Menu

s/o Coffee for ADHD

EKS

My son has agreed to try coffee instead of Adderall. We start school tomorrow. I got this chocolate flavored stuff that I hope he likes. I'll post with results throughout the week.

Aside from the fact that Adderall is essentially legal speed, my son doesn't tolerate it very well. We have to use what seems to be a barely effective dose to keep the side effects somewhat contained. He gets very cranky and simply not fun to be around when he's taken it, and he won't eat. He's so skinny and growing so fast that this is not a good thing.

I'm hoping that the caffeine is able to help as much as the really low dose of Adderall he is on but without the side effects.

Edited by EKS

Okay for fear of being hauled off to bad mommy jail I will tell you that we let oldest DS drink Monster b/c of the ADD issues. He has like 1/2 a can before a soccer game and is able to focus so much better. He wasn't as "engaged" in the play of the game and is HS. He also has coffee in the morning and says it helps. I really believe it works.

I am going to be interested in what you find out. DS/10 has been on several different ADHD meds and has had to be taken off of them because he continues to lose weight. Currently, he is on Focalin 10mg morning and after lunch. He has lost 9lbs and in 9mo has not gained any of it back. At his next appointment I will find out if he gets to remain on the Focalin or not.

I have thought about trying the coffee thing but havent' yet.

Yep, there was a thread or two that went around earlier this year or last, I believe.

I started giving my dd chocolate milk....homemade with cocoa powder, milk and only a little sugar. Store bought choc milk has alot of sugar in it, so I make our own and it's better tasting. In the winter I'll give her hot chocolate. All of this is done EARLY in the morning at breakfast to "catch" the effect early enough and prior to starting school.

My dd is on Adderall and it's helpful. If I didn't need to give her the med I wouldn't. Perhaps I'm inspired again to try the alternate method. :D

I don't let her have any caffeine after 2:00 as I do want her to be able to sleep.... HTH. Sheryl <><

Yep, there was a thread or two that went around earlier this year or last, I believe.

I started giving my dd chocolate milk....homemade with cocoa powder, milk and only a little sugar. Store bought choc milk has alot of sugar in it, so I make our own and it's better tasting. In the winter I'll give her hot chocolate. All of this is done EARLY in the morning at breakfast to "catch" the effect early enough and prior to starting school.

My dd is on Adderall and it's helpful. If I didn't need to give her the med I wouldn't. Perhaps I'm inspired again to try the alternate method. :D

I don't let her have any caffeine after 2:00 as I do want her to be able to sleep.... HTH. Sheryl <><

Cocoa powder would not do the trick for my ds. According to a USDA figure, it has about 6 grams of caffeine per tablespoon, so maybe 12mg for the glass? Coffee (a 7 ounce cup) has about 115mg. Caffeine doesn't keep my ds from sleeping, but dairy does.:glare:

My son drank one 16 oz mug of strong coffee fairly quickly. The effect was almost immediate--he was obviously buzzed. He got through his work without being distracted or distracting, which was definitely the coffee doing its job. His mood was good all morning and he was hungry for lunch.

The downside is that today is our first day of school. The novelty combined with the fact that we aren't up to a full load could have had a positive effect on his ability to focus.

But it's encouraging!

For those whose kids don't like the taste of coffee, you could try a "mocha frappaccino" type drink. I make them at home with Kirtland Cafe Cappuccino instant mix, chocolate soy milk, and ice. I get the mix at Costco; the ingredients are sugar, milk, coffee/espresso, vanilla, salt, & cargeenan (a thickener derived from seaweed). You could also use regular chocolate milk, or any milk substitute (rice, almond, etc). It tastes mostly like a chocolate milkshake, the coffee is not that noticeable — but the caffeine kick is definitely there.

I also make a "ba-mocha-nut smoothie" in the Vitamix sometimes: handful of almonds, 1 banana, cup of ice, cup of chocolate soy milk or other milk/substitute, and a shot of espresso or 1/2 cup extra-strong coffee. It's less sweet and higher in protein that the powedered coffee version, but still has a kick.

Jackie

DS and I are going to make coffee tonite and then put creamer in it and a little hershey's syrup. I am going to put it in the frig and then add ice tomorrow morning and make him an iced coffee. I also bought some coke for him to drink in the afternoon, maybe not as much caffeine but it maybe enough to get him through his afternoon schoolwork.

We have just completed our 1st week of this, so I'll share how it went.

We have not had any of the major meltdown, frustration, "I just can't do it!!!" fits. Yeah!!! All work has been getting done, which is huge.

If I miss the lunch time coffee break...our afternoons are a mess! Bouncing of the walls!!! I take them out to the farm, to run and ride horses and it doesn't matter :glare:. So, haven't been able to perfect the doseing schedule...but seeing the confidence in my sons is wonderful!

Cocoa powder would not do the trick for my ds. According to a USDA figure, it has about 6 grams of caffeine per tablespoon, so maybe 12mg for the glass? Coffee (a 7 ounce cup) has about 115mg. Caffeine doesn't keep my ds from sleeping, but dairy does.:glare:
I use raw cacao. "As well as antioxidants the beans are rich in magnesium and the feel good factor chemicals dopamine and tryptophan."

It works better than coffee with less side effects. I take one teaspoon a day. Raw cacao is not the same thing as cocoa powder which is roasted and fermented. Raw cacao has to be regulated (dosage) as it is a drug like coffee. (Besides that I know it can't be the same because I am allergic to chocolate!)

I get Navitas Naturals, Cacao Power, Certified Organic, 16 oz (454 g) from iherb.com. I started out at 1 T. per day and must have been deficient in some things because now my doctor changed it to 1 t. per day.

I have also heard of GABA working for some people. I used to take it as a replacement for the prescription drug Neurontin. They have it in chewable form for kids.

Iced tea seems to work better than anything for DD. I am afraid to give her cacao as you really don't want to miss a dose.

My son drank one 16 oz mug of strong coffee fairly quickly. The effect was almost immediate--he was obviously buzzed. He got through his work without being distracted or distracting, which was definitely the coffee doing its job. His mood was good all morning and he was hungry for lunch.

The downside is that today is our first day of school. The novelty combined with the fact that we aren't up to a full load could have had a positive effect on his ability to focus.

But it's encouraging!

We have just completed our 1st week of this, so I'll share how it went.

We have not had any of the major meltdown, frustration, "I just can't do it!!!" fits. Yeah!!! All work has been getting done, which is huge.

If I miss the lunch time coffee break...our afternoons are a mess! Bouncing of the walls!!! I take them out to the farm, to run and ride horses and it doesn't matter :glare:. So, haven't been able to perfect the doseing schedule...but seeing the confidence in my sons is wonderful!

Good news all around! Excellent!

One day with coffee for us yesterday. The big dd got her work done but got hung up on little things like deciding she didn't like the notation in her algebra 2 book, my choice of progression in the lesson, and the fact that Easy Grammar Ultimate was making her write participial phrases, present and past, using the word "drink." She didn't approve of having to write "drunk" as in "drunk and disorderly." These snags and the frustration that went along with them really slowed us down. Aaarrggh!

Thinking about giving another younger one a nice cup of tea...

He drank the same amount, same strength. He added a *third* heaping spoonful of sugar and decided that that was enough (thank goodness!). He seemed to like the taste a little more today (I wonder why).

He seemed a bit more scattered today, getting out of his seat and making random noises. But he finished his work in a reasonable amount of time.

The true test will come when we come up to full speed next week. At the moment he is not doing Latin, state history, or any writing at all.

DS/10 hates the taste so I guess I will have to try some of the other choices mentioned here. He almost gagged when I said he had to drink it all.

This was our issue too! He is severely allergic to milk also so my choices are getting narrower. I worry about some of the sodas because of the amount of sugar. Anyone have any other ideas?

(My brother who is really allergic to milk also has recommended we don't do any chocolate-flavored things, even if it doesn't have milk. He did that and now has a REALLY hard time saying "no" to chocolate. With the ADHD their impulse control isn't the best lol. You would think bro. would learn from the reaction!)

This was our issue too! He is severely allergic to milk also so my choices are getting narrower. I worry about some of the sodas because of the amount of sugar. Anyone have any other ideas?

Have you tried coconut milk? I buy it in the refrigerated section. It is really good! I would make up a serving of instant coffee using about 2 T. water instead of the whole cup. I would add sugar, add coconut milk and heat. We call it a poor man's latte! You could also do the same thing but with a chai tea bag rather than coffee.

(My brother who is really allergic to milk also has recommended we don't do any chocolate-flavored things, even if it doesn't have milk. He did that and now has a REALLY hard time saying "no" to chocolate. With the ADHD their impulse control isn't the best lol. You would think bro. would learn from the reaction!)

Diet Coke, tea. Here is a chart showing how much caffeine is in various things so you can pick your dosage.:001_smile:

http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm

I have a good friend who is a manager at Starbucks. To give you hope, I'll tell you that he has said he's seen parents with ADD/ADHD kids come into the store, kids are jumpy, etc, then they drink the coffee and he's literally seen them calm down. So, we know it DOES work. May it work for your son, as well!

Hi everyone. I think this will be my first post *waves*. I just started this the other day when I surfed the web looking for some changes for my son.

I am seeing a vast difference in my son's ability to concentrate. We have only been homeschooling for a few months and we are at the 'Nope, not doing anything stage':glare: so we are yet to try it with schoolwork. Lucas focused on so many of his backyard building projects, and he stayed focused! I am only in my 3rd day so I am still trying to assess what I am seeing but hopefully will have more good news to report in coming weeks.

I had asked about this on another non-homeschooling board I belong to and got a few of the following suggestions. I'm not sure we have a lot of these products in Australia but they may be helpful to you:001_smile: I am going to get some of the chocolate covered beans definitely!

Beef jerky with caffiene in it

Chewable caffiene pills

"Clif Shots" athlete type gummy chews with electrolytes have one flavor that has enough caffiene in it to equal 2 shots of espresso

Chocolate covered coffee beans

I have seen no indication that the coffee is keeping my son up. I have always looked strangely at people who tell me caffeine keeps them up:D, it makes no difference to me and it doesn't seem to worry my son either.

ETA I have been mixing up the brewed coffee with a chocolate protein shake and my son thinks it's disgusting but he has asked for his coffee because he likes how it makes him feel. I am going to try chilling an espresso shot and letting him take it that way, quickly and it's over with and then make him the choc protein shake.

Edited by ~cindy~

Guest doramider7
My son has agreed to try coffee instead of Adderall. We start school tomorrow. I got this chocolate flavored stuff that I hope he likes. I'll post with results throughout the week.

Aside from the fact that Adderall is essentially legal speed, my son doesn't tolerate it very well. We have to use what seems to be a barely effective dose to keep the side effects somewhat contained. He gets very cranky and simply not fun to be around when he's taken it, and he won't eat. He's so skinny and growing so fast that this is not a good thing.

I'm hoping that the caffeine is able to help as much as the really low dose of Adderall he is on but without the side effects.

I am going to watch this with great interest!

ETA I have been mixing up the brewed coffee with a chocolate protein shake and my son thinks it's disgusting but he has asked for his coffee because he likes how it makes him feel. I am going to try chilling an espresso shot and letting him take it that way, quickly and it's over with and then make him the choc protein shake.

Excellent point! I often forget this but all of the studies that have had success have used protein shakes and coffee together. My nutritionist suggested a highly digestable protein as the first thing to try. It is found in GR2 control and Nourishake (the products that I use and are highly digestable for my diseased digestive tract).

The coffee may work a bit, but not enough. We will be going back to Adderall on Monday.

:(

I am sorry it stopped working. We had a similar experience of it working for only a short time. Try the protein.:D

The coffee may work a bit, but not enough. We will be going back to Adderall on Monday.

:(

The caffeine isn't consistent enough, I imagine. Sometimes the coffee brews stronger, sometimes weaker - I can't seem to keep it consistent.

:grouphug:

My ds has a psych appt. Thursday, so we'll see what she has to say.

What about fish oil and B vitamins with your doctor's ok at higher doses than the RDA? It may be worth a try:) I am sorry if I am redundant at all.

I am going to be going to a naturopath in the near future and if I like her, I will see if she can help with this problem.

Guest teresap989

DS and I are going to make coffee tonite and then put creamer in it and a little hershey's syrup. I am going to put it in the frig and then add ice tomorrow morning and make him an iced coffee. I also bought some coke for him to drink in the afternoon, maybe not as much caffeine but it maybe enough to get him through his afternoon schoolwork.

Raw vegan chocolate? That stuff packs a punch. :drool5: It's a bit pricey to buy, but I don't know how it works out if you make your own. Peela has posted some recipes on here somewhere, so she'd know.

Rosie

Really strong chocolate, whether raw or not (though raw is much healthier) gives me a buzz, so it woudl be better than nothing. I do have a recipe if you are interested.

I have tried the coffee thing with my son, who is more spacey/unfocused than hyper, and I think it has helped him to concentrate. He makes his own iced coffees, and also his sister, who is a coffee addict with no excuse except she is not a morning person:001_rolleyes:, will often make him a cafe latte in the mornings.

Its hard to say what works around here. Ds14 seems to be maturing rapidly and I am beginning to think he might turn out ok after all :001_smile:. We also moved him into the dining room for school, where he is not as distracted by dd16 and I...that seems to have helped...I keep tweaking his structure and program, and sometimes that helps....he doesnt have coffee every day any more but it was one thing of many we have tried and who knows, maybe its still a key and I haven't noticed.

He does like those terrible energy drinks though...but he tends to buy them at the local deli when he has friends over. They don't seem to hype him up though he doesnt sleep well after one (unsurprisingly).