Menu

how do you stop searching?!?!?!

Leimarie

We've just begun our first year of homeschooling, problem is I can't stop looking at different sites and reading about more options... ugh!

We are using for all:

TOG Y1 (Unit 1 has already been purchased)

REAL Science Odyssey - Life

For our K-er:

OPGTR for my 5yo

R&S ABC set

The Letter People

Hooked on Handwriting

For our 1st-grader:

R&S Beginning Arithmetic

FLL 1

SWO A

HWT Printing

For our 3rd-grader:

R&S English 3

Singapore Math 3A (and Extra practice 2 to help him transition to this type of math)

HWT Cursive

SWO C

I also have a 3yo and an almost-2yo. Now I've found Right Start Math and Heart of Dakota and I'm second guessing my plan.

HELP!!!!!!! How do you keep yourself from traveling that spiral?

I know this isn't easy and might not be met with a lot of woohoos from others, but one way that has helped is spending less time here. Come when you NEED a review of something or are looking for advice on something but try not to just browse. I was driving myself crazy looking at it all, so I quit and just started using what I had already. If that isnt working for a subject I will come back to the drawing board at that time. Try what you already have and see if you Need to switch. Kinda a don't fix what isn't broke mentality I guess. HTH. Just my 2 cents

LOL! It's hard sometimes. And everyone here is always sharing some great new thing they love and it's like the group jumps on it and you feel the pull and then it's another item and you feel the pull.

I have a spreadsheet for long term plans. I research ALL I can find for the subject and put my best choice in the box for that child and year. Below I make notes about why I didn't like a certain program. otherwise I keep going back to look over and over and over. Rule some out right now.

And honestly, there is more than one thing you could choose but at some point you pick something and stick with it for a few years. Then go play with something new :-)

Yeah, this is our second year of homeschooling and I just now settled on a Math Plan for my kids - after trying 3 different programs. It's rough. I really think it takes a few years to work out the kinks.

Oh, and then there's all the wonderful curricula out there - like Oak Meadow - that I really want to use, but can't afford. LOL! :lol: Oh, well. Sigh. :001_smile:

I know this isn't easy and might not be met with a lot of woohoos from others, but one way that has helped is spending less time here.

:iagree: After this horrific Texas heat blows away, I'm definitely going to spend less time online. :D

I have a spreadsheet for long term plans. I research ALL I can find for the subject and put my best choice in the box for that child and year. Below I make notes about why I didn't like a certain program. otherwise I keep going back to look over and over and over. Rule some out right now.

Thanks for this idea. I've been second guessing myself too - I like the idea of doing long-term planning at the same time as getting ready for the current year. :)

The key is consistency. When you find something that works -- QUIT SEARCHING AND QUIT SWITCHING! I think flip-flopping from program to program is such a lousy way to spend your precious homeschooling years.

I say this from experience, by the way. Happy to be back using Oak Meadow again. Worst mistake I ever made was to stray away from it in the first place.

I totally understand! Especially my first year homeschooling I was always finding something else that was even "better"!

I would set aside some time to browse to become more educated. I called that my Degree in Education. ;) There's nothing wrong with learning what others are doing and how you could do better.

BUT then...mediate that by switching gears and get into your teaching. It's a different part of my brain that works to be aware of what is working HERE and FOR MY children and our homeschool.

Someone said that "Any curriculum can work if you make it work"...which brings me to my next "aha" moment. I realized that there is never going to be one perfect curriculum that works for ALL my children EVERY year ALL the time. So I need to really dig into what I have and make it work. Then when I'm done I re-evaluate, which is when all my saved "favorites" and all the info I've acquired comes into play.

I have a friend who basically changes whatever she needs to every year without worrying about it...but through doing that she has also found certain "keepers" that work for them...so she doesn't look at those categories anymore. That's nice when that happens. I have a couple of those subjects. You'll get there, don't worry. :)

Either that or you will one day get so sick of the process that you will just say "Enough!" That will also happen. :D

Also keep in mind that it make take a few years to figure out what works well for each of your children and works well with your teaching style and desires. Expect to make some mistakes on curriculum choices along the way, it just happens. You have to get to know your childrens learning styles as you go along. Don't doubt your choices for this year - use them but along the way figure out if they are working or not and keeping in mind where you might need to make changes next year. If it works don't change just because someone says something else is better. You can go broke if you keep doing that, and your children will have no consistancy in their education. But having said that still remember everything you chose won't be a perfect fit and you will need to change some things along the way. Oh and the reason you can't quit looking is because it is addictive!!

The key is consistency. When you find something that works -- QUIT SEARCHING AND QUIT SWITCHING! I think flip-flopping from program to program is such a lousy way to spend your precious homeschooling years.

I agree. I am resistant to trying new things:tongue_smilie:so this actually works for me in the no switcheroo with curriculum department. I have also been fortunate in receiving some very good recommendations early on as we were just beginning and have stuck with most of them. I also have a homeschooling mentor/friend whose opinion I value, so I ask her when I need a specific rec. That is less overwhelming than getting 100 people's recommendations and has worked well for me and my kids.

I have also accepted that there are many wonderful curriculums out there that we will never lay a hand on. Choices are good. :D Give yourself some time to settle in and truly evaluate whether or not your curriculum works for you and your kids. Tweak as needed and dont' be afraid to start from scratch if something truly doesn't work for you...but don't feel the need to get the "latest and greatest" stuff out there.

Once you get started. . . I'd suggest simply not reading the sites, the books, etc for a while. Just focus on enjoying your journey and making it the best you can. Take the extra time you save (by not reading/surfing) to prepare cool activities, etc exploring the curricula you have selected.

(It looks to me like you have a lovely plan!)

So, enjoy, explore, try to make it work the best you can. Make your days enjoyable. If you have spare time, do fun stuff -- science experiments, play dates, nature study, cooking together, crafts, art. . . with *stuff you already own*. Most curricula can/will work just great if you give it the attention it deserves (read through the Teacher's info. . . Preview the later chapters, etc.)

In a few months, if you are unhappy with something. . . or feel something is lacking. . . Then come back here or somewhere else or pick up WTM and look for options to solve that one problem. . . But, don't look for the "next best thing" unless you actually are finding that what you have chosen is not working for your family!

Don't fix it if it isn't broken!

HTH

I feel your pain. I am hsing my 1st grader and 4 year old and this is my first year using the WTM. I thought I had it organized to work for our family and my kids' needs and then I started reading here and wondering if I wasn't doing enough or doing too much or should I look into this or that.

Then I realized that different families have different needs/time constraints/passions and what works for one or thirty doesn't work for all of us. So, I look here as needed, but just assume that if we're having fun and they're learning and meeting goals, we must be doing it just right for us!

I found something I love. Really love. I'm REALLY HAPPY with the curriculum I chose- I enjoyed doing it last year, I look forward to doing it this year, and so do the kids.

Therefore, I usually don't even bother reading threads about other curricula. I have no interest in switching, being tempted by something else, spending money I don't need to spend, piling one curriculum on top of another, wondering if the grass is greener on the other side, or anything of the sort.

:)

I know this isn't easy and might not be met with a lot of woohoos from others, but one way that has helped is spending less time here. Come when you NEED a review of something or are looking for advice on something but try not to just browse. I was driving myself crazy looking at it all, so I quit and just started using what I had already.
:iagree:

Guest Cindie2dds

I say this from experience, by the way. Happy to be back using Oak Meadow again. Worst mistake I ever made was to stray away from it in the first place.

I agree with the lovely Audrey. I flip flopped quite a bit, but I am happily committed now. Nothing will be perfect, but the grass is rarely greener.

If something is working for me, then I don't look for other things in that area. If something is new and I'm not sure if it will work or not, then I read threads about people using it to get a better feel for how to make it work for my family. I give things a good half a year before giving up on them usually (except for the rare total failure, LOL! But those are few as I look at samples in person or online whenever possible).

Don't open and read threads about curriculum you aren't using that you don't need an alternative for, until you are getting ready to shop for the next year. By then you'll have a feel for what you love & what you don't!

Merry :-)

Click on Start.

Click on Turn Off Computer.

Hit Turn Off.

Then throw out all the catalogs.

Go play.

Amazing how well that works for me. :D

Daisy you are a crack-up! :smilielol5: I found this out when my computer crashed. I didn't miss anything. For 3 weeks...nada, nothing.

For me, I find this very common. I've been homeschooling for six years and, although it still happens to me, I find it happening less and less. I also think its good to do, IF you can afford it, IF you can prevent yourself from buying everything, and IF what you are using now isn't working. (Ask me how I know? :blushing: ) It's a great way to learn what works for you, the teacher, and for each of your children, who may have different styles.

Something that helped me is to keep a notebook with each subject on its own page. I wrote down what I was using currently and wrote down the pros/cons of it. Then at the bottom half of the page, I wrote down curriculums I'd like to try and their possible pros/cons. If the one I was using didn't work for us well, I looked at my list and moved on to the next. I also could take my lists to convention and look, in person, at each of the ones I'd really like to try sometime.

Like another poster said, I, too, have a long term idea of what I'd like to accomplish. Nothing fancy at all, for example, 2010 RS D, 2011 RS E, 2012 Pre-Alg, etc. I have this for each of the 5 main subjects and a few electives. I change this constantly by the way. :) But it keeps me on the right path.

I also think when their young and we are first starting out homeschooling, we worry over getting it "just right". Trust me when I say, children are very flexible and can handle mistakes without it derailing their entire educational process. (Again, ask me how I know?) Sometimes the mistakes teach us so much in return.

Good luck, and don't forget to ENJOY the journey!!!

Hi Lisa,

My husband has emphasized to me to try to prepare our kids for real life. This of course includes teaching them math and reading, etc., but most importantly teaching them how to respond when they find something that they don't like.

My husband has encouraged me to try to find a way to make those things enjoyable-bite off small pieces, do it in a different way...etc. learning to be resourceful and work with what we have.

I know this is a great lesson for my kids-and I believe it will serve them better than to have had the perfect curricula.

I think we can get creative and use things in different ways, and certainly listen to them about what is hard for them-and encourage them and look for ways to make it easier/more fun/ or at least more calm.

I realize sometimes this is easier said than done, especially when we are sleep deprived.

But this helps me not to worry too much about finding a specific curricula.

All the best to you,

Jenny

This might sound simplistic or easier said than done, but just STOP. Don't read threads about curriculum you don't use. Don't go search for the newest and greatest of anything. Only switch curriculum if something is truly not working. I have BTDT with curriculum obsession and after years of buying and selling I have finally been in a groove with most things. I did switch to TOG this year for practical reasons and I am at peace. I just don't read about other stuff anymore. Good luck!

Oh, I know the feeling! I spent our entire first year questioning, searching and buying. But by the end of that year, I'd found many things that worked for us.

I know it's tempting, but stay away from the K-8 forum for a while. Give the curricula you have now a chance. If your kids have attended public school, know that it's going to take a while for them to adjust to a new way of learning and any bumps in the first year may not be due to curriculum choices but a new situation.

We're starting or third year of homeschooling and, even though I've found things that work well, I still get sucked in to buying something from time to time (MCT, anyone?). For the most part, though, I tell myself that what we're doing works and that's enough to keep me from placing another order.

HELP!!!!!!! How do you keep yourself from traveling that spiral?

Go read your kids a book. Go on a nature walk. Play a game. Seriously, spend time living with your kids, not planning to be with them.

There is no perfect curriculum. There is stuff that is on the whole better and less good. But there is a huge median of material and plans and programs that might work equally well, might work better for one family than another, or better for one child than another or better one year than another.

Our family has had few constants. We're still using Saxon math happily. And while I occasionally flirt with other programs, I haven't found that what we're doing is inadequate enough to merit the change. Same with handwriting.

Newer isn't always better. More planned out isn't always better (I find that I sometimes pay for a lot of discussion questions and other programming that I never even look at). More popular isn't always better (there are fashions in homeschooling just as there is in clothing).

Think hard about the background of the person making the recommendation. Do they have the same goals that you do? Have they used the product for a year or a couple years with satisfaction, or are they anticipating liking it or liking it after a few weeks or a month?

I look at your list and think that you have a pretty good plan. I don't think that I would set about changing it until you've got a couple months of learning how to make it work. This is your first year and your children are young. You are ages away from needing to make transcripts. So use what you have already researched and planned for. At the end of the year, before you go researching new stuff, think about what has worked and what hasn't. If you have already identified what styles and approaches you like, then you'll spend less time and less money on research and buying things that work well for others but less well for you.

I agree, it's so overwhelming! This is our first year too, we're just heading into a K curriculum. I was agonizing over what to use for math... yeah, for my 4.5 year old.:001_rolleyes: There's a great bit in the WTM right after the math programs for the grammar stage are discussed. Basically what I got from that was to pick something and only switch if it's just not working. If it works, don't worry about what everyone else is doing... if it's not a good fit, figure out why and find something else regardless if it works wonderfully for other people. I already have to think like that about all the subjects now or I'll drive myself crazy.

I got my first Sonlight catalog in the mail last night and could feel all those doubts creeping in... "oh my, I should've done THIS". :D But I'm determined to try out why I picked for this year... I picked everything for a reason after all. If you keep hearing/reading about something fabulous, maybe just make a note of it for next year. Chances are by then it might not be the latest and greatest after all.

I have a hard time too, but mostly in person, not on the boards. :001_unsure:

Like a previous poster, I have a spreadsheet for curriculum that looks interesting with a tab for each subject. Whenever I find something new (like LoF for example), I jot it down. I might research it a little and put some extra information (what grade range is applicable, how much it costs, the learning style from Cathy Duffy, what people like about it). That helps me feel like I won't "loose" the info and I can choose to use it in the future if I want. Kind of empowering.

IMO, try to stick with what you have for this year unless it just isn't working. Then you can pick from your list of goodies for next year. :001_smile:

You either get to a point where you say: "what I have is good enough" or you find the curriculum that is the right fit.

I did a lot of trying new things the first 5 years or so then I decided to try something I wanted to use orgionally and it turned it it was exactly what I had been trying to recreate the last 5 years.

Also, rather than listen to everyone else go with your instinct or where you feel like God is leading you. Pray about it. And you will know what is right for you and your family.

By the way, a lot of people try a lot of different stuff the first 2 years until they feel comfortable homeschooling.:001_smile:

I'll be the odd ball here...

I will search until I find what fits my child! Thankfully it hasn't taken alot of un-needed expense but I did search even when I had what I wanted to use that year "set in stone" per say.

I've realized that even though one program I bought for BOTH of my kids it'll only fit perfect with one and I'll need to find something else for my other...however until I have it picked out and saved the funds I teach it differently for my other child. If that makes any sense

I know that last year we went through a HUGE revamp and even though it was TONS of fun, TONS of un-budgeted expense at that time..it worked out PERFECTLY for our school.

I think in some regard you will be forever on the hunt for what works in some areas for your child(ren)...but as long as it's done in a healthy manner I see no harm. If you have curriculum that you haven't even tried and given it a good standing chance and find yourself searching online then i def. have to agree with Daisy's plan! :lol:

If you enjoy reading and learning about different curriculum, I don't see a problem with that. I would recommend that you keep a spreadsheet with the names of the ones you are interested in and their pros and cons or you'll end up constantly chasing your own tail! Plus, if something you're currently using doesn't work out for you, you have a ready list of viable alternatives.

However, if you are constantly searching because you are hoping to find the Magic Curricula Unicorn that is perfect in every single possible way, you are wasting your time. There are many great options out there, but no perfect ones! :001_smile:

I know this isn't easy and might not be met with a lot of woohoos from others, but one way that has helped is spending less time here.

So true. This place is addictive, you get to talk to others in the same boat but their boat isn't the same...they are not YOU and their kids are not YOURS. What fits for one may not fit another but they LOVE it, it has saved their sanity, budget, etc.

My advice, fwiw, come here when you need situational help, stay away from curriculum posts unless it is to share your experience with the curriculum in question.

If you participate in this board too much, you will spend too much money, lose valuable time and feel unsettled. Focus on what's important- what's going on at home and in your homeschool. No one on the board will be there when you're teaching your kids, no one on the board will be teaching your kids but you or living on your budget.

Save your curriculum switches for the end of the year. Make notes about what you might like, what it costs, how you think it will help. Give yourself time to change your mind before changing something. Use what you got and be invested in using it, at least until the end of the year.

Don't know if this helps, just lessons I learned from being a board/curriculum junkie...:001_huh:

So true. This place is addictive, you get to talk to others in the same boat but their boat isn't the same...they are not YOU and their kids are not YOURS. What fits for one may not fit another but they LOVE it, it has saved their sanity, budget, etc.

My advice, fwiw, come here when you need situational help, stay away from curriculum posts unless it is to share your experience with the curriculum in question.

If you participate in this board too much, you will spend too much money, lose valuable time and feel unsettled. Focus on what's important- what's going on at home and in your homeschool. No one on the board will be there when you're teaching your kids, no one on the board will be teaching your kids but you or living on your budget.

Save your curriculum switches for the end of the year. Make notes about what you might like, what it costs, how you think it will help. Give yourself time to change your mind before changing something. Use what you got and be invested in using it, at least until the end of the year.

Don't know if this helps, just lessons I learned from being a board/curriculum junkie...:001_huh:

Thanks!

I would say that in your first year, it is hard to know anything. What will or will not work. Luckily if they are young, it doesn't matter too much.

When something clicks, or just isn't horrible, you should stick with it. When the year is over, you can figure out if you need to look around. I enjoy looking for Curric. but it took me a long time to be able to figure out what needs to be present (or lacking )in a curric. to make it a definite yea or nay. I also find that people who like things that I like, tend to like things that I like. :lol: Therefore, I will look into something that someone who seems to have similar taste uses, but not someone who doesn't.

You figure it out as you go along.

When kids are young, I am not sure that formal curriculum matters quite as much. Math might be an exception. But the need to search for the right curriculum really ramps up by 4-6th grade. As the needs change.

I think it is an ever evolving issue. As everyone's need might change throughout a given period of time. If you buy a curric, and discover it is too far ahead or behind, you need to switch levels... not be stubborn about it becuase you bought it. I suppose I can apply that logic to a bad curriculum choice.

I have been fortunate in choosing my math correctly early on, and my LA is set until high school. I have found a great history. I still am open to supplements and other subjects... why? Not because I need to, but because I like to present things from other angles. I like having many sources to pull from and expose my kids to. I don't think that relying on one place for all info in a subject is necessarily good.

I don't think you should ever stop searching. You might come across the perfect thing for your family in XXX subject that you never knew existed. New products get written all the time. Your ideas and needs change.

You don't need to BUY everything you think sounds good. That is where you need to set up some bounderies. Also, finding things used to preview, then reselling them works pretty well. ;)

So, what did my rambling post say... :confused:

Click on Start.

Click on Turn Off Computer.

Hit Turn Off.

Then throw out all the catalogs.

Go play.

Amazing how well that works for me. :D

I say this from experience, by the way.