Menu

Chi hair straightener

I can't say... I know when they used one on my daughter in the salon, her hair looked and felt great! But after we bought a $30 Revlon one, and she used it for 2 weeks (with Chi spray on protectant), we could see the difference.

My son, though, just bought a pretty purple one for his gf on BF for $79.99 at Kohls. So you might want to look around... surely there is a deal to be had somewhere ;)

I have tried them ALL and Chi wins hands down. it is THE best. i have super thick, curly hair and it rocks. My sis snagged mine at Kohls with a coupon for $80 for me. I have had it I think for 2 or 3 years. It is all that!!

Edited by kwickimom
typo as usual

Chi is the ONLY straightener we use in this house!! Just a little FYI....be very careful with it....they break. This is our second Chi. The first one made it for a year. The second one is coming up on it's first year anniversary and we're crossing our fingers. We got a huge discount by purchasing it through our stylist. She only charged us $79 for the $130 model.

you could also try a Croc straightener - just as expensive, but in my research it came out the (very slight) winner over the Chi - I purchased ours a couple of years ago and have had no troubles with it. My hairdresser recommended it. It has the variable temperatures and I see Amazon has a bunch of them in the $80 price range. And yeah, HUGE difference over the cheaper ones sold in drugstores.

Now I'm looking at curling wands (the ones without the clamp - we borrowed one and....amazing!) and wondering the same thing - are the cheap ones just as good? But that's a post for another thread...totally not thread-jacking :lol: Nope, not me. Not what I'm doing here!

Chi is the ONLY straightener we use in this house!! Just a little FYI....be very careful with it....they break. This is our second Chi. The first one made it for a year. The second one is coming up on it's first year anniversary and we're crossing our fingers. We got a huge discount by purchasing it through our stylist. She only charged us $79 for the $130 model.

Hmm. I was thinking about getting a Chi. I would think that for the price they would last longer. My $30 straightener is going on 5 years now.

Another dd that is a cosmetologist...she uses a CHI...loves it. We had it at the house before she went to work and I miss, miss, miss it! We use two cheap Conair ones (alternate to keep them hot) that we have had for years...but they are nothing like the Chi. They work well for my dd that has naturally straight hair and take me a while longer to do mine. But...right now I'm not coming off the extra $$ for one. (Actually hoping my dd will get me one for Christmas:D)

I noticed that Bed, Bath and Beyond has them for $99 with a 20% off coupon on the flyer.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My stylist gave me one for cost too. I have had mine for 6 years now and I love it. My hair is fine and ringlet curly.

What I want to know is why so many people are trying so hard to straighten their hair when I have spent my entire life trying to curl mine.

I have some cowlicks that I straighten out and it helps with the frizzies. If I had real curl, then I wouldn't be straightening.

I bought one with a big coupon from a JC Penney salon when they had a sale. I think I got it for $40. Unfortunately when it is for a Christmas present you can't wait until you get the best deal. But really look around you might find some good deal.

I've not tried others, but I like the Chi.

Good hunting.

I have had two CHIs...they are wonderful, but I did have issues with their durability. I switched to the FHI (by Farouk). I have the 1 3/4 inch one which I greatly prefer to the 1 inch because you can get done so much sooner. I had my last FHI for seven years til it bit the dust. I just got a new one on Amazon for about $85. I think they're worth every penny...and I'm very cheap!

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I wouldn't straighten mine if my curls looked just a little less like a really bad 80's perm!

Exactly. Now if my hair looked like this, I would not straighten it:

celebcurlyhairstyles06.jpg

a great one that I got from Sally Beauty. It cost between $40 and $50. It's a cermanic, I believe Jilbere. It works very well. It works for me and for my oldest dd, whose hair is thick and very wavy (loose, frizzy curls). It gets very hot, which is the secret. I've had it for 3 years without any problems, and it's been dropped and knocked more times than I can count. I would not spend the money for a Chi, but then again, I am cheap and try hard to find quality alternatives.

A) Yes, the Chi is WONDERFUL. I have very thick wavy hair and nothing else ever worked well to straighten it. :D

B) I see your daughter is only 13 - something to think about: burn/fire risk. We're talking 400 degrees here. My dd14 likes to use mine but I only allow her to do it in our room (she can't take it to hers) and with me there. This thing can burn you like THAT if it comes in contact with your skin, and forgetting to turn it off can be very dangerous. (That's not to say that leaving any hot thing is safe, but these aren't even supposed to sit on your dresser - you buy a special little silicone mat for them to rest upon. HOT HOT HOT.)

B) I see your daughter is only 13 - something to think about: burn/fire risk. We're talking 400 degrees here. My dd14 likes to use mine but I only allow her to do it in our room (she can't take it to hers) and with me there. This thing can burn you like THAT if it comes in contact with your skin, and forgetting to turn it off can be very dangerous. (That's not to say that leaving any hot thing is safe, but these aren't even supposed to sit on your dresser - you buy a special little silicone mat for them to rest upon. HOT HOT HOT.)

Actually, it's for my 16 yo daughter. Do both not show up? Now you've got me worried. Must go check...

Actually, it's for my 16 yo daughter. Do both not show up? Now you've got me worried. Must go check...

Oops! I see her there, sorry! I think she was probably there all along because I know I saw the car. Somehow I just didn't see her! :laugh:

There's certainly quite a difference in maturity/etc between a 13 year old and a 16 year old, so nevermind what I said so much. ;)

I had a Chi for a short time that stopped working. I was getting my hair done and the gal used a Paul Mitchell one and said she liked them best. She sold me one at her cost and it was still expensive but i do like it a lot. I like that it has a dial to adjust the temperature. I use it with more heat for me but I have used it on my daughter's hair a couple of times on a much lower setting.

I love mine. :)

I've had it for 5 years or so. It is good as new, being used probably 5 days a month on average. I have more hair than anyone else I've ever met. (About 2-3x average thickness -- can't get a standard elastic to more than double around a pony tail. . . it is typically lower back length. . .) It's wavy & tangles easily. . . I can smooth/straighten it in less than 10 min.

But, I haven't used any other, so maybe the cheaper ones are all the same?

A) Yes, the Chi is WONDERFUL. I have very thick wavy hair and nothing else ever worked well to straighten it. :D

:iagree: When I first purchased a Chi I would not let my daughter use it. I did her hair for her. She uses it now, but she is 15. I regularly remind her to unplug it when she is done with it. When we leave the house I ask her if it is unplugged. I can see that thing burning the house down if left on.

"- you buy a special little silicone mat for them to rest upon. HOT HOT HOT." I've never heard of silicone mats. Where did you find one ?:bigear:

Edited by Miss Sherry