Menu

If you hired someone to pet sit by staying at your house 24/7, how much would you pay

Someone I know has 2 cats and a dog. The dog is small and gets walked a couple times a day. The cats are typical cats. Everyone needs to be fed. Dog needs to be petted. Person wants pet-sitter there 24/7. What do you think is a reasonable rate for this? (The person can do anything she likes while there as long as the animals are cared for.) Just wondering. I thought the rate being paid was exceptionally high, but that might just be me. This is in a pretty upscale suburban area outside a major city.

Someone I know has 2 cats and a dog. The dog is small and gets walked a couple times a day. The cats are typical cats. Everyone needs to be fed. Dog needs to be petted. Person wants pet-sitter there 24/7. What do you think is a reasonable rate for this? (The person can do anything she likes while there as long as the animals are cared for.) Just wondering. I thought the rate being paid was exceptionally high, but that might just be me. This is in a pretty upscale suburban area outside a major city.

I pay $10 a night to board my dog. I've at times paid a neighbor girl $5 per night to feed and care for my dog but I don't feel comfortable letting her have access to my house, so that leaves my dog outside most of the time and she doesn't handle the heat well....

If you are ok with someone staying in your home, ideally you find an older teen who is thrilled just to be 'on their own' for a few days and pay them a nominal amount.

I wouldn't pay much over $10 a day....oh but then I have one pet......hmmmm....multiple pets adds up...

I pay $15-20 to board my dog.

IF I boarded my two cats, it'd be another $30, but I can pay someone $10 per day to come twice each day and feed them.

If someone would stay at my house and take care of my dog and cats (hard for me to get past the ick factor on that, although we've done it successfully in the past), I'd be willing to pay $20-25 a day. I wouldn't really care if they actually "stayed" here, I'd just expect them to sleep here at night.

There is a lady in our homeschool group (she's the grandma but does a lot of the homeschooling for her two grandkids while parents work their own business). She does pet and/or house sitting quite a bit....loves it as a way to get some time away on her own (she lives with the kids/parents). She charges $50 a day (more if there are numerous pets). She also has them stock the fridge and that's in addition to the $50.

Now, she does this mostly in the neighboring two towns where one million dollar houses were the poor folks (before the bust, not sure what they are now)....so obviously $50 a day probably seems like pocket change to some of these families.

She got these gigs through word of mouth starting out doing it as a "favor" to a customer of her son (the one she lives with and hs grandkids)....and I guess word of mouth grew quickly. She's at various houses several weeks each month...and during the summer when many of these rich families head for the cooler mountains she has stayed for months at a time.

I keep thinking this would be very cool thing to do after my kids are gone, lol.

This owner wants the person to stay there--not go to work during the day and retrun in the evening. I think it would be okay for the person to go out to the grocery store or something, but not to be gone for several hours.

That's a little different, I've never heard of a pet sitter being there ALL day.

We pay our college-age pet sitter $30/day. I also leave her $100 for food (when we've been gone 4+ days) but she never spends it.

If person is pretty much tied down to the house except for grocery runs and that sort of thing, I'd think at least $50. No, it isn't a lot of work to watch these animals (pet, feed, walk), but it is her time and she can't really do anything else during that time.

In a way it's like babysitting - you don't pay your sitter less once the kids are in bed and she's kicking back watching the TV. She's prevented from doing anything else (other employment, fun stuff/entertainment/friends, getting her own housework done, etc.). So the sitter charges an hourly rate and it isn't any different (or at least if's uncommon if some do this!) if the kids are awake and she's "working" or if they are asleep and she's relaxing. Same with a pet sitter that stays in the home and is expected to hang with the pets for most of the time.

I have two big dogs that have a fenced yard, but still get leash-walked twice a day, and two cats that need to be treated like rulers of the world. I pay $65 a day for a vet student to stay in my house and take care of everything. I stock the fridge and leave a gift card to order pizza. It would cost me $55 a day to board everybody at the only facility I know that I might consider. It is worth the extra $$ to me to know that my animals are happy at home and not in a strange place. Our local university vet school has a group of students who are available for this service. We have used the same student for the last 3 years and it has worked out wonderfully.

Before my son went away to college, he had a pet-sitting business in our neighborhood. He got paid $10 per trip, so his salary depended on how many times a day he went to walk dogs or feed cats/birds/hamsters, etc. He always had more money than I did in the summer time and Christmas vacations. Now that I am remembering this, I should have taken over his business :-)

It costs me $40/day to board both of my dogs, but I also have 2 cats. To me, having a pet/house-sitter is all about having the "perk" of not having to transport the animals, and keeping them comfy in familiar surroundings, so the rate should be more than the boarding rate.

My sil walks other people's dogs at $10/pop. Just 3 walks/day would cost me $60, and then there's still the cats. But I'd totally expect a family discount. ;)

We pay $50 a day to our pet sitter (college student) to watch our Golden Retriever (I don't think that our new sitter walks him) and indoor cat. We stock the fridge with her favorite foods and always leave her a "Treat basket" (little snacks, highlighters for school, cute post-it notes, a magazine, etc). We travel a few weekends a month from November-June and it's really money spent for our peace of mind.

For someone who can hardly leave the house, $50 sounds almost cheap! I have two very large dogs and a cat - to board them it costs about $80 a day! Not the same as a small pet, but to expect someone to stay here all week with very few trips out of the house, $50 seems reasonable.

I have no clue. We always just asked a college student if they wanted to stay at our house over their vacation. No wild parties but other than that, they were free to do what they wanted. They usually jumped at the offer to be on their own. We just gave them a $50 gift card as a thanks when we returned. We figured it was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

It is beyond me why the person would be expected to not leave the house though.

Hey Laurie, This is a great new concept, to me, that my sister told me about...maybe 1 year ago. We've ALWAYS had a hard time finding pet sitters. Our friends don't have dogs :glare: or they have small dogs. I prefer someone/ a sitter to know how to handle our large breed lab!

A neighbor told me about a girl who works at the local grocery store that does indeed in-home pet sitting. I'm at that store alot and I found her one day as I proceeded through her aisle for checkout of my groceries.

So......I had found her. My dh is NOT on board with doing this b/c he doesn't like the idea of someone having access to our computer, filing cabinets and such. I'm on board with it, b/c those things can be secured. Back to dh, he'd feel more comfortable if it was someone we knew.

We actually found someone who will watch our lab in their house next week when we go on vacation. We are giving her $10/night! A friend and her ds will come 3 times in 1 week to check our cat and I'll give him $5 ONLY b/c they have to drive here....although it's only a 2 minute drive....same neighborhood.

Our neighbor will water the veggie garden and we won't pay $$ for that, but will give her fresh, organic produce from our garden as pay't.

Price...I think it depends on age and experience. They will have the benefit of using your air conditioning, water, etc. It's not like they will spend every second with them. I think $20/night approx for all 3 would be more than adequate. I wouldn't worry about how high the housing market is. My sister lives in a nice neigborhood and the Mom across the street from her won't allow her daughter to accept anymore than $3 to walk the street to care for my sister's 2 cats. Cats are easier than dogs.

HTH. Can't believe such a long reply on this topic. :lol: Sheryl <><

We have LOTS of animals though (see my sig)...

If we take the dogs with us we pay $40 for 2 home visits per day.

If the dogs stay we pay $75 per day for 4 home visits.

If pet sitter says over night it is more like $75 plus a stocked fridge.

We do have a few 'luxury' amenities (home theater room, pool table, hot tub)... so we do not have trouble finding a friend to come and stay if all of us are going away at the same time.

Because of the horse, boarding is out of the question... and we are rural so a close 'neighbor' is over a mile a way!

Oh geez, I've been doing this for nuthin'! I think I need to reevaluate. I've been house sitting, pet sitting, and kid sitting for 3 or more days on several occasions for a friend and got nada. She knows I'm addicted to diet soda and she doesn't even have any available for me so I have to bring my own. Now that does bug me. You'd think if someone is doing you that big of favor at least you could have their favorite drink on hand. :crying: I'm supposed to do this again for 6 days in July: 2 kids (18 and 12 so they really aren't difficult), 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a pool to care for so I think I might mention at least supplying me with my soda this time. :) And no, the kids don't do the chores which is weird to me because my kids take care of all that sort of stuff. Oh and the dogs have to go out at 4am. Sigh, I sort of needed that mini vent. I would never say it to her since she is a really good friend and a single mom.

we pay $115 per day (and I think this is going up to $135) when we go away. Our pet sitter, whom I know personally but only have a business relationship with, comes to the house 3 - 4 times per day and clears her calendar completely when we are her customer.

She puts out the hay in the morning, feeds the horse and pony, feeds (now) 4 pigs, lets out the ducks, fills their pool. Lets out the dogs, lets out the cats, uncovers the birds, feeds dogs, scoops litter boxes of cats and ferrets, gives guinea pigs orange, checks water and food of all caged animals.

Lunch time - checks on all farm animals, walks dogs, checks on everyone's water.

Evening - feeds llamas, pigs, horse, pony pigs, ducks, closes pigs up in barn. Muck stalls. Lets out dogs, lets in cats. Feeds all house pets, covers bird cage.

Morning and evening visit are about 2 - 2.5 hours each. Morning chores take me about 20 minutes, evening about 20 - 30, but I do this every day. It's different for her and most of her customers have only cats and dogs. We are a challenging customer. :tongue_smilie:

She calls me with any questions or concerns, has had to almost take an animals to the vet for us (it bothered her so much that she couldn't wait a day for us to get home, but I was able to tell her how to treat the animal) She's had to run several towns away to get llama food when the local feed store was out and I forgot to go pick it up. She has administered medications to my large horse. She's AWESOME and worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. We had a neighbor watch our farm once and my animals were so afraid they wouldn't approach me for several days, and even then, were very skittish.

To board our dogs is $60 per day, but it's been years since I checked. This way everyone is taken care of, the dogs get walked, and everyone stays in their own home.

Drum roll....

This person is paying $100 per day for a single, unemployed friend to be at pet owner's home with the pets. The actual work involved is walking the dog a couple times a day and feeding the cats and dog a couple times a day. So probably about an hour total work per day, along with the desire that someone is just there to keep the animals company (and do whatever she wants to otherwise.) I told her I thought that was about double what was appropriate. She feels guilty for not paying an hourly wage. This is someone whose animals are her "children," but on the other hand, for whom this amount of money is a sacrifice as she is on fixed income. <sigh> I was wondering if my thinking in terms of the amount was totally out of line or if it is at it seemed--that she was paying way too much.

Edited by Laurie4b

Oh geez, I've been doing this for nuthin'! I think I need to reevaluate. I've been house sitting, pet sitting, and kid sitting for 3 or more days on several occasions for a friend and got nada. She knows I'm addicted to diet soda and she doesn't even have any available for me so I have to bring my own. Now that does bug me. You'd think if someone is doing you that big of favor at least you could have their favorite drink on hand. :crying: I'm supposed to do this again for 6 days in July: 2 kids (18 and 12 so they really aren't difficult), 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a pool to care for so I think I might mention at least supplying me with my soda this time. :) And no, the kids don't do the chores which is weird to me because my kids take care of all that sort of stuff. Oh and the dogs have to go out at 4am. Sigh, I sort of needed that mini vent. I would never say it to her since she is a really good friend and a single mom.

WHAT??? Wow. You are one NICE, NICE friend. But I think this lady is taking advantage of you to ask this of you for 6 days!!! 1-2 days is one thing. Does she offer something similar in return, such as watching your kids, house, pets? You are babysitting/house-sitting/pet-sitting all at once. When I used to use overnight sitters 8-10 years ago, they charged $100-125/24 hour period. So I'm guessing if this friend of yours had to pay someone to do this job, she'd be looking at close to $750 these days.

WHAT??? Wow. You are one NICE, NICE friend. But I think this lady is taking advantage of you to ask this of you for 6 days!!! 1-2 days is one thing. Does she offer something similar in return, such as watching your kids, house, pets? You are babysitting/house-sitting/pet-sitting all at once. When I used to use overnight sitters 8-10 years ago, they charged $100-125/24 hour period. So I'm guessing if this friend of yours had to pay someone to do this job, she'd be looking at close to $750 these days.

And I can't for the life of me figure out why the 18 year old isn't taking care of things while mom is away...:confused:

You are being taken advantage of.

Drum roll....

This person is paying $100 per day for a single, unemployed friend to be at pet owner's home with the pets. The actual work involved is walking the dog a couple times a day and feeding the cats and dog a couple times a day. So probably about an hour total work per day, along with the desire that someone is just there to keep the animals company (and do whatever she wants to otherwise.) I told her I thought that was about double what was appropriate. She feels guilty for not paying an hourly wage. This is someone whose animals are her "children," but on the other hand, for whom this amount of money is a sacrifice as she is on fixed income. <sigh> I was wondering if my thinking in terms of the amount was totally out of line or if it is at it seemed--that she was paying way too much.

I think you'd find some people paying this much for that job, but I'm guessing it isn't the norm. The poster who has all the farm animals and house pet has been paying $115/day and it sounds like her animals are quite a bit more work (plus the drive to get the llama food, and other issues that won't come up with a dog and 2 cats).

This job sounds more like "house-sitting" (that'd be an interesting thread to see how much people pay for that) and I seem to remember from my single days 15+ years ago that my friends would make about $30-$50/day doing this and it sometimes included a pet. It was thought of more as house-sitting even they had pets. House-sitter will water plants, make sure lights are on/off, shades up/down, pipes don't freeze, etc.

Several posters mentioned that the pet-sitter gets the use of A/C, water, etc. That is true, but I don't think that matters to most pet-sitters. When I have someone babysitting, I don't consider that they are using my A/C, TV, DVD player and take that into account when paying. I think the main thing is that this is still a job and although it is an easy job, she is still tied up and her life is on hold a bit. When I did a bit of house-sitting I did enjoy it, but it was still a bit of a pain and I didn't really care that I used their shower or my own. Sometimes it was easier to shower at my place so I didn't have to lug all my stuff over there. And then I felt obligated to clean the bathroom, too. So - just saying that I don't think it's really useful or fair to factor in use of A/C or water or anything else (other than food) when someone is doing a job in your home.

we live at the shore and we used to have dh's aunt who lives several hours away, stay at our house, while we were gone ,to watch our cats. We didn't pay her anything but she got a house at the shore, close enough to visit part of the family but still be on her own. She loved staying here. She doesn't stay anymore as she is older.

So now, when we are gone, our next door neighbor comes over a couple of times a day to take care of our cats. The bonuses are : she spends several hours here, our cats know her, she has cats herself and she has volunteered at the local animal shelter so could handle emergencies. Once when we were on a cruise, our area had a freak heat wave. Our neighbor came over and turned on the air conditioner and/or ceiling fans and kept a close eye on our cats. She is a single lady so for payment (which she never wants to take, but we make her) we will get her a $100.00 gift card to the local supermarket. This is for her taking care of them for anywhere from 4 to 7 days.

I pay $40/day for someone to stay overnights at our home to pet sit (and we round up to the nearest day). I don't require them to be there 24/7, but they can't leave for more than 8 (or so) hours at a time and need to spend every night there. We have 4 dogs, 4 cats, 2 goats, etc. . . but it is actually fairly easy b/c the dogs just go in and out our back yard (no walking).

I think we are lucky to have people who will do this happily for 40/day. We live in a low wages area. In a major city/suburb, I think I'd be lucky to find someone for 60-80/day.

I have relative who pays $100/day for walking, caring for, feeding three elderly dogs who have special needs, feeding and caring for koi in a pond, watering and tending to extensive landscaping in a dry climate, and having the house ready for them to return.

It's a bit of work, but they've never had trouble getting someone to come and meet their requirements. They don't mind them being gone for 3-4 hours here and there, but not more than that. Periodically they've had a friend who had other business in the area do it for free for just a place to stay, but they usually pay.

We have paid between $150-250 per week. The person stays at our home and we stock the refrigerator/freezer. They have the run of the house - with the 2 dogs, 3 cat, and 6 chickens. Responsibilities include feeding the animals, gathering eggs, watering the gardens, and managing the pool. Ironically, the person to whom we paid the most did the least and, I found out later, doesn't particularly like dogs :glare: We usually have a single college student or high schooler who drives.

I think prices for just about everything are cheaper in Oklahoma than just about anywhere else in the nation.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm being rude about my friend but honest. Her mother lives locally but she doesn't want to ask her to take care of things because her mother would complain before, during and after. She doesn't want to leave the kids on their own because she feels it's unfair to ask that much of her son and she'd worry about them. So basically, I'm asked to do it because a) I don't complain and b) I'm the only one who's inconvenienced. Well, except for my family but that doesn't affect her. So the kids get to stay at home, the dogs don't have to be kenneled and the house is occupied. A win, win, win for her. And no, she doesn't reciprocate. Why do I do it? I dunno....I'd feel guilty saying no?