Menu

Laugh out loud books for an 8yo boy?

DS enjoys reading adventure books (Robin Hood, King Arthur, Treasure Island, The Three Musketeers) but today he told me he would like to read something that would make him laugh out loud.

He didn't find The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books funny. He doesn't like joke or riddle books. He just wants a funny story to read.

Any suggestions?

Homer Price by Robert McClosky is one of our family favorites - I cannot see a donut machine without cracking up. Owls in the Family by Farley Mowatt has us laughing so hard that we could barely finish the chapter.

I put the McClosky book on hold with our library but they don't have the Mowatt book. Too bad because it sounds like a good one.

I've never been one to offer the twaddle option, especially for a good reader, but I guess there has to be a first time for everything!

Hank the Cowdog.

Was there a cartoon about that character a few years ago?

Roald Dahl is pretty funny. We have enjoyed reading several of his books this past month. DS also really enjoyed Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing for the funny category.

We love Roald Dahl. We've read The Witches, The Twits, The Enormous Crocodile, The Magic Finger, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach... But I know there are more we haven't read, like The Boy, The BFG, and The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me. Thanks for the reminder!

And I put Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing on his library list. :001_smile:

Edited by m0mmaBuck
to add information

Obviously, Roald Dahl.

And Daniel Pinkwater!!! Is there anyone funnier?

Also, maybe Louis Sachar? The Wayside School books, obviously, but also maybe Holes, which is weird, but also funny and wonderful.

And maybe Bruce Hale... The Chet Gecko series is a good one by him that's funny of punny jokes and silly animal humor.

How about Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Westin? It's all in verse. It's really, really strange, but funny.

And he might be old enough for Artemis Fowl, which is funny and a very "boy" book.

I'll second farrarwilliams's suggestion of Daniel Pinkwater. Hoboken Chicken Emergency is truly hilarious, as are his picture books about Larry the polar bear.

Maira Kalman's books are wonderful, too. They're not chapter books, but they're very funny if you're in the mood for something quick. The list of grievances in What Pete Ate From A to Z slays me, as do her books about Max Stravinsky, the dog poet.

Dave Barry's Science Fair is also a hoot. I listened to it while I was painting a bedroom and almost fell off the ladder more than once.

The collections of Yiddish stories for children by Noble Prize winning author Isaac Bashevis Singer including: Fools of Chelm, When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw, Zlateh the Goat, and Mazel and Shlimazel are hysterically funny!

We laugh so hard we cry reading these.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Obviously, Roald Dahl.

And Daniel Pinkwater!!! Is there anyone funnier?

Also, maybe Louis Sachar? The Wayside School books, obviously, but also maybe Holes, which is weird, but also funny and wonderful.

book.

A second vote for Wayside School series. We're enjoying the audio books at our house right now.