Menu

Do you have any store Credit Cards, if so which ones....

We do not have any cc debt, but I do use our Discover card to earn cash back. Recently I got a Meijer CC because it saves .05/gallon of gas, saving at least $2 every time we fill our van. I just had something print out for Kroger that I could get $25.00 in free groceries. This is tempting. I don't shop Kroger as much as Meijer, but do spend money there. So do you take advantage of these kinds of things. Also Meijer has days where if you use your Meijer CC, you get certain % off.

Kohl's is my favorite. I get AWESOME coupons that I wouldn't get had I not had a credit card. I always wait for the 30% coupons if I need something big, but I don't go shopping just for a great buy because of those coupons. I collect them all weekly and discard them when they expire. I collect them because I can't tell you how many times I've thrown them out, only to have someone come home to tell me they need this or that. So now I just get all the coupons every week, most of them are thrown away.

My family likes Kohls--and having the card has saved us HUNDREDS... I've received several 30% off everything coupons this year--just as the kids needed new shoes (and they carry Nike and NewBalance and Sketchers!!).

I log into my account and pay the bill as soon as I get home from the store... every 'bill' I've received from them has had a zero balance.

I did resist this for a long time on the matter of principle... BUT DH is even happy that I caved last Christmas...

Sears, Macys, Nordstrom. I've had the Nordstrom for years. It used to be that you could use it anywhere and you earned points toward a $20 shopping certificate. So I'd use the card to pay my college tuition, pay it off over the course of the quarter and get some new shoes for ds at Nordstrom. Now, I'm pretty sure you can only use the card in-store to earn those certificates, so the Nordstrom card doesn't get much play.

The Macys card basically only gets used for towels. I have a weakness for Ralph Lauren towels. I like the way they feel and I like the way they hold up. So every 3-4 years or so I'll go in and buy $4-500 worth of towels and take a couple of months to pay it off. The old towels get used for dh, for showering at work (he plays sports during lunch). If we're cash-poor and our coffee maker breaks down, we'll go there to get a new coffee maker and pay that off at the end of the month. That's about it.

The Sears card is fairly new. We bought a new washer and dryer in the spring for our new laundry room. Sears offered the get a card to charge them/0% interest to pay them off in 6 months, so we did that.

Dh and I hate shopping enough that our store cards never really have much activity. It's the AmEx Blue that we use a lot--for buying things online. And that, unfortunately, almost never gets paid off. The dh is an online shopaholic.

No, because store cards almost universally have 29% interest. We did have an Old Navy card for the longest time to take advantage of sales and cash back events but we found that we hadn't used it in so long it wasn't worth it.

I honestly can't imagine a store card that would do us any good. An Amazon card would be great but would definitely lead to trouble. ;)

Maurices is the only store card I have. My 12yo and 17yo love that store and with the card I get 20%-30% off everything coupons every month. I just make sure to pay off the card whenever we get stuff there.

http://www.maurices.com/home/index.jsp

I'm on the Kohl's email list to get coupons there. My 17yo sometimes finds things there (she buys her pants there, but hardly anything else). My other kids just don't do well there.

Amazon - we pay it off every month, and accumulate reward points that we can redeem for stuff like Amazon certificates or even plain ol' cash. We always choose cash. :)

Not a credit card, but I'm loyal to Stop & Shop grocery store because I get 10-60 cents off every gallon of gas when I need to fill up. Their points are good at their own gas stations as well as at participating Shell stations.

I used to have a JC Penny's card, but since we went to the no credit system, I cut it up and paid it off. I liked it for the 'credit only' coupons and sales. The $ off coupons and the % off coupons can be mixed and matched along with their sales! I remember my HUUUUGE receipts of clearanced stuff, w/ my coupons!!! I would pay less than $100 for $2,000 worth of stuff... But, those days are over... lol

Receipt would look like this:

Item

Regular Price

-% clearance sale

-% coupon

-$ off coupon (they prorated it for all the items)

=Total price paid for item

This would continue for all the items, if you bought 10 items, your receipt would be 2 feet long!

At the bottom of the receipt would be the total you SAVED

Ahhh, those were the days.. I miss it! lol

Just kohl's. We pay it off almost immediately after a shopping trip.

The deals are just too good to pass up. I wait for a 30% coupon + sale + kohl's cash deal and then stock up on shoes/socks/basics for the family. I just used a 30% off on a garmin gps for dh and got kohl's cash on top of that.

I'm pretty thrifty and don't bite on cc deals but the kohl's deals are just too good for my family to pass up.

The meijer one has tempted me for a while, but I only have one bank-sponsored credit card that I only use for online purchases and for big purchases that our bank account may not cover at that moment so we need a few days to transfer funds over before paying it off. (Major car repairs, major appliance purchases, etc)

I just can't stomach paying off credit card bills. I know it's silly, but opening an envelop only to see a big amount due makes me want to puke. Smaller doses on a debit card is much more palatable to me. Yup, it's weird.

I recently learned something that everyone should know! You can pay off the store credit card right there at the register. You can literally stand at the counter, pay with your store credit card, and then take out your debit card and pay it off right there! I thought this was amazing since you can get great coupons with the store credit cards, but I never had one since I don't really believe in credit cards. (only use one for things like making hotel reservations).

I discovered this when shopping with my cousin who had offered me a 15% off coupon at JCPenny. I had purchased a ton of stuff (post-pregnancy....none of my clothes fit), but realized that the coupon was only good if you used your JCPenny cc. I paid for the stuff and we met up with my aunt and she asked if we remembered to use the coupon. We told her I didn't have a card, etc. She offered to put it on hers, but I didn't want to- I didn't have cash to pay her back right then and I didn't want to have to remember to mail it to her later. This convo took place in front of a JCPenny cashier- she told us we could return everything, ring it up again, put it on my aunt's card and then I could pay it off with my debit card right there in the store! (If I had been the cashier, it would have been really hard for me to not roll my eyes at the crazy lot of us....but she couldn't have been nicer!) So that's what we did! Now I'm going to be signing up for store cards- getting the coupons and then paying it off right at the counter! Anyway....I might be the only person that didn't realize you could do this, but thought I'd share in case someone found it helpful!

Well, I think I'm going to have to get a Kohl's card! I have an Amazon cc and we put everything on that and then pay it off every month. I usually get enough gift cards with their rewards program to buy most of my SL books, some other curriculum and some birthday/Christmas gifts.

Lisa