Menu

Does anyone here NOT study Latin?

Hesitant to admit it, but no, you are not alone.

I tried three times with my oldest, and she just sincerely hates it. She is loving Spanish, though, and since we moved to TX, she is actually getting to use Spanish in real life.

In an ideal world, I would be doing it. But right now, there are not enough hours in the day or motivational tools in my arsenal to get that ball going.

I bought Minimus for mine a while back because one asked. They listened to it and that was as far as we wanted to go. Don't sweat it. I can't stand Latin. Mine will be learning French when they are ready. At least the subject stays in a predictable place!

We did Latin for 3 or 4 years. . . and let it go about 18 mos ago to concentrate on other things. Like you, we're doing Spanish. My kids have a lot of time consuming interests (music, etc), so I just couldn't see continuing two languages, and I personally think a modern language is more important (and we have local resources for tutors/uni classes/etc.)

We do Latin & Greek roots.... I own Minimus, we have read through it. I read Latin Centered Curriculum, Climbing Parnassus, TWTM etc. I still can't do it. :tongue_smilie:

We attempt to study Italian.

I am not a foreign language person. I spend enough of my brain time trying to teach other things I am not good at...Algebra, for example.

I really tried to teach Latin. And Greek. And failed. I tried for 3 years. We've used Minimus, Matin Latin, Latin's Not so Tough (and its partner Hey Andrew), Latin for Children, and Latin Road to English Grammar.

We will start Spanish this coming week :001_smile: I do have English from the Roots Up and will also use that beginning Mon.

My dd did do Latin, but my ds will NOT be doing Latin.

I have Latin co-op classes available, but my kids are so different, plus I have learned a few things about myself in the process.

My dd is language, writing, and reading oriented. Learning a foreign language comes easily and intuitively to her. It made sense for her to have the grounding in Latin to support her other strengths. I had a co-op class available, and dd is strong enough in this area that she did not need much from me outside of the co-op class.

Ds, on the other hand, struggles more with language. Memorizing the vocab does not come as easily to him, and he doesn't have the intuitive understanding of the language structure that dd has. He needs a LOT more help from me to learn a different language. There is no way he could learn two languages concurrently the way dd did (Latin and Spanish)--learning just Spanish has been challenging enough for him. I'd rather focus our efforts on learning Spanish with excellence and have him end up with a language he can actively use as an adult.

I have also learned that despite all my high-minded educational ideals, I just don't have any desire to personally learn Latin. Like you, looking at Latin curriculum makes me twitch. If I'm going to put in that much effort, I'd rather it be on Spanish or on my father's language, German. The only way my kids can have Latin is through an outside class--I just cannot personally do it.

Our choices have worked well for us. Dd had four years of Latin, and it has helped her in both Spanish and with English grammar. I didn't have to do much for that to happen. Dd likes foreign language and would like to both continue with Spanish and add in a different language in high school. Ds will focus on Spanish, and he thinks it would be cool to add in sign language in high school. The different language learning plans fit both kids to a T, and both plans will prepare them well for the future.

You know I've struggled with this as well. I wanted my dc to do Latin studies because I've read that it increases vocab, gives a better understanding of the English language, and thought it would benefit my oldest who is going into a science field. We started out at the beginning of this year with Latina Christiana I and my two oldest dds did fine memorizing all of the vocab and declensions but they weren't really into it. It was just something to get done with. We are switching to Latin Prep next week since it has more in the way of actually applying what they are learning. I'm hoping they will enjoy the translation portion of this program...if they don't and it remains a subject to just get done with then we won't pursue it any farther.

I'm beginning to wonder about what exactly they are getting out of the study of Latin that they couldn't get with a root study. (And a lot less painfully too, I might add.) I don't feel it is the same as needing maths, grammar, reading and writing. I figure I've given it a good attempt and I don't see the benefit of making them do it just for the sake of saying we do Latin unless its something they really have a passion for.

We're not learning/studying ANY foreign language as of yet. When we do, it won't be Latin; it'll be something...I don't know if "more likely to actually be used" is the term I would use but for lack of something better to say...

I had a year of high school Spanish and a year of high school French, never learned any Latin, and I don't feel "robbed" or incomplete because I'm not fluent in another language etc.

There's only so many hours in the day and there are so many interesting things out there to be learned. They've got to be prioritized somehow, and adding on a foreign language to my 10 y/o's day just isn't high on my priority list, or hers, I guess!

Not really - my kids are studying two modern foreign languages rather intensively. One of my dds did express an interest in learning Latin on her own, so I got her Galore Park's SYRWTL Latin, but that's up to her to get through it.

Other than that, we're just stuyding Latin (and Greek) roots with a vocab program.

We did several years of latin and stopped. It just wasn't going to be a strong point for dd and was taking away from other, more important things. The world does not stop if you don't do latin. Anything you can do now you can do even faster later. I just wouldn't sweat it. Since you've started spanish in elementary, how about focusing on that, getting to a proficiency level (able to read, etc.), then doing latin in high school for credit?

Latin is fine, but I studied all kinds of languages in high school and college without it. Even SWB writes in her blog that at one point she was thunking her head wondering why she was doing it with a particular dc. You could make lots of arguments for and against is. Really though, the main thing is to focus on what you're doing, do a good job on it, and do the next thing later. That's my two cents. :)

BTW, if your dc WANTS to do latin, by all means add it in. :)

So......is it a bad thing if you DO study Latin? There was such a response to this thread, I was curious. We start homeschooling tomorrow, and Latina Christiana I is on the list. He is also doing Spanish online, but it is SO simple for him right now.

I want him to know a living language at some point, but I like the idea of studying Latin. He's into science, A LOT, and Latin works well for that. Just curious.

So......is it a bad thing if you DO study Latin? There was such a response to this thread, I was curious.

Of course not, lol. Lots more people do study latin. And some of us tried it and stopped. We're just in the contingent that has found the world goes on if you don't do latin. :)

So......is it a bad thing if you DO study Latin? There was such a response to this thread, I was curious. We start homeschooling tomorrow, and Latina Christiana I is on the list. He is also doing Spanish online, but it is SO simple for him right now.

I want him to know a living language at some point, but I like the idea of studying Latin. He's into science, A LOT, and Latin works well for that. Just curious.

Do what you want to do (what's right for your kids) and don't worry about everyone else :)

We did not start home schooling until the youngest began 4th grade, so Latin was not in the picture. The kids all do extensive root work and there is only so much time in the day. Spanish is a must-do as we live on the West Coast and Japanese or Chinese are the other options as they are part of my children's heritage. Do what feels right for you.

Not at all. My older dc have very time consuming commitments/passions in music. Between practicing, lessons, gigs, travel to gigs & lessons, etc., they probably spend 20-30/hrs or more most weeks on music. If it weren't for those commitments, we'd have loads more time, and they'd surely still be studying Latin. It was valuable, enjoyable, and worthwhile. I just had to let it go as they got older & their music took up more & more time.

ME!!! I don't!

I'm on board with the rationale for it. I wanted to have everyone learn it; I started it with the olders when they were grammar stage, and then had a tutor for it. They did okay. It was only one year.

I just can't do it myself; I never learned it and it's too much for me. It's helpful to know my limits.

DS12 is going to spend 7th and 8th, at least, doing Latin and Greek roots, though (I'm not telling him yet).

I tried several programs:

(not in order)

Minimus

Latin for Children

English from the Roots Up (not really a language program like the others)

Latin Prep

Latin's Not So Tough

Getting Started with Latin

We're Latin program failures. :lol:

We've settled into a traditional education, like a regular public/private school. My kids will get 2 years of whatever language they choose but I have absolutely no confidence it will do them any good beyond teaching them a few words in greetings and colors.