Menu

The Worse Thing I saw on Halloween Night

Nor do I, so we can go toe to toe ;).

good thing it ain't nose to nose ~ that beak looks sharp. :p

eta: i'm not going any further with it because the thread will just go all to mud. i wasn't speaking to every single post - and maybe i shouldn't have spoken at all. i was (am) tired & i've just seen so bloody much of the "how could they" stuff lately, IRL and online. little straw, big fuzzy camel. [are camels fuzzy? or are they more like...hairy?]

Edited by Gwenhwyfar

good thing it ain't nose to nose ~ that beak looks sharp. :p

eta: i'm not going any further with it because the thread will just go all to mud. i wasn't speaking to every single post - and maybe i shouldn't have spoken at all. i was (am) tired & i've just seen so bloody much of the "how could they" stuff lately, IRL and online. little straw, big fuzzy camel. [are camels fuzzy? or are they more like...hairy?]

:lol:

I get that. My post came from the girls we saw last night to a FB friend's Halloween pictures, which included her newly 13 year old daughter wearing her costume. A french maid uniform :001_huh:. Is a french maid uniform not universally accepted as going for a sexy look? It just makes me sad to see girls looking for *that* kind of attention at 13-14 years :(.

Truce :001_smile:.

We went to a church event too (not our church), and I was shocked at the number of adult women who were barely dressed. It's as if they picked out the sexiest costumes they could find, that barely covered the right places. Additionally, there were a LOT of demon/scary costumes too. It was completely different than the year before, when everyone was dressed more modestly.

This was our first time at this church, and from what the other members said, it's the first time we had so many 'guests.'

Ours sounds the same as yours. I was pretty surprised.

There *are* gray areas, but there's also a lot of black and white, too.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Honestly,

I am not trying to argue with you but I really disagree with you. If there are no standards, no right and wrong in this world, if it is up to each individual to decided what is right and what is wrong then we are in serious trouble.

What if someone decides it is OK to murder? What if a person decides it is OK to burn down your house? What if someone decides it is OK to kidnap your child? What if someone decides to have a 100 miles an hour joyride down the road during trick or treating?

Those MAY be the extremes, but I can think of many MINOR issues that can really damage lives. There is a right and wrong and it is not decided by man.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm so glad each Halloween to be living somewhere where fall is properly cold. Kind of puts the kibosh on too many trashy costumes--at least the ones where the wearer would be half nekkid. :D

Clearly some people don't differentiate between adult costume party get-up and one that would be okay to wear trick or treating with the kids.

All the scary stuff is why we don't trick or treat. Some of it is so gross and disturbing that it's just not worth it to me. I don't even like going to the stores a lot this time of year. I'd rather go and let me kids pick out the candy they want and try to avoid the halloween decoration/costume aisles.

Our church does offer a harvest festival where they can dress up, but no scary costumes are allowed. It was a lot of fun.

I was dressed as a French maid a year or two ago. I was a pregnant nun this year, and I'm thinking of dressing up as a Playboy Bunny maybe for Easter - if I get my figure back after delivering in late Jan/early Feb LOL I wonder how many eyebrows would be raised here. I'm an adult, so no child, so I hope that is okay here (not that I REALLY care :)). No one lifted one eyebrow in my area. We are laid-back here. I really don't like to judge other people. I really don't think that's our job.

Edited by sagira

just because something is wrong to YOU does not automatically make it wrong to someone else.

why can't people just live and let live?

[yes there are sometimes extremes that need to be dealt with - that is the exception rather than the rule.]

The key point is live and let live. Apparently, some people think it's humerous to traumatize children. And not quit. How about we let 4 yr olds live without nightmares? And their parents.

How many pervs live in your neighborhood? Do you know which houses they live in? Do you know if that guy sitting in the car at the curb just dropped off a carful of ToTers or is watching the 14 yr old dressed as a slut? I think the point is that as parents, we are to keep our children SAFE. And running the streets dressed a hooker does NOT keep them safe. Even if it just once a year. To me, it's like giving a kid a lighter. And hoping they don't get burned. jmho

The worst thing I saw was adults in scary, gory costumes trying to scare little kids. :confused: I've never understood why that's fun.

But my outspoken, ham of a dd took care of that. Her brothers looked uncertain, and I was waiting for one of them to get upset and was about to intervene, when she goes up to the guy and says "I know you're not real, I can see your tennies under your costume. You're not really scary, you know."

They then told us our kids got the bravest kids of the night award. So what does that say- they were intentionally trying to scare as many kids as possible?

The key point is live and let live. Apparently, some people think it's humerous to traumatize children. And not quit. How about we let 4 yr olds live without nightmares? And their parents.

How many pervs live in your neighborhood? Do you know which houses they live in? Do you know if that guy sitting in the car at the curb just dropped off a carful of ToTers or is watching the 14 yr old dressed as a slut? I think the point is that as parents, we are to keep our children SAFE. And running the streets dressed a hooker does NOT keep them safe. Even if it just once a year. To me, it's like giving a kid a lighter. And hoping they don't get burned. jmho

:iagree:I'll stand with you on this one.

We didn't run across anything disturbing to dd this year. I twas cold with a chance of snow so most people were pretty well covered.

I was dressed as a French maid a year or two ago. I was a pregnant nun this year, and I'm thinking of dressing up as a Playboy Bunny maybe for Easter - if I get my figure back after delivering in late Jan/early Feb LOL I wonder how many eyebrows would be raised here. I'm an adult, so no child, so I hope that is okay here (not that I REALLY care :)). No one lifted one eyebrow in my area. We are laid-back here. I really don't like to judge other people. I really don't think that's our job.

Yes, you're an adult. I've dressed in plenty of eyebrow raising costumes myself. I couldn't care less (hat-tip, David Mitchell ;)) what an adult dresses up as for Halloween. When CHILDREN dress in garter stockings and bustiers, I can't help but wonder what type of attention they're seeking and WHY. I'm not sure how that's judging :confused:. As a parent, I wouldn't want my young daughter objectified in such a way.

Yes, that would have raised my eyebrows quite a bit. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to think of any positive reason why you would wear a costume like this unless you were deliberately trying to provoke and offend. My sweet 13yo dd feels that God may be calling her to the religious life as a nun. You say you don't care, but would you really want to introduce this sick idea into her head? I just don't get it. :confused:

I hate to sound like one of those people who tries to top everyone but I think I can honestly say I saw the MOST disturbing costumes this year.

A man and a woman dressed as Jackie O. and JFK... AFTER the assassination...you can fill in your own details but yeah...wow...I can't even think of a word to describe that kind of poor taste.

Yes, that would have raised my eyebrows quite a bit. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to think of any positive reason why you would wear a costume like this unless you were deliberately trying to provoke and offend. My sweet 13yo dd feels that God may be calling her to the religious life as a nun. You say you don't care, but would you really want to introduce this sick idea into her head? I just don't get it. :confused:

Well, I AM actually pregnant, so both dh and I thought it was funny. I got plenty of laughs, and lots of people waving at me while I was driving. People like nuns. My mom, who went to Catholic school with nuns 60+ years ago and revered her nun teachers, laughed so hard when I told her what my costume was. My mom is normally quite proper too. She just knew it was funny, and she knows dh and I have a good sense of humor.

As for the French maid, none of the mainstream (think Party City) are very revealing.

I do agree with a previous poster with not having children dressed in revealing clothing. I did mention in an earlier post that I was quite taken aback by a stripper police officer costume on an 11-year-old, who obviously didn't have the body or maturity to be wearing that. I agree with that. My daughter will NOT be wearing that at that age. No way.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant people passing judgment on what adults wear if there's no flashing or other types of nudity.

Hee! Awesome. I always wanted to do the Freudian Slip-Meg Ryan int he slip at the beginning of When Harry Met Sally?

I have a friend whom we affectionately call Sister ___. She has a nun habit and annually does something outrageous with it.

I'm not quite certain this is inappropriate but this was a first for me...

Our group got to a house 3 blocks away with two 40something guys sitting out front handing out candy. They were on the opposite side of this black cat arch. Anyhow, the one guy tossed candy into my son's bag then looked up at me and said "And over here we have adult beverages." Huh? :001_huh: Sure enough they had one of those big Gatorade dispensers (from sports games) dispensing margaritas.

(Hey we're in FL, it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right???)

Our group got to a house 3 blocks away with two 40something guys sitting out front handing out candy. They were on the opposite side of this black cat arch. Anyhow, the one guy tossed candy into my son's bag then looked up at me and said "And over here we have adult beverages." Huh? :001_huh: Sure enough they had one of those big Gatorade dispensers (from sports games) dispensing margaritas.

There was a house in our neighborhood where a bunch of people were gathered in the driveway, handing out candy. They had the baseball game on a tv on a table, candy for the kids, and adult beverages for the adults who came by. It just seemed like they were being neighborly and trying to meet more people in the area.

There was a house in our neighborhood where a bunch of people were gathered in the driveway, handing out candy. They had the baseball game on a tv on a table, candy for the kids, and adult beverages for the adults who came by. It just seemed like they were being neighborly and trying to meet more people in the area.

That's the way our street was. Just fun.

The worst thing I saw was a 4 year old brat in a dragon costume screaming that Halloween wasn't fun until someone agreed to CARRY her door to door......oh wait...that was my kid.

Oh my goodness! That was so funny! I too was carrying a 4 year old spider from door to door toward the end. Fortunately he wasn't yet screaming. :)

I hate to sound like one of those people who tries to top everyone but I think I can honestly say I saw the MOST disturbing costumes this year.

A man and a woman dressed as Jackie O. and JFK... AFTER the assassination...you can fill in your own details but yeah...wow...I can't even think of a word to describe that kind of poor taste.

That is just wrong. Really. Yes...wrong. I don't have any big love for JFK or anything. That's just awful and NOT funny.

Children dressed like s3x craving adults is also wrong and disturbing. I'm so glad to say our small amount of ToT didn't bring up anything disturbing. Unlike our old neighborhood...ugh!

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant people passing judgment on what adults wear if there's no flashing or other types of nudity.

Well, in my case it was a church function, and while they were covered enough for swimming, I thought a skirt that just made it past their underwear while they're standing straight up was a bit too revealing. Especially with the Mom and her three daughters all dressed alike.

Okay, I probably don't really want to know, but why would you dress up like the playboy bunny for Easter?

Cool! This happens in our neighborhood too. It's kind of fun. Of course, I stay home and pass out our candy and sip my wine. I'm too cheap to pass out drinks! But others hand them out.

I agree that there are some things that just should not be done - I saw a 7/8 year old boy dressed as a pimp. :confused: But, what one person considers "sexy" may be fine to another. I'm not talking fake booKs and fishnets on a 6 year old but to some people tank-top style straps and a short skirt is sexy. That would make my 3 year olds tinkerbell costume too sexy. ;) Of course, she was wearing tights and thermals under it but still.... To an adult a French maid costume is meant to be sexy. To a child, it's just a maid costume (I even met one 8 year old who wore it because she thought it was funny since she never did any cleaning).

I'm sure over the years my oldest has worn things that some would consider too much. There was nothing overt or meant to be sexy but I know some people would disagree with her choices (and my decision to let her wear them). Such is life.

. I meant people passing judgment on what adults wear if there's no flashing or other types of nudity.

What an adult chooses to wear around other adults is one thing. When it's a church function, being billed as a "family event", that's an entirely different matter.

This particular church uses their Trunk or Treat event as an outreach to the community. I would think having adult women dressed as sexy school girls might not be a good way to bring people into their church.

Additionally, we took our young boys to the church for candy because my 7 y/o is pretty sensitive to scary things. He had to face people dressed as demons and gory serial killers in order to get candy.

It was just surprising to see stuff like that a church event.

We probably won't be going back next year.

Well, in my case it was a church function, and while they were covered enough for swimming, I thought a skirt that just made it past their underwear while they're standing straight up was a bit too revealing. Especially with the Mom and her three daughters all dressed alike.

:iagree:

What an adult chooses to wear around other adults is one thing. When it's a church function, being billed as a "family event", that's an entirely different matter.

This particular church uses their Trunk or Treat event as an outreach to the community. I would think having adult women dressed as sexy school girls might not be a good way to bring people into their church.

Additionally, we took our young boys to the church for candy because my 7 y/o is pretty sensitive to scary things. He had to face people dressed as demons and gory serial killers in order to get candy.

It was just surprising to see stuff like that a church event.

We probably won't be going back next year.

Do we go to church together??? That's what we did (Trunk or Treating) and we ran into all the same issues ;)