Menu

What's for dinner?

If it isn't take out or Schwan's then it is sandwiches for dinner on "bad" days.

I haven't got a clue as to what to prepare tonight. Dh was not supposed to be home this week so I planned for only dd and me. I'm going to have to think of something quick. He just walked in the door.

I try to keep a pack of chicken breasts, a bottle of one of Trader Joe's thai curry sauces, and a couple of packs of the precooked rice (for the REALLY crazy days) on hand. Unfortunately, I've already done that this week, and haven't restocked. So dh is getting pizza.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to fire up the crockpot for cube steak.

Tacos are generally our go-to when everyone's on a dead run or dead tired because it's generally a 10 minute prep job at most.

Also good - scrambled eggs and toast. Bacon if we have any.

I have been known to do pancakes when I have to cook and am too tired to think. We keep a bag of mix in the cupboard for just this type of emergency - just add water.

We keep frozen tortillas, Mexican cheese blend, and taco meat in the freezer for such nights. We always have tomato and veggies, but I can also stop at the fruit market down the road if need be.

Tonight I'm making REAL lasagna, though, with four cheeses and lots of garlic and oregano. I have always made it very plain (tomato sauce, noodles, and shredded mozz,) because of food texture issues around here. Everyone has been really great about trying new things lately, though, so I'm giving it a shot. :D

I usually do breakfast on nights like that. Tonight was one of those nights, but instead of breakfast I tried something a little different. I had some leftover chicken breasts in the fridge, so I chopped them up and cooked some elbow macaroni. I stirred in a large can of cream of chicken soup and served a salad on the side. The kids loved it.

On a night like yours? Pasta of some sort. Eggs, maybe. My older boys are old enough to cook for everyone - so - I'd ask them.

Maybe pizza. Don't feel the least bit guilty--cereal is good, too!

Tonight I'm making my very first, homemade chicken noodle soup. I even made the broth. Yea, me.

Yea for you is right!!!! How did it turn out??? Homemade broth is the BEST!!!!! I plan my meals around when I'll have fresh broth. Seriously.

On nights like yours, we have sandwiches. If I've planned ahead, I take something homemade out of the freezer, but that rarely happens.

Actually, we had a night like yours. I had some leftover homemade chicken vegetable soup planned for dinner, so I heated it up.

Edited by RoughCollie

On a night like yours? Pasta of some sort. Eggs, maybe. My older boys are old enough to cook for everyone - so - I'd ask them.

Yea for you is right!!!! How did it turn out??? Homemade broth is the BEST!!!!! I plan my meals around when I'll have fresh broth. Seriously.

It came out tasting really good! I didn't boil the breast all the way--I took the chicken out after about 45 minutes, and then gently sauteed (if that's the right word) some onions and the breast in some butter, and added it back in. I also cooked the noodles in a second pot of broth before adding them to the soup.

We liked it!

(Thanks for understanding this was a big deal for me! lol)