Menu

Favorite CM "type" curriculum/website

Blessed with seven

I'm not sure agree with the bolded part. SCM doesn't do world and "home country" history simultaneously like CM did, and her book choices aren't nearly as challenging as what CM would've used. I think that both Ambleside and Linda Faye's curriculum plans do a better job of this.

If one does history in chronological order, American history cannot be done alongside world history. America is a young country, and England's history goes much farther back. That is the reasoning behind the SCM suggestions. That is why American and World history are done together in modules 5 and 6.

I'm glad some of you have found the Mater Amabilis website helpful. I too had seen it several years ago and did nothing with it, and then I "rediscovered" it, and realized they'd redone their website. It looks like in the past few days, it's changed again and a new one is forthcoming. There is an associated Yahoo group as well.

whoa--they redid the website since I looked at it this afternoon!

If one does history in chronological order, American history cannot be done alongside world history. America is a young country, and England's history goes much farther back. That is the reasoning behind the SCM suggestions. That is why American and World history are done together in modules 5 and 6.

Yes, I know that (the bolded part). But even as old as England is, it doesn't go back to the ancients. Didn't CM do British history every year from the beginning, while simultaneously doing World? IOW, not "lining them up", per se, but doing each as its own subject.

I'm still struggling with the Mater Amabilis site. I see that in most of the year plans they have yr.1 and yr.2 book suggestions, i'm wondering, would I use the yr.1 suggestions the first time through the level and the yr.2 suggestions the next time? I did sign up for the yahoo group and i'll probably start asking questions there, but thought I might get an answer here faster. Thanks

I'm still struggling with the Mater Amabilis site. I see that in most of the year plans they have yr.1 and yr.2 book suggestions, i'm wondering, would I use the yr.1 suggestions the first time through the level and the yr.2 suggestions the next time? I did sign up for the yahoo group and i'll probably start asking questions there, but thought I might get an answer here faster. Thanks

The years are set up like original CM and PNEU schools.

If you look, for example, 1A is to be done in one year. But 1B is for second and third grades. It is meant to be 2 years. Then "year 2" is for 4th and 5th grades, also done over 2 years.

The years are set up like original CM and PNEU schools.

If you look, for example, 1A is to be done in one year. But 1B is for second and third grades. It is meant to be 2 years. Then "year 2" is for 4th and 5th grades, also done over 2 years.

Thank you so much! Now that I know what to do i'm going to take another look at it.

I agree with you that teaching how to read is underexplained by most CM people. Anyway...

I don't think this is exactly CM ish but in a way, it's not entirely NOT CM-ish. And that's

Let's Read: A Linguistic Approach by Cynthia A. Barnhart and Robert K. Barnhart

(Look inside at Google Books -- a huge amount of the book is there)

I think the emphasis on rules in context is an interesting one.

I am using it at present to make sure I haven't missed any important reading rules, esp the irregular ones. I think this book has a fairly thorough articulation of various spelling patterns.

It's a big fat book with instructions for the teacher alternated with reading sections (in larger print) for the student.

Edited by stripe

If you are using the CM way of learning what do you use for teaching reading? I seem to have complicated that quite a bit ...I really need something that is planned out to use daily w/ review, that just helps me a lot.

Kim

My Father's World:

Kindergarten http://www.mfwbooks.com/k.htm

1st grade http://www.mfwbooks.com/1st.htm

or Reading Made Easy: http://www.valeriebendt.com/ReadingMadeEasy.aspx

OPGTR, but wish I had went with WRTR

:iagree: We did not use the Spalding methods to teach reading but are using it now for spelling and oh what gaps I have found! Just since starting it a few months ago all of my girls spelling. writing and reading has greatly improved. Knowing those phonograms is soooooooooooo important! If I had it to do over again I would only use Spalding!

:iagree: We did not use the Spalding methods to teach reading but are using it now for spelling and oh what gaps I have found! Just since starting it a few months ago all of my girls spelling. writing and reading has greatly improved. Knowing those phonograms is soooooooooooo important! If I had it to do over again I would only use Spalding!

We'll be starting spelling with it after our Christmas break!!

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'm ignorant so please be gracious :D

I was thinking Spalding wasn't very CMish since it teaches the phonograms up front *apart* from reading whereas I was under the impression that CM taught *in the context* of reading.

Can anyone clarify for me?

I was thinking Spalding wasn't very CMish since it teaches the phonograms up front *apart* from reading whereas I was under the impression that CM taught *in the context* of reading.

No, I think you're right. ;)

What Spalding approach are you using?

I am using Saxon Phonics (probably not very CM'ish either but...) I am feeling guilty for using it but love the TE manual!

I do not like certain aspects, like the use of the Schwa and would love more of a Spell to Write and Read approach for spelling BUT..could not use SWR, too overwhelming for my already heavily taxed brain :001_smile:

Spalding IMO is not CM. That's how people end up eclectic. LA is the area that I don't line up with CM. You can, however, you Charlotte's priciples with WRTR/SWR i.e. short lessons, good literature, etc.

Here's the the way someone (perhaps someone who visits these boards???) explained how she taught reading the CM way. It really isn't rocket science! LOL! The trick is, you the mom, need to know your basic phonics rules (though if you have a handy-dandy reference you can look up stuff that is puzzling you.). Then you just teach the rules as you encounter them when the child is reading short, easy and familiar things like nursery rhymes.

Here's someone else's way of doing it. I think it is clever to include the child's own narration (dictated to the mom of course) to help them learn to read.

Guest RecumbentHeart
No, I think you're right. ;)

Ha! What an anomaly. :lol:

Ooo, while I'm here, would Beechick's "A Home Start in Reading" be considered somewhat CMish?

Edited by RecumbentHeart

Ooo, while I'm here, would Beechick's "A Home Start in Reading" be considered somewhat CMish?

RB and CM have a lot in common, but RB, who of course is still alive today, is attuned to modern day needs for state testing and other 21st century American education requirements, and therefore uses some different techniques than CM did. For example, RB uses more hands-on methods and games and whatnot than CM did, but they both believe(d) in waiting until later to formally teach grammar and composition, as well as using real books instead of basal readers.

I do like RB's books on the 3 R's for ideas, but generally speaking, I probably prefer CM.

Charlotte Mason is more of a philosphy than anything and the 6 volume series is indispensible. Since she advocates a 'non-textbook' type of curriculum, you can do what works for your children. We have enjoyed doing Nature Study, Composer Study, and Picture Study in addition to our 'core'. For the core we like MUS, Trailguide to Learning (American History as we are in the Explorers series), SOTW with activity guide and some of the Veritas Press cards with activities (World History), and Shurley for grammar (a gentler approach rather than the whole curriculum). We are currently using Phonetic Zoo for spelling and vocab, but I don't like it. I am more inclined to do vocab and spelling in context. There are others, but that is most of it. Simply Charlotte Mason and ChildLight USA are highly recommended. You should go to the ChildLight conferences if you can. They are wonderful and extremely helpful. They have a series of courses on all of the main concepts as well as much more. I hope this helps a little.

There are some nice articles on the Childlight blog too. There was one a while back about CM with special needs kids and another one on "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" that were both particularly interesting, I thought.

http://childlightusa.wordpress.com/

If you join their mailing list, you get an email every time they post anything on the blog.

http://www.childlightusa.org/index.php

also has audio lectures you can listen to and the newsletter (The Review) available to read.