Menu

What do you tentative science plans look like for middle/high school?

I know I've posted quite a few science questions, but I'm still pretty much floundering when it comes to science. We have not been consistent with science instruction until this year. We have done a lot of field trips and groups in the past for science, and I've been fine with that, really. This year we have used God's Design for Science. We finished The Human Body and are now doing The Planet Earth. I like those just okay. I like The Planet Earth much much less than The Human Body. We have done a lot of life science, a little earth science, but no chemistry or physical science. I had thought about doing a few of the God's Design for Chemistry and Physics for next year, and we might still do those, especially if I don't find anything else that I like. One thing I do like about God's Design is that it is designed for multiple ages, so it's easy to fold in the littles.

All that to say that I would love to hear your tentative science plans for middle and high school. I'm trying to formulate something that will give me a general overview. My oldest will be in 6th grade next year, and she is the one I am planning for. I had planned to use Apologia General Science starting in 7th grade, but again, that could change.

Thanks!!

Edited by Nakia

Ellen McHenry's The Elements is a fun but "meaty" chemistry curriculum. It has a neutral POV but the author is Christian. John Hudson Tiner's Exploring the World of Chemistry makes a good complement to The Elements and is explicitly Christian.

I haven't totally decided what I'm going to use for the 2nd time through the cycle. Right now, I'm leaning towards:

4th, Biology- Singapore My Pals are Here 5/6 plus Prentice Hall Science Explorer Life Science (or possibly CPO Life Science).

5th, Astronomy & Earth Science- PH Science Explorer Earth Science or CPO Earth Science, possibly the Teaching Company Understanding the Universe course in lieu of the astronomy portions of SE/CPO.

6th, Physical Science- Conceptual Physical Science by Hewitt & Suchocki

The plan right now is to enroll my DD in the Stanford EPGY Online High School starting in 7th and they start their science sequence with physics. I would like her to have been through physics twice so that it'll be an easier adjustment and she can focus her efforts on her other coursework.

DD is doing Apologia General Science this year as a 7th/8th grader. We plan to continue with Apologia as long as it works for her as well as it is. DS will be 7th next year, and it looks like he will try Apologia Physical Science along with dd. If it proves to be too much for him, I'm also interested in The Elements for him. It's interesting to know Exploring the World of Chemistry works well with The Elements. I'll keep that in mind, too.

Our current science plan is this:

7th grade (this year) was supposed to be Earth Science. Instead it's turned into a hodgepodge of stuff because we've had a chaotic year. We're doing some reading, some experiments, some of nothing. :glare:

8th - Earth Science using an introductory text called The Good Earth

9th-11th - a year integrated science plan I'm putting together. We'll probably spend 10-12 weeks each year on bio/chem/physics so at the end he'll have 3 lab science credits

12th- unless ds graduates early (which is an option) I'll let him chose a science. Probably advanced chem or physics or environmental. We don't have a CC close by so it will most likely be taken at home.

I am going to continue the God's Design for my middle ds. We have done Earth, Life this year and I just got the Physics one. He will be in 7th and 8th, but is not my science guy. My oldest did BJU Life in 7th and now BJU Phy in 8th. I am going to have middle one do EVERYTHING in the book. Write out vocab words or outline each section. Write out the brown questions and do the challenge section - maybe outlining that part - writing a summary - whatever. I am hoping that is sufficient for a little more rigorous science in high school.

I don't think my two youngest could do BJU and don't think that they would like the wordy Apologia also. But, I have those, so may look them over as well...or add in a chapter or two.

What we've done and plan to do:

6th - BJU General

7th - BJU Life Science

8th - Prentice Hall Physical Science Concepts in Action (this is where we are)

9th - Biology Miller & Levine (this is where my definite plans end :)

10th - Chemistry PH looks approachable, but I haven't made this decision yet

11th - Physics - I have no idea!

12th - I don't know what ds will do, maybe Forensic Science; dd will do Anatomy and Physiology.

I love it but ds finds it tough. To me that's a plus because one of my goals with it was to help transition him from a "exposure, get what you can" approach to science to a "mastery" type of approach. I see it as a way for him to learn to take more responsibility for learning as opposed to just doing exactly whatever assignment I give him (worksheets, narration, projects.) I think it also offers good preparation for a rigorous high school program but it hasn't been easy:tongue_smilie:.

Current (4th): BFSU beefed up with the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

5th: Finish BFSU

6th-7th: Elementary Science (the second Nebel book)

7th-8th: When we finish with Elementary Science we'll move into the third Nebel book

We'll also be going through The Story of Science books concurrently with history in grades 6-8. I may or may not add in the Quest guides.

9th-12th: I would like ds to cover biology/life science, chemistry, earth/space science (or other, optional science of choice), and physics. I haven't decided quite on the order yet, or what to use! When he hits about 9th or 10th grade, he could take classes with labs and everything at the local community college, so that may affect what he does.

Thanks everyone!! This is helping.

What we've done and plan to do:

6th - BJU General

7th - BJU Life Science

8th - Prentice Hall Physical Science Concepts in Action (this is where we are)

9th - Biology Miller & Levine (this is where my definite plans end :)

10th - Chemistry PH looks approachable, but I haven't made this decision yet

11th - Physics - I have no idea!

12th - I don't know what ds will do, maybe Forensic Science; dd will do Anatomy and Physiology.

I looked on the BJU website, and I see a 6th grade science, but it doesn't specifically say general science. Are you referring to the regular 6th grade science curriculum?

I need all secular.

My ideal plan:

6th-8th grade - individual Prentice Hall Science Explorer books 4-5 each year

9th grade - Introductory Chemistry (Tro) for science-y kid, Prentice Hall Chemistry for nonscience-y kid, using Chemistry Labpaq for either program

10th grade - Oak Meadow Biology with Biology Labpaq

11th grade - Giancoli's Physics with Physics Labpaq

12th grade - science at cc, which one depends on the kid

What actually happened

oldest

in ps for 6th and 7th

8th - PH Science Explorer

9th - Miller&Levine Biology (way too difficult, used for honors classes around here)

10th - Spectrum Chemistry (way too light)

11th - Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (didn't like the presentation and too hard to follow without math)

12th - Physics and Chemistry at the cc to finish out her science requirements so she won't have to take any science when she goes to college next year. She's taking the version that's not for science majors.

middle

5th-8th Prentice Hall Science Explorer books

9th Oak Meadow Biology with OM's lab kit (lab kit was lame and she should have had chemistry before tackling biology)

10th Giancoli's Physics with Physics Labpaq (excellent)

planned for 11th - I was going to use Oak Meadow's Chemistry program, but they use Prentice Hall Chemistry and it's too light for my dd. I'm going to use Introductory Chemistry (Tro) instead. It's used for Honors level chemistry classes

planned for 12th - She'll probably take both biology and chemistry for science majors at the cc.

youngest

Used PH Science Explorer for 6th grade. We started out this year with Art of Construction (she loves architecture), but it really didn't work for me. We have switched back to PH Science Explorer. She's going to ps next year and they use PH Science Explorer as well.

We're currently doing Oak Meadow's Environmental Science for 5th grade.

We'll be using Oak Meadow's Basic Life Science for 6th grade.

We'll be using Oak Meadow's Earth Science for 7th grade.

We'll be using Oak Meadow's Physical Science for 8th grade.

And for high school we'll still be using Oak Meadow- not sure yet of sequence but it will include their Biology, Environmental Science, Chemistry and Physics.

My oldest will be in 8th next year. She will be taking a traditional route for high school at a tutorial (Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry and Physics using Apologia) so I wanted to give her another year of pursuing her own interest. This year she dabbled in the the genetic and bloodline aspect of breeding horses so I'm going to help her set something up that is a little more structured (we tried completely child led and I think she felt too overwhelmed).

I've been looking at using the History of the Horse guide from Beautiful Feet (she's read many of these before but it has been about 4 years) and then I have a huge list of genetic\bloodline\conformation books that I will choose from. She volunteers at a training barn too so she will be able to study lots of different breeds of horses, talk to the trainers, the vet and learn from the owner. For the second semester she will be doing an Ecology study but I haven't really started pulling together anything for that yet.

I haven't decided for sure about my other dd, who will be doing a second year of 6th. She will be doing a version of the project my oldest will be doing, based on her own abilities, and for the second half of the year I'm working on a "science of food" study using the Alton Brown episodes as a jumping off point. I have several really good cookbooks that delve into the scientific aspect of it also, so will be incorporating those. This is a work in progress right now though. She will take a traditional route in high school the same as her sister so the rest of her time in middle will be these types of studies geared toward her interests.

I'm doing chemistry for seventh and physics for eighth.

I haven't started putting together my resources for next year yet, but I already own a bunch of stuff so it's just a matter of putting it into some sort of order.

This year, I started out the year with some readings from a DK book on chemistry topics, some readings from a physical science Visual Factfinder, and info from other books as well. After we got a little foundational work done, along with some experiments, I began adding in more books for him to read on his own. For those books that included experiments, I let him select a lot of the ones he wanted to do and he sometimes completed those on his own, as well. I found a chemistry workbook that supported the topics we were studying and had him doing a page or two from it each day to reinforce learning. He completed it around the end of the first semester and I have another such workbook he's using now for the same purpose.

I have been using the first couple of books of Adventures with Atoms and Molecules for some experiments this year, too. We have been working through a program called Friendly Chemistry (which includes a lot of notation work), and have also started through McHenry's The Elements. Both of these programs include games and activities to help cement learning and we're doing most of those things. We've also played the game Elemento some this year.

Here's a list I have detailed at my blog of what we've done thus far this year. It's updated through the end of week 18 of our school year:

Week 1

Individual reading: read from Eyewitness Matter, Chris Cooper, spreads from "What is Matter" through " Mixtures and Compounds".

I read from Visual Factfinder: Science and Technology, from "Birth of Science" through "Solids, Liquids, and Gases". Also, from Reader's Digest How Science Works, from "Matter" through "Solids, Liquids, and Gases".

Experiments/activities from How Science Works: Tested for Brittleness and Hardness.

Used http://www.chem4kids.com/ info. on states of matter, plasma and Bose-Einstein Condensates (supersolids and superfluids).

Read online article concerning BEC's.

Used Brain Pop info on states of matter and experiment to see gas move (during a free trial period).

Memory Work: Five States of Matter.

Classified a solid (a pillow) by its physical properties.

Talked about melting/boiling points.

Tested for volume of a solid and talked about the properties of water as a solid. Tested viscosity of liquids and rated them. Tested for volume of a gas. (All from How Science Works pages we read this week.) Also measured density; melting point; boiling points; and looked for "holes" in water.

Created a Chemistry Timeline to add to during the year.

Read about the elements from introductory section of Fizz, Bubble, Flash! (page 4-7)

Visited the Thomas Edison House in Louisville. Talked about his inventions and his use of chemistry. Viewed the first motion picture, created by Edison. Looked at the various types of light bulbs he developed, and his many other inventions.

Visited Glassworks in Louisville where son was able to blow his own orb. Saw film on how glass is made and used and visited all three different types of glass studios to see work being performed in each.

Week 2

Began working a few pages per day of The Nature of Matter, a reading comp/science workbook covering various chemistry topics.

Read from How Science Works regarding "Atoms" and "Elements and Compounds".

Read from Fizz, Bubble, Flash! regarding the Periodic Table. (pages 8-11)

Played Elemento.

Also began working slowly, intermittently, through another chemistry workbook entitled The Atom.

Week 3

Continuing with Matter workbook daily.

Read from HSW about Chemical Reactions.

Individual reading: read about Thomas Edison from Great Lives and wrote a short report about him.

Also read Chemistry: The Birth of a Science, Tom McGowen.

Burned Elements and Compounds. (HSW)

Separated solid mixtures: iron filings and sand; iron filings and flowers of sulfur; iron filings with sulfur and hydrochloric acid. (These last two are from the 1960 Golden Chemistry book which was banned for a while, LOL, precisely because it includes usage of more dangerous chemicals. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do many of their experiments this year....)

Separated pigments, using chromatography: permanent markers vs. water color markers. (We got terrific results with the water color markers - Crayola!)

Looked at miscible vs. immiscible liquids with oil, water, and food coloring.

Tried distillation. (All these other activities are from the How Science Works book.)

Week 4

Continued Matter workbook.

Read about Acids and Bases, Salts and Soaps from How Science Works.

Read about Alkali Metals from Fizz, Bubble, Flash! (pages 12-21)

Used cabbage juice indicator to test acids and bases.

Individual reading: Looking at Glass through the Ages, Bruce Koscielniak.

Talked about the alkali power of oven cleaner, brass polish and silver polish. Talked about what tarnish is and applied silver cleaner to tarnished silver.

Tested for water hardness. Used washing soda to make water softer. (All activities, again, from How Science Works.)

Week 5

Read about Organic Chemistry and Biological Soaps from How Science Works.

Individual reading: Metal, Claire Llewellyn

Made plastic from milk.

Tested different types of soap on boiled eggs (protein stains). All activities from How Science Works.

Week 6

Set up experiments from Matter workbook to look at conservation of mass. Continued in workbook.

Read intro to Adventures with Atoms and Molecules I and wrote definitions of terms used.

Attended 2 hour chemistry lab at Louisville Science Center where students made Colonial ink, talked about the elements at some length; discussed chemical reactions and burned various compounds to see the element colors; had a great demo on liquid nitrogen; and set off a liquid nitro bomb at the end of class.

Week 7

(I intended to start him in the Tiner book Exploring the World of Chemistry this week, LOL, but I kept forgetting to order it and now I'm still waiting for it to come in!)

Week 8

Read online info about water treatment chemistry and sewage treatment chemistry in preparation for trips to both locations this week.

Visited Kentucky American Water Company and toured the plant.

Individual reading: A Drop of Water, Walter Wick.

Visited Fayette County Sewage Treatment Plant at Town Branch and toured the plant and lab.

Read over information provided by both companies and discussed.

Began experiments from Adventures with Atoms and Molecules.

Week 9

Checked on States of Matter experiments.

Continued Adv. w/ Atoms and Molecules experiments.

Continued in Matter workbook.

Individual reading: Science Files Materials: Metals, Steve Parker.

Visited a local orchard and the owner discussed the safety of chemicals in use in organic vs. traditional farming of apples.

Week 10

Continued in Matter workbook.

Continued AWAM experiments.

Watched You Tube videos of Hydrogen and all the Alkali Metals, with demos of their properties, from Nottingham University.

Individual reading: What's Smaller than a Pygmy Shrew? Robert Wells.

Read through online info. regarding winemaking (vinification), fermentation, and distillation.

Looked at yeast in sugar water and discussed the action of yeast. (Plan on making root beer!)

Visited a local vineyard for a tour of the entire facility and discussion of the chemistry and chemicals involved in winemaking.

Week 11

Continuing with Matter book.

Continuing with AWAM experiments.

Used some of the experiments from Complete Science to complete work regarding solutes and solutions.

Did some of the experiments from Soda Pop Science, Thomas Rybolt.

Individual Reading:

Usborne's Science in the Kitchen (and chose some experiments to do)

Magic School Bus at the Waterworks

And the rest:

Week 12

Continuing Matter workbook.

Individual reading:

The Elements: Silver, Susan Watt

The Story of Oxygen, Karen Fitzgerald

Did experiments from Science in the Kitchen book selected last week.

Continued experiments from Soda Pop Science.

Week 13

Individual reading:

Simple Science Experiments with Water, Eiji Orii and Masako Orii

How to Think Like a Scientist, Answering Questions by the Scientific Method, Stephen Kramer

Completed two chapters from The World of Chemistry, John Tiner (with chapter quizzes).

Completed some worksheets from Complete Science.

Week 14

Completed a chapter from Tiner book.

Did experiment on mixtures from Complete Science.

Did experiments ds chose last week from Simple Science Experiments with Water.

Read aloud Routes of Science: Atoms and Molecules, Chris Woodford and Martin Clowes. Added many figures to science timeline. Added to memory work.

Read aloud Chemicals in Action: States of Matter, Chris Oxlade. Added to timeline and memory work. Did one experiment from the book that we haven't done before.

Attended exhibit and program regarding the Louisville Waterworks at the Frazier Arms Museum.

Week 15

Continuing work in Matter workbook.

Read aloud The Periodic Table, Sharon Cooper; Chemical Reactions, Louise and Richard Spilsbury; and Acids and Bases, Chris Oxlade.

Did experiment on chemical reactions between acids and bases from Science in the Kitchen. It's great fun to mix citric acid, baking soda, and powdered sugar to make a fizzy, foamy mixture! (We like to eat it, too, but very sparingly!)

Completed a block of 5 experiments from AWAM.

Completed experiments from Soda Pop Science book.

Did two experiments from Chemical Reactions and one from Acids and Bases.

Week 16

Continuing with Matter workbook (almost finished!)

Completed a block of about 10 experiments from AWAM.

Completed chapters 1-5 in Friendly Chemistry so that we'll be set to begin working with chemical formulas next semester.

Week 17

Completed Matter workbook.

Picked back up daily work with The Atom workbook.

Week 18

Continued work in The Atom.

Completed Tiner chapter regarding electricity (reading about Benj. Franklin in history).

Son began reading Benjamin Franklin and Electricity, Steve Parker.

Son read first chapter in Changes in Matter (Atwater/Macmillan), a middle school unit on chemistry, and completed the activity log work for it on his own.

Read aloud chapters 6 and half of chapter 7 in Friendly Chemistry, played various games associated with those chapters and completed work regarding orbital notation.

Recap of Memory Work thus far this year:

5 States of Matter:

Bose-Einstein Condensates (BEC's)

Solids

Liquids

Gases

Plasmas

Energy goes up with each level from BEC's through plasmas. The particles (atoms) at each level are more excited, so more movement is seen.

Parts of an Atom:

Nucleus = Protons (+) plus Neutrons (neutral) - both are made of Quarks.

Electrons (-) form the shell(s) of the atom and are composed of Leptons.

Gauge Bosons hold all these particles together.

Number of Protons = Atomic Number.

When Protons = Electrons, the Atom is neutral.

Currently there are 118 known, named elements, with 92 of those naturally occurring. (This number keeps changing!)

Six Types of Quarks:

Bottom

Up

Down

Strange

Charm

Four Main Ways of Separating Mixtures:

Distillation

Filtration

Evaporation

Chromatography

Physical Change - a reversible change in state.

Chemical Change - a non-reversible change (usually) that results in new materials being formed.

Many changes in state are both chemical and physical.

I have done it (and probably will continue to do it ) in multiple ways. All of my older kids did

9th: bio

10th:chem

11th:anatomy and physiology

12th: (varied.....physics or CC chem)

My current 9th grader is on a completely different track. He is advanced, self-driven, and wants to attend a top tier school.

7th grade: all three Plato science middle school programs + reading lots of other books including PH Explorer series

8th grade: high school physics

9th grade: chemistry, college level intro course to astronomy (which is very heavy in physics)

planned for the rest of high school

10th grade: AP chem

11th: AP physics

12th: bio (he wants to major in astrophysics. We are putting off bio b/c he really doesn't want to take it.)

He will also be taking computer science courses and will hopefully be accepted into an academic club that he has applied to.

My younger crowd will continue reading science topics until 9th when they will switch to a chem textbook. (all of my kids from now on will take chem prior to bio). Unless, of course, they want to do something like ds and then, of course they can.

Mcconnellboys, I love that 1960s Chemistry book. It was used by that teen that tried to build a nuclear reactor in his backyard :-)

Nakia, read Science Matters a cheap paperback about science literacy. Also read what Dr Robinson who wrote the Robinson Curriculum says about delaying formal science instruction in the home, to concentrate on maths and writing.

In my self-studies I'm just reading the Bedell lessons for k-6, and occasionally doing the research questions written for older students, as I read through the KJV Bible. I've watched my sons and friends work their way through junior and 4 year colleges and have been able to observe how unnecessary previous science textbook study is :-0 I have better things to spent my study time on :-0

When DS was in 1st or 2nd and started asking lots of bio questions, I realized I couldn't answer them unless we did chemistry first. Of course he fell in love w/ chemistry. Now we're back to bio and can discuss all those questions we needed chemistry for!

While I have tried this year (5th and 2nd) to stick to one science, it doesn't seem to happen. :lol: After doing some Life Sci w/ CPO Life science and doing a really cool experiment with changes in pH of water due to photosynthesis of Elodea plant, we took an hiatus and have been doing RS4K prelevel 1 chem on pH for my 2nd grader and RS4K level 1 chem for my 5th grader. We've done this before but my 2nd grader is REALLY enjoying doing all of the experiment himself and writing his own results rather than shadowing his big brother. This is review for my 5th grader but next week we'll be doing some acid-base titrations, studying structure of indicator, looking/balancing equations for respiration and photosynthesis among others. I"m also in the process of setting up a chem lab with Illus Guide to Home Chem Experiments. OH WHAT FUN! After this hiatus, we'll return to Life Sci for some fun dissections and protist study and The Way We Work and Exploring the Way We Work.

5LittleMonkeys - OH PLease, please can you post the science of cooking books you have? I bought one some time ago but was disappointed in it.

My two favorite cookbooks, the first of which has more information about techniques, preparation, tools, food types, etc. are; The Joy of Cooking http://www.amazon.com/1997-Cooking-Marion-Rombauer-Becker/dp/0684818701/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297519950&sr=8-3 and How to Cook Everything http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Everything-Simple-Recipes/dp/0471789186/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297520036&sr=1-2.

I just recently got these so I haven't had time to really go through them. They aren't really cookbooks I guess since they don't really have recipes like a regular cookbook would have. Here they are...http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks/dp/0596805888/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Cooking-Science-Lore-Kitchen/dp/0684800012/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297518946&sr=8-2

DD:

7th biology with Campbell Reece Concepts and connections (did not finish book)

8th College Physics (algebra /trigonometry based)

9th chemistry (in the process of researching curriculum)

10th AP biology

11th Calculus based Physics or AP Chemistry

will probably graduate early

DS:

5th 1 semester astronomy (started homeschooling January of 5th)

6th Earth science 1 semester/ Conceptual Physics 2nd semester

7th continue Conceptual Physics (Hewitt)

8th chemistry or biology - depends on what he prefers

not looking further ahead at this point

5LittleMonkeys - OH PLease, please can you post the science of cooking books you have? I bought one some time ago but was disappointed in it.

I'm not sure what age you are looking for, but my dd is currently reading What Einstein Told His Cook. She loves it.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Einstein-Told-His-Cook/dp/0393011836

FWIW.....our library carries this title as well as the #2 title.

DD:

9th chemistry (in the process of researching curriculum)

I have not found a chemistry curriculum that I have been perfectly happy with. My oldest had a chemistry teacher that used Apologia (which I don't like) but she gave out so many supplements that his stack of supplements by the end of the yr rivaled the textbook itself!

My #2 ds took chemistry at a private boy's school and they used PH + Schaums college chemistry.

Dd #3 used PH and Kolbe Academy's plans/guide/tests This was an ok course but the experiments were a huge disappointment and we did not like the virtual experiments (unlike Kinetic Books virtual physics experiments which were fantastic)

Ds #4 is using Spectrum. I have a love/hate relationship with this program. The experiments are absolutely fabulous. I will use the program with the rest of my children just for the experiment portion. I wish I had used it in conjunction with PH. I think the 2 combined would have been a better fit for this ds that loves science so much. I ended up adding in Plato's chemistry in Dec. It is adding some to it, but I think PH would have been better. It was too late by the time I realized that I wanted to add something to go back and add in PH b/c it is a large textbook and ds is already taking 8 1/2 credit hrs this yr.

Oh, the last 2 have also used the TC chemistry lectures as well. And, fwiw, I think the rest of the kids will probably do Kolbe's plans with the PH book combined with Spectrum.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I had hoped to have her do the Chemadvantage Honors Chemistry course, but found out that the course is no longer offered.

I have looked at Spectrum, but from what I see from the textbook excerpt, this is guaranteed to drive my DD crazy. She hated the cutesy , "student appropriate" writing of Exploring the way life works (bio); she will not like the way the Spectrum book talks about chemistry.

Right now, I am leaning towards the following combination: the TC lectures to provide some general chem intro; the Chang General Chemistry textbook (same text chemadvantage used for the Honors class) with the workbook, and a yet to be determined lab kit (which I will buy completely - while I am OK with designing the book/problem part of a chemistry course, I have no desire to invent a lab on my own).

Thanks for the heads up on the Spectrum lab.

I have not found a chemistry curriculum that I have been perfectly happy with. My oldest had a chemistry teacher that used Apologia (which I don't like) but she gave out so many supplements that his stack of supplements by the end of the yr rivaled the textbook itself!

My #2 ds took chemistry at a private boy's school and they used PH + Schaums college chemistry.

Dd #3 used PH and Kolbe Academy's plans/guide/tests This was an ok course but the experiments were a huge disappointment and we did not like the virtual experiments (unlike Kinetic Books virtual physics experiments which were fantastic)

Ds #4 is using Spectrum. I have a love/hate relationship with this program. The experiments are absolutely fabulous. I will use the program with the rest of my children just for the experiment portion. I wish I had used it in conjunction with PH. I think the 2 combined would have been a better fit for this ds that loves science so much. I ended up adding in Plato's chemistry in Dec. It is adding some to it, but I think PH would have been better. It was too late by the time I realized that I wanted to add something to go back and add in PH b/c it is a large textbook and ds is already taking 8 1/2 credit hrs this yr.

Oh, the last 2 have also used the TC chemistry lectures as well. And, fwiw, I think the rest of the kids will probably do Kolbe's plans with the PH book combined with Spectrum.

HTH

What Einstein Told His Cook looks like what I was looking for! And even better, my library has it! Usually for books I want, the library has to get them from another library. My library doesn't have the 2nd What Einstein told HIs book but it's in my system. WOOHOOO! I'm gonna pick it up today. Well, I have to see what books I can return as they have already let me go over my 50book limit. :glare: I promised I'd bring some books back.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I had hoped to have her do the Chemadvantage Honors Chemistry course, but found out that the course is no longer offered.

I have looked at Spectrum, but from what I see from the textbook excerpt, this is guaranteed to drive my DD crazy. She hated the cutesy , "student appropriate" writing of Exploring the way life works (bio); she will not like the way the Spectrum book talks about chemistry.

Right now, I am leaning towards the following combination: the TC lectures to provide some general chem intro; the Chang General Chemistry textbook (same text chemadvantage used for the Honors class) with the workbook, and a yet to be determined lab kit (which I will buy completely - while I am OK with designing the book/problem part of a chemistry course, I have no desire to invent a lab on my own).

Thanks for the heads up on the Spectrum lab.

If you don't mind the expense, I would save yourself a lot of aggravation and just go ahead and buy Spectrum. The labs truly are fabulous. You can not go wrong with it in this regard. I don't give full endorsement to many things, but this definitely gets completely high marks.

The Spectrum chem textbook consists of only a few pgs per section. It would be easy to just skim those pages and coordinate with any other textbook so that the textbook you choose and Spectrum's labs coordinate.

I'm going to look at the Chang book you posted for future reference.

SO just to be clear 8FilltheHeart, this is the Spectrum product you would buy http://beginningspublishing.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=50 to go w/ another chem textbook such as PH Chemistry? Did you buy the supplies as well? Oh and for what grade level would you recommend this combo?

Edited by Capt_Uhura

SO just to be clear 8FilltheHeart, this is the Spectrum product you would buy http://beginningspublishing.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=50 to go w/ another chem textbook such as PH Chemistry? Did you buy the supplies as well? Oh and for what grade level would you recommend this combo?

It is actually the chemical supplies and labs that I am recommending. The textbook is ok, but my ds really needs more. That is why I would recommend a different text (though many people are perfectly happy w/ Spectrum by itself.)

FWIW....this is for a high school chemistry credit. (you KNOW I'm not recommending textbooks prior to high school!!! :lol::lol::lol:)

It is actually the chemical supplies and labs that I am recommending. The textbook is ok, but my ds really needs more. That is why I would recommend a different text (though many people are perfectly happy w/ Spectrum by itself.)

FWIW....this is for a high school chemistry credit. (you KNOW I'm not recommending textbooks prior to high school!!! :lol::lol::lol:)

:lol:

Yep i know lol but would it be more for a 9th grader or 11th grader? I can't resist anything chemistry.

But you need the workbook I linked to above to go w/ the supplies correct? I looked at the non-consumable and I have most of what is there already.

Hey, I read that it is illegal to own Erlenmeyer flasks in the state of Texas!

I'm filing this away in my highschool binder!

All that to say that I would love to hear your tentative science plans for middle and high school. I'm trying to formulate something that will give me a general overview. My oldest will be in 6th grade next year, and she is the one I am planning for. I had planned to use Apologia General Science starting in 7th grade, but again, that could change.

Thanks!!

We are currently doing Apologia General Science for this year. I can tell you that this is what I have done and am going to do:

For 7th grade (this year):

We completed Chemistry. He was on a FIRST Lego League team and studied the human body. He is currently reading Apologia General Science.

For 8th grade:

We are doing physical science, but uncertain of Apologia or CPO Science. We are still deliberating over this one. However, we are uncertain because he is taking Algebra 1 and could do Biology here too.

9th grade:

Biology

10th grade:

Physics

11th grade:

Chemistry

I will go Apologia unless I find something else, but this schedule is not set in stone. It all depends. It is tentative.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We love science!

5th- Earth/Space Science-CPO earth science

6th-Biology- if we like CPO we'll use them again

7th- Physics (lite)- again hoping CPO

8th- Chemistry- not sure who yet

9th- Astronomy- plan on focusing on the theory and math

10th- Biology- again not sure which publisher

11th- Physics -hoping to focus on the math a lot- maybe at local CC

12th- Chemistry- maybe at local CC

the thing about science is all the math involved, I'm not a math person. I am hoping to have them take the more mathy sciences at a Community College.

I looked on the BJU website, and I see a 6th grade science, but it doesn't specifically say general science. Are you referring to the regular 6th grade science curriculum?

Yes, just the regular 6th grade. This is actually my favorite year of BJU that we have done or bought. I've used 5-7th and I bought Earth & Space but didn't use it.

In 7th grade, we finished up as many GEMS teachers guides as we could.

8th: Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Dd fell in love with physics during the course of the year.

9th: Chemistry, using Living By Chemistry, assorted real books, labs and field trips with her dad who is a marine chemistry professor.

10th: Biology. This is NOT dd's interest; plus I've read a number of articles on the way that many textbook-based curricula leave kids with so much minutia, vocabulary, etc. that they miss the overarching big issues. So, we are going to attempt a year based on real books rather than textbooks, plus labs that are as uncanned as I can get them, field trips, lectures at local bookstore that sponsors science readings, and occasional public lectures at dh's work. Hope to call in favors from dh's colleagues to come have dinner at our house and discuss their work on such things was whales, plankton, etc. We'll have a used textbook (that is, a cheap one) to refer to as needed.

11th: Physics (dd's favorite) again. Either dd will take this at community college or audit a class at the local university where her dad works.

12th: Most likely a combination of university auditing and working in her dad's lab.

All of this is subject to drastic revision as needed!

Most of the newer library books that I listed in the second part of my list at least mention them. I think What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? also mentions them, but it's a much simpler book.

I just did the free trial with Brain Pop (I think it's good for 5 days). I can't quite recall whether they include that info, or not....

There are some other books out now for kids that specifically cover these more in depth:

The Quark, Fred Bortz

The Neutrino, Fred Bortz

(He also has written The Proton, The Electron, and The Neutron, as well as a book on astrobiology that I'd like to see....)

Quarks and Sparks: The Story of Nuclear Power, J. S. and Renee Kidd

Most of the newer library books that I listed in the second part of my list at least mention them. I think What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? also mentions them, but it's a much simpler book.

I just did the free trial with Brain Pop (I think it's good for 5 days). I can't quite recall whether they include that info, or not....

There are some other books out now for kids that specifically cover these more in depth:

The Quark, Fred Bortz

The Neutrino, Fred Bortz

(He also has written The Proton, The Electron, and The Neutron, as well as a book on astrobiology that I'd like to see....)

Quarks and Sparks: The Story of Nuclear Power, J. S. and Renee Kidd

I own several of the Bortz books (The Electron, etc plus Seven Wonders of Exploration Technology). They are thin books with fairly large typeset which makes them look childish. But the content is solid.

:lol:

Yep i know lol but would it be more for a 9th grader or 11th grader? I can't resist anything chemistry.

But you need the workbook I linked to above to go w/ the supplies correct? I looked at the non-consumable and I have most of what is there already.

Hey, I read that it is illegal to own Erlenmeyer flasks in the state of Texas!

I'm filing this away in my highschool binder!

Gotcha. Yes, that is the lab manual.

As far as 9th or 11th, I don't know that it really matters. My kids take chemistry before 11th. Hmmmm. There is a huge difference in a 9th grader and a 12th grader. I've never really given it any thought. ;) The labs are absolutely suitable for any high school chemistry course, though.

Well for the op, I'll just say I don't see a problem with your idea to continue with the God's Design for Science books that interest you. If you do those, you could still go into the BJU Life Science in 7th, if that is your preference. We did the BJU elementary stuff, but I wasn't in love with it (nor was dd). I wouldn't give up something you LIKE for it, kwim?

I don't know where dd will come out with her skills and interests. She has sort of blossomed this year, and she's a funny bird, not so much mathy or sciency, even though she's fine at them. She says wants to study interior design actually. :)

Anyways, the progression I'm on with her right now is:

6th-BJU Life Science

7th-BJU Earth Science

Those I'm certain of. (As certain as a human can be?? LOL) After that, I have a couple tracks in my mind.

Track A:

8th-BJU Physical Science

9th-BJU Biology

10th-Chemistry

11th-Physics

12th-elective

Track B:

8th-Conceptual Physics

9th-Conceptual Chemistry

10th-BJU Biology plus stuff to bring it up to AP level

11th-AP Chem

12th-BC Physics (calc-based)

Just depends on what she wants, where her math is, and how she turns out as a person. Lots to think about. I was like that in school too, able to do things but not necessary CARING about them or loving them. So I'm trying to balance in my mind what is long-term useful or her best option, considering she's exceedingly, exceedingly unlikely to take anything beyond the most basic/required courses for science or math in college. I think there's a certain value in having seen the more rigorous stuff before, especially if you want to homeschool later. Sort of puts some academic hair on your chest, so you're not afraid of things. So I dream big for her, and we'll see what happens. She may surprise me and go nursing or something, but I think she's more likely to go either toward the arts or humanities, meaning whatever I get into her is it.

Hey Karen--Can you tell us more about Living with Chemistry? Is it working out well? Are there gaps or weaknesses?

Its appearance is deceiving in some ways. It looks very clean, easy to read, conceptual -- and it is. But that can make it appear simple, and it is not. This is what probably is considered an honors level book. Last week dd encountered a need for logarithms, which took both of us completely by surprise, and I suspect this is why the fancy pants private school we looked at used this book for one year and then dropped it; it does require increasing amounts of math as you go along, more math than I assumed from the samples online. On the other hand, if you read ahead and don't just blithely tell your child, "Read the next chapter, honey," then you will catch the parts where more math is required than your child has yet been exposed to, and you can easily skip those chapters.

However, math with science is GOOD. That's what it's all about from dh's standpoint (he's a professor of marine chemistry).

There are some interesting games, models to build, and activities that go with the textbook. I liked them; they helped me understand some of what the book was talking about that I completely missed during my required chem-for-humanities-dummies classes I took at university.

Some of the labs in the book appear very simple, but in practice they're quite memorable in that the concepts really stick. We are also doing lots of other labs with stuff dh brings home on the weekends, field trips, etc.; but these are not required as far as the textbook goes.

I've posted before to the effect that most people agree high school chem textbooks are generally problematic, not as well done as the really good physics or biology ones. Any text you choose is going to come with avantages and problems.