Menu

Song School Latin- Do you like it?

okiemomof2

I am considering this next year for my 3rd and 1st grader. Those of you who have used it, what do you think? Mama knows NO latin, so she will be learning along with the kiddos if that makes a difference... The goal is to gently introduce them to it for a year and then start something a little more rigorous the next year... the younger one catches onto to things fairly quickly, so the point is to have it where I teach them together (one less subject to have to teach seperately ;)) . Thanks !

:lurk5: Watching this one. We're planning the same thing. Our plan is to get SSL, and figure that it's for younger grades, so ours might do it more quickly. After that, Prima Latina, then heading into Latina Christiana 1 and 2.

Well... that's the plan.... so I'm listening and hoping others chime in! :bigear:

We love it! Like you, I have NO Latin background.

I'm using it with my 3rd grader and Kindergartner, although my K'er just listens to the CD and doesn't do the workbook. SO far we've all picked up on a lot of basic Latin vocabulary. My 3rd grader has already noticed how Latin relates to many familiar English words and names that he hears, and he enjoys pointing them out to me. My boys also love calling each other fraters and getting annoyed with mama if I refer to anyone as a soror. :D

The songs are very catchy and easy to learn and even my 3 year old enjoys singing along and busting out with a Latin phrase or two here and there.

We fully intend to buy and use Song School Greek in the future, and would love for Song School Spanish to be produced!!

we love it here. My 2nd grader does the workbook, takes only a few mins a couple times a week. We listen to the cd together (with my Ker) and I make up flashcards for that weeks' words and they practice them each day. When we get to review weeks, they are allowed to play the game online to practice.

Even my 3yr old goes around the house singing "Salve, salve...magister...." :lol:

It's a great fun, gentle start to Latin.

My DD enjoyed it at age 5, both CD and workbook. She then went into SSG and LfC, and has enjoyed both of them as well. I wish they'd get the 2nd level out while she's still young enough to enjoy it!

Note to whoever mentioned SSG-my DD has had fun with it, but it's harder to learn the words from SSG than SSL-there are more songs which are sung entirely in English and then entirely in Greek. While I felt reasonably confident in my DD going on in Latin after SSL, even she said she wanted something easier than GfC after SSG (she's almost finished).

My DD enjoyed it at age 5, both CD and workbook. She then went into SSG and LfC, and has enjoyed both of them as well. I wish they'd get the 2nd level out while she's still young enough to enjoy it!

Note to whoever mentioned SSG-my DD has had fun with it, but it's harder to learn the words from SSG than SSL-there are more songs which are sung entirely in English and then entirely in Greek. While I felt reasonably confident in my DD going on in Latin after SSL, even she said she wanted something easier than GfC after SSG (she's almost finished).

Thanks for the info. That is good to know. I'm planning on continuing with Latin using Prima Latina. I'll probably just get SSG as an extra for him to work through as interested. One thing I've liked about SSL is that mt dc find it so interesting that they could easily repeat it over and over. SSG might be one of those repeating programs for us until we decide to pursue Greek more earnestly in the future. I think ds will enjoy the challenge but I'm not willing to split my focus between the two languages just yet.

Would an older child benefit from SSL if it's their first exposure to Latin?

Yes! It paved the road for pronunciation and made it fun. I would highly recommend it for your 8 yr old.

My ds8 and ds6 did it together and finished it in less than four months. They both love it. Now we are doing GSWL together. They are doing very well with it. After that, we will go LfC A. I already have the material.

Yes! It paved the road for pronunciation and made it fun. I would highly recommend it for your 8 yr old.

My ds8 and ds6 did it together and finished it in less than four months. They both love it. Now we are doing GSWL together. They are doing very well with it. After that, we will go LfC A. I already have the material.

Thank you! :)

Another vote for SSL here. We really like it and the kids enjoy the songs. Don't forget to check out the website because they have coloring sheets to download as well as a few other neat things.

Maybe I am just tired but I looked on the website and I didn't see the worksheets. If you have it bookmarked can you provide a link please?

We are enjoying SSL here, with a 5yo and a 7yo. I wasn't sure how it would go, but I figured it was an inexpensive thing to try for our first jump into Latin. It has been worth the $15, and then some. :)

Next year I plan to do a more formal study of Latin with DS, and I figure my DD can sing a bit more. ;) She loves it, and I amazed what she has picked up from just listening in.

My daughter actually does NOT like the cd at all. She does the worksheets from the book (I make copies instead of having her write in the book) and has played the game online but she felt the cd was too young for her. I took latin and remember pronunciations, so we work on that a little, but we don't focus too much on it. I'm going to hang on to it for next year, though (my son will start K).

BTW, what is GSWL? I couldn't find it on the abbreviations list.

Guest problemsolving

What are your thoughts about going on to LFC A after SSL?

Is the jump to LFC A too difficult? Why not continue with CAP products?

Robby Baddorf

Art Director

Classical Academic Press

Edited by problemsolving
more info

It depends on your child. LfC was written for 3rd grade and up, and it was written for classically educated 3rd graders to boot. It's not a light curriculum. The grammar goes beyond what most non-classical 3rd grade LA curricula want a child to know. There is also a lot of vocabulary (once you count different forms, most lessons have well over 20 words), and it moves quickly. It's fun, but I could easily see it being frustrating for a child who isn't a strong reader and who doesn't memorize very, very easily.

What are your thoughts about going on to LFC A after SSL?

Is the jump to LFC A too difficult? Why not continue with CAP products?

Robby Baddorf

Art Director

Classical Academic Press

I think the jump difficulty depends on the age of the child completing SSL and the Latin comfort level of the parent. I have a precocious 5yo more than halfway through SSL right now. While she could do the memory portion of LFC A just fine, she already knows a good chunk of it due to having older siblings who've done it, the curriculum is more mature than she is. I would love to have an SSL 2 for this child. We're trying to decide between using another newbie Latin curriculum from a different publisher for another year, or letting her try LFC at a slow pace. If I hadn't already taught LFC A to my older children, I probably wouldn't even be considering it.

My second grader, however, will start LFC A in just a couple weeks when he finishes up SSL. He'll be a bit younger than the recommendation, but the grammar is taught gently enough I think he'll do fine. We can slow it down if he needs it.

Waiting until second grade for SSL would have solved the problem, but both were practically twitching in anticipation to get going.

SilverMoon (Who will very soon have children in SSL, LFC, and LA all at the same time.)

Guest problemsolving

Many thanks, dmmetler & SilverMoon.

That's all quite helpful.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say it, but SSL2 is under way.

Robby Baddorf

Art Director

Classical Academic Press

Father of three who are just coming of homeschool age.

The songs are a lot of fun and easy to learn. The workbook is not difficult and fun too. I had 2 dc go through this pretty independently 1st and 3rd grade maybe? Then I think they did nothing for Latin last year (except listen along to some Lingua Angelica) and this year they are both in LCI. I am not a big fan of Prima Latina at all. So my favorite Latin progression is Song School in 2nd grade and LCI in 3rd grade. Song School is on my To Buy list as I have an up and coming 2nd grader.

btw, don't waste your money on the teacher's manual.

I use SongSchool Latin with my kids. We love it. I do not have a background in Latin, but it is very easy to use. The CD helps with pronunciation & the songs are catchy. We play 'quiz show' with the new phrases & vocabulary we learn each week, with a few words from past lessons for review.

We have some friends that recently purchased it, too. Now, when we get together, the kids sing the songs & quiz each other. They like to try & impress others with their Latin vocab while we are out. Ha!;)

We totally love it. The other day I was at my computer and my daughter said "Ignosce mihi". It was sooo cute! (It means excuse me.)

Like people said, make sure to download the free coloring pages. :)

We'll be starting Lively Latin next year.

Hi-

I was hoping someone would be willing to post the website? I did a quick google search and came up with just reviews of the books. Thanks! My next question is, how exactly do you use this? I have it and to be honest havent read through the teachers guide much past the first page :001_huh: but I am not sure how to proceed with it. Would you all mind posting what exactly you do with it? Thanks again!

We totally love it here.

Warning: The songs will get stuck in your head whether you want them to or not. You will start to sing/hum them at random times.

It's a lot of fun and works. Right now Latin is my dd6's favourite time of the day.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Literally. . . I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and those songs are running through my head.

I'm very pleased w/ SSL. I wish everything was this easy and basic and fun. I found myself wondering why all lessons for everything can't be so silly and fun.

:lol:

Alley

I'm very pleased w/ SSL. I wish everything was this easy and basic and fun. I found myself wondering why all lessons for everything can't be so silly and fun.

:lol:

Alley

My Dd agrees with you. She enjoys SSL so much that she begs me to find similar resources for other subjects. She assures me she learns best through song or video. I should probably create a spin-off thread and ask for other resources!