Menu

The Worse Thing I saw on Halloween Night

Tonight - a father was dressed up in a hula girl outfit. It was blow up thing - with a big chest with a small bikini top and the blow up even had a butt crack showing over the grass skirt in back. He was walking his four year old girl around from house to house. I guess he thought it was funny, but it was really rude. To think of all the little kids that saw him in it ... yikes!

The worse thing I saw was when I walked my 4 year old son up to a house for candy and a kid about 12 (with a VERY scary mask on) started chasing him around the yard. That was bad enough but when I walked up to my son to get him out of there because he was obviously terrified an ADULT (with a VERY scary mask on) started to head towards him but I cut in between. You would have thought THAT was a clue to back off, but NO they didn't. I almost hit them with my son's lightsaber.

This is really why we don't usually DO Halloween, but I wanted my son to go out and have fun trick or treating at least once.

Idiots.

Edited by Michelle My Bell

We had a Grim Reaper who wouldn't go out of character even when he knew he was starting to freak my dds out. UGH! Luckily, a little girl ran up and called him Daddy so we started laughing. It could have been worse because I could see my dh start walking toward him. I don't know why some adults find it so funny to truly scare little kids.:001_huh:

Is this an add on thread?

The worse thing we saw on Halloween was a group of teen girls wearing tutus, bustiers, and garters trick or treating :glare:. Seriously, I'm no prude, but it was incomprehensible to me that a parent allowed them to leave the house dressed like that or that they *wanted* to dress like that.

Very similar thing here except a naughty nurse and some other practically nothing outfit! They were probably 14 years old. I am trying to imagine what daddy says as they are walking out the door?!

The worse thing we saw on Halloween was a group of teen girls wearing tutus, bustiers, and garters trick or treating :glare:. Seriously, I'm no prude, but it was incomprehensible to me that a parent allowed them to leave the house dressed like that or that they *wanted* to dress like that.

My dh's work has a trick-or-treat through the cubicles. We saw a girl that was maybe 11? - just pre-puberty. Patterned stockings (think fishnet-y but not quite), red strapless leotardish thing, red gloves to the elbows and a long platinum blonde wig, lots of makeup. I asked my dh, "What is she? Stripper in training??" Nope - Lady Gaga. :blink: Well, she looked like the fomer (although one could argue, what's the difference...) I cannot imagine letting my dd wear that. Don't care if it's a costume. Don't care if she doesn't have b00ks yet, it was smutty. And her underwear was showing.

My youngest dd was so scared of the 'scary' Halloween decorations and costumes, that she wasn't brave enough to go Trick or Treating until was 11 years old....for the first time! And honestly, we didn't push her. There is a lot of scary and inappropriate stuff that goes on with adults perpetuating it, unfortunately.

I didn't see anything inappropriate this year. Of course, it was 48 degrees when Trick or Treat started, and it just got colder as the evening wore on. Everyone was VERY well covered up. :D Thumbs Up for cold weather. :thumbup::thumbup:

I didn't see anything inappropriate this year. Of course, it was 48 degrees when Trick or Treat started, and it just got colder as the evening wore on. Everyone was VERY well covered up. :D Thumbs Up for cold weather. :thumbup::thumbup:

It was almost exactly the same temps here with our barely covered teens! They had to be freezing!

This year was the first year I ever saw something truly disturbing. There was a boy about ten who had been scared by someone dressed as Michael from Halloween. I am not talking about a little startled or skittish but screaming your head off in total horror. I think this was due to the boy coming around a bush and running right into Michael who was standing on the other side of the bush. The group that he (the boy) was with, which seemed to be mostly family, was laughing at him and pushing him towards Michael. :001_huh: We showed up mid-scream so it took us a few minutes to figure out what was going on because there was a lot of running around, laughing, screaming and confusion. At first, we thought that Michael had overstepped his bounds and I was about ready to charge him (him being about a foot taller than me) when we realized that the little boy's family was the problem so my family and I formed a line between the boy and Michael with all of us facing Michael. This defused the situation because it allowed Michael to continue walking away while preventing this boy's family from pushing him towards something that was clearly terrifying him. I ended up walking away shaking my head and wondering what in the world those people were thinking. I don't know that I have ever actually seen anything like this before. I guarantee that that poor boy will be having nightmares for quite a while.

I, on the other hand, shook hands with the Headless Horseman, crawled into the bushes to get candy from the wolfman enjoyed a few other harmless interactions with likewise dressed people (which is very unusual for me, a good stiff drink before leaving helps ;) ). There were a lot more people (maybe even double) downtown this year than usual and it did seem that there were some roving groups of teens who were a little rowdier than normal and raising a little rukus just for the fun of it. Luckily, the area is closely monitored by policeman driving very slowly up and down every street and with some cops on foot with flash lights directing people on the sidewalks. Plus there are tons of parents and other adults dressed up and actively engaged. All children are attened by at least one adult and sometime several and every homeowner had several people sitting with them on the from porch handing out candy.

Edited by KidsHappen

Nothing disturbing tonight (as usual) but a bit macabre (which suits Halloween): a pregnant woman with a bloody little baby hand sticking out of her belly.. Muhahahaha..

The other day at ballet I did see an 11-year-old girl dressed as a sexy police officer. She didn't have the body for it, obviously.

YES! Dh said it was the St. Pauly brigade (what were ANY of those costumes supposed to be?!?).

And we were at a church shindig :glare: For the first time, I wanted to be the evil church person sending guests home to dress more appropriately. I didn't! But it was really hard to be nice and welcoming when you had Momma St.Pauly girl and her crowd of little St.Pauly girls. Little, like seven years old.

W.t.h.

YES! Dh said it was the St. Pauly brigade (what were ANY of those costumes supposed to be?!?).

And we were at a church shindig :glare: For the first time, I wanted to be the evil church person sending guests home to dress more appropriately. I didn't! But it was really hard to be nice and welcoming when you had Momma St.Pauly girl and her crowd of little St.Pauly girls. Little, like seven years old.

W.t.h.

We went to a church event too (not our church), and I was shocked at the number of adult women who were barely dressed. It's as if they picked out the sexiest costumes they could find, that barely covered the right places. Additionally, there were a LOT of demon/scary costumes too. It was completely different than the year before, when everyone was dressed more modestly.

In our neighborhood, most people sit out in their garages with their bowls of candy to hand out. We walked up to one with a couple of teens handing out the candy, one on the phone. Literally, as my kids walked up to him to say trick-or-treat, he dropped the F-bomb at least 3 times!!! :confused: Seriously dude, go inside if you are going to speak that way in front of little kids.

We had our share of 4 year olds dressed "sexy" too -- come on moms, not only is that inappropriate, it's rather disgusting. :ack2: The sexy devil with the belly shirt barely covering anything was the worse, I bet she was no more than 3 -- not to mention she must have been freezing. My kids had coats on under their costumes, gloves, and something over their ears. You just have to be creative when picking out costumes to be able to dress warmly.

omg can you believe what THOSE PEOPLE let their kids do? *gasp*

i would NEVER let my kids do THAT! i have MORALS! i'm such a better parent - yay me!

....do we really have to do this? :ack2:

Oh my goodness, someone on a internet forum has a different opinion than I do. *gasp*

How dare you judge me by feeling a different way than I do?! I will not tolerate your intolerance!

(Do we really have to do that?)

Oh my goodness, someone on a internet forum has a different opinion than I do. *gasp*

How dare you judge me by feeling a different way than I do?! I will not tolerate your intolerance!

whatever. :laugh:

i just call it like i see it.

eta: i just don't understand why a person can't be content with their own choices in raising their children without slamming the choices of others.

Edited by Gwenhwyfar

whatever. :laugh:

i just call it like i see it.

eta: i just don't understand why a person can't be content with their own choices in raising their children without slamming the choices of others.

Because believe it or not, there is a RIGHT and a WRONG. A lot of people in our world just want to think there are choices... WRONG.

Because believe it or not, there is a RIGHT and a WRONG. A lot of people in our world just want to think there are choices... WRONG.

just because something is wrong to YOU does not automatically make it wrong to someone else.

why can't people just live and let live?

[yes there are sometimes extremes that need to be dealt with - that is the exception rather than the rule.]

The worst thing I saw was a grub. It wasn't really very bad, but it was the worst thing I saw. :D We were planting daffodil and crocus bulbs that we should have planted earlier and dug the grub up. We saw no T or Ters and my son was actually a wonderful young man last night, so I can't include his attitude. We had a really nice night actually.

I didn't see anything, but my SIL was mouthing off something fierce! Dh tried engaging with her for a few minutes, but realized she was not in the mood to communicate, just spout off, so he shut up and let her "show her butt" as a friend would say. I proudly managed to keep my mouth closed and not hit her in the head with a candy filled plastic pumpkin.:D

just because something is wrong to YOU does not automatically make it wrong to someone else.

[yes there are sometimes extremes that need to be dealt with - that is the exception rather than the rule.]

Honestly,

I am not trying to argue with you but I really disagree with you. If there are no standards, no right and wrong in this world, if it is up to each individual to decided what is right and what is wrong then we are in serious trouble.

What if someone decides it is OK to murder? What if a person decides it is OK to burn down your house? What if someone decides it is OK to kidnap your child? What if someone decides to have a 100 miles an hour joyride down the road during trick or treating?

Those MAY be the extremes, but I can think of many MINOR issues that can really damage lives. There is a right and wrong and it is not decided by man.

Honestly,

I am not trying to argue with you but I really disagree with you. If there are no standards, no right and wrong in this world, if it is up to each individual to decided what is right and what is wrong then we are in serious trouble.

What if someone decides it is OK to murder? What if a person decides it is OK to burn down your house? What if someone decides it is OK to kidnap your child? What if someone decides to have a 100 miles an hour joyride down the road during trick or treating?

Those MAY be the extremes, but I can think of many MINOR issues that can really damage lives. There is a right and wrong and it is not decided by man.

:iagree:100%.

:lol::iagree: COMPLETELY!! I find that type of intolerance just..well, intolerable!! :lol:

omg can you believe what THOSE PEOPLE let their kids do? *gasp*

i would NEVER let my kids do THAT! i have MORALS! i'm such a better parent - yay me!

....do we really have to do this? :ack2:

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by my post :001_rolleyes:.

Sorry, but I wouldn't let my daughter wear something like that. Period. It doesn't make me any better parent than you or anyone else.

Aren't there enough 'mommy war' threads here without making another one?

Honestly,

people always toss out those sorts of examples ~ but that isn't what i was trying to address.

society as a whole has determined that certain things are not tolerated - such as murder.

i didn't say that there wasn't any right or wrong - i said that right and wrong as YOU see it may not be right and wrong as someone else sees it.

i'm talking about the smaller day to day things, the things that ARE very gray - parenting decisions in particular, as we're here on a parenting board. (homeschool specific, but it still fits that category and many parenting choices get discussed here)

i doubt we're gonna get anywhere with this though because i don't agree that 'right and wrong' are determined by the *christian religious text. ;)

*which i doubt even mentions halloween costumes. :p

anyway. forget it. it's been happening on parenting boards forever and i doubt it's gonna change anytime soon.

Oh, I forgot. There was a mother-son duo who looked as if they were in a farm accident. That was their get-up. It was really hard to look at. The boy was probably 7. They had white faces and blood all over them, all over their necks, just a real horror movie appearance. My little boys didn't see them. My 15yo was blown away that a mom would go out like that with their child.