Menu

VENT. Why would an Emergency Room Dr. order a $100 script for a family they know is..

uninsured?

I spent all of last night in the ER with my DH. After 2 IV antibiotics, he was sent home with scripts for 2 diuretics and 1 oral antibiotics. The antibiotic was over $100.

Are you kidding me? Even one of the diuretics was over $60.

I left the antibiotic at CVS.

uninsured?

I spent all of last night in the ER with my DH. After 2 IV antibiotics, he was sent home with scripts for 2 diuretics and 1 oral antibiotics. The antibiotic was over $100.

Are you kidding me? Even one of the diuretics was over $60.

I left the antibiotic at CVS.

You can request the generic version from the pharmacy. It should be a lot cheaper.

They're probably getting some kickback for pushing a new med.

Gosh, that was pretty brutal sounding, but hey, it's probably not untrue!

Actually, they probably aren't. That would be highly illegal. More than likely, the drug rep was just in and the doctor remembered the name of the medication. He probably has no idea what it costs. Truly.

More disturbing to me is that the pharmacy didn't call the ER on your behalf and get a prescription for a less expensive medication that would be equally effective. T

Request a generic, or call the ER or your dr and ask for an inexpensive substitute.

They're probably getting some kickback for pushing a new med.

Gosh, that was pretty brutal sounding, but hey, it's probably not untrue!

No, probably untrue.

ER docs are often busy and just scribble away at the med that will hit the target. The only reason I know the price difference between cipro and bactrim is that I have to work with a strict formulary, and the price is right there in front of me.

Many people want the expensive stuff, as it is so easy: two

Where I am, the pharmacist will call while you are still in the store and say "We've got a situation here". At the hospital where I used to be a hospitalist, there were charity organizations whom the social worker could call and see if they had funds for an Rx. Our local Catholic Services rocked.

:grouphug: Meds are expensive. Many people out here get them from outside the US.

If he had to get to it I.V. in the ER I would imagine he had a pretty bad infx and would need some pretty potent. I'm sure the ER doc was trying to prescribe what would work the most effectively and sometimes the cost isn't on their mind.

I saw this when Rocephin (ceftriaxone) first came out.

Sometimes the pharmacist can call for you to get it changed if there's something equivalent but if there's not....

Edited by cjbeach
sick kid ON me...ignore grammar please

Definitely call back and explain and ask them if they can prescribe something cheaper, or if they can give you samples!

Out here samples have become rare. We are required to track the lot number in case there is a recall, etc. Many offices do not bother with samples anymore. Our contact with reps, even in our time off, is severely limited by regs and house staff rules (if you want to admit patients to a certain hospital, you have to agree to abide by their ethics rules). I'm perfectly happy with it.:) No more being chatted up by someone who seems so friendly, but then starts the "full court press".

ERs, IME, never have closets of samples.

If he had to get to it I.V. in the ER I would imagine he had a pretty bad infx and would need some pretty potent. I'm sure the ER doc was trying to prescribe what would work the most effectively and sometimes the cost isn't on their mind.

:iagree: The doctor was doing his job. The cost isn't his worry.

Well, I had the opposite problem with ER a few years ago. After all night figuring out that my daughter had a strain a strep that was going around but presented atypically, they prescribed amoxicillin. It was cheap, but my daughter ended up with scarlet fever since it also did not kill off the strep. A much more expensive - but also more effective against the resistant strep - scrip finally cured it. My daughter, however, was much sicker and for much longer than was necessary as a result of the ER trying to save money on the original scrip. And, of course, we ended up with the ore expensive one anyway, along with more visits to the doc.

So, they might be prescribing a newer, more expensive med without a generic just because so many things are resistant to the older, less expensive antibiotics. And the ER doc is probably too busy to really think about the cost.

I know my Dh knows which meds are expensive and which ones are not. He actually gets a bonus for prescribing cheaper meds like Amoxicillin. From what my hubby says each Doc has meds that they commonly prescribe for certain illnesses. I bet the Doc was doing just that. There are best practice recommendations for which antibiotic is for what type of infection. If your Dh was in the Er he most likely has an infection that needed a stronger antibiotic, which would cost more.

Sheri

Call you GP, see if he/she has gotten the ER visit notes and can prescribe something less expensive or even give samples.

If the PCP can do this without requiring you to come in for a visit -- :iagree:.

I can see the PCP getting a $4 generic at Walmart, for example.

Er docs do not know how much these scripts cost. Always ask if there's something on walmarts $4 list that will work.

Yup -- I am uninsured with 2 rare diseases. I always squawk at the doc for generic as it is self pay. Most cases, if it is not available as generic, the doc is kind and gives out samples. I bet the ER doc had no clue how pricey the script was.

We had that happen once. Ds was sick and needed antibiotics. We went to pick up the script. $169.00, which we didn't even have at the time. Called the doctor back and were able to go get some samples. He knew we were uninsured too. Seriously I really think he just didn't have a clue how much they cost.

I have no clue what most meds cost. I know in general that some are generic (like amoxicillin) and others are not and are likely more expensive. But the cost will vary by what insurance the person has or if they are self-pay. I think most docs don't know that info, unless it's for meds they prescribe quite frequently or they've had patients complain about. I'm always happy to change the med to a cheaper one if there is one that is as effective if a patient points out what it cost. There is a med that I used to prescribe quite frequently but had no clue that it was very expensive until I had to get it for my own son, I was shocked that it cost what it did and was much more likely to try and find an alternative if I could after that.

So, I think it's probably more ignorance than insensitivity.

IDK, but why in the world did the ER bill my insurance company 20.00 for one dose of infant's acetaminophen drops (generic, at that)? Seriously. Twenty dollars.

For the same reason that the hospital added a circumcision charge to my bill when I gave birth to my daughter in 1992. Blue Cross/Blue Shield didn't even care, and I was too stupid at the time to make a fuss. It was years later that I realized I paid 20% of that bill and therefore 20% of a circumcision that didn't happen. Duh.