Menu

Barnes & Noble Educators card

tarana

What did you present to get it?

They need some documentation to prove you are a educator (School Badge) or documentation from the state for homeschoolers.

Also at our store they had a open house for educators Aug 4th. They have lots & lots of new books, toys etc for kids & have doubled the kids section recently.

They said we needed a membership card or something from an organization when I first asked about the educator's card, but I told them we don't belong to any and it is not required in our state. They said to print a letter with a school letterhead stating we are a homeschool. When I took it back the next time, they accepted the letter without any problems.

I wasn't asked to present any form of id showing I was an educator, though I have heard it varies wildly between store location and employee.

I also have a B&N buyer's card. (The one that you pay a yearly membership.) I do get coupons for that one, but I have never gotten one as an educator. I was told the last time that they don't allow coupons or discounts on top of the educator's discount - but who knows?! I don't think they have any standard training for this issue! :tongue_smilie:

Has anyone been able to use the educator's card on music? I bought CDs recently for my son's music class and they said that music was not eligible for a teacher discount.

Has anyone been able to use the educator's card on music? I bought CDs recently for my son's music class and they said that music was not eligible for a teacher discount.

just found this at the website

• Discount not available on music, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, periodicals, gifts, the purchase or renewal of a B&N Membership, textbooks, gift-wrapping, Caf� items, the purchase of a Barnes & Noble Gift Card, gift certificates, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines and periodicals), certain digital devices; audiobooks in MP3 or any other format, shipping or handling expenses, or any products provided via BookQuest (e.g. used books, PC and video games, etc.).

• The Educator discount does not apply in conjunction with any other coupons, unless specifically noted, or with any corporate or prearranged group discounts such as the following: the Barnes & Noble Member Program; Barnes & Noble.com Professional, Technical and Business Bookstore discounts; employee discounts; Student Advantage discounts; in-store corporate, institutional, and volume discounts.

When I first tried to get a B&N educator card, my local store manager kept asking me for my teachers union membership card. I told her that we were homeschoolers and she said that was fine, but she still needed to see my teachers union membership card. :glare:

So... I visited another B&N in my area, and they said the same thing at first, but I explained that homeschool teachers aren't union members, so she said that she understood completely and that it was no problem at all, because I could just bring in a pay stub from my weekly paycheck instead. :ack2:

At the third B&N, we went through the union card and pay stub thing again, but then the light dawned and the woman realized what I was talking about. She said that I needed to bring documentation from the state that said we were homeschoolers. No such thing, I told her. Then, she said I could give her my homeschool organization membership card from the county, and I said that yes, I could do that.

Of course, there's no such thing.

But, apparently she didn't know that and I took full advantage of the situation. I went home and invented a particularly official-looking membership card on my computer, printed it out, laminated it, and back I went to B&N... and they gave me the card with no questions asked.

Ok, so it was dishonest, but there was no other way they were going to give me that card, and B&N corporate says that homeschoolers are entitled to them, so I fudged a little. Or a lot, depending on your perspective.

I wouldn't have done it if I didn't really qualify for the discount, but as a homeschooler, I do qualify, and I think it's ridiculous to have to jump through so many hoops for a small discount. I also think it's crazy that none of the store managers seem to have a clue, and that each store appears to set its own policies, despite the corporate info on the website. (I think the corporate website used to say that all you had to do was bring in a letter on your own letterhead that said you homeschooled, and that was all you needed. I don't know if that's still the policy.)

Anyway, if you go to B&N and you don't have any sort of state documentation, bring an official-looking membership card from a legitimate-sounding homeschool organization, and they will probably accept it.

Borders is much easier to deal with than B&N.

Cat

I could just bring in a pay stub from my weekly paycheck instead. :ack2:
:lol:

Sorry. That totally cracked me up!

On a good day, I would have replied that I was paid in hugs and kisses and could present a sticky peanut butter kiss mark on my cheek.

On a bad day... Well, I might have been tempted to dump a hamper full of dirty laundry at her feet.

just found this at the website

• Discount not available on music, DVDs, Blu-ray discs, periodicals, gifts, the purchase or renewal of a B&N Membership, textbooks, gift-wrapping, Caf� items, the purchase of a Barnes & Noble Gift Card, gift certificates, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines and periodicals), certain digital devices; audiobooks in MP3 or any other format, shipping or handling expenses, or any products provided via BookQuest (e.g. used books, PC and video games, etc.).
  • The Educator discount does not apply in conjunction with any other coupons, unless specifically noted, or with any corporate or prearranged group discounts such as the following: the Barnes & Noble Member Program; Barnes & Noble.com Professional, Technical and Business Bookstore discounts; employee discounts; Student Advantage discounts; in-store corporate, institutional, and volume discounts.

Thank you for the info.

I'm bummed that the teacher card can't be used on DVDs and music. They have such a great selection of educational DVDs and DS goes through so much music.

I wouldn't have done it if I didn't really qualify for the discount, but as a homeschooler, I do qualify, and I think it's ridiculous to have to jump through so many hoops for a small discount. I also think it's crazy that none of the store managers seem to have a clue, and that each store appears to set its own policies, despite the corporate info on the website.
What gets me...

When I was at Half Price Books a few years ago, the cashier asked me if I was a teacher. I said, "Not exactly. We homeschool." And she replied, "Oh, then you qualify for a teacher's discount card. Here. Fill out this card and it is yours." As I was filling out the card, she said she can always tell homeschoolers because of their book selections! :lol: That was the first I was aware that businesses offered homeschoolers a teacher's discount. Guess I now think all businesses should be so enlightened. And B&N just isn't. :glare: (Though I still love them...)

I've never had to show anything at B&N or Borders for discount cards.

The Colonial Williamsburg bookshop took my word for it and gave me a 15% discount.

If you need proof there is always the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. They have a printable card where you can put in the info and even download an image of your choice (Photo, logo, etc.). Membership and card are free.

I had to show proof the very first time. After that they renewed it just because I already had one. In fact, the first time I got one we lived in OH and I showed my letter from the school district. The first time it was renewed we had already moved to TN. This last time I was vacationing in KY. :)

I use my Borders ed. discount card more often than Barnes & Noble. I also recieve every discount coupon by e-mail there is. One thing about Borders is that you have a choice, coupon or discount, not both. I also didn't have a problem getting either card. I just explained to the manager that I was hs. maybe it has to do w/state requirements.

Forevergrace

Getting my educator's discount card was very easy. I brought in the receipt that my umbrella school sent me after I enrolled. The employee that gave me my card was very excited about doing so and asked me a ton of questions about homeschooling.

I've never had to show anything at B&N or Borders for discount cards.

The Colonial Williamsburg bookshop took my word for it and gave me a 15% discount.

If you need proof there is always the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. They have a printable card where you can put in the info and even download an image of your choice (Photo, logo, etc.). Membership and card are free.

I used the HSBC Teacher ID (http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/?source=51921 Its the first item under free resources on the left menu. ) I added pictures and laminated the cards. It also looks great in their school notebooks at the end of the year!

What did you present to get it?

I got one without presenting anything. It was kind of funny. She asked if I subscribed to any homeschooling magazines and I said I was new to homeschooling and did not. She asked if I had any kind of form or letter to the school and I said that I wasn't required by law to do anything like that. When you say things like that, some people get worried about asking you to do things you aren't supposed to have to do. :) I did jokingly offer to bring my kids to the store during a school day but she just laughed and said to fill out the form and I got my card on the spot.

Borders instead?

I've heard from other moms that they've had to jump through hoops at the B&N around me, but at Borders they don't and are treated nicer with the whole process thing. Our Borders here even accepts our co op card I think, so you don't have to show county proof. May depend on store though.

I wonder if they went through and coded different categories to automatically receive the discount and other to not receive. When I used my card some items received the discount, some did not (magazines), and the cashier sounded as if it were NOT up to him, it was all in the computer.

In the past I've been told different things. One cashier at one store told me anything for my school would be discounted, it was up to me to determine. Another cashier in a different store questioned every item I was buying. This was before they revamped the program to allow discounts online.

I wonder if they went through and coded different categories to automatically receive the discount and other to not receive.
This is what happened when they went to the new system last year. With the old cards, almost anything could receive the educator discount at the cashiers discretion, including already discounted items. Now it's only full price books with a certain level of margin (which makes sense, because they don't want to sell below wholesale. This is why many or most textbooks don't qualify.

Because it now only applies to full price items, I don't use the card nearly as much as I used to. Amazon is usually cheaper for new books, and Powell's sells used. Both are better deals.

This is what happened when they went to the new system last year. With the old cards, almost anything could receive the educator discount at the cashiers discretion, including already discounted items. Now it's only full price books with a certain level of margin (which makes sense, because they don't want to sell below wholesale. This is why many or most textbooks don't qualify.

Because it now only applies to full price items, I don't use the card nearly as much as I used to. Amazon is usually cheaper for new books, and Powell's sells used. Both are better deals.

:iagree:

I used to prefer B&N to Borders because they had a better selection of kids books, but I rarely go there anymore since they changed their policies. OTOH, I still go to Borders at least once/wk because they're very liberal with their educator's discount (which, at 25%, is higher than B&N to begin with) and they now let you combine your Rewards card with the teacher discount. I've used it for puppets, art supplies, and various other things they accepted as "educational" (although no music or DVDs), plus it's good on their sale and "bargain" books, not just full-price items. I've gotten some unbelievable deals — large, beautiful hardback books that were already marked down to $6-10 were only $4.50-7.50 with my discount card. They also had a promotion this summer where you got a free $10 gift card for yourself for every $50 gift card you bought. I bought three $50 gift cards (which I will easily use over the next few months) and I used the $30 in free cards, combined with my discount card and my $10 Reward Bucks, to get over $50 worth of free books! I love Borders. :001_wub:

Jackie

We've always used the free Homeschool Buyer's Co-op ID and never had a problem with it. This is our second year using it, and this year, I did actually pay them to print it out for me, and it looks fantastic! Very rugged and durable and looks like a real ID, even better than my driver's license.

I'll be honest. Last year when I first got mine, I loved it. Now it is useless. You rarely get any discount. It doesn't matter if it is for school or not. With literature based programs, it is useless.

Last year, the cashier would ask if it was for homeschool and ring it accordingly. This year, I can say it is for homeschool and it doesn't matter if their computer says it isn't.

I am so disappointed that the borders here closed down. We do have a Books a Million but I don't know if they have an educator card or discount.

I'll be honest. Last year when I first got mine, I loved it. Now it is useless. You rarely get any discount. It doesn't matter if it is for school or not. With literature based programs, it is useless.

Last year, the cashier would ask if it was for homeschool and ring it accordingly. This year, I can say it is for homeschool and it doesn't matter if their computer says it isn't.

I am so disappointed that the borders here closed down. We do have a Books a Million but I don't know if they have an educator card or discount.

Books-a-million has a 20% discount for educators. Our store is pretty laid back and I can get the discount on everything. I'm not sure if that's true elsewhere though.