Menu

Spin-off: Anyone else besides me who could care less about going to Disney?

I can't fly to Europe for $79 (thank you SWA) and with the $ worth about 65% of the Euro and 50% of the British Pound I don't see how it's the same price at all.

Yea - this is what I was thinking! On our last trip to Disney, we spend an average of $80 per person (this included everything - travel, tickets, hotels, food etc) per day. We're currently saving for Europe and we've got to set aside a heck of a lot more money than that!! LOL I don't think my family could fly to Europe for the cost of our entire 12 day trip to Disney in January!

You know though - this thread has be thankful that Disney isn't for everyone! Fewer lines for those of us who do love it! :lol:

I loved Disney as a child and teen but my children aren't all that interested. They love the beach off-season so they can explore fishing villages, old forts, wildlife preserves, history museums, etc., so that's usually where we spend our vacation dollars.

I'd go back in a second but DH sides with the kiddos, the meanie. :D

I'm so sorry to anyone I've offended by saying they are nuts. In my experience, the people I know who absolutely adore Disney and make annual pilgrimages seem to understand that there is something funny about it. I mean, adult men in Mickey Mouse shirts usually have the ability to laugh at themselves! But anyway, I want to make sure anyone offended by that knows that I mean it in a lighthearted, affectionate way, and not as an actual judgment as to anyone's mental state!

I wasn't me. :D

Karenciavo aka Disneynut

I have never been there and have no interest in doing so.

I dislike rides and 2 out of 4 of us do not do well with crowds.

I have, however, always wanted to go to Sea World. Someday I would love to go there with the kids. Wish we could afford to do it after Apologia Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day. Oh well.

I have never been there and have no interest in doing so.

I dislike rides and 2 out of 4 of us do not do well with crowds.

I have, however, always wanted to go to Sea World. Someday I would love to go there with the kids. Wish we could afford to do it after Apologia Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day. Oh well.

Sea World is the one thing I miss about living in San Antonio. 5 minutes from Sea World with season passes and toddlers. They LOVED going. We only stayed 2 hours every time we went and went the exact same way every time. The kids loved petting the dolphins and going into the penguin house (great when it is hot outside, not so great if you were cold!). It was rarely too busy and since we did not really go on the rides, no lines pretty much.

REALLY!?!?! You mean you don't want to spend hundereds of dollars to stand in hour long lines for 5 minute rides and eat fast food?!

How unamerican can you get?

See, this is not an accurate picture. It is possible to go, not stand in hour long rides, and never eat fast food.

I'm so sorry to anyone I've offended by saying they are nuts. In my experience, the people I know who absolutely adore Disney and make annual pilgrimages seem to understand that there is something funny about it. I mean, adult men in Mickey Mouse shirts usually have the ability to laugh at themselves! But anyway, I want to make sure anyone offended by that knows that I mean it in a lighthearted, affectionate way, and not as an actual judgment as to anyone's mental state!

Nor I! lol... And I certainly think some of us can get "funny" about Disney, though you'll never, ever, ever catch my dh in a Mickey Mouse shirt, lol. ;) He's one of those strange ones who loathes crowds and a friend gave him a t-shirt that says "nothing is any good if other people like it" and my mother laughed so hard she nearly choked because it was so apt... Anyway, he loves our Disney trips (though after this upcoming trip with his parents, I think we'll be all Disneyed-out for a few years).

We don't watch a lot of Disney movies (though I was 12 when Little Mermaid came out and really did love that period of LM and Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin...), but my kids have seen enough that most of the characters are familiar.

What Disney does fabulously well is customer service and making the trip *easy*. As Karenciavo pointed out, you don't have to wait in long lines or eat fast food at Disney. My family does end up eating a little fast food during the week -- things like roast chicken and pizza (they'll make a gluten-free pizza for ds at any of the pizza joints!!! I can't get that anywhere else) -- but I don't remember having a hamburger there ever, lol...

It's clean, it's pleasant, the Animal Kingdom is quiet and beautiful and much nicer than almost any zoo I've been to (with animals in seemingly more natural surroundings)...

Anyway, we've loved it, and I would say in many ways we're not "Disney" people -- but then, I guess, we are! ;)

We went to Disney Land a few years ago. The only reason we went was because my dh's cousin works there and got us free admission. We only liked a few of the things at the actual Disney World - many of the rides were scary to my children. To this day I don't know why they would add a nightmarish "Heffalump" sequence to the toddler's Winnie-the-Pooh ride. My toddler screamed and held me in fright! Four years later, she still brings up that awful ride and how scary that was.

But we also got free admission to the California Adventure. We loved that! There were rides of course but more historical and interesting things to see and do that fit our family. That part we could actually count as a homeschool fieldtrip!

BTW, thanks to folks who mentioned the way Disney caters to food allergies. That is really great to know! It makes me happier about trying to go in the fall.

There is no way I could go to Europe for what I would spend at Disneyland. But I live in CA and have relatives in Anaheim to crash with (relatives with season passes!). My parents used to take us every year because it was easy and cheap--we lived in Bakersfield and my great-aunt lived in Anaheim. We always went for one day--it was in the days before people took multi-day trips and stayed in hotels and stuff.

When I went with my husband 10 years ago, I fully expected to hate it, but we had a ton of fun.

See, this is not an accurate picture. It is possible to go, not stand in hour long rides, and never eat fast food.

That's it exactly. We go in the off season and the lines are very reasonable, sometimes non-existant. Even the corn dogs at the castle are good. The thing that surprised me most was probably the food.

There is as much or more to see than to ride. I'd go even if I couldn't ride a single thing.

It is clean, the employees are helpful and friendly, they have a lot of accomodations for people with children, nursing moms, etc. If I had the funds we would certainly go again. We hope to save up and manage it in a year and a half.

I've had my disapointments with Disney in the last decade or so but they really do have the family fun thing down pretty well.

I am not even sure if they know it exists to tell you the truth ;)

My older boys just in the past couple of years asked me where Disneyland is ~ presumably because they heard of others going there. But they haven't expressed an interest in going, and my younger set are in the "don't know it exists" category. But who knows ~ maybe when they're all grown they'll have a blast taking their own children there. Different strokes!

I'm not trying to convert anyone, but perhaps if you checked your preconceived notions at the door you might just find yourself enjoying a vacation at a Disney Park.

But...what's wrong with knowing one's preferences? I've heard many positive things about Disney from an array of friends who've enjoyed vacations there. Nonetheless, it isn't my cuppa and there's absolutely no reason for me to go (e.g. no family desperately yearning to go, etc). So we're all good.:)

Nor I! lol... And I certainly think some of us can get "funny" about Disney, though you'll never, ever, ever catch my dh in a Mickey Mouse shirt, lol. ;) He's one of those strange ones who loathes crowds and a friend gave him a t-shirt that says "nothing is any good if other people like it" and my mother laughed so hard she nearly choked because it was so apt... Anyway, he loves our Disney trips (though after this upcoming trip with his parents, I think we'll be all Disneyed-out for a few years).

We don't watch a lot of Disney movies (though I was 12 when Little Mermaid came out and really did love that period of LM and Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin...), but my kids have seen enough that most of the characters are familiar.

What Disney does fabulously well is customer service and making the trip *easy*. As Karenciavo pointed out, you don't have to wait in long lines or eat fast food at Disney. My family does end up eating a little fast food during the week -- things like roast chicken and pizza (they'll make a gluten-free pizza for ds at any of the pizza joints!!! I can't get that anywhere else) -- but I don't remember having a hamburger there ever, lol...

It's clean, it's pleasant, the Animal Kingdom is quiet and beautiful and much nicer than almost any zoo I've been to (with animals in seemingly more natural surroundings)...

Anyway, we've loved it, and I would say in many ways we're not "Disney" people -- but then, I guess, we are! ;)

Where can I get that t-shirt?! ;) You know my how that sentiment kept me from enjoying HP for several years.

I've never particularly wanted to do Disney, though I'm sure my children would love it. Then I started hearing about Abbey's trips and how nicely put together they seem, not theme-parkish at all, and that makes me a little bit interested. But I think I'd hire Abbey or Karen to put it all together for me, just to make sure I had the best time possible. :D

I can imagine that it would delight my children though and make memories for them that they would cherish and that is probably what will motivate us most to attempt a Disney visit at some point in the future.

Jami

I *love* going to WDW. :) But there are a few things that make a huge difference for me... We go at the lowest crowd times of year, when the weather is relatively cool, and we stay on property. I imagine, much as I love Disney, I'd enjoy it an awful lot less if there were massive crowds or oppressive temperatures.

Absolutely, Abbey. Those things make such a big difference. I love the way they go out of their way to accommodate families, especially if you have young kids or a baby.

That being said, I am a sentimental *fool* for Disney songs. I start crying out of pure joy when I hear certain songs as we're touring the park - I have to discreetly keep kleenex in my pocket so I can (try to) hide the fact that I am blubbering for no apparent reason. :D

A good friend of mine's parents went every single year for their anniversary. No matter what! They loved it there.

I really enjoyed taking my dd when she was 7. I'll never forget her reaction to the closing laser show at Epcot. She broke down in tears, sobbing, "It's so *beautiful* !"

I am not planning to go again, but dd wants to one more time. Don't know that we'll go to a lot of trouble to make that happen, but if I had the chance to go, I would. And if I was in the area, I wouldn't skip it. But there are other things I want to do, too... I don't like taking the same kind of vacation to the same place year in and year out. I like to mix it up, and that includes beautiful/natural scenery, major urban areas, camping, fancy hotels, historical sites, theme parks... we like it all, but then again we try to find the fun/enjoyment in everything.

Robin

Ditto, Abbey!

The first time I went (before dh and I married ), I went with a friend to take her daughter. It was the 4th of July. :eek:

Now that I think about it, that experience (nightmare?) was probably a huge factor in my decision to homeschool - I remember dh and I listing pros and cons, and one of the biggest pros was vacationing in the off season! LOL

Robin

I love WDW; I could live at the Magic Kingdom. When we lived in Orlando, we had passes and went to MK or Epcot every weekend and never got tired of it. It's one of the only things I miss about FL since moving to CT. I really feel that those who have never been don't know what they're missing.

This has been sort of my experience. We lived in Florida for 17 years. The first 10 years we only did a day trip here and there to Disney. While I enjoyed the day trips, it was not until we went and stayed for 5 days - that my love of Disney really emerged. I was DREADING going for 5 days with my then 3 year old and 13 year old. I didn't want to do it - no way, now how. Then it happened. I loved it! It was one of the best vacations we have ever had. I just didn't know what I was missing. I loved parking my car for 5 days and just riding on Disney transportation. I love the customer service at Disney. You really feel like you are being pampered. I love the excitement, shows, and just being plain silly. We have been out of Florida for 3 months and haven't been to Disney in 3 years. I am getting the feeling I need to take my now 3 year old this fall or winter because I miss it so much.

That being said, I am a sentimental *fool* for Disney songs. I start crying out of pure joy when I hear certain songs as we're touring the park - I have to discreetly keep kleenex in my pocket so I can (try to) hide the fact that I am blubbering for no apparent reason. :D

Oh man! Me too!!! My dd's reaction when she saw the princess castle still has me in tears when I think about it. Or, when dd was laughing and playing at "Pooh's house" for hours on end. Or, being there when my oldest conquered his fear of the Rockin' Roller Coaster. I love it SOOOO much. Where else can an entire family wear mouse ears and have nobody bat an eye?! :lol:

My dw is a huge Disney fan. The fact that we spent our honeymoon at Disney World should tell you exactly how huge. :001_rolleyes:

We've been to Disneyland, Disney World, and even Disneyland Paris. That's more than enough for a lifetime as far as I'm concerned. But it's a very big deal for my dw and she likes creating memories with our dd there. They just went to Disney World in January, and I took a vacation elsewhere - a Benedictine monastery, to be exact! I missed them, but I was happy that they were able to go to a place they love and happier still to be in a restful, quiet environment.

I imagine I will go with them again at some point in the future, but for me, going to Disney is about doing something special for my family, not my own idea of the perfect vacation.

This is how my dh is. We had passes twice before. He didn't have a pass, nor did he want one. He would just come over for the weekend and do one park with the kids and maybe a character meal. My mom, me and the kids would spend the whole week there. One time, he went with us for 6 days, just to make the kids happy. They loved having him along, but he really would have preferred something different.

I was fully prepared to hate WDW, and it shocked me how much I loved it. :confused: We are not big TV people, and my children were not knowledgable about some of the characters. (They are now). That was years ago, and I think we've been to WDW at least 12 times. (We have family in FL so we don't always stay at the hotels there). It's really great fun and I still can't believe I like it so. Friends have often told me I don't seem like a WDW person. But I really am. :tongue_smilie:

I love Disney... I love travelling to "real" places too, but I don't see them as mutually exclusive. I enjoy the fun, even the familiarity of it. I like singing along on Pirates of the Carribean, and pretending to be scared in the Haunted Mansion, and all that stuff. If we lived in Florida I'm sure we'd go to Disneyworld more often, but we're off to Disneyland tomorrow! :p

But...what's wrong with knowing one's preferences? I've heard many positive things about Disney from an array of friends who've enjoyed vacations there. Nonetheless, it isn't my cuppa and there's absolutely no reason for me to go (e.g. no family desperately yearning to go, etc). So we're all good.:)

You're right. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with people knowing their preferences, but some of the posts on this thread contain stereotypes that are not usually true.

WDW is suprisingly accomodating wrt food. You can buy organic food in all of the parks. They will also substitute organic Annie's mac for the Kraft stuff etc. (I am not saying Annie's is health food, mind you). It's not on the menus, but it's there, including organic soy ice cream if you are into that. They have organic yogurt, organic milk, veggie burgers, etc etc Pretty much whatever you want. You have to ask, but if you do, they will get it for you. You can also arrange for it in advance. They will also do Kosher or Halal. Fresh fruit cups are easy to come by everywhere, although all food at Disney is very $$$.

I have to say that Mickey's Breakfast at the Contemporary is fabulous. The fresh fruit bar is absolutely delish.

We once stayed in the Wilderness Cabins during a family reunion and that was great. We cooked all of our own food (took turns) and grilled lots of fish and organic hot dogs etc outside.

I don't mean to be a posting hog...and as someone who didn't think they would enjoy Disney, I have a surprising amount to say on the subject. lol

As far as money. I once took the kids to WDW while my dh was on business in Orlando and so we stayed in a hotel there for 10 days. We only went to the parks twice. A water park and Animal Kingdom. Otherwise, we swam, played with Lego and Mr Potato Head at downtown Disney, and just chilled out. I spent less than 1000k the entire 10 days (with 3 kids). The room was $69/night off season, at The Music Resort with AAA rate.

Two of the children got the flu...very sad...and the housekeeping staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Nothing like having someone else wash and bring fresh, clean sheets & towels every day during a flu. The checked in on us each day, sympathized with me, brought the kids videos and more. It was amazing.

One year got to go along and the only thing that I had to pay for was my park hopper pass. I had the best time! Of course, it was off season, not too hot, practically free and a week without the kids. What's not to love. I slept late everyday, meandered to the parks whenever I felt like it and got to spend lots of time alone and with only dh. I sure wouldn't mind another conference like that.

Even the thought of contemplating such a trip with my dc causes me anxiety of nightmarish proportions. Maybe when they are all grown and I have tons of money in the bank. I am sure that they would love it, but I am also sure that they would love it even more if they were grown! :tongue_smilie:

I understand about the movies, when it comes to most of the newer ones... but the classics? No Mary Poppins? Lady and the Tramp? Aristocats?

I'm not saying anyone should watch these movies... clearly they are not the finest movies ever made. But gosh... life without the songs from Mary Poppins almost gives me the sniffles. Hardly a windy day goes by that I don't recall (and sing to myself), "Let's Go Fly a Kite." I'm tellin' ya, when Dick Van Dyke dies, you just might have to bury me with him.

Oh well, we had a good time on our visits to Disney, but I bet I would like the places you go, too :). Unless, of course, it involves primitive camping. :)

Robin

I'm not saying anyone should watch these movies... clearly they are not the finest movies ever made. But gosh... life without the songs from Mary Poppins almost gives me the sniffles. Hardly a windy day goes by that I don't recall (and sing to myself), "Let's Go Fly a Kite." I'm tellin' ya, when Dick Van Dyke dies, you just might have to bury me with him.

Robin,

This really did make me laugh out loud! Very funny indeed!

And I know what you mean. Those are more like musicals to me, so I love them too.

"Everybody Wants to be a Cat"

"I Love to Laugh"

"Step in Time"

Ahhh, I can't say how many times those fun songs pop into my head when I'm doing just about anything!:001_smile:

Okay, who else sings "Spoonful of Sugar" when you're doing chores around the house?

You know, Disney's Jungle Book isn't a whole lot like Kipling's story, but there's another storehouse of favorite songs... Bare Necessities, I Want To Be Like You... some things are just plain ol, fun!

I read story that Dick Van Dyke was sitting on a park bench one day, and a little boy noticed him and came and sat next to him. He sat there for a while, not saying a word, and then he started singing "Let's Go Fly A Kite." Dick started singing along with him - they sat there, side by side, and sang the whole song together. Oh, that would be a priceless memory to me! What a sweet guy he is.

Robin

I'm not drawn to Disney but a few of the older movies are near and dear to my heart. I don't even recall if I saw them when I was a child, but years ago, an acquaintance took a shine to my boys (back when I just had a couple of litte guys) and randomly presented them with some Disney classics. I didn't keep all of them, but some have been watched time and again. Just the other day I watched "Bambi" with my current small boys. Of course "Mary Poppins" and "Jungle Book" are nothing like books on which they're based. I don't even bother to compare them. I just delight in the simple pleasure. And fwiw, I devoured Asterix and Tin Tin books before I could even read the words. I love them! But they don't detract from my willingness to pump my legs on a swing while singing "Let's Go Fly a Kite" at the top of my lungs.:D

I've been to both DL (as a kid) and DW twice as a teen and as an adult for a LLLI conference. I actually did not mind Epcot and Animal Kingdom. My oldest, who was 3 1/2 at the time, could have cared less. She had the most fun running up and down the hallways at the hotel (Dolphin). I just don't understand the folks from all over the world, who blow thousands of dollars to go. But then, there are lots of things I don't understand. :tongue_smilie:

I just don't understand the folks from all over the world, who blow thousands of dollars to go. :tongue_smilie:

While some people really do spend thousands of dollars to go, others like me have done it on much less money. It is around $230 for an adult seasonal pass for a Florida Resident. It was less when we had our passes. I had to buy one for me and one for my ds. My dd was free and my dh only went over for a day here and there. My mom also had a pass that she purchased. For the price of around $400 my kids and I went to Disney for about 2 weeks each year. We did like 2 five day trips and 1 four day trip. We stayed at the value hotels and brought snack foods and breakfast. We did splurge on nicer places to eat here and there. The total for a those trips was probably around $1500 (my mom always split the hotel cost with me). I honestly couldn't take them many places for 14 days for less cost. Another time when we got passes, we bought them for my mom, both kids and me. My dh got a 4 day FL resident Pass. We also went to Sea World. We stayed at the Port Orleans. The total for that trip was about $1800 and we still had passes to use all year. My point is that Disney doesn't have to be the most expensive place. I spent just as much money taking my dd to Williamsburg by the time we paid for airfare, hotel, admission, and night shows. While we really enjoyed Williamsburg, I have to say that Disney had a lot more to offer for the actual amount of money spent. Of course, if you have to pay for airfare to get to Disney, etc. It can still add up. Again, it just depends on each family.

You all can stay home, I am absolutely fine with that :D

I am not a big fan of Disney movies (Pixar films are the exception), but I love WDW. Character meetings and parades are not high on our list, but they are enjoyable. The "rides" (really attractions) are a big draw for us, but so is the customer service and all the neat little touches Disney provides such as the chef coming out to talk to my nut and fruit allergy son, the Hawaiian story teller at our favorite hotel, laying in a hammock at my hotel watching the fireworks at MK, earning our monorail driver's license, eating lunch with an Imagineer, taking a tour of EPCOT on a Segway, eating smores with Chip and Dale. My list goes on and on.

Like Abbey, I'm not trying to convert anyone, but perhaps if you checked your preconceived notions at the door you might just find yourself enjoying a vacation at a Disney Park.

I agree. We have been to Disney a few times and really enjoyed it. I have to say I am surprised at the posters who are commentingon the cost when they have never been...??

In comparison to some of our other vacations, Disney was relatively inexpensive. If you don't buy all of the trinkets, it's not too bad. And Disney has the customer service down pat! I can't recall waiting in line for hours, ever. Yes, there are lines but because of the way that Disney is structured, you are moving the whole time. The last time we went, my youngest was three and it was a very pleasant and enjoyable time.

I am not trying to convince anyone either. I agree with Karen about the stereotypes. If you've never been, don't presume. :001_smile:

I just don't understand the folks from all over the world, who blow thousands of dollars to go. But then, there are lots of things I don't understand. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I guess it would be like us taking a trip to see the Louvre or Big Ben, which really would cost thousands.:001_smile: