Menu

How often does your church serve communion...obvious CC

How often does your church serve communion?  

1. 1. How often does your church serve communion?

• weekly
    • twice a month
    • once a month
    • quarterly
    • annually
    • we don't serve communion
    • other

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious what other local bodies do. Like I said, our church is going from once a month to once a week and it just caused me to wonder what other churches do.:)

It would be interesting to add a side poll about frequency related to whether the particular group of believers adheres to the "literal presence" belief about communion (Christ's body and blood are actually present in the elements), or a symbolic belief (that one is ingesting a wafer/cracker/bread and juice as a symbolic remembrance). I imagine, but do not know for sure, that those who participate in a weekly (or more) communion believe in the real presence, and that those who partake less frequently believe in the symbolic view. I know it wouldn't be across the board, but there's probably a pattern there.

ETA - I'm so NOT trying to start a discussion on that, by the way, 'cause I wouldn't want it to turn into a debate. Just making an observation.

Edited by milovaný

I forgot about my Catholic friends who have Mass available every day. :) Sorry about that in my poll choices.

I go to a PCA (Prebyterian Church in America) and we are transitioning from once a month to every week.

We are OPC and went from once a month to weekly about 3 years ago. I love it!

At the weekly worship service. My husband is the pastor (we are PCA) and the way he explains it is that the preaching of the Word and the administering of the sacrament should always go together. So if there is a sermon you should serve Communion. Not all PCA churches are the same, however.

At the weekly worship service. My husband is the pastor (we are PCA) and the way he explains it is that the preaching of the Word and the administering of the sacrament should always go together. So if there is a sermon you should serve Communion. Not all PCA churches are the same, however.

See, that's the way our session (on which my dh serves as a ruling elder) is seeing it after an extended study on the subject.