Menu

What features do you like/dislike about your dishwasher?

I might have that 'hard food disposal system" thing.

All I know is that I walked into the store and said "give a dishwasher where I don't have to wash the dishes before I was the dishes" She pointed out three choices. I am so happy I can just put a dirty dish in the maching without having to scrape or rinse. Well, I do rinse some stuff, like egg or oatmeal or rice but I can live with that.

From those three I picked the one with adjustable racks. I looove that part as well. I can put all different kinds of pots and cake stands and weird casserole dishes and muffin pans etc.

Have fun!

We haven't bought a new dishwasher in 14 years! I know there are many new features for dishwashers now. What do you like about yours? Dislike? Any particular brands/models that you would recommend? Thank you!

I'll tell you what I don't like about my dishwasher (Bosch)--it's the top shelf. I confess, I really didn't pay too much attention to this when we were looking, but it doesn't have all prongs. It also has these curvy parts where bowls are supposed to fit--but our bowls don't fit in them, and nothing else fits really well either. So I feel like the top just can't get loaded that efficiently. So pay attention to how things might fit on both shelves! For some reason, i was really concerned with the bottom part, and I don't even remember really glancing too closely at the top!

(But I do love how quiet my Bosch is, and how efficient it is!)

Mine is quite a few years old; it's a Miele.

What I love about it:

• It has a 3rd, narrow, top rack for silverware. You lay the silverware out rather than standing it up in an upright holder. Love, love, love this 3rd rack.
  • It has a 'top solo' feature where I can set it to wash only the top rack (and the silverware rack). It's great when you have lots of cups or small bowls, but not enough for a full load.
  • It is extremely water efficient.
  • It is very quiet.

Stay AWAY from Samsung!!! I'm still in the middle of repairs. It's not even 2yrs old. Had trouble from the get-go. It stinks. Whirlpool and GE seem to do the job just fine. I'm really cranky about my dishwasher these days. The repairman was here just earlier, too. Didn't have one part. Those darn, inefficient people!! Aaackk!!!

Stay AWAY from Samsung!!! I'm still in the middle of repairs. It's not even 2yrs old. Had trouble from the get-go. It stinks. Whirlpool and GE seem to do the job just fine. I'm really cranky about my dishwasher these days. The repairman was here just earlier, too. Didn't have one part. Those darn, inefficient people!! Aaackk!!!

Sorry to hear that. I have a samsung (1 yr old). We had to have repairs but it was the house's fault (electrical surge issue) :glare:. We like it. It has:

• the hard food disposal

• whisper quiet, seriously WOW quiet

• countdown to finish in a lovely blue l.e.d. display

• tall tub with adjustable/re-arrangeable racks

• sanitize setting

• energy efficient

• no exposed bottom heating element so plastic doesn't melt

• stainless steel interior

We have the white exterior because I refused to pay extra for the stainless steel exterior. I told dh if he wants to see stainless steel to just leave the door open and stare at the inside :D.

Whichever model you get, if you live in a state in which phosphates in detergents are banned, the dishes may not get clean.

Consumer Reports has an article about how to solve this problem in their January 2011 issue.

I bought the Finish Powerball detergent (it comes in little single use packets) and it solved our problem. I no longer have to wash most of the dishes and all of the glasses by hand after they have been washed in the dishwasher. Actually, for about a month, I gave up on using the dishwasher because of this problem.

My old one did. So now my glasses all look cloudy, and I was told by our appliance repairman that when they heat dry, there is a residue that bakes on. When they air dry everything drips off. If I could remember, I would try to time the cycle and just open the door when it was done washing and rinsing and let it air dry. But I am always doing other things while it's washing, so I keep forgetting. :glare:

DH bought me a new Bosch dishwasher this past summer and I love it. I have no problem fitting things in the top rack but mine has plenty of prongs.

• I love that the silverware basket can be put in many different configurations.
  • I love that it has no heating element, so it always air drys using just the residual heat of the water/steam to dry things
  • I love that it is super quiet, it has a little red light that shines on the floor to let me know it's running
  • I love that I can take the top rack out and put a special nozzle in if I have to wash really tall serving dishes/cutting boards
  • I love that on the bottom some of the tines can be folded down for larger casserole dishes to be able to fit
  • I love that everything comes out so much cleaner, I use Finish quantum tablets because dh found them on sale and I haven't run out yet, but have used basic tabs and never had the no phosphate thing be a problem
  • I love that I have the option to just do a "half load" which means if I only have dishes on the bottom, it will only clean with those sprayers, not wasting water on the top rack.
  • I love that it's stainless steel inside so it always stays nice and clean inside, not all stained and yucky looking
  • I love that it was so easy to install, dh and I did it ourselves in about 1 hr

That's all I can think of for now, but I wouldn't trade this dishwasher for anything.

We had a Bosch in our last house, and I loved it! It was so quiet that you had to put your hand on it to tell whether it was running.

My dad and step-mom have a Bosch and it's super quiet. I love that about it. They have an open floor plan (kitchen and living room connected) and you can easily sit in the living room and have a conversation while the dishwasher is running.

We have a Kenmore Elite that's 4 years old. It used to be pretty quiet, but it seems to have become noisier over that last couple years.

The feature I like best about it is the delay timer, which allows us to set it to run 2, 4, or 6 hours later. We usually run it over night. Of course if it were quieter, I probably wouldn't care about that so much!

I inherited a dishwasher that has the silverware bin on the door, and it drives me crazy. I either have to load all silverware, then all dishes (or vice versa) or I have to keep pushing in/pulling out the bottom rack, because it covers the silverware bin when it's pulled out.

that's weird because I love mine. HMMM....you know, I just naturally load my dishes first and the silverware last. I even do this at my parents and in-laws, where the dw is different. habit??? I just always dump all the silverware in the bottom of the sink while I am rinsing.

We haven't bought a new dishwasher in 14 years! I know there are many new features for dishwashers now. What do you like about yours? Dislike? Any particular brands/models that you would recommend? Thank you!

I would definitely recommend my dishwasher! 1966-model Canadian-made farmer.

He cooks a good breakfast, too. ;)