Menu

silly Poll: Your wedding ring(s)--yellow gold or white gold/platinum?

Inspired by Dawn's bluenile.com thread! I'm curious about the trend in white gold/platinum. The very few options in white gold/platinum were seen by my friends and me as kind of "cheap" 15+ years ago, but now I really like it! LOL But my rings are mine and I won't change them. :)

My DH and I chose white gold because we had both been previously married. Our past rings were yellow gold and we wanted something very different. I upgraded my ring set to a platinum set that I wore for a few years but then had my diamond mounted in my original set again because I missed its simple unique look. I won't ever change it again. :)

Yellow gold *and* white gold just under ten years ago. (It's a thinner white gold band on a slightly wider yellow gold band, so it's mostly white but with a hint of yellow on either side -- I like that it goes with anything.)

My "engagement" ring was actually bought for my 8th anniversary (so relatively recently) as a replacement for the el cheapo ring that we'd been able to afford at the time and that had gotten crushed (while on my finger! I have no idea how)... It's platinum.

Edited to add: Dh and I really wanted matching wedding rings, so we searched a ton to find rings that were a) in our very limited price range, lol, and b) would look suitably masculine on his hand and not ridiculous on my very small hand... There was actually a set that we liked even more, but that didn't fit criteria "a", lol, but I'm still very happy with the choice we made -- perhaps even happier than if I'd ended up with my first choice.

I chose other. Mine was a wide band of platinum with a yellow gold strip in the center.

I lost it in the operating room. I used to tie it onto the string of my scrub pants when I scrubbed in for surgery. And one day it was gone. Probably in a biological waste incinerator. :sad:

A year or two later, Bud gave me a new David Yurman ring to replace it, and it is a combination of silver and yellow gold with a big emerald cut peridot. I really love that ring.

We're approaching our 15th anniversary. :D

OK, that just stinks! Was it while you were having a baby, too? Grrr!

Actually it was while I was getting my IUD removed (string disappeared so it required surgery). They were *supposed* to give my clothing bag to my husband but did not do it. The jewelry ended up not making it back to me :(

I will NOT use that hospital again. Luckily we live in an area with a load of hospitals to choose from.

We had it made to match the engagement ring, which belonged to my husband's great-grandmother (inscribed May 20, 1902, so we married on May 20, 1995). He had the cool antique setting, but no stone, I had a ring with a decent stone but a pretty unattractive setting that I had inherited from my great-grandfather's sister. We combined the stone and ring, then had a wedding band made to match.

Interestingly, my grandmother's rings are platinum and she was married in the early 40's! She never liked it though. She always said that she wished that they were yellow gold. My grandfather must have been ahead of his time!

--Dawn

We didn't exchange rings...lol...neither one of us likes jewelry so when we went to purchase the rings, we didn't like anything...finally we just decided to forget it. Why spend all that money on something we hated. It's worked fine for us. (together 13 years)

If I had got a ring, it would have been platinum. I just like the look of it. :)

matchy-poopoo

OK, I've never heard that expression. May I borrow it?

My husband helped to design my ring. I didn't get to see it until he slid it on my finger at the ceremony. (He claims to not be artsy but he does a fine job helping me decide on my earrings!)

Mine is yellow gold, and we were married 18 years ago (1989). However, my wedding band was given to my dh by his mother, who received it on HER wedding day to dh's daddy. My dh's father died when dh was only 10 years old; when the pastor who married us asked for the ring, dh left the altar, took the ring from his mom (gave her a kiss), and returned to me and put it on my finger, where it's been ever since.

I have a wedding set that dh bought me, with channel set diamonds, etc. But that sits in my jewelry box. My plain, thin, gold band that my dear FIL (who I've never met) gave to my MIL is the most precious piece of jewelry I own.

We have been married 16 years and I currently have the fourth set since then. I did not realize it was that many until I thought about just now. The first was not really a set. My engagement ring was a simple yellow gold and amethyst ring, then the wedding band was a very thin plain gold band. It was what we could afford then and very simple. I wore it for ten years. I had to have it repaired several times, so when the gold on the bottom of the band got dangerously thin we decided to replace it. I got a very simple yellow gold set, with tiny diamonds. It was alright. The main stone (more like a chip in prongs), got caught on everything. On our 14th we replaced that with a very nice set in platinum. I loved it, but I had never worn platinum before. Despite all the assurances I got that platinum was non-allergenic, I still had a reaction to it. It was not as bad as some metals, but enough to take the pleasure out of wearing it. We just recently had the stones reset in 14k yellow gold. The setting is a little simpler than my platinum was, but still quite nice.

My engagement ring was my great-grandmother's engagement ring. She got married in 1905 or thereabouts. Since the other poster with rose gold also has a family heirloom ring from the same time frame, maybe ti was a trend then? Two data points probably isn't enough for a trend, huh?

It is rose gold with emeralds. (They were very Irish.) My wedding ring was custom designed to match it. The ring-maker (is there a technical term for that?) had so much fun making it that he didn't charge us for the ring. We only paid for my DH's ring. It is all very simple.

And an aside, we were married on my parent's 28th wedding anniversary, at the same time, and I wore my mom's dress.

Ever since I was a teen I've hated the look of traditional yellow gold with my skin tone, though it looks great on my mom. I always wore silver jewelry as a teen. Thus, when we were ring shopping, I was delighted to discover the existence of "white gold" since platinum was definitely out of our price range. I've never regretted it! We're celebrating 5 years in June.

Mine are yellow gold. Silver/white gold does not look good on me.

My first set lost the main diamond. :001_huh: It was a very nice, pretty, average 'sized' ring, wrap band, etc. I would like to have it somehow made into earrings someday as it is sentimental to me because it's what we were married with. KWIM? I was so upset! My husband felt so BAD.

So, my husband took me to Rogers and Hollands and bought me the largest doorknob they had, and immediately insured it. :lol:

We have been married for almost 14 years..

I don't have a "wedding ring", never have. Islamically, the groom gives the bride a dowry (mahr), which is often gold/jewelry. In my case it was a gold set, a very nice Indian-style set with heavy necklace, bracelet, earrings and a very delicate ring (not one that I could wear every day). The whole set is a bit over the top for me, lol, I only wear it for fancy occasions like weddings, etc. It is yellow gold.

For everyday I actually kind of rotate the rings I wear. Right now I'm in a silver phase, really like the look of it.. so I have a sort of vine leaf die-cut wide band I wear on one hand, and a pair of rings I wear together on the other, one an engraved band and one a solid band with a cat's eye stone in it. The vine leaf one dh bought for me a couple years ago in India; the cat's eye one I bought myself, and I'm not sure where the engraved band came from, I just came across it in an old jewelry box at home and no one knows anything about it, lol.

Kate

We will be married 15 years June 5. DH chose a yellow gold band for himself because only yellow gold was available in a comfort fit (rounded) and he wanted to be able to wear his wedding ring while he played drums. Mine was white gold because it matched my antique engagement ring.

Last summer, we decided to have silver matching Celtic bands made, and that's what we wear now. But I voted white gold and 10+ years in the poll because that's what I was married in.

Dh bought a filigree ring in white gold from an estate jeweler. To prevent the filigree from wearing down, I don't wear a separate wedding ring. Dh wears a plain white gold band w. inscriptions inside. We were married 9 years ago next month. :)

We will be married 15 years June 5. DH chose a yellow gold band for himself because only yellow gold was available in a comfort fit (rounded) and he wanted to be able to wear his wedding ring while he played drums. Mine was white gold because it matched my antique engagement ring.

Last summer, we decided to have silver matching Celtic bands made, and that's what we wear now. But I voted white gold and 10+ years in the poll because that's what I was married in.

Wow, those are beautiful, Rebecca!

I can't stand the feeling of rings on my fingers and didn't really feel the need for a ring. I feel like our mannerism say loud and clear that we are married and that we don't need to announce to the world our pledge to be together. I guess that maybe I don't really understand the whole concept behind wedding rings. :confused:

Dh bought a filigree ring in white gold from an estate jeweler. To prevent the filigree from wearing down, I don't wear a separate wedding ring. Dh wears a plain white gold band w. inscriptions inside. We were married 9 years ago next month. :)

Something we did to prevent wear on the antique ring was to have the band tacked to the antique ring at the back. My engagement ring is wider at the point of the stone as the stone is set into a scrolled setting and the band had to be shaped to match it. The tacking keeps them together so they move as a unit.