Menu

It is COLD! Cn we post our favorite soup, soup recipe, or soup go alongs?

My family is on such a crazy schedule with Heating calls (dh is a tech,) college kids, swim prctices, I like to make a crock pot of soup and leave it to simmer overnight into the next day, and the kids can eat at will. I make a ton of whole wheat roll dough each weekend and put it in the fridge to rise, take out a ball of it, roll, rise, bake....whoala...fresh bread.

Our favorite soup lately is beef tortellini...

Toss into crockpot

stew meat, jar of marinara sauce, onions, frozen peas, carrots, (other veggies or a can of black or pinto beans, frozen tortellini....season to taste....cook a long time on low until meat is tender....enjoy!

Can you share your favorites?

Faithe (who is desparately trying to keep warm.)

We eat a lot of soup!

Turkey and Black Bean Soup

Cook dried black beans (about 1 1/2 cup dry) in a slow cooker with a bit of salt until mostly done. Then add around 2 quarts of turkey stock, 1-2 cups diced cooked turkey, a can of diced tomatoes with juice, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/2 cup each of diced onions, celery and carrots (you can saute these first if you prefer). Add salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder to taste. Cook until everything is tender.

Clean out the Fridge soup

No amounts here, because it's easily adjustable

Leftover meat (roast, chicken, ground meat, all work well)

Chicken stock

Onions, carrots and celery, diced.

1 can tomato sauce

1 can diced tomatoes

Any veggie you like or have. (if raw cook longer, if cooked, add in after everything else is pretty well cooked)

I always like to add a little sliced okra (3/4 cup or so) and cook it until it falls apart in the soup. It adds a lot of flavor, and if you cook it long enough, no one realizes it's there.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Mexican Soup.

diced cooked chicken, or ground meat, cooked

tomato sauce

chicken broth

corn

black beans

onions

canned chopped chilies

Season with cumin, salt and pepper.

White bean and ham soup. Throw 1lb presoaked white beans, a ham bone or other source of ham flavor, 6 cups of chicken stock or broth, a bay leaf, and basil, salt, and pepper to taste in a crockpot. Cook on low at least 6 hours. Top finished soup with diced tomato or black olives, or fresh herbs, or...whatever. Serve with crusty bread. Delicious!

We had bacon corn chowder

1 lb bacon

3-4 stalks of celery

1 large onion

cook together until bacon is done, drain fat

add

4 diced potatoes

3 cups of water

cook until potatoes are done

add

3 cans creamed corn

3 cups of milk

cook until heated through

Most of my kids love this. I have one child who hates corn, so this is not his favorite. You can try to make it a bit healthier by adding 1 or 2 cans of beans (white would be best).

My favorites are

Veggie Beef soup (I don't have an actual recipe).

In crockpot, I put 1-2 pounds of browned stew beef, chopped onion, 2 boxes of beef broth, and about 1 box water. I cook the beef (overnight) and in the morning add chopped potatoes, canned tomatoes and shredded cabbage. Then, about an hour before I am ready to eat, I add some frozen mixed veggies. You could adapt to add any veggies you like.

I also like:

Sweet potato and corn chowder http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-potato-corn-chowder-soup-with-bacon-398541

and

Chicken tortilla soup that I make with chicken broth, onions, rotel tomatoes, black beans and roasted corn. Top with tortilla strips and a little sour cream.

Sorry but I don't use a lot of recipes for these.

DS4's very most favorite is carrot soup:

chop an onion, a few cloves garlic, some fresh parsley if you've got it, any other herbs you want such as basil in summer esp, a couple stalks of celery, and 6-8 carrots

saute onion and garlic, then add carrots and celery and parsley

pour in 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable broth

chop and toss in 2-4 potatoes or 2 sweet potatoes

cook away and season to taste

smooth in processor, blender, or with immersion blender

stir in milk or cream

in winter I stir in nutmeg or cinnamon or cloves

Spinach-Tortellini Soup

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth

4 cups water

2 extra-large vegetable bouillon cubes

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, unthawed

2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained

1 garlic clove, minced

2 (9-ounce) packages refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.

Add spinach, stewed tomatoes, and garlic, and return mixture to a boil.

Stir in tortellini, and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle each serving evenly with shredded Parmesan cheese.

Yield: 16 cups

=========================

I use 6 cups of chicken broth instead of the broth + water + bouillon cubes. I also use a quart of home canned tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes. Last time I made it I blended the tomatoes in the food processor before adding them b/c dd always ends up leaving large chunks of tomatoes in her bowl. Sometimes I use meat tortellini instead of cheese or a combination of meat & cheese. If I'm only using cheese tortellini sometimes I add shredded chicken to the soup to make it more filling.

My kids LOVE this soup & are horrified that anyone would NOT like spinach. ;)

My favorite soup is taco soup: brown 2 lbs of ground beef; add 1/2 cup of taco seasoning mix, a can each of 2 different kind of beans, corn and tomato sauce. Simmer it all together. It can be ready in 20-30 minutes or can simmer longer (a crockpot would be better for longer)

that sounds YUMMY!!!! Does it matter what taco seasoning I use? How much tomato sauce do you use and if I use a crockpot would I cook low or high and for how long? I have got to try this it sounds wonderful. I love these threads This is where I learned about pizza lasagna

that sounds YUMMY!!!! Does it matter what taco seasoning I use? How much tomato sauce do you use and if I use a crockpot would I cook low or high and for how long? I have got to try this it sounds wonderful. I love these threads This is where I learned about pizza lasagna

This is the recipe we use for taco soup. I usually double it, though, and we eat it with Scoops tortilla chips. Yummmmmmmmmy.

I brown the beef with the taco seasoning - while that's cooking, I heat the beans/veggies/ranch dressing and bring them to a light boil in a big stockpot - then add in the beef mixture when it's ready.

I don't drain any of the canned goods - it all goes directly into the pot.

1-2 pounds ground beef

1 package taco seasoning mix

1 can mild chili beans

1 can Ranch Style beans

1 can whole kernel corn

1 can pinto beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (Rotel)

1 package ranch salad dressing mix

DS4's very most favorite is carrot soup:

chop an onion, a few cloves garlic, some fresh parsley if you've got it, any other herbs you want such as basil in summer esp, a couple stalks of celery, and 6-8 carrots

saute onion and garlic, then add carrots and celery and parsley

pour in 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable broth

chop and toss in 2-4 potatoes or 2 sweet potatoes

cook away and season to taste

smooth in processor, blender, or with immersion blender

stir in milk or cream

in winter I stir in nutmeg or cinnamon or cloves

DH makes one similar to this, except he sautes sliced fresh ginger with the onion and garlic (and doesn't put in parsley).

This is my absolute favorite soup - Delicious Potato and Ham Soup and I like to serve it with Beer Bread.

Beer Bread:

1 - 12oz can/bottle of light colored beer

3 C flour

1 Tbs. baking powder

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/3 C. sugar

1/4 C. melted butter

Mix dry ingredients together. Stir in beer with a spoon - batter is very sticky. Pour into 9x5 greased bread pan. Pour melted butter on top of batter. Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes, until golden. The outsides are crunchy while the inside is soft.

Another soup I like to make is Chili:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 diced onion

3 cloves minced garlic

2 cans petite diced tomatoes

1 can rotel tomatoes

1 8oz can tomato sauce

1 C. water

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

2 T. chili powder

1 T. cumin

salt/pepper to taste

Brown the beef with the onion and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients & simmer for at least 30 hour. After I brown the beef, I normally put everything in a crock pot (except the tomato sauce) and let it cook on low all day. The longer it cooks, the better it is. I add the tomato sauce if it looks like it is too thick. I serve this with shredded cheese & jalopeno peppers on top with corn bread. The best corn bread recipe is this one.

Our favorites are:

Potato Soup

I just boil quartered or so potatoes till about half done. Add chopped onion and broccoli and cook till done. Drain of water and add milk return to a bare simmer, add salt and pepper. done. We have shredded cheese, bacon sprinkles, chopped green onion or chive, diced tomatoes, and butter on the table and everyone tops as desired.

Itallian poached egg soup

We saw a recipe for this soup and it was so close to our own pasta sauce recipe with broth that we just adapted it. I put on a batch of carmelized onions and a pot of sauce (minced garlic in eeoo till fragrant, add home canned tomatoes, cook down, add basil. if you use boughten tomatoes, you may need more juice). When the onions are carmelized I add water or broth to make it soupy and add it to the sauce. Bring to a simmer. Crack in an egg per person and poach till done. spoon into bowls and top with parmesan and serve with bread.

Lentil soup

carmelize onions. add minced garlic, saute. add sliced carrots and celery and lentils; saute. add tomatoes and bring to hard simmer, add frozen spinach. cook till everything is done. we like this one served with a wedge of campo, those bright green olives from the olive bar at WF, and crusty bread.

A recent fave is Northern Bean and Peppered Bacon soup. My dh makes our own sausage and bacon. He came up with an awesome peppered bacon and that I've been putting in soups lately. You can use any good thick cut smoky bacon.

Soak 2 cups beans overnight. Sauté 1/2 pound of diced peppered bacon until not quite crisp. Add small chopped onion, 2 stalks chopped celery, 2 peeled and chopped carrots and sauté until vegetables begin to slightly brown a bit. Combine beans and vegetable/bacon mixture in a crockpot along with enough water or chicken stock to cover. Season with 1 bay leaf, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of crushed thyme. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 9 hours. Season to taste with salt about a half hour before serving.