Menu

I'm in a potato rut

Cut up a potato the size you would for potato salad. Spray pam on a baking dish, put in potatoes, onion powder, garlic, ginger, salt, & pepper. Cut up some butter and put pieces throughout the dish. Bake for 20-30 minutes on 375. Add some shredded cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese melts.

Colcannon (you know - the Irish potato and cabbage dish) is delish. Also, I just made rosemary garlic mashed potatoes (from an Italian Vegetarian cookbook) the other night that were more wonderful even than traditional mashed potatoes (:001_huh: I know!). Cut 4 lg potatoes, add a sprig of fresh rosemary and 4-5 garlic cloves to the water and boil til tender. Drain and discard the rosemary branch (most of the leaves should have fallen off, so if they didn't, pull them off and put them back in the pot). Mash them with 4-6 Tbs olive oil and salt them. Mmmm!

Oven fries:

Peel a bunch of huge Costco potatoes.

Cut into French fry shapes.

Toss with powdered Ranch salad dressing mix and lots of salt.

Spray two jelly roll pans with Pam, put the potatoes on them just one layer deep, and spray the potatoes, too.

Bake at 450 for 50 minutes, stopping every 20 or so to turn the potatoes and spray them again.

I have never had leftovers. No matter how many I make, they get eaten the same day.

sometimes we do this, as a french fry alternative:

melt some butter in a baking dish (enough to cover the bottom of the pan). cut potatoes in round slices, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and put in a single layer in the pan. Add salt and pepper and whatever other seasoning you want. Bake at 425, flipping once, until browned and cooked through (about 30 min, depending on potato thickness).

This is my new potato creation:

dice a potato or 2 and pan fry in a bit of oil with some onions and garlic. You could also add some shredded carrots if you want. Cover and cook until potatoes are nice and tender. Add spinach and saute until wilted. I like to add some sesame seeds. Serve with feta cheese or parmesan (or both).

I've also added some bacon to the frying mix. If I don't add sesame seeds, some croutons are good.

I cube them, simmer them in broth to just done, and serve them on the side with chive or butter or a grating of cheese.

This warm salad is fab. I use large cubes of yukon gold or yellow finns:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/salad-days/warm-potato-salad-with-lemon-and-chive-vinaigrette.html

Bubble and squeak. I love panfried cornmeal things, and I love it with B. sprouts. I was googling a recipe I'd posted, but couldn't find it, and this lady's came up instead. YUM:

http://www.nibbledish.com/people/tommy/recipes/bubble-and-squeak-cake

Edited by kalanamak
speeeeeellllllingggggg

Rosemary Potatoes:

Dice potatoes. Add as many whole (i prefer peeled) cloves of garlic as you want. Toss with a little oil and a lot of salt. Spread it over a cookie sheet. Lay a couple sprigs of rosemary on top and bake in a hot oven until the potatoes are tender and the garlic turns sweet (45 min-1hr or so).

Hash:

dice potatoes. chop and add any other leftover bits you have from cooking that week (like that half an onion, or couple stalks of celery, or that spinach that's starting to wilt, or leftover cooked chicken, or some leftover ham, or whatever is in your fridge that you want used up). Season with salt and any anything else and saute in a little oil till everything is tender. My kids like it with ketchup. I like it with hot sauce.

Rice :D

That's what I came on to post! (Seriously.)

My parents were good cooks, but one big and deliberate change I made when it came to my own household was to make rice our go-to side rather than potatoes. I don't hate 'em, I just had so much of them growing up.

(Though my husband and I had a bit of a shock when we learned that our firstborn, as a toddler, knew how to say "rice", "pasta", and "tortilla" but not "bread". We might have gone a little overboard in rebelling against the starches of our youth.)

Often in our home, we dice up potatoes and put 'em in a pan pre-heated with oil. Add garlic salt & pepper. Fry them 'til golden or however you like them. I push the taters to the side of the skillet and add sausage, SPAM, or leftover hamburger meat. Cook. Push them aside and then scramble up some eggs (for the 3 of us, it is about 4 eggs) in the open part of the skillet. Once the eggs are 3/4 done (do not overcook) -- scramble them into the potatoes and meat mixture.

Heat up flour tortillas. Add some sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, and guacamole. Breakfast burritos! (We also do this for dinner, btw. :D)

I have such a TERRIFIC recipe with potatoes. We love it. No one can eat just one.

Potato tostadas!

Take leftover chicken and shred or cube it up.

Boil potatoes, cut into chunks... I like small-medium chunks, but not tiny.

Thaw a pkg of frozen spinach.

Drain potatoes.

Put all ingredients into a large bowl and stir with a couple globs of mayo.

Add a sprinkling of salt.

Spread onto tostada shells and sprinkle on hot sauce, as desired.

Sounded odd to me when dh made it for me when we were dating. But, it is simply delicious. We eat is warm. We eat it cold. It's just plain good!!

Those crash potatoes look fabulous! I may have to make those tonight! Thanks for that recipe.

My grandmother used to make the most delicious fried potatoes and onions! Chop some potatoes into small cubes and slice up onions. Place in a frying pan with a little oil, salt and pepper and cook until done. So good. My dad makes this and adds bell peppers to the mix. It's easy and so good and always reminds me of my grandmother.