Menu

When stop playing with dolls

What age did your girls stop playing with dolls? I'm asking because my dd11 and dd12 still get out their little dollhouse and one day they were at the park talking about it. A girl who looked about 12 overheard them and told her friends quite loudly, "Look! Those babies play with dolls!"

Edited by Littlemother
I should probably tell the full story.

My daughter was about 13, but even at 14 and 15 she would still dress her fave doll/change her clothes. ;)

One thing I have always liked about homeschooling is that my kids were never pressured to give up playing with toys. Otter is 12 and he still loves Matchbox cars.

Heck, I even still like toys (especially Playmobil)...(shhh) :D

My sister played with hers until she was 12. I think it just all depends on your kids and what they have been exposed to. My DD8 had kids in ps last year that didnt play with any toys and they all had laptops, cell phones, got their hair dyed, had facebook pages, and talked about boys. So, it may be "babyish" according to some kids who IMO are into teenage things they shouldnt be into at that age. I think that a lot of kids are growing up too fast.

I have to admit that I always loved dollhouses and I find many excuses to play with the kids so I can play with the cool dollhouse and I am 32 :D

The last time I played with dolls I was 13. I would have quit at 12, but I had a friend that was a year younger than me and she still wanted to play so I did. The next year she quit playing with dolls. We were playing with Barbie dolls. I had baby dolls, but I don't remember playing with them very much. My 7yr old dd doesn't play with baby dolls. She never has. She does occasionally play with Barbies, but her preferred dolls are Polly Pocket type dolls.

My ds's play with action figures way more than my dd ever plays with dolls!:lol:

I would say on average, girls quit between ages 11-13.

My 8 and 10 year olds play with baby dolls. They often bring them along when we go out to eat or shopping, car seats, diaper bags, and all. My twelve year old still plays barbies, Polly pocket, and loving family with her sisters. The doll houses (loving family) are the most popular with them. They will spend hours at a time playing. I love to listen to them playing while I clean. It is the most peaceful time of the day.

I have two dds 12yo. One doesn't "play" with dolls anymore, but she still wants another AG doll for Christmas - she likes to dress them up and have them on her bed.

Her twin sister still actively plays with dolls; her almost 10-yo sister is my biggest dolly girl and probably won't let her older sister stop playing for quite some time. They both want two new dolls for Christmas (!) I told them no more than one each... We're running out of space here with all these dolls!:tongue_smilie:

My best friend's dd is 14 and even goes to public school, and her AG dolls are still all tucked into their own beds in her room. I'm not sure how much she actually gets them out and plays with them anymore, but when my dds come over, I know they get a workout.

My 11yo daughter doesn't really play with dolls except for the very rare occasion. She loves her American Girl Doll. She just doesn't do the whole dress up pretend play with it anymore. But I think it has NOTHING to do with her age and everything to do with the fact that she's rather be outside playing pirates with her little brother.

She'll also set up her victorian doll house but then doesn't play with it. She just wants to decorate. :lol:

She still plays though which is way more than her peers are doing. Most of the girls her age just sit around and talk, talk, talk, talk.... It drives her crazy. "Mom, I can't even understand what they are talking about. Who cares about those dumb groups & ipods." (Must be some music group they were talking about?)

She still plays though which is way more than her peers are doing. Most of the girls her age just sit around and talk, talk, talk, talk.... It drives her crazy. "Mom, I can't even understand what they are talking about. Who cares about those dumb groups & ipods." (Must be some music group they were talking about?)

Our dds would get on very well. This talking about pop groups and sharing tunes and such drives my girls nuts. I recently had to put in a call to the mom of one of my dd9's friends and ask if she could please ask her dd to find any topic of conversation other than Taylor Swift. :glare: My dd was worried if she complained her friend wouldn't like her anymore, but it was driving her batty.