Menu

If I don't write my final paper...

I'll get a C in the class.

They give Bachelors degrees to C students just as readily as A students, don't they? I have straight A's so far, just one C won't hurt. And no, I could care less about keeping up my record.

It's due Monday. It's on the death penalty. I don't want to write it. I'm tired. Tell me it's ok not to write it!

Ok, what would you do? (remember you're me and I'm really, really tired.)

I'll get a C in the class.

They give Bachelors degrees to C students just as readily as A students, don't they? I have straight A's so far, just one C won't hurt. And no, I could care less about keeping up my record.

It's due Monday. It's on the death penalty. I don't want to write it. I'm tired. Tell me it's ok not to write it!

Ok, what would you do? (remember you're me and I'm really, really tired.)

Depends. How long is it supposed to be?

Check your syllabus first. Some instructors have a note that says all work must be completed to avoid an incomplete or F. If that's not the case, you can skip the paper - but it may be better to turn in a poor paper and get a grade on it rather than not turn in anything and get a 0.

I once enrolled in a course to keep a scholarship and stay full-time. I took it pass/fail and intended to fail - never went to class. It was a large lecture (over 800 students) and no discussion sections, so my presence or absence shouldn't have been noted. I was given an incomplete. :confused:

I'd make a stab at the paper. It would bother me to not turn anything in. It might not be my finest work, but I would do it. That said, I slacked on the finals of some of my least favorite classes and ended up with bad grades and didn't care. They were good enough to graduate and who really needs pre calculus to practice social work anyway?:tongue_smilie: Overall, my undergrad GPA was good enough, combined with my test scores, to get into grad school. Mission accomplished.:001_smile:

This is the final paper? How much other work was involved in the course?

As an instructor I would look at your attendance, previous work and attitude in class before I assigned your grade. If your work was "A" level and your attendance and participation were good I would assume something was amiss and give you an incomplete. I like to give my students the benefit of the doubt, especially when I know they are parents, have full time jobs, etc.

If your class history was spotty and there were other missing assignments I would give you the grade you earned, whether that was an F or a C.

I would rather grade a student's rushed, cruddy paper then not have anything to grade at all.

If you choose not to submit the paper, please contact your instructor and let him or her know. I think that would be the courteous thing to do.

---

As a student I would write the paper. I have never been able to walk away from an assignment.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I am currently sitting at my computer using the WTM forum to procrastinate a 20 page paper on Roman Economic Policies for a graduate class....:tongue_smilie: I feel your pain. We have to get B's to pass :(

I think you should try to turn something in - even if it is cruddy - you want to avoid an incomplete....

What would you advise your child to do in your shoes?

Whatever advice you'd most likely give to your child, you should follow yourself.

Personally, I'd write the paper. You can rest when it's done. Push through; school is a test of stamina not brains.

Well, as an undergrad in my 20s I would have turned in something, even a late something and not worried about my GPA. As long as I graduated right?? But then years later I decided to earn my Masters degree and missed a huge scholarship that was based on my Bachelor's GPA. My recommendation is to write the paper, get it over with, and try to make that high GPA. You never know when you will need it in the future.

I would consider the example I want to set for my children. Do I want them to do the bare minimum? Would I be proud of them saying, "C's Get Degrees"?

I'm applying to grad school. I'm glad I put in a bit more effort as at least I don't have to worry about GPA. (It's so much harder to go back and try to fix a lagging GPA after the fact!)