, but see each other at co-op classes, volleyball, theater, go to church together sometimes, hang out with friends. He's very nice, is very responsible, mature, respectful.......absolutely nothing I can complain about. He's in the Sheriff's explorer program. He's the one encouraging my dd to be modest LOL! If they can survive dating for another 5 or 6 years, he'd make a great sil :o). All this to say, that we have our principles, and hills to die on, but every kid is different.

We are Christian, but not particularly conservative. My girls had their ears pierced and 5 and 6.

My eldest was allowed to wear natural-looking makeup starting at 13. she has moved on now to some glittery eyeliners and I am fine with that. If she turns up with it looking too dark she has to tone it down. She has colored her hair with temporary colors. She currently has 3 small blue streaks in her hair. She wears tank tops under anything low. She is allowed to wear sleeveless tops. She wears regular shorts, a regular swimsuit and leggings under shorter skirts. No words allowed on the rear. She paints her nails.

I am in between many ladies here. I don't tan, do manis/pedis, but I do wear makeup. I don't do much to my hair, it does what it wants. ;)

Not a Christian, but here are my 2 cents:

DD (10) got her ears pierced at 9. She campaigned for a year. She had to prove to me that she would be capable of taking care of her ears. Anything else she wants pierced-when she is 18 and can pay for it herself.

Make-up. She is following the same guidelines I had to follow. At 11 she can wear lip gloss/light lipstick out of the house. Age 12-she can add blush. Age 13-eye make-up. All make-up subject to approval by me.

Clothes-always an issue because she finds clothes hot and cumbersome. She would still run around naked if she could. We have numerous discussions on modesty and what message our clothes send. She does have much better fashion sense then me.

Hair-No Permanent dye until age 16. She can color it whatever color she wants. It is just hair and it will grow out. Same for hair style. Whatever cut she gets-it will grow out and back.