Menu

The Meat Truck just stopped by

Ok, I have to know. Did they have a refrigerator truck or did they have a regular deep freezer strapped into the back of a pick-up truck? We get the latter.

We enjoy eating meat in this house but DH has threatened to post a "Meat is Murder" sign in the yard to discourage these visits.

So. . .what did you buy? :lol:

Pegasus

I always got a kick out of these threads and a few weeks ago... knock at the door. DH answered the door and I heard another man's voice. Dh looked at me and said, "He is selling..." and I know my eyes bugged out when I asked if it was meat. My husband couldn't believe I would just guess that. :lol: Thanks y'all for the heads up.

Ok, I have to know. Did they have a refrigerator truck or did they have a regular deep freezer strapped into the back of a pick-up truck? We get the latter.

We enjoy eating meat in this house but DH has threatened to post a "Meat is Murder" sign in the yard to discourage these visits.

So. . .what did you buy? :lol:

Pegasus

It wasn't a regular freezer but it didn't look like a normal refrigerator truck either. And no I didn't buy anything :D

Hey wait a minute, he was just here Monday. And he even remembered me from last summer when I told him I was a vegan (I'm not but I refuse to buy meat from a truck driven by a strange man with smoke coming out the tail pipe). He asked me if I'd gotten my head on right yet and I said "no" (how was he to know I never have my head on straight).

Hey wait a minute, he was just here Monday. And he even remembered me from last summer when I told him I was a vegan (I'm not but I refuse to buy meat from a truck driven by a strange man with smoke coming out the tail pipe). He asked me if I'd gotten my head on right yet and I said "no" (how was he to know I never have my head on straight).

Why do they wait until summertime to descend in force? You'd think that would be the last season they'd find people willing to buy meat from a pickup truck.

Barb

I have an out. I always say "Dude, I've lived in this town my entire life, and if I don't buy my meat from farmer Bob/Mark/Joe/whoever, I'll be getting the stink eye next time I run into them at the bank".

That's for the hard-sell meat truck guy. The less aggressive or newbie meat truck guy responds well to the simple "The Schwan guy just left and my freezer's jam packed".

I just laugh at the guy and say, you're kidding, right? What fool would buy meat from a guy in a truck? He sort of hems and haws then figures out I am serious and leaves. Where are the cops when we really need them?

I have said that--or something along the line of not feeding my kids meat from the back of some pick-up truck. I was having a particularly bad day but, that's when I'm the most brutally honest.

This particular meat truck guy was wearing jam pants. Anyone remember those? For a minute there I just looked at him kinda dumbfounded. :001_huh: It's been twenty years since I'd seen pants like that. I did manage to keep my mouth shut about the pants. Just barely. :D

Its funny that this topic came up. I had never heard of such a thing until recently. 2 weeks ago my bell rings. Naturally, the kids are running around, I am having a wonderful day (not) and this guys shows up. I answer the door. The toddler is trying to squeeze thru my knees to get out the door. My 3 year old is standing on something and leaning on the window to get a better look. The oldest 2 (5 yrs and 6.5yrs) are looking at him from the other window. The baby is asleep somewhere. He says "I was just playing peekabo with your kids in the window". :w00t: Ok...probably harmless but in my family we have huge privacy issues and he is just lucky my husband wasn't home to hear that this guy was looking at his girls in the window! Anyway, so then he says "I used to deliver meat to you in (another town)". I told him no, he didn't. He argues back that he did. I ask him 3 times "what can I do for you?". He continues to describe my other house/location. Finally, since I am still struggling not to fall over and thus allow the toddler freedom to the outdoors, I ask him if he is lost. He looks astonished and then says.."uh..no..I am not lost". So I say ok and goodbye. The only reason I think he was there to sell meat was that he had a little sign on the door of his pickup (no freezer though). It was just totally weird. I mean seriously, if you are there to sell meat....ask me if I want to purchase some. Didn't I ask you if there was something you needed???

There are 2 meat guys that come by here every year, even though I tell them no every year. The more reputable looking one has a deep freeze in the back of his pickup. I've never been able to figure out where he plugs it in.

The other guy just has a big cooler. Um, no.

LOL! Yeah...we get the rattle trap pickup with the chest freezer in the back, strapped on with bungee cords. Do they EVER come in winter? NOOOooooohhhhh! Oh, no! They wait until we are having temps around 100* plus *air you can wear*.

GAH-ROHSE!

I will never forget this guy coming through in the days after Hurricane Katrina. He had this sob story that he had cleaned all the meat out of his meat market right before the storm hit and was now driving around the state just trying to sell it all. I was stunned...this was DAYS after Katrina. My honest response was "Eww!". I realized when I saw the look on his face, he knew he'd been caught in a lie. Then, he start back paddling. I said "SHAME on you!" and he just turned around, went to the truck and left.

:lol:

Ya ever think what newbies must think of threads like this?

LOL

Or me! Every time I see a thread about the meat truck I want to vomit. Or come out swinging. Thank goodness they aren't dirtying up the streets in my neighborhood! Hmph!

I live in the country and we often get the meat truck- first time I had to try hard to not laugh in his face- buy meat from the back of a truck-seriously? Then recently we got the fish truck-even scarier in my mind- old fish in the back of a truck- remind me to leave the big dogs out more :)

Lisa

It must be that time of year. Before you know it the bipolar teenagers with the sob stories will be pushing their magazines.

Barb

I had one of those last week. But they were trying to sell me books. I think I ran the meat guy off for good. At least I hope so. He was downright nasty last time and I was trying to be polite but he got ugly so I yelled that anyone in their right mind wouldn't buy meat off the back of a truck in the kind of heat we get in this town.

It must be that time of year. Before you know it the bipolar teenagers with the sob stories will be pushing their magazines.

Barb

Or the "college students" wanting to sit down in your living room to show you some wonderful educational books for your children. :001_rolleyes:

We had the meat truck once.

We had another one I have never heard about, someone selling furniture out of the back of a truck. The story was he was supposed to make a delivery that got refused, so he needed to sell all the furniture, cheap. Yeeeeeah, that's the ticket. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Penelope

I didn't realize it was meat truck season already....

The meat truck guy came by last week. I work nights. I was sleeping. By the time I stumbled to the front door all I saw was the backside of the guy going down my front steps as my oldest son shouted after him "...and my mom says your meat is terrible!" I have no idea what was said before that to make him beat such a hasty retreat and was happy that ds had handled it before I had to scare the guy with my "I've only been asleep two hours since working all night look/breath" combo.