Menu

Front loading washing machines

I was contemplating buying one since my Calypso is dying a slow and painful death. But, the repair man says to save my money and buy a top loader/agitater type. He is not impressed with any of the front loaders.

I am curious what the consumers opinion is on this?

We have a larger family and do so much laundry :blink:

I really need a washer I can count on...

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!

:bigear:

Michelle

I have a front loader. I love it. It's a Fridgidaire, the kind that can be stacked with the dryer--full size, but not girnormous. :-) It's quiet and gets the clothes clean. It doesn't beat up the clothes, either, the way a top-loader's agitator does. I've never had in problems with it in the 6 years I've had it.

top-loader for 3 years. We do a ton of laundry and I love that it uses less water. But, get the service agreement. Ours has been serviced 4 times and they were all major repairs - new drum, new water pump (twice), I don't remember what else.

I also have an LG. I've been mostly happy with mine. You do need to watch out for the mildew smell that they are prone to, but once you figure out how to prevent it, it's fine. I've had mine for about a year so it's too soon to see if it needs a lot of repairs. The things I love most about my front-loader are these:

1. I can wash much bigger loads. I can wash my king size comforter in it, no problem.

2. I love that I can program it to run in the morning while I'm still in bed so when I wake up I can move the load to the dryer and start another load.

These two factors alone save me when I've let the laundry pile up. It gets done much faster. The one thing to consider also is the cycles take close to an hour, unless you use the short cycle which on mine is 20 minutes.

If I were you, I'd do a search on the board for "front-loaders" and you'll see several threads where some of their pros and cons are discussed. :D

1st, we have 8 people in our home and own a WhirlPool "Cabrio" Toploader. I really do like it, I can fit alot of clothes in this. But, it has been serviced at least 4 times, yesterday the water pump broke, again. water everywhere. So, I called WP and they paid all the parts and labor. The serviceman told me that all the new washers (top and front loading) and dishwashers have cheap water pumps. He showed me. Watch yourself with losing money, buttons, or small objects. They go right through the cracks and break the water pump. These machines are not like the older ones that could take anything getting lost in a machine. They cost the consumer alot but are cheaply made.

Ours also had a new motor put in...right after the service agreement ran out.

:glare:

Oh, the serviceman also said that Fridgidaire just sent out a notice that they will not replace anymore parts for free after (I believe) 18 months.

So, please do a search and really investigate before you buy.

Hope this helps.

I have a front loader. I love it. It's a Fridgidaire, the kind that can be stacked with the dryer--full size, but not girnormous. :-) It's quiet and gets the clothes clean. It doesn't beat up the clothes, either, the way a top-loader's agitator does. I've never had in problems with it in the 6 years I've had it.

Thanks good to know~ I was looking at those.. I need the stackable kind in my new house because thats all I have space for. ;)

I have a front loader (my 2nd) and have for the last 12 years. We replaced it this year. I love it. The new one has more bells and whistles, but had apparently sat in the showroom for too long :001_smile: I like the boil cycle because it kills dust mites, which several of us are allergic to. The boil cycle really does gets whites whiter, even than using bleach.

Well, there's always one, and today it's me--I hate my front loader. It's an LG, and it takes forever to wash the clothes (over an hour), and the clothes don't seem as clean, and it seems to hold less than my old washer (I thought it would hold more, as that's the reputation they have). I'll be going back to a top loader, hopefully high end, when this piece of crapola dies, which can't be soon enough for me.

I agree with the repairman. I had an LG front loader (purchased in 2004) and it was a pain in the behind. Of course I bought mine long before all the mold issues were disclosed and even though I always kept the door open between loads and wiped out the seal the mold grew between the tubs. It had too be serviced to many times to count and last year it finally died. LG service was always horrible when I called. When I replaced it last year I bought a Fisher Paykel ecosmart toploader. I LOVE IT!! It seems to fit more than my old front loader and has a direct drive system, so there is no transmission to go (what finally did in my LG) It spins the clothes just a well as the front loader too. We noticed that it seems to get the clothes cleaner and I love that I can use either regular or HE detergent (I just use the new Purex laundry sheets) I've had the washer about a year now and thought just to see I'd take the top off and check between the tubs to see if there was any mold or soap build up etc. NOTHING, it was clean as a whistle. This past Feb. I bought the matching dryer (which also loads from the top, it's really neat) and it's just as fabulous as the washer.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I wish I loved my front loader, but I just don't. I have had a Kenmore HE2 Plus for 4 years. There are no problems with it cleaning the clothes, but the mildew problem (you can google "front loader and mildew" for more info) has led me to never want one again. In our current house the washing machine door opens to the garage door - which we always use to go in and out of the house, so it is impractical to always leave it open to completely dry and this has led to mildew around the rubber seal. I wipe the rubber seal after using it but there is always a moldy smell that never goes away. We've used recommended cleaners (takes the smell away for about 1-2 loads) and looked into replacing the seal, but it is over $100 and we fear that in its current location it will get moldy again.

Sorry to complain, but I am just not a fan! If anyone has advice for me, I'd love to accept it.

We are a family of 6 with a Kenmore front loader. I love it. I hope nothing bad ever happens to it. It has a very large capacity and doesn't "walk" like my old Maytag top-loader. I average about 2-3 loads per day. I also use cloth diapers. I've had this washer for about 4 years now. I had one issue with it 6 months after purchase. It needed a new door seal because it had warped and was leaking. The washer was still under warranty so the replacement seal didn't cost me anything. I haven't had any issues with it since then. I've never had the moldy/mildew problem although I have heard that from others. I don't know what we might do differently than others because I actually DON'T clean my very often. Our washer is in a laundry area adjacent to our kitchen...not in a basement or garage. I also do multiple loads of bleached laundry every week since I bleach our towels, sheets, dishtowels and cloth napkins. I also bleach our diapers our occasion. I've wondered if I don't have the mildew problem because of the frequent bleached loads, the location of the washer, and possibly the frequency of use? The washer is running everyday. It doesn't sit idle. We live in a very humid climate so I was expecting a mold problem, but it just hasn't happened. I've been very happy with our washer. I have some horrible experiences with the longevity of my dishwashers (4 in 9 years) and my crockpots (6 in 12 years), but no complaints about this washer (it has outlasted my previous 2 top loaders).

We have a Bosch and I'm not crazy about it. We don't have that mildew smell, however. After EVERY load, I take a cloth diaper and dry off the seal inside, and I dry off the glass door. I also put a washcloth in between the door and the washer to keep the door open a little. So, to me, this is pretty high maintenance for an expensive washing machine.:glare:We were also told to use powdered HE detergent by the store, which we do. We also use HE fabric softener, which seems a bit thinner than regular fabric softener. But you know what??The clothes never smeall fresh. I'm weird but I love that fabric softener smell, and well, our clothes just smell blah.

It takes about an hour to do a load and the capacity of the washer isn't huge but I knew that going in. We're a small family of 3 so that doesn't bother me. It doesn't jump around like some others have done during the spin cycle, but there is quite a bit of vibration. it sounds like you're inside an airplane taking off. :lol:Other than the spin cycle it is VERY quiet which was important to me since our laundry room is upstairs right next to the bedrooms. I do walk around the house during the fast spin cycle telling my family to place their seats in the upright position and remain seated until the pilot turns off the seatbelt sign! :lol:

I think it does a mediocre job of cleaning the clothes, with the exception of whites, and they do get very clean (I do use bleach.) Stain removal is terrible.

I'm honestly sorry I bought it. I debated and debated between the middle of the line Bosch and the top loading Fisher Paykel and I regret not buying the Fisher Paykel. (However our Fisher Paykel dish drawers (dishwasher) have broken TWICE during the first year we've had them. Luckily it's a 2 year warranty.) I'm not even sure it's such an energy saver because I now use warm water to wash everything when I used to use cold water for all but whites. It does use minimal water but the cost of heating the water probably negates the savings.

I honestly can't wait until it dies! I'm going right back to the good old top loaders. I do like the Bosch dryer, however. no complaints there.

Hope this helps!

Nan

Edited by iammommy

I had a front loader and hated it. I had a GE Profile and apparently there's a problem with them??? Anyone else experience this? I researched them because after the 2 year mark it was really frustrating.

I had to take the front off and empty the "catch" before each wash or it would back up.

I had so many problems with leaks (and right outside of laundry room is hardwood).

The large inner rubber ring on the inside cracked frequently and needed replacement (someone told me to towel is off after laundry and keep the door open to allow it to dry and prevent mold or cracking. I toweled it off, that was it...my bad.)

It "ate" a sock on 2 different occasions and leaked...all over.

So for me the constant leaking and water damage was ENOUGH... back to a used top loader now and happy.

We have a Bosch and I'm not crazy about it. We don't have that mildew smell, however. After EVERY load, I take a cloth diaper and dry off the seal inside, and I dry off the glass door. I also put a washcloth in between the door and the washer to keep the door open a little. So, to me, this is pretty high maintenance for an expensive washing machine.:glare:We were also told to use powdered HE detergent by the store, which we do. We also use HE fabric softener, which seems a bit thinner than regular fabric softener. But you know what??The clothes never smeall fresh. I'm weird but I love that fabric softener smell, and well, our clothes just smell blah.

I've never had problems with mildew-smelly stuff. I never dry out the tub or leave the door open.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not with problems like that, but I use Amway laundry products exclusively.

I've had my Kenmore front loader for about 6 years and never had an issue. Never had any kind of mildew/smell... the first I heard of that was here on the WTM board. When the time comes I will definitely be getting another.

We love ours (Frigidaire). It sounds like there's a HUGE difference between brands! Ours has lasted 11 years so far, with no sign of slowing down. The kids can use it easily, it holds a lot, never had a mold problem, I use just a tiny bit of regular detergent (never bothered buying the expensive HE stuff).

We have a Maytag Epic frontloader and I LOVE it!!! We also had a stupid Sears "Callapso" before we got our new one and I swear, that washer was the biggest piece of garbage ever manufactured. When the delivery guys came to install my new washer, they asked if I wanted to take a sledge hammer to it on the driveway before they hauled it away. I was very tempted. :smash:

Diane W.

married 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I was contemplating buying one since my Calypso is dying a slow and painful death. But, the repair man says to save my money and buy a top loader/agitater type. He is not impressed with any of the front loaders.

I am curious what the consumers opinion is on this?

We have a larger family and do so much laundry :blink:

I really need a washer I can count on...

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!

:bigear:

Michelle

I have a Whirlpool Duet, and I absolutely love it! We've had it two years, and have never had a problem with it. The day we got it, my children started doing their own laundry. Even my 4yo can do almost everything herself! It cleans beautifully, and spins the clothes almost dry.

I do leave the door open after use, to facilitate drying the inside (to prevent mold). I haven't had any problem with mold whatsoever.

I love the large capacity. I love that it doesn't tug and rub my clothes to dust. I have noticeably less lint in the dryer with this washer than I did with my top loader.

I'll never get another top loader (if I can help it).

I love my Asko front loader in America, and the Siemens one here in India is good, too. I love how they both have an internal heating element, so I don't have to rely on hot water from the water heater. I wash cloth diapers every other day, and they are sanitized with the 90 C cycle.

The 1200/1600 rpm spin is great, too, for having things half dry when they come out, which really cuts down on time in the dryer or on the line/rack.

I really cannot say enough good about front loaders, and only wish I hadn't spent most of the 90s with my Maytag top loader.

Note to new moms: If you plan to use cloth diapers, consider getting a front loader with its own internal heating element (not all of them have them), for the reason mentioned above.;)

Edited by jld

Here in the UK you barely ever see top loaders. Every one I know has front loaders.

We have a bosch excell wasing machine and its fab, a real workhorse, hasn't had anything wrong with it since we bought it about 6 years ago. We do occasionally get that damp smell. When that happens I just run a 90 degree wash and clean the pump (there is a drain thing on the front) and clean the seal every now and then. We also put a wash through with citricidal occasionally.

I love our Frigidaire. We're hard on washers and it's never had a problem. I do run the sanitize cycle once or twice a week. I've never had mildew issues.

My favorite thing is that I can set laundry to run on a delay cycle. I almost always have a load set to wash before we get up. It's spinning out usually as we finish breakfast. I'm never behind on laundry anymore. It also uses less water by far compared to our top loader.

The only drawback for me is that it drips when I open the door and I dislike that. I mean we've got the thing to catch it but it still bugs me. I also found top loaders easier to load/unload.

I don't know if the washer is better but I had a Fisher/Paykel top load dryer. We had problem after problem with the thermostat shorting out and the thing wouldn't heat. Then it would take forever to get a repair person, get back ordered parts, etc. And it still wouldn't work and they'd order more parts. Lowe's finally took it back. I felt lucky with that because I feared we were stuck with a machine. It worked fine during the first month so we were past the return policy. It broke the first time about 40 days after we bought it. It worked properly exactly 2 loads in the next 3.5 months. It was a nightmare. Basically, I was very unhappy with the Fisher/Paykel warranty service/customer service and their product too.

I just got a front loader for the 1st time and I love it! The clothes are cleaner, it uses practically no water, less detergent, and they spin so much drier! I would never go back to a top loader. I dry off the seal when I am done for the day to absorb all extra water out of it and never shut the door. I had mold issues with my old one so I will once a month run vinegar through it. It is also gentler on clothes since they are not swished around so violently. Just be sure to zip zippers so that clothes don't get snagged. Go for it!!

FWIW I just got a floor model from Home Depot-GE for only $500 reduced b/c it was scratched. Great place to find bargains!

I love our Frigidaire. We're hard on washers and it's never had a problem. I do run the sanitize cycle once or twice a week. I've never had mildew issues.

My favorite thing is that I can set laundry to run on a delay cycle. I almost always have a load set to wash before we get up. It's spinning out usually as we finish breakfast. I'm never behind on laundry anymore. It also uses less water by far compared to our top loader.

The only drawback for me is that it drips when I open the door and I dislike that. I mean we've got the thing to catch it but it still bugs me. I also found top loaders easier to load/unload.

I don't know if the washer is better but I had a Fisher/Paykel top load dryer. We had problem after problem with the thermostat shorting out and the thing wouldn't heat. Then it would take forever to get a repair person, get back ordered parts, etc. And it still wouldn't work and they'd order more parts. Lowe's finally took it back. I felt lucky with that because I feared we were stuck with a machine. It worked fine during the first month so we were past the return policy. It broke the first time about 40 days after we bought it. It worked properly exactly 2 loads in the next 3.5 months. It was a nightmare. Basically, I was very unhappy with the Fisher/Paykel warranty service/customer service and their product too.

That is so smart! I have a delay option but never thought about using it until you mentioned that.

I've had a Frigidaire front loader for 4 years and I love it. I haven't had any mold/mildew issues but do leave the little detergent drawer and the door open after I do a load, just in case. I use Tide HE, no fabric softener, and only use bleach maybe once or twice a year.

I love that I can wash huge items like queen sized comforters and sleeping bags. With no agitator to catch things on, I can wash delicates, backpacks, and even ds's new polyester tux :D