Menu

I will not be using the paypal personal payment option

I purchased WWE 3 from a WTM member on 11/10 and haven't received it yet. I have sent several private messages and emails to her, as well as posting a thread with her name in it. I have received no answer. I tried to file with paypal, and I can't because it was a "personal" payment. I blame myself for this, of course, because I didn't pay attention to the policies about the personal payment. I didn't realize there is no way to get your money back if you don't receive your item. It stinks, but I learned a lesson. I just thank God it was only $20 and not more. :glare:

I purchased WWE 3 from a WTM member on 11/10 and haven't received it yet. I have sent several private messages and emails to her, as well as posting a thread with her name in it. I have received no answer. I tried to file with paypal, and I can't because it was a "personal" payment. I blame myself for this, of course, because I didn't pay attention to the policies about the personal payment. I didn't realize there is no way to get your money back if you don't receive your item. It stinks, but I learned a lesson. I just thank God it was only $20 and not more. :glare:

Is this what people mean when they say something like "prefer a non-fee Paypal payment"? They don't receive a fee if you list it as a personal payment rather than a business transaction? But then you're just stuck if they don't hold up their end of the deal? I appreciate the warning. I've wondered about this, and now I know not to do it. I'm sorry that happened to you. But I do appreciate you letting the rest of us know!

I would like to think that she's just temporarily away; not that she's avoiding you. I have to say, that bulk mail takes a long time to receive sometimes... As well as people not sending things for a few days... and now we hit the holidays. If your sender to be is reading this... make sure the pkg isn't under a car seat or something.... If it is... just pop it in the mail and we'll all think you're great!!

:)

Yet another reason I have decided not to use PayPal at all. I hate the fees and don't want to have to charge extra. I'll just take a check or money order thank you!

Hopefully it comes soon and wasn't lost. I had this happen to me once, and it took extra work on my part and an extra two weeks to get it resolved!

Is this what people mean when they say something like "prefer a non-fee Paypal payment"? They don't receive a fee if you list it as a personal payment rather than a business transaction? But then you're just stuck if they don't hold up their end of the deal? I appreciate the warning. I've wondered about this, and now I know not to do it. I'm sorry that happened to you. But I do appreciate you letting the rest of us know!

Yes, exactly right. If you use the other type of paypal, the seller pays the fees, and the buyer has no way of getting their money back if the seller doesn't hold up their end of the deal.

I would like to think that she's just temporarily away; not that she's avoiding you. I have to say, that bulk mail takes a long time to receive sometimes... As well as people not sending things for a few days... and now we hit the holidays. If your sender to be is reading this... make sure the pkg isn't under a car seat or something.... If it is... just pop it in the mail and we'll all think you're great!!

:)

Oh, I totally understand things get stuck under seats. I sent my husband to the post office with several packages one day, and one of them didn't get mailed. It was to someone here; I can't remember who. Anyway, I didn't know until they emailed me asking about it. Then I found it under the seat in the truck.

The seller in my case hasn't been on the boards since 11/25. That's why I started sending emails. I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. It would have been nice to have some type of communication, at least. I have bought the book elsewhere now. I would like to have my money back, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Yet another reason I have decided not to use PayPal at all. I hate the fees and don't want to have to charge extra. I'll just take a check or money order thank you!

Hopefully it comes soon and wasn't lost. I had this happen to me once, and it took extra work on my part and an extra two weeks to get it resolved!

I have thought about forgoing paypal altogether, but paypal is nice because if someone pays me, I can have the money in my bank account in two days and their book in the mail the next day. I might have to think about it more.

Sorry you got taken advantage of. :grouphug:

Don't use personal or gift with people you don't trust. I always pick goods. If people ask me to do gift, I just add 50 cents (or whatever) to my payment to cover the fees. I won't do it.

Good idea!

Ugh. That stinks. I know there are a few people who will only accept personal payment because they don't want to pay the fees. As a buyer, if you really want the item, I think it's a better bet to pay via the other option and choose to pay the fee (it's an option as you check out) that way you have coverage without losing a seller.

Of course, it does make me wonder why some sellers will only accept personal payment. :glare:

I for one have stopped buying things used, it's just not worth it. RR has great prices when items go into their Bargain Bin so if there's something I'm looking for I check the site every other day or so. I've been very fortunate and able to get most of my materials for next year out of their Bargain Bin. I've saved a ton of money without the worry of being cheated out of my dh's hard earned money.

Yes that is what I liked too but for us not-even-part-time sellers it just isn't worth it.

I do, however, still use PayPal to print my shipping labels! :D

I've never used paypal to print labels. Sounds like a good option.

Ugh. That stinks. I know there are a few people who will only accept personal payment because they don't want to pay the fees. As a buyer, if you really want the item, I think it's a better bet to pay via the other option and choose to pay the fee (it's an option as you check out) that way you have coverage without losing a seller.

Of course, it does make me wonder why some sellers will only accept personal payment. :glare:

I for one have stopped buying things used, it's just not worth it. RR has great prices when items go into their Bargain Bin so if there's something I'm looking for I check the site every other day or so. I've been very fortunate and able to get most of my materials for next year out of their Bargain Bin. I've saved a ton of money without the worry of being cheated out of my dh's hard earned money.

I have considered not buying used anymore. It's almost not worth it unless you know who you are buying from. I have had mostly good experiences buying and selling on this board. I quit using Homeschool Classifieds though.

I always pick goods. If people ask me to do gift, I just add 50 cents (or whatever) to my payment to cover the fees. I won't do it.

Yup, I always mark the payment as Goods. I don't do Personal PayPal unless it really is money owed rather than a purchase of physical goods.

I go to this PayPal fee calculator and calculate the appropriate fee, add it to my total, and then send it off.

I let the seller know ahead of time that I will be doing this. But I will not use Personal PayPal for goods under any circumstances.

Another thing to consider...I went and found the thread where the item was listed, Nakia, and that WTM member just joined the forums in October 2010. Probably safer to go with someone who has been around a while longer.

Yes, though I know we have great folks joining the board all the time, it's safer to purchase from a board member who's been around awhile. Seen too many weird board things over the years. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

That stinks!

I don't buy/sell very much, but I always check to see how active the poster seems to be. An active poster has some internal motivation to stay above reproach if they want to continue posting here. Plus, most active posters here seem to be honest people to begin with.

I did have one incident last year maybe. I sold a used book in very good condition and the buyer claimed it was in poor condition. Either the mailman did it or someone was trying to get a refund kwim.

I hope your book ends up in the mail soon.

Were you the only person who bought something from that seller? If you search her previous For Sale posts, you might be able to find others who purchased things from her, and ask them if they received what they ordered.

Cat

Yes, this.

Something could have happened to her. I hate to think along those lines, but if she's a member here and has a good selling history...I can't imagine jeopardizing my reputation over $20.

Susan

I won't purchase from someone who will only accept check or M.O. And I wouldn't expect someone else to want to buy from me that way either... what if they never send the items, but have cashed your stuff?? And even though I *know* I wouldn't do that.... someone else I don't know won't.

Good idea!

There is actually a PayPal calculator for that :)

http://thefeecalculator.com/

Yup, I always mark the payment as Goods. I don't do Personal PayPal unless it really is money owed rather than a purchase of physical goods.

I go to this PayPal fee calculator and calculate the appropriate fee, add it to my total, and then send it off.

I let the seller know ahead of time that I will be doing this. But I will not use Personal PayPal for goods under any circumstances.

Thanks for linking that calculator!

Were you the only person who bought something from that seller? If you search her previous For Sale posts, you might be able to find others who purchased things from her, and ask them if they received what they ordered.

Cat

I tried that, but no one actually posted on her threads besides me. She just marked some items "Sold".

I'm so sorry! If I had WWE 3 I'd send it you you...

Jackie

That's sweet. I actually went ahead and got WWE 4 from a long time board member, and it's working out okay. I do wish I had level 3, but it's okay.

Another thing to consider...I went and found the thread where the item was listed, Nakia, and that WTM member just joined the forums in October 2010. Probably safer to go with someone who has been around a while longer.

You are exactly right! I learned that the hard way. I did look at her other posts, and everything seemed legit. I guess that's what I get for assuming. I'm just sooooo glad it was a small amount of money.

I won't purchase from someone who will only accept check or M.O. And I wouldn't expect someone else to want to buy from me that way either... what if they never send the items, but have cashed your stuff?? And even though I *know* I wouldn't do that.... someone else I don't know won't.

Nakia, I'm sorry, that just bites. I do hope you hear something from her.

I know some people only accept check or MO because I know many people that have had bad experiences with paypal and won't use them. I don't send personal checks for curriculum purchases but I would have no problem sending a MO. Then again, I don't purchase many things used and I usually only buy from posters I recognize.

Yes, though I know we have great folks joining the board all the time, it's safer to purchase from a board member who's been around awhile. Seen too many weird board things over the years. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

Lesson learned, for sure!

That stinks!

I don't buy/sell very much, but I always check to see how active the poster seems to be. An active poster has some internal motivation to stay above reproach if they want to continue posting here. Plus, most active posters here seem to be honest people to begin with.

I did have one incident last year maybe. I sold a used book in very good condition and the buyer claimed it was in poor condition. Either the mailman did it or someone was trying to get a refund kwim.

I hope your book ends up in the mail soon.

I doubt it. I'm over it now. I'm just chalking it up to experience. :)

Yes, this.

Something could have happened to her. I hate to think along those lines, but if she's a member here and has a good selling history...I can't imagine jeopardizing my reputation over $20.

Susan

I hope and pray nothing bad happened to her. I would be happy to hear she is okay and sending out the book, but I don't expect it.

Thanks!

I won't use it for people I don't know. I would use it for you. :D

Ditto!

Nakia, I'm sorry, that just bites. I do hope you hear something from her.

I know some people only accept check or MO because I know many people that have had bad experiences with paypal and won't use them. I don't send personal checks for curriculum purchases but I would have no problem sending a MO. Then again, I don't purchase many things used and I usually only buy from posters I recognize.

You are definitely doing it the wise way. I am not going to purchase from anyone I don't recognize again. And I might just plan to use our tax money to buy our curriculum new for next fall. I love buying used because I know the people here need to sell to buy, you know? And so do I. But even small things like this leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Ah that stinks, I'm sorry! I guess I am pretty trusting, too, I used that option last time I purchased something when I was asked to. I also had someone trust ME with it the last time I sold something. Neither were very expensive items, but it does make sense NOT to use that option unless you know the person in real life/personally and know you can trust them! It's good to know, for future reference, that there's an option where you can pay an extra nominal fee to cover their fees, so you don't have to use an option that could come back to bite you later!

Maybe you should start a new thread, entitled, "Who else bought something from *insert name here*"

I remember when you posted a message to let her know you were looking for her, but maybe asking specifically about her would help you connect with others who bought something from her.

Cat

Thanks for the warning. I will not use personal in the future. I am fine with paying a fee but I wouldn't be willing to send some stranger a payment without any sort of guarantee. I use paypal ALL the time with merchants but I have always been very hesitant to buy used items from individuals online.

I wouldn't be willing to send someone my check, people can "clean" checks and then use them. That happened to my husband's checking account when they stole a bill from our mailbox.

I wouldn't send someone a MOs either. There are absolutely NO guarantees with MOs. I am sure people might trust people they have seen posting for awhile but I have seen some real veteran posters on boards scam people. It's sad.

That is scary... I almost bought some things from her, too! I am not sure why I didn't, I don't see anything from her in my PM box, but I may have deleted it when the deal went through.

Sorry you had to experience that!

I'm glad you didn't!!

Ah that stinks, I'm sorry! I guess I am pretty trusting, too, I used that option last time I purchased something when I was asked to. I also had someone trust ME with it the last time I sold something. Neither were very expensive items, but it does make sense NOT to use that option unless you know the person in real life/personally and know you can trust them! It's good to know, for future reference, that there's an option where you can pay an extra nominal fee to cover their fees, so you don't have to use an option that could come back to bite you later!

I hate it when things like this happen and make me less trusting. It's a fine line between trusting and naive!

I just want to say as a seller, I always factored my fees into the price I posted. As a buyer, I always asked so I could add that in there too.

Good idea!

Maybe you should start a new thread, entitled, "Who else bought something from *insert name here*"

I remember when you posted a message to let her know you were looking for her, but maybe asking specifically about her would help you connect with others who bought something from her.

Cat

Maybe I should, but at this point, I want to just put it behind me and move on. I mostly posted this so that others could learn from my mistake.

Thanks for the warning. I will not use personal in the future. I am fine with paying a fee but I wouldn't be willing to send some stranger a payment without any sort of guarantee. I use paypal ALL the time with merchants but I have always been very hesitant to buy used items from individuals online.

I wouldn't be willing to send someone my check, people can "clean" checks and then use them. That happened to my husband's checking account when they stole a bill from our mailbox.

I wouldn't send someone a MOs either. There are absolutely NO guarantees with MOs. I am sure people might trust people they have seen posting for awhile but I have seen some real veteran posters on boards scam people. It's sad.

I don't send money orders, but I have sent checks. I didn't know someone could clean a check and use it. UGH!

I sometimes think this is throwing the baby out with the wash water.;)

I have done quite a lot of selling AND buying on these boards. I ask that a buyer use the personal tab on pp with the option of adding for the fees if they don't want to. One thing that you can and need to do is go to the sellers area where it tell the rating that others have given them. I have never gotten a neg. review. I try to always get the item in the mail the next day after pp has come through. If something comes up that I don't make that I send the buyer a note letting them know that it didn't get in the mail and why.

If you are not sure of a seller you can also have 'conversation' with them for a bit about the item before you commit to purchase. How quick do they respond to questions about the item. Do they answer the questions that you ask? You can tell this way also some times whether a seller is legit or not.

Hope your package comes quick and maybe you can resell or the person will refund if you send it back.:grouphug:

I sometimes think this is throwing the baby out with the wash water.;)

I agree. I've been buying and selling (mostly books) on ebay for years, and using paypal. I didn't realize that the personal option didn't give the protection that paying with fees gives. I'll remember that in the future.

I've only once ever had an issue. The price of the book I bought was too good to be true, so that should have been a clue, but I bought it anyway and payed with pp. The book never came, the seller never answered emails, so I finally opened a dispute with paypal. Within a few weeks, I had a full refund.

I'm sorry you had this problem Nakia. It's...I'm not sure of the right word, but it just makes you feel so let down and disappointed. It's more than just not getting your book. :grouphug: