Menu

Favorite CM "type" curriculum/website

Blessed with seven

Hi,

I have been reading and reading on different websites about Charlotte Mason. I love the "idea" behind it but my mind is overwhelmed. What is your favorite CM website or curriculum, which ones do you NOT like? I have been looking at Ambleside Online, Simply Charlotte Mason, Lindafay's website, Higher Up and Further In and her blog Charlotte Mason Help etc..

Just curious....

Thanks!

Kim

Have you read Karen Andreola's book A Charlotte Mason Companion? Sonja, of Simply Charlotte Mason (my personal favorite CM site), has a one-day seminar on DVD w/workbook that I found full of information. I have seen it f/s on the boards here for reasonable prices. Here is another site...http://www.pennygardner.com/index.html

And another...http://charlottemasoneducation.wordpress.com/

Other blogs you may find helpful:

http://jimmiescollage.com/

http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/

:001_smile:

Some of those mentioned already are more of a "blend" of Charlotte Mason and other methods... not true CM-only. We use My Father's World, which is also a "blend": http://www.mfwbooks.com/ One of the books that MFW sells (but your library may have it) is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley, which I highly recommend. She explains the CM methods from a biblical perspective pretty well. (Not sure if you're looking for biblical perspective... mentioning it just in case, though.)

Ambleside is one of the best sites for both a curriculum and lots of information about CM, including an online version of her own writings. I think Karen Andreola makes her sound more laid-back than she actually was, though I like Karen's books. They're more of the "fireside chat" style. You don't get that "fireside chat" feel from Miss Mason's own writings, which are found here: http://www.amblesideonline.org/New.shtml

Notice it says on that page:

But this curriculum is only one tool and was never intended to replace a parent's understanding of the principles behind a CM education, what its goals are, how it works. Curriculum is only part of the picture. Without the understanding of Charlotte Mason's vision, even a curriculum like Ambleside Online won't give your children a CM education.

I think a lot of moms looking for a CM-style education for their kids get too caught up in the curriculum "package" of books before they understand how Miss Mason actually did things, and most of the CM-style curriculum providers on the market today stray pretty far from what SHE would've actually done.

That said, we do live in a different culture than Miss Mason did, so adaptations are going to be necessary for most families. Most of us don't have nannies and housekeepers, for example, and we have many, MANY more book choices available to us today than Miss Mason did. We also have many other excellent resources available such as the internet, libraries, good educational videos, reference materials such as World Book on CD or Usborne books, and more. Plus, Miss Mason was teaching a *classroom*. We're teaching our own children at home, sometimes with several children, sometimes with LD's, sometimes with strict state homeschooling laws/testing requirements, sometimes with interfering relatives and sometimes with husbands who don't understand and don't cooperate, and usually without nannies or housekeepers or cooks. Thus, adaptations are often necessary. ;)

(P.S. I like Linda Faye's site a lot, as well as her "Charlotte Mason Help" site.)

Guest Cindie2dds
Hi,

I have been reading and reading on different websites about Charlotte Mason. I love the "idea" behind it but my mind is overwhelmed. What is your favorite CM website or curriculum, which ones do you NOT like? I have been looking at Ambleside Online, Simply Charlotte Mason, Lindafay's website, Higher Up and Further In and her blog Charlotte Mason Help etc..

Just curious....

Thanks!

Kim

I have learned so much over the last couple of years from Ambleside and SCM, and I currently use both for our history, literature and nature studies. Ambleside has amazing yahoo groups, I would check those out as well.

Guest Cindie2dds
I really like Sandi Queen's materials. Her website has some good info as well. We have used her Language Lessons, Pictures in Cursive, Learning How to Learn, and several readers.

:iagree:

library may have it) is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley, which I highly recommend. She explains the CM methods from a biblical perspective pretty well. (Not sure if you're looking for biblical perspective... mentioning it just in case, though.)

I forgot to mention, I have owned that book for years and got it out this evening and am going to read it!!!

I LOVE the SCM website but for some reason I just seem to complicate this thing.

I really WANTED HOD to work and it might still, I just felt sort of well...having LA, Math and everything scheduled was just too much because my kids are at different "levels" in different subjects. I really would love everything "scheduled" as far as History, Science, read a louds, art, picture study, but not math and LA as we seem to be all over the place and I don't think I would do well doing several different levels of any of the curriculum.

[i LOVE the SCM website but for some reason I just seem to complicate this thing.

I really WANTED HOD to work and it might still, I just felt sort of well...having LA, Math and everything scheduled was just too much because my kids are at different "levels" in different subjects. I really would love everything "scheduled" as far as History, Science, read a louds, art, picture study, but not math and LA as we seem to be all over the place and I don't think I would do well doing several different levels of any of the curriculum.

It sounds like MFW might be a good fit for you, then, as this is exactly how they do it. They have *recommendations* for math and LA, and there are instructions in the front of the manuals for how to use those resources (if you choose to use their recommendations). But on the weekly grid, they just have a place for "English", "Math, "Spelling", etc. for you to fill in.

What works for me is to photocopy that weekly grid, one for each child, and then that grid goes into their own 3-ring binders which serve as our portfolio of work required for the state. Then on each child's own copy of the grid, I can write in their individualized assignments for the 3 R's. I find it to be very flexible for the 3 R's, and even for the other subjects as there's an extensive booklist in the back of the manuals for extra reading and educational videos that are listed by topic and week # for you to choose from. Everything you see in the packages on the website is "scheduled", but the titles on the booklist in the back of the TM are optional, as time and interest allow. There are books and videos for a wide range of reading levels and genres, so lots of variety there for multiple ages.

[i really WANTED HOD to work and it might still, I just felt sort of well...having LA, Math and everything scheduled was just too much because my kids are at different "levels" in different subjects. I really would love everything "scheduled" as far as History, Science, read a louds, art, picture study, but not math and LA as we seem to be all over the place and I don't think I would do well doing several different levels of any of the curriculum.

We are doing Beyond right now and we follow the schedule for the "Learning through History" and Storytime, but we absolutely not! follow the left hand. We forge ahead or mule to the same lesson a little longer, according to the needs of the children.

Yes, it is scheduled, but that doesn't mean I am bound to follow everything as scheduled. It is not set on stone. Math, LA, etc progression is sooo personal, nobody can schedule it, not even you for your own children. You might make a tentative plan, but it is them, the children that dictate the pace. And that's why we homeschool - so we can set the page.

I wouldn't let this minor part influence your decision. HOD is a wonderful program... at least for our family

Edited by 4littleones
mispelling

Why do I feel like I keep posting this?

Mater Amabilis is another CM curriculum. Its two creators based it on the structure used by the PNEU schools run by Mason herself. It has US and UK based options. While Ambleside Online uses many items that are free because they are out of copyright, that means (by definition) they are old, and Simply Charlotte Mason uses many items that they have (re)printed themselves and are in some cases hard to obtain except by purchasing. Mater Amabilis uses more modern resources than Ambleside (from what I can tell). It is Catholic, but I don't think this makes it inappropriate for non-Catholics, except for the religious education component. I think it's an option worth considering.

Hi,

Just curious....

Thanks!

Kim

I like Ambleside Online best. There is just so much info on that site, enough to confidently teach the CM way. Not a watered down version, or a "for homeschooler" version, but a pure CM, using her writings. I do not follow a pure CM because I feel that as "modern" as she was in her time, that is how "Modern" she would be in our time using technology and the available literature of our day. I have enjoyed and gleaned some from other CM sites, but I always come back to AO.

Faithe

Mater Amabilis is another CM curriculum. Its two creators based it on the structure used by the PNEU schools run by Mason herself. It has US and UK based options. While Ambleside Online uses many items that are free because they are out of copyright, that means (by definition) they are old, and Simply Charlotte Mason uses many items that they have (re)printed themselves and are in some cases hard to obtain except by purchasing. Mater Amabilis uses more modern resources than Ambleside (from what I can tell). It is Catholic, but I don't think this makes it inappropriate for non-Catholics, except for the religious education component. I think it's an option worth considering.

WOW!! they have really updated this site since the last time I saw it.

Faithe

Yes, it is scheduled, but that doesn't mean I am bound to follow everything as scheduled. It is not set on stone. Math, LA, etc progression is sooo personal, nobody can schedule it, not even you for your own children. You might make a tentative plan, but it is them, the children that dictate the pace. And that's why we homeschool - so we can set the page.

I wouldn't let this minor part influence your decision. HOD is a wonderful program... at least for our family

See...I wanted to do Preparing but we were not at the LA and Math level but definitely at the comprehension/reading levels so...I also wanted to do the Bible study part of it, maybe I should just buy the guide and forget about the Math/LA side of it and follow their readings.

The Childlight USA site has great information. They have some free newsletters to read and audio lectures in which to listen. Also, the blog has many great entries/articles. I believe they are working on a curriculum, but I don't know when it will be ready.

Ambleside Online has all of Charlotte Mason's books online and are free to read. I believe they have rewritten them with a modern update.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html'>http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html'>http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html'>http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html

It sounds tedious, but I can't say how much reading her original works have helped me understand this better. I've read that starting with vol. 6 is a great way to get started.

I also like reading the PNEU articles on AO.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/ModernEnglish.html

Hope this helps!:001_smile:

The Childlight USA site has great information. They have some free newsletters to read and audio lectures in which to listen. Also, the blog has many great entries/articles. I believe they are working on a curriculum, but I don't know when it will be ready.

Not for at least another year, unfortunately.

I haven't seen childlight or milestones, but having read the original CM series the simply charlotte site stays the closest to the original approach, even more so than Karen's material. It does an excellent job (the best IMHO) of providing ideas for teaching in an authentically cm way. On some sites CM is either watered down or a mutation of the original CM.

Also see Higher Up and Further Up http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/ no longer updated, but a source for true CM.

Edited by love2read

I haven't seen childlight or milestones, but having read the original CM series the simply charlotte site stays the closest to the original approach, even more so than Karen's material. It does an excellent job (the best IMHO) of providing ideas for teaching in an authentically cm way. On some sites CM is either watered down or a mutation of the original CM.

Also see Higher Up and Further Up http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/ no longer updated, but a source for true CM.

I'm not sure agree with the bolded part. SCM doesn't do world and "home country" history simultaneously like CM did, and her book choices aren't nearly as challenging as what CM would've used. I think that both Ambleside and Linda Faye's curriculum plans do a better job of this.

I don't feel competent to judge who stays the closest to CM herself (indeed, over her life, she did change in some respects), but I found this insight by Mater Amabilis interesting --

A Charlotte Mason Education

As we read and discussed Charlotte Mason style education we became aware that there is some confusion over what a Charlotte Mason education means. “CM” homeschooling is portrayed as everything from a relaxed, almost unschooling style, to a formal, structured method. We think this confusion can be resolved by dividing the different styles into two categories: CM structured and CM influenced education.

• A Charlotte Mason structured education attempts to follow the methodology set out in CM’s own writings as closely as possible. Children follow a set, formal course of study, using a highly efficient method which allows children to cover a broad range of subjects in the course of a short school day.
  • A Charlotte Mason influenced education gleans ideas such as living books, narration, short lessons and nature study from CM and applies them to a range of different styles of education –“ a particular curriculum, literature based education, relaxed homeschooling or even unschooling.

Mater Amabilis presents a structured approach but the ideas here can be used or adapted as part of any CM influenced education.

They refered back to PNEU material in developing their curriculum.

Guest Cindie2dds
I'm not sure agree with the bolded part. SCM doesn't do world and "home country" history simultaneously like CM did, and her book choices aren't nearly as challenging as what CM would've used. I think that both Ambleside and Linda Faye's curriculum plans do a better job of this.

Actually SCM Module 5 and 6 will have American and world history together.

Actually SCM Module 5 and 6 will have American and world history together.

Yes, and MFW does this, too, when they hit America in the chronological cycle. Obviously, the rest of the world didn't just stop when America began. ;) But I believe Miss Mason did it from the beginning, or pretty close to the beginning.

:iagree:

I was just looking at a book on Amazon called When Children Love to Learn and it looks like some of the people from Childlight, at least one, had contributed to that book, anyone read it?

Kim

I think this book is one of the best CM books. It is written for CM schools but you can very easily adapt it for homeschooling. I found this book to be very inspirational and encouraging.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I like living books curriculum website. I am on week 12 of the foundation year. I supplement but like the content and pace.

Learning all I can about this one is my project for the week. Looking through the site briefly has me a little bit excited because it has the subjects and history sequence I want and I already have a number of the books. Trying not to get TOO excited though since this is the first I've heard of it. :tongue_smilie:

I like Ambleside Online best. There is just so much info on that site, enough to confidently teach the CM way. Not a watered down version, or a "for homeschooler" version, but a pure CM, using her writings. I do not follow a pure CM because I feel that as "modern" as she was in her time, that is how "Modern" she would be in our time using technology and the available literature of our day. I have enjoyed and gleaned some from other CM sites, but I always come back to AO.

Faithe

I have to agree. I left AO for awhile and now I'm wondering why. We're returning to AO and I'm really looking forward to it. (I'm not a CM purist, either.)

I think this book is one of the best CM books. It is written for CM schools but you can very easily adapt it for homeschooling. I found this book to be very inspirational and encouraging.

:iagree: Excellent guide, and common sense. Also talks about different resources one can use for today's CM school - CM doesn't mean antiquated books (even though I do enjoy a few myself), but modern living books are just as good, or better sometimes. CM was a modern, progressive woman.

I think that every curriculum falls short of really replicating CM because if you really want to do CM a big part of what she did involved learning other languages. From what I remember (and it has been a couple of years since I've really read CM stuff) in her schools you learned French, German, Latin, Greek and conversational Italian. I think that learning all those languages has a huge impact on one's education. Most people tend to focus on the history it seems to me. Ambleside does anyway and reading classic lit but even with AO or Mater Amabilis or SCM (I think, I'm not as familiar with that one) there is no where near the focus on foreign languages.

I think that every curriculum falls short of really replicating CM because if you really want to do CM a big part of what she did involved learning other languages. From what I remember (and it has been a couple of years since I've really read CM stuff) in her schools you learned French, German, Latin, Greek and conversational Italian. I think that learning all those languages has a huge impact on one's education. Most people tend to focus on the history it seems to me. Ambleside does anyway and reading classic lit but even with AO or Mater Amabilis or SCM (I think, I'm not as familiar with that one) there is no where near the focus on foreign languages.

This is true! A CM education is a very well rounded education.... not primarily history-centered. She was just as particular about all her other subjects as she was history. Even as SWB and other classical educators would likely consider it too "laid back" or somehow "inadequate", Miss Mason was very purposeful in how she did language arts (not to mention the foreign languages!)

Oh, I wasn't referring to material used but actually showing the parent how to carry out the general approach with all of it's different dimensions as mentioned in the original series.

Oh, I wasn't referring to material used but actually showing the parent how to carry out the general approach with all of it's different dimensions as mentioned in the original series.

I wish ANY of the CM type groups would discuss teaching a child how to read. I don't think the page or two from CM's books is quite enough information.

Years ago, I went to a seminar for CM schools once and they showed how to teach reading the CM way. Basically, she took a nursery rhyme which the child would find familiar (I think the example they used was the one that goes: I see the moon and the moon sees me.), then she taught recognition of each word. The phonics rules were taught as the words were learned. There is a really old method for teaching reading that is similar, not using nursery rhymes but the combination of literature based and phonics. It is Mary Pecci's a Teaching Method for Every Child. The people at the conference really liked her approach.

Sometimes when switching or just reading up on another theory your brain goes into overload. It just is so overwhelming, I totally get it. AO scared me away the first few times I looked at it. Just keep going back and rereading. Look at the scheduling.

I loved FOR THE CHILDREN'S SAKE, and A CHARLOTTE MASON COMPANION.

I also have CMs set, which are invaluable, I think. It's one thing to hear a good translation, it's another to get it from the horse's mouth. :001_smile:

Edited by justamouse

What an awesome website!

I have been looking at this website for the past three days since reading this. Thank you. I think I looked at it once some time back, and either I wasn't ready for it, the website was different, or I wasn't able to get past the Catholic element. I see now that it is quite easy to not use that component and there is so much there that is valuable. I am definitely going to incorporate some of this into what we already do. Very helpful. And thanks again not only for mentioning this, but saying all that you did about it. That is what had me take a second look.

I'm glad some of you have found the Mater Amabilis website helpful. I too had seen it several years ago and did nothing with it, and then I "rediscovered" it, and realized they'd redone their website. It looks like in the past few days, it's changed again and a new one is forthcoming. There is an associated Yahoo group as well.