Menu

s/o China thread, Are you allowed to sell you mom's wedding china?

My mom gave me her wedding china years ago. It's Noritake. I don't like it. It's in a box in a storage garage 20 minutes from my house. Can I sell it? Yes, she's still alive, but she certainly knows I don't use it. Ever. My house is tiny and we never have fancy company. It has been in the same box for over 30 years.

(edited to ad: my parent's are divorced. It was bitter and my dad is a horrible person, so nothing from their wedding has sentimental value for anyone. It's just that my mom has had it for 50 years!)

I also have my Grandma's china. I have no idea what it is. It is also in the storage garage. She collected it as a young woman using stamps from her grociery store. There are a million pieces. It's got to be 80 years old. Can I sell this? None of my children will ever use it. It is silver and violet flowers on white. Very pretty actually, but what do you do with it? My kids have never even seen it. Grandma is long passed.

I've just always thought I had to keep these things and pass them on. But...I guess I don't, right?!

Edited by katemary63

I don't think we need to keep things like that. Have you looked into a local antique or consignment shop? You could try ebay, but they seem to be inundated with things like that lately. I think everyone is selling to make some money.

We don't have china (thank goodness!), but I have my mom's silverware. I plan to keep it because it's only a small chest. ( I'll unload it on my dd someday. ;)) I also have my grandmother's silver-plate - lots of platters, bowls, etc. I hate it (it's very ornate), never use it, and have found it's not really valuable. I just haven't gotten around to boxing it up and dropping it somewhere.

I inherited my MILs china recently, and my 11 yr old asked if we could use the tea cups and teapot on her next b'day. Of course I said yes. Both of my dds have asked if they could have it when they are older. lol I told them they might have to take turns each year if they are both still interested when the time comes. My mother had some glassware of my grandmother's that she didn't care for but I liked, so asking around might me a good idea. Others may have more of a connection to certain things. In my family, it's obviously dishes. lol

Just a little plug here though - why not use it? I have inherited a TON of china from Dh's family and it is almost to the point of the ridiculous how much I have. So, I use it - a lot. If we're having a baby shower, I volunteer my china. If we're having a coffee meeting, I volunteer my china. I hope none of it breaks, but if it does at least it was being used and enjoyed.

We had a wedding closet at our old church where people could donate fancy dishes, tableclothes etc. to be used for receptions, showers, funerals, etc. Maybe you could start something like that? China is ever so much nicer than paper plates!

I've just always thought I had to keep these things and pass them on. But...I guess I don't, right?!

No, you don't. And you shouldn't feel guilty (not saying you do, but just in case) for getting rid of it.

I always offer family stuff to a family member first. I've even asked younger family members if they think they'll want it someday. If no one shows an interest, I go ahead and get rid of it.

The way I look at it is that someone else would be happy to have it, and you at least get a little money out of it. Win-win.

I also have my Grandma's china. I have no idea what it is. It is also in the storage garage. She collected it as a young woman using stamps from her grociery store. There are a million pieces. It's got to be 80 years old. Can I sell this? None of my children will ever use it. It is silver and violet flowers on white. Very pretty actually, but what do you do with it? My kids have never even seen it. Grandma is long passed.

Sounds like mine. Not dishwasher safe but I like it.

Did you notice that the dinner plates are considerably smaller than today's?

Did you notice that the dinner plates are considerably smaller than today's?

I read that somewhere not long ago. It's one of the things that encourages us to eat more. We fill a plate, regardless of the size. Bigger plate, bigger portion, without us even realizing it most of the time. Hmmm. There's a diet idea - Use Grandma's china to lose weight. ;)

please dig it out and at least look at it with your girls before you decide. My grandmother died when I was 10. My kids (obviously) never met her, but they love my memories and her china, because we think of her when we use it. You may have one child who will want to reconnect with her long gone relatives through it....sounds silly when I type it out, but that is just the way it is round here.

My Mom sold her own china years ago....... I have some of my own Lenox Charleston that I want to sell.... and will someday.

Sell it! Be done with it. Move on with life..............

:iagree: If you don't love and use it regularly, check around the family and see who might want it and if no takers, sell it.

Why not just ask your mom how she feels about it? She will probably be glad to see you get some money for it, since you're not using it, anyway.

I wouldn't give it away to a family member, because you'll probably just find out later that they sold it and bought something great with the money. :glare:

Cat

Just a little plug here though - why not use it?

:iagree: Esp. your Grandma's if it's pretty. I decided to just use the china I got for my wedding. We rarely have company, and when we do they almost always have little kids...so I don't want to use it then. But I do use it for Dh and I all the time. I have boys, so I doubt they'll want it some day. If you don't have room for it, or the desire to use it....I'd sell it.

make sure no family wants it first.

This. By the time my grandma died, I already had a house and a couple kids. Nobody asked me if I wanted any of grandma's things. My siblings, who were all setting up new houses by then, all got things like her gorgeous sleigh beds and dressers. I got NOTHING! Seriously, I would LOVE her china. Something. Anything, really. I grew up in a house where I knew where each piece of furniture came from - great, great grandpa MADE this. And, this piece was great grandma's! My current house has NONE of that. It makes me sad. But, I don't want to complain to my mom and dad because I don't want to seem like the jerk who didn't get the STUFF after a funeral. Really, it's not about that.

I LOVE family history. Definitely offer it to your kids first. You may be surprised. Dh and I have china for every day and china for Christmas. We use it a LOT! I hope that my kids will have wonderful memories surrounding those pieces and want them in the future!