Menu

Small Vent- Computers in the children section of the library

The OP is talking about those little computers with only toddler games on them. We had some at my old library. Three computers on toddler tables, and they played only 2 or 3 games. As soon as we'd walk in to the section you'd find the computer tables there and a bunch or suddenly-cranky toddlers and preschoolers begging and stalling their legs just to bang on the keyboard and fiddle with the mouse. Oh yes, and to wear the headphones! My kids didn't go further into the children's section. They'd just watch over another kid's shoulder until they got their own turn. They didn't venture to the puppets, theater, or board books. It totally irked me. I didn't get why those toddler games had to be there.

However, I am ALL for other computers in the libarary, of course!!!

One more question: why was a previous poster (Pretty In Pink?) bothered by little chairs and puppets in the children's room?

When I was hsing my oldest for K and 1st, and had the preschooler as well, and neither of them could read yet, and I had to spend 30 minutes to an hour dashing through the library finding the books that I needed for the week (because we relied almost entirely on the library for K and 1st)...

...I would have LOVED to have plopped them down at a game so I could grab the books we needed. It was grueling running around that library grabbing the 20 or so books we needed each week. My knees used to ache so badly after getting those books. All the books were at kid level, and I'd have to kneel down to find them, get back up to chase my kid, kneel back down, get back up.

Games would have preserved my sanity and forestalled the greying of my hair.

The OP is talking about those little computers with only toddler games on them. We had some at my old library. Three computers on toddler tables, and they played only 2 or 3 games. As soon as we'd walk in to the section you'd find the computer tables there and a bunch or suddenly-cranky toddlers and preschoolers begging and stalling their legs just to bang on the keyboard and fiddle with the mouse. Oh yes, and to wear the headphones! My kids didn't go further into the children's section. They'd just watch over another kid's shoulder until they got their own turn. They didn't venture to the puppets, theater, or board books. It totally irked me. I didn't get why those toddler games had to be there.

However, I am ALL for other computers in the libarary, of course!!!

One more question: why was a previous poster (Pretty In Pink?) bothered by little chairs and puppets in the children's room?

Yes thank you for clarifying. I am not against computers in the library. I am just unhappy about the ones that seem to be geared towards the toddlers with only games on them.

Okay, I'll bite. Why?

Cause of the fact they are likely germ collectors?

No, the germ factor doesn't bother me. At my local library (and I am speaking only of my current, local library) these items annoy me because the librarians get upset the second a child makes a peep of noise. The children's room is a completely isolated room (it does not share a wall with the adult section of the library at all; it is down a hall, behind a closed door). They put out hand puppets, stuffed animals, floor puzzles, bean bags, and those soft, foam chairs and then get upset if a little one makes noise while playing with the puppets, if they move the foam chairs, or make too much noise on the beanbags. It's like everything is for looks but not to be touched.

I assume that the computers in the library are intended for the benefit of children who do not have access to computers at home. I am glad to have them and I am glad to pay for them with my tax dollars, and I am glad for my kids to use them while I am looking around for schoolbooks.

But after 10 minutes or so, I am done and they either unplug and browse or unplug and leave.

I love taking my kids to the library to explore books and nurture their interests. However, the children's section of our library has a small area with computers that have specific children games etc...They have another section where they have computers for the older children so that they can do their research, which i have no problem with. I have a problem with the computers for the little kids. My kids are so focused on playing on the computers that they practically ignore the books around them. Am I the only one who thinks these computers are a little distracting and do not belong in a library? Or am i missing a perspective here?

Hmmm. Our library has computers in the childrens area for children to use but neither of my kids have ever even asked to go on one. They love books, we go every 1-2 weeks, if they are going to find books to check out they know it is then. I guess I would simply tell them before they go that the computers are off limits. You are going to the library to look at and find books that you want to read.

No, the germ factor doesn't bother me. At my local library (and I am speaking only of my current, local library) these items annoy me because the librarians get upset the second a child makes a peep of noise. The children's room is a completely isolated room (it does not share a wall with the adult section of the library at all; it is down a hall, behind a closed door). They put out hand puppets, stuffed animals, floor puzzles, bean bags, and those soft, foam chairs and then get upset if a little one makes noise while playing with the puppets, if they move the foam chairs, or make too much noise on the beanbags. It's like everything is for looks but not to be touched.

Yikes. They would ban us from that library if it was our local branch, I'm sure! My son is Autistic and squeals and squalks so loudly all of the time. He loves to go to the library though and look at the books and videos and music cd's. Most of the librarians in our library know he's Autistic and don't give us grief over it, but there is one sourpuss there that knows and just doesn't care. She's always telling us we need to keep him quiet or leave. :(

I actually appreciate the computers in the children's section. When we didn't have internet at home we used the library computers. If those computers weren't in the children's section, my children would be sitting next to adults who might be looking at sites I wouldn't want my children exposed to.

Now that we do have our own internet service I simply tell my children no computer time at the library. End of story. Not a big deal.

Yikes. They would ban us from that library if it was our local branch, I'm sure! My son is Autistic and squeals and squalks so loudly all of the time. He loves to go to the library though and look at the books and videos and music cd's. Most of the librarians in our library know he's Autistic and don't give us grief over it, but there is one sourpuss there that knows and just doesn't care. She's always telling us we need to keep him quiet or leave. :(

You need to tell this lady to mind her own business.

Libraries are 'public' buildings, aren't they? Wouldn't there be some sort of automatic policy that prohibits any kind of discrimination based on disability in place for a public building?

You need to tell this lady to mind her own business.

Libraries are 'public' buildings, aren't they? Wouldn't there be some sort of automatic policy that prohibits any kind of discrimination based on disability in place for a public building?

To be fair, it's not like she singles us out or anything, she's pretty much hostile to everyone as far as I can tell. She's the manager in the check out/circulation area. We pretty much just ignore her. There are policemen inside the library, but to my knowledge they've never thrown out a patron that didn't deserve to be thrown out. :)

Our library has the computers for the teens out in plain view of all. I'm not sure how many there are, but I would estimate it's at least twenty. In the afternoon, they fill up with the kids from the middle school. I would say at least 95% of them are playing some game where there is a person with a gun trying to shoot others. Always. That is really all I have ever seen on those computers. I really can't stand it. I am a bit over it now, but I was horrified when my kids were younger and hadn't been exposed to anything like that. I think a trip to the library shouldn't be an opportunity to witness killing on a screen!

I spoke in a kind of offhand way to one of the librarians about it once and she got very defensive. She gave me all kinds of reasons why giving these kids a chance to use computers is important, etc. Ummmmm......okay....but to play violent games only?????

I have never had a problem with my kids and the computers in the kids section. When they were younger they might play on the computer for a little while and then go look at books, or vice versa. No big deal.

What I have a HUGE problem with is adults who use the computers in the kids section. Extremely creepy!! I have mentioned it to the librarians but they do nothing about it.

Our library has the computers for the teens out in plain view of all. I'm not sure how many there are, but I would estimate it's at least twenty. In the afternoon, they fill up with the kids from the middle school. I would say at least 95% of them are playing some game where there is a person with a gun trying to shoot others. Always. That is really all I have ever seen on those computers. I really can't stand it. I am a bit over it now, but I was horrified when my kids were younger and hadn't been exposed to anything like that. I think a trip to the library shouldn't be an opportunity to witness killing on a screen!

I spoke in a kind of offhand way to one of the librarians about it once and she got very defensive. She gave me all kinds of reasons why giving these kids a chance to use computers is important, etc. Ummmmm......okay....but to play violent games only?????

Exactly. Our old library had about 25 computers that took up 1/3 of the children's section. I never saw any kids doing "work" on the computer. All of them were playing games. Some of them were looking at pretty foul sites too such as one where the kids make their friends poop on each other in graphic cartoon figures.

It's nice that kids who don't have access to a computer now do, but really, is this what we had in mind?

We had to make specific rules about not using the computers at the library except to look up items on the catalog, because they were too distracting. What ends up happening at our library is little ones, say 2-4 years old, are left alone at the computers while the adult browses, causing the librarians to spend a lot of time searching for the adults and telling them the computers are not meant as baby sitters.

:iagree:At our library, there are signs posted near these computers, citing the New Jersey law regarding unaccompanied minors in a library -- it's actually considered child abandonment, or something like that.

Our library (and others in the area) had a real problem with pedophiles lingering at the computers in the children's section, just waiting for parents to leave children at the computers.

I don't really have a problem with it because I don't let the kids play on the computer at home, so it's a real novelty for them. I do have a rule, though, that we have to spend a certain amount of time looking for books and doing the other library activities before they can get on the computer.

The only computer we use at the library is the catalog. My kids play enough computer games at home. They aren't at all interested in them when we get to the library. They want the books. :)

The computers in the children's section have signs that they are only to be used by children. Some of them are marked for homework use only. The tables in that section are reserved for children only as well. There are many more computers and tables in other areas of the library.

I used to feel the same way, and when my kids were age 9 and younger - the computers were a bug attraction to them. However, the computers at the library had SPEED! unlike ours at home. So they never did much on the computer at home.

Now that we have SPEED! at home - they never have an interest in the computers at the library. In fact, since our move, they haven't even been on the library computers.

Unfortunately there are other distractions at the library - currently - the distraction is Garfield comic books!! :tongue_smilie:

Yes thank you for clarifying. I am not against computers in the library. I am just unhappy about the ones that seem to be geared towards the toddlers with only games on them.

What would a toddler do on a computer other than play games? You can argue that a toddler doesn't NEED to play computer games, but an awful lot of parents spend an awful lot of money buying educational computer games for toddlers/preschoolers, so I think it's fair enough to have them in the library.

I love taking my kids to the library to explore books and nurture their interests. However, the children's section of our library has a small area with computers that have specific children games etc...They have another section where they have computers for the older children so that they can do their research, which i have no problem with. I have a problem with the computers for the little kids. My kids are so focused on playing on the computers that they practically ignore the books around them. Am I the only one who thinks these computers are a little distracting and do not belong in a library? Or am i missing a perspective here?

I have no problem with a child using a computer for research.

However I do have a problem with children and adults sitting at a computer mindlessly playing games in the public library.

It is quite annoying.

It's why I don't like our library either. The library seems to be over run with computers and people using them and not with people actually getting books.