Menu

Those who consider themselves agnostic would you please answer some questions?

Up front I am a bible believing Christian

I have a family member who I thought had my same believes has denounced Christianity and now calls himself agnostic.

We really have been rubbing each other wrong. So I am trying to enlightened myself regarding how a agnostic feels regarding creation, religion, moral absolutes. I would guess each of you will have different answers and opinions but I feel that this would help me see were this family members is coming from

I guess what i am asking is what is you as a agnostic worldview.

I really want to be able to understand and communicate with this family member without alienating him.

Thanks

To me, creation=evolution. The creation story in the bible is a lovely story, much like every creation story ever written in any religion.

Religion: Everything in moderation. If you think religion is important, great, go to church, worship. But please don't push your religion on me. And please don't tell me you'll pray for me when I tell you I don't believe in your God.

Moral absolutes: The Golden Rule is the answer to just about any moral dilemma I have. For example, would I like it if someone told me I could not marry the person I love? No, I would not. Therefore, homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I do not need to consult a really old book just to find out if I should or should not do something, I just put myself in someone else's shoes.

I think that, for me, OH Homeschooler pretty much nailed it. I believe in treating people with respect and kindness. Ironically, many of the homeschoolers in the local christian group are the ones who I frequently steer clear of as they do NOT treat people with kindness.

I grew up in xianity, but never believed it. Some of the worst abuse has come from my own xian family members. "Oh, I'll pray for you"...."Oh, you don't really believe that"...."you know better than that.......just go to church until you ''feel it''....(I went to church for 18 years, I had many, MANY chances to feel it/believe it).

Us not believing is not a reflection on you/your family/other xians. It just means that we believe something different. Just like someone sending their children to public school is not an indictment against homeschooling.....

The biblical story of creation, like OHH said, is VERY similar to the other creation stories from other religions that pre-date xianity. It's not all that unique and my kids learn it just like other mythology.

Maybe you and your family member can agree to disagree?

I finally had to just stop talking to a cousin of mine because she kept asking questions that, apparently, she just wanted to argue about. I mean, how angry/frustrated would religious people feel if someone asked them questions like, "so, tell me what you believe" and then proceeded to argue point by point? If you just think I'm wrong, fine, but if I just think that YOU are wrong, then you get offended! (that "you" was my cousin, not OP.)

I mosty closely identify with the unitarian church because they are so welcoming and don't shove dogma down people's throats and understand that everyone experiences sprituality differently. I don't discount YOUR (again, not OP) experience just because I havn't lived it/experienced it, why must others tell me that I'm wrong becuase they have not lived MY experiences.....(or lack thereof)?

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

My 12yo considers himself agnostic (dh and I are atheists). To him, there's no proof of any god creating the universe (He's a Big Bang'er) or playing any sort of part in people's lives, so it probably isn't true. But the fact that people all over the world have shared similar stories since the beginning of history gives him pause. I guess he thinks there could be some sort of basic truth that got messed up along the way, like playing telephone.

At least, this is his latest stance. Last year, he thought he was a Christian Jew.

Can we have a bit more info? Like an example of a conversation that went wrong.

I guess I'm confused...easy to do! I am a christian, but I believe in evolution. I don't like to go to church, and have real issues with evangelical christanity. Sooooo...well I just need more info :D.

I agree that examples of conversations that went wrong would help us understand. For my background, I was raised Catholic and did believe in God until my 20's, and even then it was a slow process of undoing my beliefs. My family knows that I am not religious and we never talk about it, except on occasion when my mom makes an assumption that something she says will offend me and then way overcompensates, at which point I do become offended. :tongue_smilie: I mean, honestly? In this country, you are in the minority if you are not involved in any religion, you just are. Look at the stats. So I think agnostics/atheists are used to people not getting where we're coming from and most of the time I would just rather get along than question everything someone says about religion in polite conversation.

There is that old social norm not to discuss religion and taxes in mixed company. As an atheist (yes I'm actually an atheist rather than agnostic) I don't bring up religion except in private discussions with my husband. I rarely comment when someone else brings up religion, except if they start to use religion as a reason to discriminate (see my previous post about the golden rule) and I'm in a mood. I think for the most part, most people assume I do believe in God because I just don't talk about it, and I think the default assumption is that everyone believes in God.

Maybe it would be useful to define the words "agnostic" and "atheist." People often get them confused. An agnostic is a person who has decided, essentially, that it's impossible to know whether or not there is a God/god/gods. An atheist is a person who has decided that there isn't a God/god/gods. Your family member is on the fence -- not in the sense that they can be convinced in one direction or another, but in the sense that s/he believes that such things are unknowable, and that that's OK.

Most agnostics and atheists alike have a strong moral/ethical code, but one that's not based in religious beliefs. For example, I'm an atheist and was raised as one. I believe that it's our responsibility as humans to care for each other. My basis for that belief is a non-religious one (societal duties, an ecosystem model of existence, etc.), but the result is that many of my values are the same as many Christians, Jews, Buddhist, etc. We should be kind, honest, and treat others as we would wish to be treated. We should work hard and be generous.

In short, you probably don't need to worry that this person is going to start being unethical or sinful. They'll follow the same moral compass they've had the whole time, perhaps similar compass to your's, but it'll be rooted into a different place.

I have some relatives who are religious and if we have a successful relationship, it's because we both accept that we must allow others their own opinions. It goes both ways.

To me, creation=evolution. The creation story in the bible is a lovely story, much like every creation story ever written in any religion.

Religion: Everything in moderation. If you think religion is important, great, go to church, worship. But please don't push your religion on me. And please don't tell me you'll pray for me when I tell you I don't believe in your God.

Moral absolutes: The Golden Rule is the answer to just about any moral dilemma I have. For example, would I like it if someone told me I could not marry the person I love? No, I would not. Therefore, homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I do not need to consult a really old book just to find out if I should or should not do something, I just put myself in someone else's shoes.

:iagree:

I rely on science to help me understand the natural world. The golden rule is my moral compass.

I don't enjoy discussing religion with people. Proselytizing is not welcome here.

This is how an agnostic, former neighbour of ours felt. We both had a healthy respect for one another. No antagonism. I learned to shut my mouth and open my ears. When she wanted prayer, she asked for it. Beyond that, there was basic morals (the golden rule) and simple "being neighbourly".

I think that, for me, OH Homeschooler pretty much nailed it. I believe in treating people with respect and kindness. Ironically, many of the homeschoolers in the local christian group are the ones who I frequently steer clear of as they do NOT treat people with kindness.

I grew up in xianity, but never believed it. Some of the worst abuse has come from my own xian family members. "Oh, I'll pray for you"...."Oh, you don't really believe that"...."you know better than that.......just go to church until you ''feel it''....(I went to church for 18 years, I had many, MANY chances to feel it/believe it).

Us not believing is not a reflection on you/your family/other xians. It just means that we believe something different. Just like someone sending their children to public school is not an indictment against homeschooling.....

The biblical story of creation, like OHH said, is VERY similar to the other creation stories from other religions that pre-date xianity. It's not all that unique and my kids learn it just like other mythology.?

Yep, and I especially feel strongly about the bolded bit. Believing or not believing is not a choice, it just IS. You either believe or you don't, you can't convince yourself otherwise. I don't believe in the Christian god, but I don't know absolutely that there is no god, I just think there probably isn't.

I don't get the issue to be honest. What discussion would you have that is an issue?

Most agnostics and atheists alike have a strong moral/ethical code, but one that's not based in religious beliefs. For example, I'm an atheist and was raised as one. I believe that it's our responsibility as humans to care for each other. My basis for that belief is a non-religious one (societal duties, an ecosystem model of existence, etc.), but the result is that many of my values are the same as many Christians, Jews, Buddhist, etc. We should be kind, honest, and treat others as we would wish to be treated. We should work hard and be generous.

The idea that we need to believe in a higher power to have morals and values is one of the things that makes me angriest actually.

I have a family member who I thought had my same believes has denounced Christianity and now calls himself agnostic.

My husband is an agnostic who has not denounced Christianity. He HOPES the Bible he was raised with is true, but has no faith or assurance it is. He questions it.

I think the issue is not the agnostic in your family member, but the denunciation. I didn't have a religion to denounce, hence I don't get into kerfuffles with religious people.

If you look up agnostic, it is one who questions. Many non-Christians believe in a deity, many non-believers aren't even questioning, and hence are atheists or, what I label myself, apathist. I consider the question of whether there is a deity or not as a completely pointless question, and don't ask it.

So, world views aplenty! I'd try to figure out what it is with you and the family member that is causing the rub. Religion may have nothing to do with it. HTH :grouphug:

Creation: I view creation as evolution. How the first sparks of life started, I don't know. To me, not knowing is a big part of being an agnostic.

Religion: I view religion as a deeply personal thing that can be both beautiful and toxic. People who truly live their lives according to their religion, are not judgmental, and do no harm to others -- to me that is such a beautiful thing. In a lot of ways I envy people who have real faith. I also think religion can be toxic. Look at that whackadoodle who wants to burn the Koran, for instance. Is that something Jesus would do? No, it's not. There are so many people --and far too many people in positions of power -- who wear the label but don't live the life. The fact that people fight about religion and which religion is right and true also bothers me. I think that there are many of the same moral laws that lie at the center of each religion. To me, religion too often divides people over theological differences and doesn't work to bring them together by looking at the common threads.

Moral absolutes: I think there are common moral threads and laws, but I have a difficult time with absolutes. There is nearly always an exception to the rules. Killing someone is morally wrong, but if you're killing someone because they're going to kill you or your children if you don't, is that still morally wrong? We kill in wars. Is that morally wrong? I see lots of gray areas. I'm not a super black or white person.

As an agnostic, I DO believe there is some higher power out there. I've just been dissatisfied with the explanations of any of the religions I've studied. None of them rang true for me. Wicca and Buddhism come closest, but I can't even buy into those completely. Your best bet may be asking this family member what HE believes. If you can enter into an honest conversations with him without making him think you're trying to convert him to your way of thinking, I'm sure you'll get your answer.

An agnostic is a person who has decided, essentially, that it's impossible to know whether or not there is a God/god/gods.

Your family member is on the fence -- not in the sense that they can be convinced in one direction or another, but in the sense that s/he believes that such things are unknowable, and that that's OK.

Yes, exactly! I think mankind cannot &/or will not ever know if there is a god/gods/higher power. Is it possible there is a higher power of some sort? Yes. Is it possible there is nothing of the sort? Yes. The ambiguity does not bother me -- I am comfortable w/ being certain that we can never be certain. ;):D

Most agnostics and atheists alike have a strong moral/ethical code, but one that's not based in religious beliefs.

:iagree: I find it distressing that I have (fairly often) heard religious believers state that non-believers (whether agnostic or atheist) are immoral or somehow lacking in character or ethics -- what a terrible misconception....

I think that if you try, you will be able to find plenty of common ground, respect, and compassion with your relative.

Well. As others have said, an agnostic is someone who just doesn't know whether there is a God. An atheist is someone who has decided there isn't.

I'm not 100 percent sure where I stand. I was raised Jewish, but we didn't go to temple, I didn't have a bat mitzvah etc. We celebrated the major holidays, basically (more so when my grandfather was alive, not so much after he died when I was in my early teens).

For a couple of years as a teen (age 14-16) I lived in a foster home with a Methodist Christian family. They took me to church with them, they let me go to youth group (which I was happy to go to because my friends did) and for a while I decided I, too, had Christian beliefs.

After I left there, I gradually drifted away from those beliefs (I just found them less relevant to my real life, I guess, when I wasn't living with that family).

I had my oldest daughter when I was only 18 and allowed her to be baptized Catholic because it was important to her father's family, whereas I really couldn't care less. I didn't consider myself particularly religious at that point.

He and I eventually split up, and I've now been married for over 10 years to a guy who, like me, was raised Jewish. So we call our younger two kids "Jewish" and we celebrate the major holidays with them, but I think it's really more for the sake of tradition and heritage than for the sake of religion, because none of us have particularly strong religious beliefs.

I guess at this stage of my life I might consider myself agnostic-leaning-more-towards-atheism.

I homeschool secularly and we live a mostly secular lifestyle (no temple or whatever, still).

With all of that said, my "moral compass" or whatever you want to call it is just as strong as any Christian's is.

Like the first person to respond here said, I tend to live by "the Golden rule." If I wouldn't want somebody to do it to me, I try not to do it to them. If I would want somebody to do it for me, I try to do it for them.

I consider myself to be a pretty good person. I'm there for my family, I take good care of my kids, I try to be a good friend, I donate blood regularly, I do community service and volunteer here and there and encourage that with my children, too. I try to recycle and do my bit for the planet. I try not to do anything that would be hurtful to others.

I believe in living and letting live... love who you want to love. Worship who or what you want to worship. Or don't worship at all. But play nice. Don't be so quick to judge. Do good things.

I DON'T believe that any one religious group has "cornered the market" on what's "right" (and it seems somehow arrogant to believe otherwise). Like others have said, some "Christian" traditions and stories were told way before Christianity even existed. I DON'T believe that if you're a good person who does good things but you happen to be Jewish or Buddhist or Wiccan or Athiest or whatever the case may be, you're going to "hell" automatically on principal.

I believe that if there IS a God (and while I mostly don't think there is, nor a hell, either, I suppose I can't prove that there isn't)... that what's going to matter is how I lived my life. How I treated people. What sorts of things I did to help others.

And if that turns out NOT to be true, which I doubt... then that wouldn't have been a god I wanted much part of anyway.

I don't belittle people who believe differently, I respect their rights to their beliefs. I don't particularly want them pushed at me or my children and I certainly don't appreciate or believe in a "we're right and you're wrong and we're going to heaven and you're going to hell" attitude, from anybody.

Some of the attitudes rub me the wrong way I guess. Sometimes organized religion seems way too judgmental for my tastes.

To the OP... whatever your family member calls himself or believes or doesn't believe just shouldn't be the issue. The issue should be how he treats his family and what sort of person he is in general.

Up front I am a bible believing Christian

We really have been rubbing each other wrong. So I am trying to enlightened myself regarding how a agnostic feels regarding creation, religion, moral absolutes. I would guess each of you will have different answers and opinions but I feel that this would help me see were this family members is coming from

I really want to be able to understand and communicate with this family member without alienating him.

Thanks

I'm an atheist agnostic (or agnostic atheist, depending on the day), or a "soft atheist". I don't believe in any gods, but don't know for certain--I see no proof for them, however. My "worldview" is science>religion, compassion for all.

I don't believe in the Christian view of creation, nor do I believe in the Norse view or the Ancient Babylonian view, etc.--anything that requires a deity or pantheon of deities to "create." I don't know how biogenesis came about, but . . . I have no proof or reason to believe any of these religious myths does either. (And, Answers in Genesis confirmed that for me :))

I no longer believe in black-and-white morality, as I did when I was a Christian. There were too many issues that didn't fit that binary. When my neighbor conceived a child with harlequin ichthiosis (don't Google if you're not up for some truly horrifying images), she had to decide whether to abort or have a child who probably would live only hours in excruciating pain or be sedated until its death. Many of my Christian friends said that only right thing to do was have the child, and that "God" would take care of it, she just had to do the right thing. Maybe "God" would even miraculously heal her baby!

I saw lots of gray issues, lots of decisions I could only make for myself. I still see my Christian friends bicker over what is right and wrong in situations, and I wonder--if it's really so clear, and you all have the Holy Spirit, why don't you come up with the same answer and find the right way? Yes, I know the Christian answer to that is, "because they aren't submitting to the Holy Spirit, and they're being willful and proud." But I think the answer is that there isn't really a god or Holy Spirit. There is just you, and me and each of us as individuals trying to do what is right, for ourselves and our communities in the larger spectrum.

How has your relation "denounced" Christianity? Did he make some sort of spectacle, or has he just told folks, "I no longer believe" when they bring it up? Just curiosity on my part.

T.

Sorry about replying so late to the thread.

I have read each post and really can now see what my relative has really not been able to put in words. He just announced in a conversation he was no longer a Christian, he was now agnostic. He was getting angry with me for asking the questions that I ask in this thread.

I would guess he saw it more of me judging him when I really just wanted to understand. Or perhaps he really doesn't' know what he believes and he felt I was putting him on the spot.

I really appreciate you sharing your views and it really has helped me to understand what he may be feeling.

I can at least talk more knowledgeable instead of sounding like some type of interrogator:D

I was raised Baptist. I went to church 3 times a week until I was 18. I went to college, had some issues with a big christian group on campus and their actions. I became agnostic when I started working for a lawyer who made me think a different way through conversations that we had.

It's hard to admit to others you grew up with or have known forever that identify you as one Christian that you are no longer Christian or Baptist, or whatever religion you grew up with. So your relative may not want to put it into words because he may think you just won't understand.

Personally, I don't believe a hell exists and I don't believe the god that the Bible talks about exists. The Bible talks about a loving god and a mad god, who in my opinion is very vain (believe in me or go to hell-remember, I was raised Baptist). I don't believe a god who loved everyone would send their 'children' to hell. You have kids...no matter what they do or what life they lead, would you ever wish hell as the bible or your religion describes it, on them? If not, then why would your God wish it on you if he truly loved you...all because you didn't do as he said. I just don't believe a God would send their children to hell.

I believe in the Golden Rule as well. Agnostics and atheists don't have a God to go to to forgive them of a sin they committed. They have to live with it and the consequences. Christians can knowingly commit a sin and be okay with doing it while doing it because they know they will be forgiven by their God. (I'm not trying to start a debate, just giving you my view). For example, my sister did something 15 years ago that I won't ever forgive her for. She talked on her facebook page asking my other sister if God forgives blah, blah, blah. I had written her a 'disturbing' letter (as she put it) telling her how I felt. Let me tell you that disturbing letters come from very disturbing actions. I'm not friends with her on facebook, she just doesn't know how to hide her page. Perhaps her God forgave her, but her sister didn't. What she did was very perverse, I needed to get some things off my chest. But what good does it do a person if your God forgives you, but an earthly human doesn't? You can control your actions, but not the consequences. I believe in Karma, and Karma has bit her in the.... So perhaps when she decided to do what she did, she thought she could be forgiven and did it anyways. An agnostic or atheist doesn't think like that. They have karma to deal with if they do something wrong.

Anyways, I personally believe in guardian angels. I believe there are angels out there that help people and perform miracles here and there. I probably should have died in an accident 7 years ago, but there was no accident. My car did a few 360's in downtown traffic on a major busy highway. I was sideways 2 inches from a mac truck and didn't hit a thing. Christians may say God was with me, I believe my guardian angel was.

I think a lot of the stories in the Bible are myths just like the Greek myths. There are many similarities with Christianity and other previous religions, such as Mithraism. You can get arguments on both sides of the fence for who stole what from who, but similarities and coincidences none the less. Many Christian holidays stem from pagan rituals.

The more I learn about science, politics, history and religion, the less I believe the Bible.

Some days I don't know what I believe, so your relative may not know how to put his belief into words to help you understand if he doesn't know exactly WHY he believes what he does.

;)

Agnostics believe there is a divine spark, universal "god", a "something bigger than me" but do not define in terms related to GOD or mainstream religions.

Personally it varies though...i guess I could fall under the category of Agnostic - but very eclectic Agnostic. My hubby on the other hand does not believe in any sort of god at all. He does believe in the idea of "something bigger than us" though.

Personally, I believe in a Divine spark. I believe in the Big Bang resulting from that Divine spark. I believe in evolution, and believe it is just a manifestation of species tapping into their own Divinity to accomplish change, to be better, to realize their potential.

I believe that Divinity is within each and every one of us - humans, animals, plants, even the earth itself. It is easy to label that Divinity as "god" for simplicity. But I do not believe in a GOD in the sense of a person looking over me. Instead the Divine (god) is within me, you, every living creature. I believe that we have the opportunity on a daily basis to cherish, nuture, honor, and share the Divine that is within us - such simple acts of kindness to ourselves and to others or to our planet and its creatures.

I don't believe in any specific religious leaders, saints, prophets, etc or that they were "chosen" as better than us. I do believe they were more in tune with their own Divinity and honored their own sacred contract with themselves. I believe this is why they have made such amazing and profound teachers.

Best way I have found to describe it to others - think of the Force in StarWars. It flows in and thru every living creature and living cell. It is the magic that is life and the magic that is intellectual consciousness for us as humans. Thru it all things are possible. We have no idea what it is, why it exists, or how it got there - but it is there.

I have read each post and really can now see what my relative has really not been able to put in words. He just announced in a conversation he was no longer a Christian, he was now agnostic. He was getting angry with me for asking the questions that I ask in this thread.

I would guess he saw it more of me judging him when I really just wanted to understand. Or perhaps he really doesn't' know what he believes and he felt I was putting him on the spot.

I really appreciate you sharing your views and it really has helped me to understand what he may be feeling.

I can at least talk more knowledgeable instead of sounding like some type of interrogator:D

I wouldn't bring it up again. If he's new in his change of faith, then he may be feeling rather bruised/confused and needing some time to settle in. FWIW my extended family doesn't discuss religion - it's a private matter.

Edited by Laura Corin

I wouldn't bring it up again. If he's new in his change of faith, then he may be feeling rather bruised/confused and needing some time to settle in. FWIW my extended family doesn't discuss religion - it's a private matter.

Laura

Maybe it would be useful to define the words "agnostic" and "atheist." People often get them confused. An agnostic is a person who has decided, essentially, that it's impossible to know whether or not there is a God/god/gods. An atheist is a person who has decided that there isn't a God/god/gods. Your family member is on the fence -- not in the sense that they can be convinced in one direction or another, but in the sense that s/he believes that such things are unknowable, and that that's OK.

In short, you probably don't need to worry that this person is going to start being unethical or sinful. They'll follow the same moral compass they've had the whole time, perhaps similar compass to your's, but it'll be rooted into a different place.

I have some relatives who are religious and if we have a successful relationship, it's because we both accept that we must allow others their own opinions. It goes both ways.

Very well said!!!

It drives me insane when people infer that you are not a "good" or "moral" person simply cuz you aren't a Christian. Many many non-Christians have fabulous moral compasses - without it being based in church doctrine. Nor does being Christian = "good morals" So many Christians I know do not live the teachings of Christ. And just look at the horrific acts that have been done in Christ's name or God's name....the Koran burning freaks are just the latest on the long list....

Agnostics believe there is a divine spark, universal "god", a "something bigger than me" but do not define in terms related to GOD or mainstream religions.

Some agnostics may believe in a divine spark, I don't.

There are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists. I guess I'm the latter.

I think agnostics hold in common that they don't know, that's about the limit of the commonality.

As a Pagan, I do my best to do no harm. I expect the same from others. Grace, Tolerance, and Respect.

Extend grace for things you can't understand.

Practice tolerance of others beliefs.

Respect my right to not want to listen to your conversion arguements.

I think my biggest issue with most, not all Christians is that they feel that I am wrong. They feel they must lead me on the right path. My path is my own to choose. I don't need you to tell me I am wrong in your opinion. In return I will not tell you that you are wrong. I will not discuss my beliefs unless you ASK me to ! My beliefs are a private matter to me, only I can walk my own path.