Menu

Hotel reservations necessary?

We'll be back in America in Sept. and Oct., and I'm really getting the itch to go on a road trip. I would like to be pretty spontaneous about the whole thing, though, just kind of wake up and decide what we feel like doing that day, if we want to stick around an extra day or move on, etc. Do you think we would need reservations during these months?

We would be one mom, one teen, and 4 kids 11 down to 2 (we can put all 6 of us in one hotel room with two double beds and maybe a sleeper, right?). I'm thinking of driving from Chicago to Niagara Falls, then to Boston, then down to Philadelphia and maybe on down to Williamsburg (I've been heavily influenced by the recent travel posts!) returning, of course, to Chicago eventually ;).

I'm not sure I'll actually have the energy to do this trip, but it just seems so appealing. Anyone want to offer reasons not to do a trip this way? As in, "We tried that and ended up sleeping in our car because there were no rooms available, so definitely make reservations," kind of tips? Also, what should I expect to budget for hotels in these areas?

:bigear: here!

We don't travel that much but when we do I always do the negotiating. I do one of two things:

1) If we have reason to want to stay in a specific hotel I phone ahead for reservations and deal directly with the actual front desk NOT an 800 number. Usually they can come up with some sort of special price just for the asking, especially if it is a non-peak day.

2) If we don't care where we stay we just wing it! I'll go in and talk to the front desk at a couple different places. As long as there are some competing hotels they usually come up with a special. If it's the only inn around or the weather is bad or there is an event in town the prices are usually firm.

If you have a smart phone and can shop rates from your car once you choose a town, I'd have little concern travelling that way. Especially if you have some flexibility about travelling on if the town you want is booked.

If you get exhausted/stressed and MUST have a room in Town A betwee 4 & 5 PM and it MUST have a pool . . . well, that'd be more stressful to me. But, if you feel flexible, you'll probably be fine. Especially with a smart phone. :) I want to get a smart phone before the kids and I do our big road trip next summer for exactly this reason. Though I am leaning towards an iPad instead, lol.

I've travelled that way cross country many times with no trouble in the day before cell phones. . . and with only a AAA guide (often a few years out of date) for the state I was visiting. . . One time we kept driving an extra few hundred miles b/c there was some massive sporting event or convention or something like that in the city we had planned to stay overnight in (on a cross country move). Obviously, we could have found a room within 50-100 miles if we'd wanted to, but we just kept going to the city we'd planned for the following night.

My only hesitation now is . . . are you going to end up really overpaying for the hotel room if you just walk in? I am so accustomed to hotwire/orbitz/etc that I'd feel nervous that I was getting overcharged. . . But, a smart phone would fix that problem! You could also just travel with your laptop and book the next night's room from the last night's room, keeping a day or two ahead of yourself. (Seems to me that all hotels have free WiFi now.)

Have fun!

We did a 2-week roadtrip last fall and did not book all of our hotel rooms.

It worked out fine for the most part (we did what a previous poster mentioned - looked up hotels along our route on DH's iPhone and called ahead from the road to book). Only ran into problems once when we tried to book a hotel room at 10pm one night in a small town in Utah, and it just happened to be the start of their annual "Melon Festival" (who knew?). :tongue_smilie: We drove to 5 different hotels in that town and every single one was booked solid.

So that night, we did have to drive for another 1.5 hours to the next major town that had hotel availability. But because it was so late at night (midnight by the time we checked in), my husband negotiated a 50% discount. So it all worked out!

we just finished an American road trip, on the road for over a month.:eek: We pretty muched winged it the entire time. Although we camped going east, we never got reservations at the KOAs and had no issues. Coming west, we made our reservations the morning of, again, no problems. I was actually rather surprised with it being summer and all. good luck and have fun! We had a blast, but are ready to go home.

Most hotels I know of have a maximum occupancy set for a room. Usually that is two adults and only two children. If you go over, you have to get another hotel room. You might want to check into this before you go.

:iagree:

The first time we tried to check into a single SUITE (2 double beds and a double pull-out couch... and I had a pack and play for the youngest!) with 4 kids, they gave us a hard time. Fortunately, my parents were staying in the same hotel, so 2 of the kids were checked in to their room.

Someone once posted a website for hotels that accommodate larger families. Anyone remember what it is?

Most hotels I know of have a maximum occupancy set for a room. Usually that is two adults and only two children. If you go over, you have to get another hotel room. You might want to check into this before you go.

When we went to IL last summer, we stayed at a Scottish Inn on the way up. We were able to get 2 rooms with connecting doors that gave us more room than the suite we reserved in IL.

:iagree: A few times, when we tried to plan a vacation, we were told our family of 6, two adults and 4 kids, needed to get two rooms. We actually rented a house instead but ended up cancelling last minute due to an unexpected surgery on my horse. $$$$$:svengo:

ETA fall time in New England is a huge time for tourists. I'm certain you could never get a room up north without reservations but maybe Boston will be fine?

I have to agree with what many have said - from the room needs to the smart phone.

With 6 of you in a room, they may have issues. And I've done a mini-suite (2 doubles and a pull out) and they gave me a hard time with 5. It just depends on the hotel chain I think.

Then we've not planned where to spend the night on the journey to somewhere. We get to a spot and then say "let's stop in an hour". I search hotels on my phone and then start calling them to see if they have rooms. And yes, I call the hotel not the 800 number. And I've gotten a good rate even without asking for it. I think I got the premium member price even though I'm not a premium member.

And the football games, especially watch out for homecoming. William and Mary's is Oct 21-22.

Have a great trip!

I agree that occupancy will be an issue for most hotel rooms, and without a second adult you don't have the flexibility of getting two rooms. You'll need to find hotels with suites that will sleep six people. It won't be impossible, but it will be trickier.

I'd also be cautious about winging it in New England in September and October. During peak foliage, you're likely to run into no room at the inn and also requirements that you stay at least two nights. Peak foliage periods usually last about two weeks and move (obviously) from north to south, so if you plan it, you can avoid peak foliage, but without planning you are likely to hit it.

We travel a lot. My husband goes on trips for business and we tag along. We usually have trouble finding a room if we do not reserve one in advance. And, with a tired, cranky family in the car who is ready to sleep, not finding a room has never been "no big deal... we'll just drive a little further." We still travel without firm plans... sometimes. But, we always keep in mind that those nights, we may have to travel a lot longer than we wanted to in order to find a room. That's just my experience.

We just traveled (like last week) to Chicago, St. Louis, Springfield, Tulsa... and then back home for work. We stayed in 11 or 12 hotels on that trip... I lost count. We "just showed up" to two hotels and neither of them had rooms. We had to drive on and call and find a hotel from the road on those occasions.

Some other nights, we called as we were driving, a few hours before we arrived somewhere, when it didn't matter where we stopped in between sites. That worked out okay. But, it was a pain to drive and call and drive and call back...

Of course, if you make reservations, you will have to pay attention to the policies and ask what they are and cancel on or by a certain time to get your money back, if you won't be showing for some reason.

But, with a trip like that, I'd make a tentative plan and make sure the hotels where you will be staying are central to where you want to be once you are in those places and that they have stores and restaurants around and are (probably most importantly) in your price range...

In my experience, you pay more (not less) when you have not reserved the room you had in mind in advance. The more expensive hotel next door always has rooms available. ;) ;)

Good luck!

Just did a road trip with my 4 to Chicago. We never had a problem with being able to find a room but we DID have to get 2 rooms at most hotels and most did not have roll aways---boys didn't want to share bed. Hope you have a grand time we are all ready planning our next trip to DC next year.:001_smile::001_smile:

I have had fairly good experiences winging it, but it was preferable to call from the car as we approached instead of just showing up (can get/negotiate rates and check that there's a vacancy). I have had a couple times where we couldn't get a room -- the worst time was when driving across one (not very populated but large) state, at every hotel along the highway, every room was occupied because of a kids' sporting event. It was a nightmare. Be prepared to be flexible!

Out of years of traveling all over the continental US and the eastern half of Canada, there's only been one night we've had to stay in the car. That was in Florida of all places... and that night was a rare one by all accounts (mainly motel folks we asked that night and the following day). That particular night was a cross with the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, and Spring Break. We still rather fondly talk about our night spent at the Steak and Shake! (But I wouldn't want to do it again!)

That said, what others have said is true. Beware of fall in the northeast - esp in rural areas where there aren't many options and beware of college towns when the football games are at home. Those can mean no rooms or very expensive rooms.

When we know where we're going to be or where we want to stay, we'll go with reservations just for the peace of mind. When we want to be "free" or aren't certain where we're going to be, we wing it. We do have a laptop computer with the internet on it (via air card) so we can look ahead instead of just seeing what's there when we get there. That way we can look at reviews and such too. It's not true that you always get the best rate by calling the motel. Several times we've seen a great rate online and called the specific motel (not 800 number) only to be told that rate is only available through Orbitz or Travelocity or whatever and they can't match it. It really surprises us when that happens, but it's happened more than once in different locations. Other times they can match it. I've never had a place beat the price that I can recall, but we've traveled so often that I might be forgetting something.

We can usually put our family of 5 in one room without any issues. Once in a while a motel is fussy about it due to state rules, but usually they overlook it (ie, don't care). I expect 6 would be a problem.

With the exception of football or leaf peeping, fall is a great time to travel without reservations. There are FAR fewer people traveling then. It's also more fun to visit places without the summer hoards.

I am the queen of just showing up at hotels. But, that time of year and that location it is not something I would be comfortable with. I'd try to get a room at least the night before.

Hotel rooms for 6. That can be a bit more difficult. You are going to need a suite with two doubles and a pullout sofa.

Having 6 people is going to be a problem. You'll need something more like a suites place.

I worked in hotels for years. Usually it's fire codes that make that into a hotel policy. I wouldn't have been able to sell you a room with 6 people. And telling me "Oh it's just the 5 of us and the baby." won't do it. The baby is still an occupant in the room.

I'd sell you adjoining rooms if I had them, but then that will double your price. So be prepared for that.

Most places won't let you fit six people in a room unless you have a suite (as a road-tripping family of six here I know this) BUT it is doable if you have a sleeping bag and one kid who can hang back or stay in the car at registration and sneak into the room separately. Most motels, if you call them on the phone, will be happy to find you joining rooms or at least rooms close together...of course you are paying for two rooms, then.

It is usually local fire codes saying how many people per room.

If you don't have it, get a AAA card (Automobile Club of America) it is about $70 a year but you will discounts on rooms, etc. AND can access their service to find rooms anywhere you go.

You can get maps and big fat paperback travel guides free with your AAA membership for every state - then can look up any city or town and see ranked listings with contact info for all the motels, hotels, restaurants. Another section will list area attractions. This can be a big help. That way you can plan NOT to end up some where devoid of accommodations.

Now that I reread your post - two rooms may not be an option if the teen is not 18. You will have to get suites, which are less common than single rooms, so I would not try and "wing it". We did get caught once trying to sneak the "spare" kid into the room and made to get two rooms. That worked only because we had two adults - one per room.

AAA may have all their info on-line by now, too - I am an old fart and only use their paperbacks to do my planning.

If you know the areas you will be headed, check out the local websites for possible big events those weekends. Our town has lots of hotels most any weekend - but there are about 5 when you won't find a hotel within 50 miles or more. If you know now when you will be traveling, look up the places you will be wanting to go and see what special events are scheduled. It may save a lot of headache.

We have often taken off on road trips. Sometimes finding a hotel is easy sometimes not. Now we make a tenative schedule a week or so before we leave (or even sooner if we know we are going to a tourist busy place). We start calling hotels on the route and making reservations. Sometimes finding a room or 2 M-Th is just as hard if you are going some place that attracts lots of business travelers.

If you find a chain you like and find to be fairly consistent from location to location, you can sometimes have the manager call ahead and help you reserve rooms. We have received great deals that way at least twice.

If you are chosing one because it has breakfast included, ask ahead what they call breakfast. That seems to vary widely from donuts, coffee, and juice to full spreads with waffles, eggs, and bacon.

If you can't find a hotel, you may want to consider a VRBO - A vacation rental by owner. We have friends who rent out homes to tourists. The price seems higher but there is usually lots more space for the price. There are also websites with listings and rental ratings.

Thank you so much, everyone, for all the great advice. We haven't travelled much in the United States, and anytime we have, it's worked out to just take an exit and get a room. Considering everything I've read here, that may not work, especially on the East Coast in the fall, and with a mom with 5 kids. So I am reconsidering this very fun idea . . .

The other thing is that the older kids are totally against it. Dd15 is afraid of so many hours in the car with ds2, and ds11 just wants to stay home and play, as do ds8 and ds5. Even dh has asked me to wait a year or two so he can come along, help out, and share the memories. So I don't think we will take this trip this year. Sigh.

Dd and dh both think it would be a good idea to do a few smaller road trips right in the Midwest this year, to get an idea of what travelling alone with the kids would be like, and to get some ideas of what might work well next year or the year after for a major road trip. That seems sensible.

But it really would be fun to do this trip, and I am sad it doesn't look like it will work out this year. I remember just hopping in the car with my parents growing up, and taking off for somewhere far away. But I was the youngest, and it was just my parents and I, so that made things a lot less complicated.

Ladies, thank you again so much for all the tips. I asked dh to read this thread so we can become familiar with the great resources you recommended. :)

If you know the areas you will be headed, check out the local websites for possible big events those weekends. Our town has lots of hotels most any weekend - but there are about 5 when you won't find a hotel within 50 miles or more. If you know now when you will be traveling, look up the places you will be wanting to go and see what special events are scheduled. It may save a lot of headache.

We have often taken off on road trips. Sometimes finding a hotel is easy sometimes not. Now we make a tenative schedule a week or so before we leave (or even sooner if we know we are going to a tourist busy place). We start calling hotels on the route and making reservations. Sometimes finding a room or 2 M-Th is just as hard if you are going some place that attracts lots of business travelers.

If you find a chain you like and find to be fairly consistent from location to location, you can sometimes have the manager call ahead and help you reserve rooms. We have received great deals that way at least twice.

If you are chosing one because it has breakfast included, ask ahead what they call breakfast. That seems to vary widely from donuts, coffee, and juice to full spreads with waffles, eggs, and bacon.

If you can't find a hotel, you may want to consider a VRBO - A vacation rental by owner. We have friends who rent out homes to tourists. The price seems higher but there is usually lots more space for the price. There are also websites with listings and rental ratings.

I echo the VRBO option. Traveling with five children on my own, would seem less stressful if you book a place for a week and throughly explore from one central spot. Homes/condos can often be found for the eqivalent price to 7 nights in a hotel (especially if you need 2 rooms). Also, you will save on dinning out by having a full kitchen.

Don't forget to check out corporate housing options in the bigger cities. They will often rent on a weekly basis with short term notice.

Also places like Residence Inn and other such places aimed at people who will be staying put for a while are nice; the rooms are much bigger, they often serve dinner during the week, and breakfast daily, with cooking facilities (inc pans and plates) in the room.

Also places like Residence Inn and other such places aimed at people who will be staying put for a while are nice; the rooms are much bigger, they often serve dinner during the week, and breakfast daily, with cooking facilities (inc pans and plates) in the room.

:iagree: We use Homewood Suites wherever possible, all of their rooms offer a bedroom, living room with sofabed, and a fully equipped kitchen with a full size fridge and pots and pans. On a long term stay we were able to negotiate a rate on a 2br (1 king bed, 2 queen beds, 1 sofa bed) down to around 90 a night (From around 190 a night). that included breakfast every day and dinner 4 days a week so we could factor that into our budget. Now admittedly, that was a LONG term stay at >1 month but that's a good example of what negotiating can get you).

I'm surprised that everyone is saying they've had problems with occupancy we have NEVER had a problem with that as long as we tell the front desk that all our kids are under 10. If you don't want to reserve far in advance, try calling a hotel near where you think you'll land around noon before all the road travelers start checking in - that way you guarantee they have something for you when you get there, but can be a little more spontaneous about it.

Have fun!!! :auto:

Edited by rfoster