Menu

What are your favorite books for a young child?

Alabaster's Song, Max Lucado (a Christmas story)

Harry the Dirty Dog

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I sit here and suddenly remember how much I loved those days of book reading to young ones!

I also liked this other one, but am not sure about the title... something like the big strawberry and the hungry bear... we don't have it anymore, but we liked it a lot!

For board books I usually try to give four or five that new parents don't have or know (as in, not Goodnight Moon, though I love it.)

Moo, Baa, La La La (or maybe The Going to Bed Book) by Sandra Boynton

Fire Truck by Peter Sis

Freight Train by Donald Crews

Jamberry

I also would add in Mo Willems' Cat the Cat series. Cause every new parent needs to meet Mo Willems.

I also really like Pat Hutchins's Titch books for that age, but I think most are out of print. Another good new parent gift is the book The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury which has many books and introduces parents to a lot of good authors and levels of picture books.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far! More suggestions are still welcome ... you can never have too many books :D !

I should know this, one would think, but my mind went blank. We have so many books, that going through the bookshelf would be a monumental task. And the thought of narrowing it down to just a few ... I just wouldn't know where to begin (and yet I'm asking that of you :tongue_smilie:!)

Are there any that girls would enjoy more, or boys? They are adopting quadruplets: 2 girls and 2 boys. Isn't that incredible (and wonderful!)?

Does anyone have any other gift suggestions?

Thanks again :001_smile:.

My 3-yr old boy particularly enjoys

What do you Say, Dear? http://www.amazon.com/What-Do-You-Say-Dear/dp/0064431126/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288205424&sr=1-2 -- ill. by Maurice Sendak

Belly Button book by Sandra Boynton

I'm the The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry

And for Eric Carle it's a toss up -- Brown Bear Brown bear what do you see and The very hungry caterpillar

(Oh and we have a mix of board books and paper page books because he can not handle regular pages on his own yet)

We are going to an adoption shower this weekend for a couple adopting multiples from a foreign country. They will have just turned 3 when they arrive.

What are your 4 favorite books for a child this age?

Thanks!

If English is not their first language, I'd start with Pat The Bunny and Goodnight Moon.

Winnie the Pooh

This was my dds favorite real aloud for a very long time. We still enjoy them from time to time.

ETA: I just saw that you asked for four. The other three would be...

One Moose, Twenty Mice

Goodnight Moon

Over in the Meadow

- these three are all board books

- Over in the Meadow was my older dds favorite even as a baby - it would calm her right down

Edited by Horton