Menu

How many days a week do you do school?

RainbowSprinkles

We tend to schedule 4 days of school with a 5th day for field trips or other activities, but this rarely falls on Friday every week. Locally we have several museums that offer homeschool days with special activities or classes and if that falls on a Wednesday then we move things around for it. We also do more year round school, tending to schedule more work when the weather is not very nice and taking lighter days when we can spend the afternoon at the Botanical Gardens or the Zoo. HTH

I schedule for 4 days and use day 5 for catch up. This way if something comes up during the week I don't stress about being behind or having to do 2 days in 1.

This is the same thing we do. Sunday-Thursday we do school, but we can catch up on Friday if we have appointments. . ..or if the weather was just too nice to stay inside.;)

We school year-round with a few weeks off around the holidays or birthdays. This has allowed us to complete schoolwork in a more compact style of 3 days per week. Monday-Wednesday are the days we designate as when we want to get everything done (the main focus is always on math and language arts). We use Thursday as an alternative school day if someone is sick or we get off track and have a lot of work to complete. Friday-Sunday are days off or we do field trips or classes on those days.

For now, we are scheduling history and science pretty loosely. I am still trying to find where that will fit in, but I think what might work is to schedule history and science on alternate weeks so that we focus on one or the other at one time.

As an example for this week:

-Monday - I was sick this week so we decided to start school on Tuesday instead.

-Tuesday - We worked on math, spelling, and science.

-Wednesday - We worked on math, spelling, and writing, finished up science.

-Thursday - Today we are working on finishing up math and grammar.

Next week, we will focus on history instead of science.

I still need to add in English From the Roots Up and Lightning Lit to the schedule.

In the future, as my dd gets into high school years, I may need to adjust this schedule to incorporate more classes outside the house during the week, but by then I hope to have her working more independently so we probably won't have set days per week, rather when she finishes her assignments for the week she will be allowed to pursue other activities.

In the past, we've done 4 days of seatwork and 1 day of art, projects, field trips, etc. We've also done 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

I've always taken care to use phrase them project days or project weeks, as opposed to 'fun' days. There's so much prejudice (in society in general) against anyone liking school/schoolwork that I hate to add to it in any way. I never wanted to present it as "we will suffer through our schoolwork and then be rewarded with a fun day," y'know? It's just easier to schlepp out all the stuff for projects on specified days, rather than randomly throughout the week.

Personal peeve of mine! My poor kids are surrounded by relatives who shriek in horror every time we do something school-ish at "odd" times. They think it's awful that I have them do schoolwork in the car when we drive to Disney or something, because the poor things are supposed to be on vacation, no learning allowed, lol! Because there are so many BETTER things to do for ten hours in the car, that it's awful to spend an hour of that time listening to a history chapter and some Latin vocab :001_rolleyes:

End digression.

:iagree:Good point though! My ds, who's not yet 4, begs for "school work" to do in the car during trips! (He's not in school yet!) It's gotten to the point now that the kids are disappointed if a car trip is only an hour or so...not enough time to listen to an audiobook and do some projects!

We started off doing 4 days/week with Friday as an activity day. We did that up until my oldest finished 4th grade. We moved at that point and no longer had a group with an activity day on Fridays. Also, we were in a neighborhood for the first time and the kids wanted to follow the ps schedule. So now we do 5 days/week, but we finish early on Fridays to go to our afternoon parkday.

There's so much prejudice (in society in general) against anyone liking school/schoolwork that I hate to add to it in any way. I never wanted to present it as "we will suffer through our schoolwork and then be rewarded with a fun day," y'know?

We share a pet peeve. :D I hate it when people tell kiddos that learning isn't fun, but torture they must endure to get to get to the "good stuff."

We went to an event where a woman was playing different music for the children and having them name the genre. She preceded each classical piece with, "This is the kind you guys don't like." :001_huh: Well, not now, lady....

Usually 5 days per week, but we follow Older Sister's highschool schedule (I have to drive to/from). When she has a day off or an early dismissal day, we have the same :)

We also do every subject every day: math, earth science, ancient history, English (grammar/vocab/writing/lit), and French.

6 days - Mon-Sat

Mondays we do math & literature and then the Y's Homeschool program.On the other weekdays we do all subjects. On Saturdays my husband teaches Latin, Art & Art History, Religion, Logic, Bible/Church History & Music. Sunday is a day off. Sometimes if the kids make plans for Saturday my husband will teach Sunday afternoon/evening instead.

Edited to add~ We do 32 weeks of school except for Latin and Religion which are done all year.

Edited by NineChoirs

6 days: Sun.-Fri.

Sunday and Fridays are my light days.

I only do Math, Science, Music Review, and Grammar on Sundays. It is about 3 hours in all.

I only do Music, Science, Grammar, and Health on Fridays. It is about 3 hours in all.

Also on Friday is my makeup day, so sometimes my days are 3 hours and other times 6.

I like it. I usually do any weekend stuff on Saturday, and on Sundays I am bored to tears, so I get some school out of the way.

Plus, if I know for sure I'll be missing a day during the week (doctor appt., party, babysitting, etc.) I'll get it done Sunday.

Keeps me away from the computer, the TV off, and the cellphone put away so my brain won't turn to mush :lol:

We do five days a week, about 3 hours each day, 40 weeks a year. 36 official reporting weeks so not to make others look bad at evaluation time :tongue_smilie:

Ds, 7, is in his Second Year. If we skip a day, we usually make it up on Saturdays. However, this week we skipped a day to celebrate Daddy's birthday with him, and it's staying like that as tomorrow we have three Halloween parties to attend :)

we do six days a week, but they are short. dd is so young i think that frequency is more important than duration. we also take off whenever i want. this is our first year, but my plan is to do three 10 week sessions a year plus one week for portfolio review and testing. then we'll use the rest of the year for a mostly child directed type of learning. we can't give up foreign languages or math for the summer, those i will mandate but on a light schedule. i am so glad i don't have to count hours.

• 2 weeks later...

First I tried unstructured, let the DC guide us. I realized we weren't doing much except "stuff and fun", no learning I could recognize and label. (I don't call grocery shopping "learning" unless there's structured outcomes from it.)

Now we school 4.5 days each week. I alternate the .5 day that is for "fun" and "finish". My DC get in a rut if Friday is always the "Fun" day. The rut they're in is too much anticipation of Fun and rushing through the rest.

SO, I change it up. They don't know when it's scheduled and keep a steady pace (and attitude and low excitement) for all their learning.

I use the .5 fun day to reinforce something we've studied. Maybe it's the economics of the Zoo, When people and animals siesta, Classifying animals, and What do animals need in their habitats to be content?

These "fun" days lead to many more conversations at dinner, with DH, and searches for more answers/learning than we had before.

6 to 7 days a week. Math is six short lessons (15 min. or so) a week ala Charlotte Mason. Reading (15 min. or so) is six days a week, but the boys like to do Sunday too here and there. Science and Bible with MFW (an hour or more) is 5 days a week. We love our short school days! We'll start American History (MFW Adventures w/ science and bible included!) next year in place of MFW K and for 5 days a week.

Edited by mommyjen

We do school 4 days a week except for math. Right now my dh and oldest son are taking Monday off so we do Math on Monday and full schedule the rest of the week.

We do school all year long, taking Thanksgiving wk off, 3 wks at Christmas, and about a month in the summer. This year we will be doing Math at least 1 of our Christmas wks and a couple of the Thanksgiving wk days. This is simple catchup for all the time that was taken while we were in Denver hosp.with our oldest son.

We used to do school 4 days a week with art and some lighter things on Fridays. Now that we are at the upper middle school level, it is more like 5 days a week. Fridays we do math and history, but the rest of the Friday schedule generally tends to be less heavy than what we do earlier in the week.