Menu

Seriously!! looks VERY interesting BUT 703 messages intimidates me!!!

Johanna

Should I even open the filing thread ??!!!!! LOL :scared: I am scared to open it!!

Maybe I will read the thread on my 5 HOUR car ride tomorrow.:001_huh: and get informed!

I gotta ask what was so interesting that made it climb to over 700 messages!! I know, I know....GO READ IT FOR MYSELF! But, I am scared! LOL

Oh, what this board does for my life.....turns me upside down! :lol:, in a good way, that is! After all, I just opened my MCT package!!!!!!!!!!:D

I can't wrap my mind around it. Every so often I sneak a peek somewhere in the middle and just don't understand it. The women on that filing thread are just a different breed of homeschooler :D

However, if it intrigues you, I wold suggest backing away slowly. I've heard of that thread costing people hundreds of dollars.

I have a feeling that if I "started reading just a few first pages" it will SUCK ME IN!!! :eek:

LOL, sort of like the "workboxes mania"....though, I will say...the workboxes did revolutionize my homeschool!! See, thats why I just love this forum!!!:)

Just be prepared, if you do start it, you won't stop. Reading it will take several hours over 2 or 3 days. Then you will spend a weekend gathering supplies and planning your entire homeschool year.

I can't say I regret it, but I do feel like I have a homeschool hangover from last weekend. :tongue_smilie:

"Homeschooler hangover"--that's a GREAT description. People popped in on me today, & I was eyeing my fresh, unfiled copies like some kind of addict-fiend. Eventually, they went away. The people, not the copies.

I watched the filing thread grow before it was scary & resisted. Then once it was scary...I looked. Gah! Should have just started out w/ those gals, because now I will always be a filing outsider. I'm already an MCT outsider because I'd never *heard* of it long after it was a fad.

But I've been ripping apart workbooks, printing, filing, for about a week now. Every night after the kids are in bed, I make dh look at my box & try to think of something nice to say about it. I mean, I haven't talked to him or the kids, cooked a meal, cleaned the house, packed a box...in at least a week. I've been filing. So, you know, I'd like *some* kind of acknowledgement. He does try.

But tonight, on her way to bed, dd7 stopped & admired my box. I let her stay up. :lol:

"Homeschooler hangover"--that's a GREAT description. People popped in on me today, & I was eyeing my fresh, unfiled copies like some kind of addict-fiend. Eventually, they went away. The people, not the copies.

I watched the filing thread grow before it was scary & resisted. Then once it was scary...I looked. Gah! Should have just started out w/ those gals, because now I will always be a filing outsider. I'm already an MCT outsider because I'd never *heard* of it long after it was a fad.

But I've been ripping apart workbooks, printing, filing, for about a week now. Every night after the kids are in bed, I make dh look at my box & try to think of something nice to say about it. I mean, I haven't talked to him or the kids, cooked a meal, cleaned the house, packed a box...in at least a week. I've been filing. So, you know, I'd like *some* kind of acknowledgement. He does try.

But tonight, on her way to bed, dd7 stopped & admired my box. I let her stay up. :lol:

this made me laugh so hard, I almost peed my pants!! LOL I can so relate, "someone please notice how hard I am working!!!" Here's a "hug and a high five" for all your hard work!!!:hurray:

But the filing thing is such a good thing. I feel so ready and organized after looking at websites on the File box method and reading that thread. I was lucky, I had an empty file drawer, hanging files and file folders that were just waiting for me to hop on the bandwagon.

:tongue_smilie:

Your husband and my husband should start their own thread:

Spouses of Filers--How to Survive It

:lol::lol::lol:

But the filing thing is such a good thing. I feel so ready and organized after looking at websites on the File box method and reading that thread. I was lucky, I had an empty file drawer, hanging files and file folders that were just waiting for me to hop on the bandwagon.

:tongue_smilie:

I knew those purple, red and blue files from waaaaaay back when that I was using to supposedly keep track of all of our important files would eventually come in handy! Re-purposing is a good thing, right?!

Your husband and my husband should start their own thread:

Spouses of Filers--How to Survive It

this made me laugh so hard, I almost peed my pants!! LOL I can so relate, "someone please notice how hard I am working!!!" Here's a "hug and a high five" for all your hard work!!!:hurray:

Thank you. I really think dh is doing great, considering some might view The Box as a...oh, what is the other woman called who breaks up a marriage?...one of those.

And while it is hard work...I used to line toy cars up along the perimeter of the house for hrs at a time as a kid. It wasn't fun, but I couldn't stop. Sometimes I catch myself doing the same kind of thing as an adult, & I'm never sure if something is "hard work" or "playing parade." :001_huh: :lol:

this is -so- me!! I have to stop myself from bringing my pile of history pages to the dinner table so I could file while i was eating :D dh was a amazed that I could even do this while watching Lord of the Rings at the same time.

this is -so- me!! I have to stop myself from bringing my pile of history pages to the dinner table so I could file while i was eating :D dh was a amazed that I could even do this while watching Lord of the Rings at the same time.

*Ahem* My family's been eating in the living rm floor. :001_huh: I have taken over the table. Eating is optional.

While watching a movie? Check.

Dh: You at a stopping place? (So we can go back & watch a movie together)

Me: Uh...yeah. (packing up everything to move to the bedroom)

Dh: *sigh* :lol:

LOL

I have been completely sucked in by that thread. I've still not finished it. I bookmarked it and read maybe 5 pages at a time. :p

I did some printing already and filed that in a small accordion file I already had. Today I bought my big file...I know what I'll be doing tomorrow evening...and this afternoon/evening if I have the time. (have a b-day cake to assemble first...yeah, I know, the child managed to eek out priority there, can you believe it? I must not be hard core yet LMHO)

It *is* a rather daunting thread, but it makes so much sense! I really feel this will simplify things for me and help me stay on track this year.

Now I have not opened that thread because I knew it would suck me in. Then I go off and open this one and now it has a greater pull on me. It is like the force is strong with that one....

Darn it I might as well wipe all my plans for my birthday weekend and read.............

I started reading just over a week ago and have been a serious planning addict since! Ditto on taking over the kitchen table...we haven't been at the table for a meal in 9 days. I think what makes me stop and think is that neither dh nor the kiddos have said a word about it seeming strange that I'm in here constantly! Hmmmm? What must that mean? I don't think I really want to know. :)

I told dh the other morning before he left that I could either interact with the kids now or plan my interaction with them for later! Both things just can't happen! :) Evidently neither can housework, grocery lists, seeing people, etc!

If I'm being totally honest though...I'm in heaven! I think I enjoy this part much more than the actual carrying out of the plans. Should I admit that??? Yikes! :)

I haven't read the thread because it looks a bit long but I have wanted to file for a long time. This year I'm taking the plunge. I just started today. I'm not filing by weeks though. I decided to file by subjects and break it down to lessons. Mine doesn't look as nice with all 36 weeks but it works. I also put one folder in the front of my Sterlite container which is the week we are working on. Every Friday I add the next weeks subjects.

I did a post on my blog today about it. Nothing fancy but I think it will work. At least I'll have everything copied for the year and in one place.

I wanted to read the thread. I really did....but well, I only made it a bit in before my eyes just started to glaze over. I cheated. I googled file crate system and home school file crate and such words and came up with lots of blogs and lots of pictures. It was much more my speed so to speak.

If you really like the idea, but can't wade into the novel just google and lots of blogs with pictures come up.

Oh, you are not an outsider. Once you start filing, that's all you need to be part of the cult.....and ripping apart workbooks, you're in!:D

Others just don't see the beauty of this. Nor appreciate the work. My family has yet to say anything nice particularly. But others of your kind understand. :001_smile:

I can't wrap my mind around it. Every so often I sneak a peek somewhere in the middle and just don't understand it. The women on that filing thread are just a different breed of homeschooler :D

However, if it intrigues you, I wold suggest backing away slowly. I've heard of that thread costing people hundreds of dollars.

:D I recycled all my supplies so it is doable.

*Ahem* My family's been eating in the living rm floor. :001_huh: I have taken over the table. Eating is optional.

While watching a movie? Check.

Dh: You at a stopping place? (So we can go back & watch a movie together)

Me: Uh...yeah. (packing up everything to move to the bedroom)

Dh: *sigh* :lol:

:lol: We were watching a show last night and I was doing something else, dh asked if I was watching and I told him "Yes, I can do two things at one time."

I wanted to read the thread. I really did....but well, I only made it a bit in before my eyes just started to glaze over. I cheated. I googled file crate system and home school file crate and such words and came up with lots of blogs and lots of pictures. It was much more my speed so to speak.

If you really like the idea, but can't wade into the novel just google and lots of blogs with pictures come up.

Now off to search on swagbucks (since I am trying to up my searches). I also posted a thread for people to post pictures if you search on here.

Oh, you are not an outsider. Once you start filing, that's all you need to be part of the cult.....and ripping apart workbooks, you're in!:D

Others just don't see the beauty of this. Nor appreciate the work. My family has yet to say anything nice particularly. But others of your kind understand. :001_smile:

Dd liked the actual $3 crate holding it all. But then I showed her what I'd done, & she understood to say, "oooooh..."

Dh, though--I tell him, "I'm going to show you something, & then I want you to say, 'Oh, wow! That's amazing! You're a genius!'" Unfortunately, he thinks he needs to ad lib in order to sound more sincere. It always gives away his lack of understanding of the project, though. :lol:

So my point is, just feed your family lines & let them spit them back at you. It's more gratifying than you'd think.

I am tentatively asking WHERE is this thread and DO I really want to be sucked in :lol:

I figure it can't hurt since I am in dire need of some organizational help :tongue_smilie:

That's all, Thanks :D

Now I am editing to add that I found the thread by - Guess What?- using the handy dandy search function! Geez, I think I am not thinking tonight LOL.

Here goes, I am diving in ;o)

Edited by Tani

If I'm being totally honest though...I'm in heaven! I think I enjoy this part much more than the actual carrying out of the plans. Should I admit that??? Yikes! :)

Me too. :) I love getting it all ready and making lists and printing all the pretty eBooks that otherwise sit on my computer.

For the person thinking it cost a lot - I did it for under $5 recycling stuff I had around the house. Of course, I'm a total school supply junkie, and it's possible that not *everyone* has stacks of file folders (with inside pockets) and hanging files just laying around waiting to be used. :D

Me too. :) I love getting it all ready and making lists and printing all the pretty eBooks that otherwise sit on my computer.

For the person thinking it cost a lot - I did it for under $5 recycling stuff I had around the house. Of course, I'm a total school supply junkie, and it's possible that not *everyone* has stacks of file folders (with inside pockets) and hanging files just laying around waiting to be used. :D

Me too :D I just purchased some filing crates for $2.99(*sale ends tomorrow). I wasn't going to at first but the price sucked me in. The only thing I really had to purchase was filing folders and hanging files. I needed those anyway. I had everything else.

On my blog I posted using Sterlites but once the crates get here I'll switch over.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Can't you just read the 1st page post by catholicmommy and run with it?

I saw this pop up some time ago (maybe last month) and clicked on it. I just got to catholicmommy's part, felt the light bulb go off, and scurried off to purchase basic supplies. I don't remember it having so many posts in it then! That's probably a good thing.

Was there some other important revelation in there? If so, is someone kind enough to share? I thought it was just: crate, hanging file folders, file folders, and lots of time ripping and sorting. This is for the hands-on folks (because I even have Homeschool Tracker).

By the way, Aubrey, your desire for appreciation is so funny because we can relate!

There's "cheat-sheet" step by step instructions (complete w/ links to printable lesson plan forms) on Catholicmommy's blog. I think (not positive) she's the one who started the filing madness here.

To the PP who said we're a "different breed of homescholer" - I'm of the breed that cannot figure out organization on my own and am sick of trying to homeschool amidst dismal chaos. I would pay someone to come help me get it all together, if they accepted payment in summer squash!

It hasn't cost me more than $20. I reused old file folders, hanging folders, tabs, etc. It doesn't have to cost hundreds of $$.

I think I've spent $25. It's more of a time investment but once you get going it's kind of fun and you start looking for more things to file!

I know! I pulled out the sleeping bags, hung them up, & now the kids are filed, too! ;)

(Really, though, between filing & Library Thing, I'm SO happy, & so wishing I could apply either of these to the rest of life!)

I know! I pulled out the sleeping bags, hung them up, & now the kids are filed, too! ;)

(Really, though, between filing & Library Thing, I'm SO happy, & so wishing I could apply either of these to the rest of life!)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I love this image. That would make such a funny kids picture book.

You ladies are cracking me up today. I just love thinking of women all across the country with their papers and files all over the kitchen table and floor and hungry kids and husbands tiptoeing around it all. :lol::lol:

WHAT will we do with all our free time once the filing is done??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I love this image. That would make such a funny kids picture book.

You ladies are cracking me up today. I just love thinking of women all across the country with their papers and files all over the kitchen table and floor and hungry kids and husbands tiptoeing around it all. :lol::lol:

WHAT will we do with all our free time once the filing is done??

I was thinking about this last night. This summer, I took food to some people whose baby was in the hospital, planned a surprise costume party for mil's 60th bday, had my mom stay w/ me for a weekend, planned 2 parties for my dc, organized meals for a friend when her 5th baby was born, watched kids/helped pack when she moved 2wks later...

Life seems to be full of things I can't say no to & people who need help or love or both. Making a sanctuary of my time & table space this past week or so has felt crazy & selfish, but I think--hope--that it will help me w/ priorities this year. So I can still help people who need it, but w/out sacrificing my own family's needs. It's too easy to put hs on the back burner because we can get caught up later...over & over.

AND having a week's worth of work already set aside means that I know better what I really can & can't do, because I can *see* how much time we need for school, etc. Usually? I have no idea, so I just say yes until I explode. :001_huh:

As crazy as it seems, that thread (well, only the first few pages) has helped me SO MUCH. We recently had dd8 tested and she needs help with organization. Needing to organize her AND me every day would be WAY. TOO. MUCH. By getting the schoolwork organized NOW, I can focus on helping DD acheive her best. And maybe keep the paper monster from taking over HER life.

I snorted so loud, DH wanted to know what was so funny. :lol: When I started mentioning "the filing thing" his eyes glazed over and he went back to his own computer. He already had to listen to me tell him how excited I was to have filed 10 magazine articles in under 5 minutes today. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This image could be on the cover of the pamphlet for the 12-step program for filers!!!!!!

Okay, I finally nibbled and started reading, but when I found out these references to ripping apart workbooks is UN-USED workbooks, I had to stop. I. can. not. do. that. :eek:

I'm not sure if that will be my downfall or my saving grace. It did save me from the next 660 posts.:)

Okay, I finally nibbled and started reading, but when I found out these references to ripping apart workbooks is UN-USED workbooks, I had to stop. I. can. not. do. that. :eek:

I'm not sure if that will be my downfall or my saving grace. It did save me from the next 660 posts.:)

I started tearing apart my new unused workbooks today. It's actually going to be wonderful once I'm all done. No more griping at the kids to keep the it books in order, no more looking for misplaced workbooks, more space for craft time. Love love love the filing idea! There are so many positives to implementing this filing method! :)

This whole thread is killing me :lol::lol::lol:

I just love thinking of women all across the country with their papers and files all over the kitchen table and floor and hungry kids and husbands tiptoeing around it all. :lol::lol:

I have to say that I went back to my Dollar Tree for more library pockets today, and they were all gone!!! I was so irritated, and then I was all, "OK, there has to be a WTMer around here, filing all their 2010-2011 curriculum!" I mean really, who else actually buys library pockets?!

Fortunately, I was still able to get the "organizational envelopes," which are pretty much the same size and shape as the pockets and will work the same way :D

My husband is so sweet. He brought two blue file crates home today. I just love the man!!! :D

You've got a keeper there!

I convinced a local friend (not a WTMer) to start filing yesterday. After about an hour with me, she was off to buy crates and folders. :D

And I've also found a definite benefit to all those eBooks I purchased (Math Mammoth and Evan Moor, especially) - I haven't had to rip up a single workbook. I've just been printing all mine out, finally.

You've got a keeper there!

I convinced a local friend (not a WTMer) to start filing yesterday. After about an hour with me, she was off to buy crates and folders. :D

And I've also found a definite benefit to all those eBooks I purchased (Math Mammoth and Evan Moor, especially) - I haven't had to rip up a single workbook. I've just been printing all mine out, finally.

I'm buying my first e-book today! So convenient...

I know what you mean. I couldn't bring myself to rip apart the math and language arts workbooks, but I am creating a filing system for history and science, to organize all the extra stuff that we never seem to get to - lap books, Jim Weiss cds, etc.