Menu

How many people here use Heart of Dakota?

fenni

Do you use Heart of Dakota?  

1. 1. Do you use Heart of Dakota?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe in the future
    • other (because you can't have a poll without it)

Guest RecumbentHeart

Only LhTH so far and not all of it. Mostly just the Bible story and corresponding art/drama activities. Oh, andrhe fingerplay but only occasionally do we do the other letter stuff. We just do the fingerplay because the children love to rhyme and do actions .. And it corresponds to the Bible story of the week.

I was fully intending to use it all the way through but not so sure of late.

I'm using all of all of LHFHG for ds and left side of LHFHG and right side of Beyond for dd. So far I really like it. It is the most balanced program I have tried. Last year I ended up only doing CLE LA/Reading and CLE Math because by the time we were done my dd was spent! She just didn't have any more of herself to give to any other subjects. HOD allows you to do many subjects without over taxing your dc.

We are doing LHFHG and BHFHG this year! love it~

Hi. I was just curious. I am using one plan since I have a 5 yo and a 7yo....plan for 5-7 yr.olds. Seems too complicated to try to put them each in a different book. Just was wondering :o)

Blessings,

Denise

I used LHFHG last year and am using BLHFHG this year. I really like it. There are a few aspects that I think are lacking (science) but it would be easy to supplement with nature study and interest-driven books if you didn't want to fully supplement with a different science program. I don't know if we'll continue with it next year because I'm considering going to computer-based for my DS (SOS or some other similar program), but I have to get through this year first before making any decisions like that.:D

Last year I ended up only doing CLE LA/Reading and CLE Math because by the time we were done my dd was spent! She just didn't have any more of herself to give to any other subjects. HOD allows you to do many subjects without over taxing your dc.

I am using BLHFHG this year and I am finding the same thing. I thought I would supplement it for my DS with R&S reading, God's Design science, and a few other things, but I am finding that by the time DS finishes up the "supplemental subjects" he is too done to do anything else. I am considering chucking all the "supplements" and just sticking with the program as written for a while before introducing anything extra.

Hi. I was just curious. I am using one plan since I have a 5 yo and a 7yo....plan for 5-7 yr.olds. Seems too complicated to try to put them each in a different book. Just was wondering :o)

Blessings,

Denise

I am combining my 2nd grader and Ker into the same guide--BLHFHG. I combined them last year in LHFHG and it went well. I just put them in their own level of math, reading and writing. Trying to do all the left sided stuff for 2 different levels would just be a burden on me and my Ker is doing just fine with it. I plan to keep them combined as long as possible.

I had to choose the "other" bubble (I HATE doing that, I'd prefer to fit neatly into a box).

We are partly but not really using HOD's Preparing Hearts this year and next as a supplement to our WinterPromise programs. That's because I wanted to use Hideaways, my 4th grader hasn't had world history yet, and Preparing offers a lot of materials which fit hand in glove with the Hideaways topics. We're not using their spine or Bible title.

The parts I have been pleasantly surprised to LOVE about Preparing are the hands on history projects (one per week), the geography mini lessons, the dictation (who knew ds would love that?), and the poetry study.

I tried LHFHG when my oldest dd was three. It didn't work at all. I read the bible story one day to her about god being angry and killing someone and my dd got mad at her grandmother that day and said, "She made me mad and I will kill her like god did." I tried to have a nice "springboard" conversation with her and at that age she just didn't get that we can't just go around doing things like that. I sold it and never had that problem with any other curriculum again.

I have read that this has happened to others also. I just couldn't bring myself to use it again.

HTH,

Penny

We are using LHFHG with a K'er and 1st grader. So far it seems like the perfect choice for us. The kiddos are just lighting up when it is time to do our school work. We are going to be using a lot of the literature supplements that are listed in the back of the guide and I think that will add a lot to the program for my fist grader. We also have WP World Around Me and will be adding that for a little more science.

I tried LHFHG when my oldest dd was three. It didn't work at all. I read the bible story one day to her about god being angry and killing someone and my dd got mad at her grandmother that day and said, "She made me mad and I will kill her like god did." I tried to have a nice "springboard" conversation with her and at that age she just didn't get that we can't just go around doing things like that. I sold it and never had that problem with any other curriculum again.

I have read that this has happened to others also. I just couldn't bring myself to use it again.

HTH,

Penny

:confused:LHFHG is for 5-7 yr. olds. Maybe that was the issue?

HTH,

Penny

Do you mean Little Hands to Heaven?

:confused:LHFHG is for 5-7 yr. olds. Maybe that was the issue?
Wait a minute :) I listed the wrong one. It was LHTH that was the one we used. I get confused with all the different names. LHTH just didn't work. Please excuse my error.:tongue_smilie:

I was shocked when she told me she wanted to kill grandma and had to stop using it.

Thanks for correcting my mistake. :001_smile:

Penny

I used it with both of my boys last year and we had a really, really good year. I couldn't have been more pleased. This year, one of my sons is using it as his main curriculum. My other son is using Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and HOD's Language Arts, but that's probably all for this year. My plan at this time is for both of them to use it next year and for us to stick with it for both of them at that point.

Wait a minute :) I listed the wrong one. It was LHTH that was the one we used. I get confused with all the different names. LHTH just didn't work. Please excuse my error.:tongue_smilie:

I was shocked when she told me she wanted to kill grandma and had to stop using it.

Thanks for correcting my mistake. :001_smile:

Penny

:001_huh:I don't think I would blame it on the curriculum...wasn't that a story from the Bible?

We're using HOD this year and everyone is really enjoying it! We're using Beyond (1st and 3rd), but I've added in Bigger for DD's English, handwriting, and math. I think it's the perfect amount of school for my DC. We have plenty of time in the afternoons, but I feel like we get a lot accomplished too. We just finished week 4 and my DC have loved every assignment.

I bought BHFHG for my oldest in 3rd grade. We had a lot going on that year and I didn't get to it much. I visited with Carrie at a convention about what to do for 4th and she suggested moving him on to Preparing since he was already in the upper end of the age range. But, to make sure he had some Am History she suggested just having him read the spines from Bigger. We did that and he did Preparing this for 4th.

We did not do Preparing as written. Ds abhors anything crafty, so we skipped all of that sort of stuff. We also stuck with our CLE LA and math. CLE is a great program, but it was a lot of work.

This year I moved this ds on to CTC. We are doing it almost as written. We still omit most of the crafty stuff. But, I started doing R&S english and am loving it so far. I do AAS with him and we do a different math. But, overall, I love CTC this year.

My two youngers, are doing Beyond so far and loving it. We do different math and do AAS though.

I will continue with HOD here!

Guest Cindie2dds
Nope, we're loyal Oak Meadow people over here :D

I agree!!

HOD was one of the many, many I have bought used and sold. I liked it, but found that Oak Meadow just really "fits" us.

We're using LHFHG for my K and 1st grader. (The first grader is using some of Beyond for the basics, though.) We love it!

It is especially awesome for this first time homeschooling mom. I am an engineer by nature and the guide is laid out just how my brain thinks. We have a great time and there is no complaining when I say it's time to do school.

I too thought the rhymes were kind of goofy, but it's one of my kids' favorite parts! I am going to supplement science with God's Design...mainly for fun...kids have an interest in Astronomy. ;)

We started LHTH last week and it is a hit. I plan to start LHFHG with my dd when she turns 5 (mainly because I haven't finished buying the books-not easy since we're in Asia). We used the sample week from online and she loved it so I'm excited to start. The more I look into HOD, the more I am impressed. At this point, I hope we'll stick with it for the all the future guides! I really like their history sequence, the book picks and the hands on elements.

HTH,

Penny

That's so funny! My 3 ye. Old did something similar when we tried LHTH. She was supposed to throw her stuffed animals around, hit them, whatever (I forget exactly). Then she was supposed to show them forgiveness. We tried talking about the right way to handle yourself when upset but she just kept insisting hitting and throwing the animals was way more fun.

We only used LHTH for a short while. She just wasn't into it....at all. Neither was I.

Guest RecumbentHeart
That's so funny! My 3 ye. Old did something similar when we tried LHTH. She was supposed to throw her stuffed animals around, hit them, whatever (I forget exactly). Then she was supposed to show them forgiveness. We tried talking about the right way to handle yourself when upset but she just kept insisting hitting and throwing the animals was way more fun.

We only used LHTH for a short while. She just wasn't into it....at all. Neither was I.

I have to admit those kinds of actvities in LHTH (I've run across a few so far) didn't sit right with me. Or DH for that matter. I skipped them. There are a few things like that that have dampened my overall enthusiasm.

We were supposed to do this today. I read it and thought I am trying to stop the boys from fighting not give them free reign to pummel and then say I'm sorry.

So we skipped that part. I have learned to read through everything first before starting it. That just screamed bloody pummeling for my other son if I let my youngest have practice with the toys.

HTH,

Penny

I have to admit those kinds of actvities in LHTH (I've run across a few so far) didn't sit right with me. Or DH for that matter. I skipped them. There are a few things like that that have dampened my overall enthusiasm.

We promptly returned LHTH after experiencing situations as listed above.

We're doing Preparing. Just because you may not like one, doesn't mean you may not like another. I'd have never done LHFHG. We did Beyond and truly hated portions of it and stopped. We loved Bigger and really love Preparing!

I'm still very curious about the program and thinking of trying different level(s) next year. . . . do they still act out the Bible stories in the older grades? That was really the only area I had an issue with.

I'm still very curious about the program and thinking of trying different level(s) next year. . . . do they still act out the Bible stories in the older grades? That was really the only area I had an issue with.

You can use hand gestures (like they would in Awana or Sunday School to memorize the verses) in Bigger or Preparing only if you need to. DD doesn't use them unless she wants to. Sometimes she does on just one part of a verse. DD does them in Sunday school, so she's a little more adept at doing that, but as a rule, it's only a tool to memorize the verses. There is no "acting out though". We just do what we have to to memorize.

I believe the really young levels do a lot of hand play. But that wouldn't suit me ... as I mentioned, we never did the younger versions.

You can use hand gestures (like they would in Awana or Sunday School to memorize the verses) in Bigger or Preparing only if you need to. DD doesn't use them unless she wants to. Sometimes she does on just one part of a verse. DD does them in Sunday school, so she's a little more adept at doing that, but as a rule, it's only a tool to memorize the verses. There is no "acting out though". We just do what we have to to memorize.

I believe the really young levels do a lot of hand play. But that wouldn't suit me ... as I mentioned, we never did the younger versions.

Thanks! I don't mind the hand motions for memorization at all...it was just the acting the Bible stories out that bothered me. :)