Menu

DH: "Honey, what should I serve the kids for breakfast?"

Me: "Just make them some toast with either a nut butter or eggs."

Later...... "What did you finally give the kids for breakfast?"

DH: "I did what you said... I made toast with peanut butter and eggs."

Me: "Together?" :confused::001_huh:

DH: "Yes."

Me: "Oh, okay." :tongue_smilie:

***I only share this little interaction to let you know that 10 years ago I would have flipped out over this, i.e., "What in the world? I did not say together. Who eats peanut butter and eggs together?! Bla, Bla, Bla...."

Today, I just :chillpill:. He made it, they ate it - who cares? It makes for a much happier marriage. Now if I could only feel that way about him mixing whites and darks in the laundry....

Have you mellowed out in your marriage? If so, how?

Edited by rookie

:lol::lol::lol: Wow, you're that pregnant and managed not to say snarky things? You're an amazing wife :lol: Your DH is hilarious, and so are your kids. Mine would have flipped out if he handed them that. Thankfully, he's a great cook, and they prefer his fancy omelets to my plain scrambled eggs :glare:

ETA: To answer your follow-up question, I think I have, but only a tiny bit (I'm pretty tightly wound to begin with!). I finally learned that some things do not NEED to be said, even if that little voice in your head is screaming them. This morning we had a couch delivery, and DH paid the guys to take the old, heavy couch out. I wanted them to put it in the garage, because I want to see if I can Freecycle it, and bulk pickup isn't until Monday. DH wanted to leave it in the side yard until pickup day. Today I asked him to have the guys take the couch to the garage, and he said he'd tell them to leave it in the driveway. I asked why, and he pointed to the angle of our stairs down to the garage. I said, "OK" and kept on walking, without pointing out that the garage is connected to...the driveway! After the guys left, I asked where the couch was. It's in the garage :D

Edited by melissel

That is funny. Good response. Something you can all laugh about for years. My dh go to breakfast for the kids is pancakes. They love it. Yes, I have chilled through the years. Now if something comes up that I would have had a meltdown over. I calmly express my feelings but trust his judgement completely.

I have definately mellowed and it is much better.

How so? I just don't argue with him as much. If I think he is wrong, he will figure it out on his own. Mind you, I am not this easy going all the time, but more so than I used to be.

Also, I like to think that after 22 years, I don't annoy him just to have something to do. Generally, we communicate well, and don't let things build up, just enjoy being together.

Debbi

Ok, is that toast with peanut butter and a side of eggs, or toast with eggs and peanut butter? If it's the latter, then I can't believe they ate it! :lol: If it's the former, then I'm not sure why it would be considered strange...

:iagree:

peanut-butter-on-toast.jpg img_1207.jpg

(can't find a picture with a toast, peanut butter and egg sandwich)

Oh yeah ... I think I have mellowed but I need a little more tweaking in that department (especially when it comes to bathing suits and teenage girls - at least according to my DD (but that's another thread)).

I'm trying to chill, but dh is getting crazy. Saturday we had an argument over whether I was angry or not. :glare::lol:

We've done that. He will say I look angry. I will say, "I'm not angry, I'm just not smiling. That's my face. The same one I had 11 1/2 years ago when we met." He will continue to comment that I look angry. Then I start getting angry.

Definitely mellow after 24 years... Proof?

DH, about to start a load of wash: Does the detergent go where it says detergent, or where it says bleach?

Me (with perfectly straight face and not a HINT of sarcasm): Where it says detergent.

DH: Thanks.

Of course, after he left the room, I stabbed myself in the forehead with a fork...:001_rolleyes:

We've been married 15 years and I've definitely chilled. When I'm tempted to think crazy, I remember that Elisabeth Elliot says to concentrate on the 85% of the husband that you like and to leave the other 15% alone. It helps a lot!

Mickie

Now those are words to live by. But, I might venture to say it is more like a 50/50 split. LOL. Just joking.

That's hilarious. No way would my kids have eaten it though!

I am WAY more mellow now than even a few years ago. I made a conscious decision not to argue about things that don't matter. So, when I know I'm right and DH is wrong (:tongue_smilie:), I state my position once and if he insists he is right, I let it go.

Just the other day he then asked me if I agreed with him and I said "No, but I'm saving my arguments for something I consider important." :)

Pegasus