Menu

About vocab programs . . .

what has been your experience in this area? Would you feel comfortable recommending a particular program? Do you feel strongly against using programs? Anything you can share would probably help out those of us wondering about this. Thank you!:)

Well, we used Word Roots for a couple of years, and when they did the post-tests, it seemed like almost nothing had stuck.

This year they did Caesar's English, and it has stuck like glue. The retention is wonderful! I also love that it compares the Latin roots to both English words and Spanish words.

Ds started vocab this year (6th grade). We're using Vocabulary from Classical Roots. That, combined with actually studying Latin, seems to have turned a light bulb on in his head that I feel should be very useful when it comes to SATs, and certainly won't hurt him when studying lit, history, and science.

I see no reason to do vocab with my younger kids. They have enough on their plates, and pick up a decent vocabulary through conversation.

I don't feel strongly against programmes, but I think that children brought up with the kind of literature-rich education that WTM promotes may find them to be busy work. I have two avid readers, steeped in Roger Lancelyn-Green and Puffin Classics; they both have great vocabularies despite having used no targeted programme.

Best wishes

Laura

My boys used Wordly Wise and not only did both hate it, long term retention didn't happen.

With oldest dd, I think she needs a better vocabulary. She's an avid reader but I don't believe that reading increases her vocabulary at all. She does read some fun books for fluff, but I always pick out rich reads for her. It hasn't made an impact on her vocabulary and I'm thinking she needs some sort of formal study.

There are several vocabulary programs which I like. Whether I teach with one depends upon the child. When a child is a heavy reader and possesses the inborn curiosity to look words up in a dictionary, (or to ask someone for a definition), no vocabulary program is needed. When a child is content to skip over words and not care whether or not he knows what they mean, then I feel a structured vocabulary program is in order.

Edited by Orthodox6

We use Word Smart by Princeton Review which will take four years to complete. Our method involves reviewing a new list of about ten words for approximately 15" on Sunday and then reviewing for 5-10" Monday through Saturday. My son has retained many of the words, and it's easy to do.

His school uses the Sadlier-Oxford books which are more thorough than Princeton Review's.

My husband's method is to write down words he doesn't know and then look them up in the dictionary.

ETA: I agree with Orthodox6.

We started with both books of English from the Roots Up. Then we did Wordly-Wise. I was thinking of discontinuing Wordly-Wise last year as all of my boys test rather highly in English/Writing, BUT they said they liked them and thought they were worthwhile, so we continued with them.

Did they help or change their scores? Who knows? My oldest (who had the least experience with Wordly-Wise due to not homeschooling until 9th grade) has the lowest English standardized scores (roughly 92nd percentile). My youngest has the highest (99th). My middle son (also VERY high as per standardized tests 98 - 99th) reads the most, my youngest only reads non-fiction or when we make him read.

We'll be continuing with Wordly-Wise.

There are several vocabulary programs which I like. Whether I teach with one depends upon the child. When a child is a heavy reader and possesses the inborn curiosity to look words up in a dictionary, (or to ask someone for a definition), no vocabulary program is needed. When a child is content to skip over words and not care whether or not he knows what they mean, then I feel a structured vocabulary program is in order.

:iagree: Once again.

Our approach has been a combination of quality and older literature, Latin study, and exposure to adults speaking at a higher vocabulary level (pastor, friends, dh and I never using dumbed down words) up until junior high. Then we started a formal vocabulary program in 7th grade (Vocabulary from Classical Roots.) I plan to continue with another high school program, probably IEW's new series.

We tried Wordly Wise and a few other programs, but they usually knew all the words from reading or conversation. If they did not have that exposure, I absolutely would have used WW or another program all along.

When a child is a heavy reader and possesses the inborn curiosity to look words up in a dictionary, (or to ask someone for a definition), no vocabulary program is needed. When a child is content to skip over words and not care whether or not he knows what they mean, then I feel a structured vocabulary program is in order.

:iagree::iagree:

Unfortunately I don't have any children who look up words they don't know as they are reading. I don't do it either. It's a pain and messes up the flow of the story. I guess I've passed on my bad habits. ;)

We use Wordly Wise (the original) currently. It's fairly quick and painless. It also helps fine tune words they THOUGHT they already knew and it teaches alternate meanings to words they are already quite familiar with. I've learned alot myself. Also they are required to use their vocabulary words (one per paragraph) in their writing. I incorporate it into their IEW checklists.

My boys used Wordly Wise and not only did both hate it, long term retention didn't happen.

My daughter didn't hate WW, but did all nine books and says she doesn't remember anything. :glare:

Studying roots is much more successful around here. We use a small roots book I found with the game Rummy Roots.

Unfortunately I don't have any children who look up words they don't know as they are reading. I don't do it either. It's a pain and messes up the flow of the story. I guess I've passed on my bad habits. ;)

My mother insisted that my brother and I look up words as we read. We were not homeschooled, but she gave us at-home support and enrichment to an extent that I now am able to appreciate (with awe). She drilled us on material for school tests (up through my 6th grade, then she returned to the work force) so thoroughly, there was no question possible, based on the schoolbooks, that we could not answer correctly. It was enjoyable, too. Mom would have made a superior homeschool teacher !

It's not necessarily a bad habit. The skill of understanding a word's meaning from context clues is very important. I prefer to teach this skill instead of having dc look everything up. We save the dictionary for words that we can't get from context. If you read a word in several classic books, you will put together the meaning very naturally. MCT has a great bit on this in Classics in the Classroom.

Guest Katia

For me, I read all of Dr. Ruth Beechick's books and understood and agreed with her educational philosophies when it came to learning language arts. We used a program based on her philosophies (Learning Language Arts Through Literature) and because I understood the reasoning and 'hows' and 'whys', I was able to see that my dc learned vocabulary without a specific program. It just wasn't necessary and when we tried it, we found it was a total waste of time and money.

However, just dropping it wouldn't be a good idea. I would suggest that you read some educator's philosophies and see which ones work for you and your dc. Some find SWB's ideas of using vocabulary workbooks to work for them. We did not, but found Dr. Beechick's methods to work for us. Reading the author's actual works/books helps you to really understand the methodology behind the philosophy, kwim?

:iagree: and I'd add "look words up OR gets them from context". I just got words from context - I think this is a skill that also allows me to learn foreign languages easily. But I've noticed my kids do not do this as naturally, which has surprised me - if you'd've asked me when they were younger, I would've said vocab study was a waste of time - just read a lot. But it ends up adding some roots study has really helped them - some kids need it pointed out more explicitly, I guess.

After all these years and trying tons of vocabulary curriculum, I am going to save my money this time around. I will just preview books and have the kids write the definitions before they read the chapter or book, depending on age. Learning in context is the best way in my opinion.

Later we will go through the 5000 SAT words to see how many they do know. With the right literature, they should know them all, or at least the majority of them.

I don't agree with everyone that says reading is enough. I was a very well read child and I think the most valuable part of my public school education was the time as a senior that we spent on intense vocab study. I haven't yet found the program I want but we had lists of words with roots/prefixes/suffixes. We had to be able to look at those words, tell the meaning of each part and give both the literal and functional definitions of the words as well as their language origin. I honestly taught myself medical transcription with nothing but that knowledge and a medical dictionary. I am going to make sure my girls get the same vocab study.

:iagree: and I'd add "look words up OR gets them from context". I just got words from context - I think this is a skill that also allows me to learn foreign languages easily. But I've noticed my kids do not do this as naturally, which has surprised me - if you'd've asked me when they were younger, I would've said vocab study was a waste of time - just read a lot. But it ends up adding some roots study has really helped them - some kids need it pointed out more explicitly, I guess.

Good point ! I guess I did not mention context clues, because if they helped me to understand a word, then obviously I did not need to look it up ! :)

Studying word roots is an educational practice of later date than when I went through school. I definitely agree that such an approach vastly expands the working vocabulary.

I don't have an opinion on vocabulary programs. I do think that older kids at some point would benefit from some type of program with word roots etc.

The reason that I'm posting is I remember some study that found the more time a kid spent with their father in a day, the larger their vocabulary was (on average). I just thought that was an interesting thought. I know my DH and I will use different vocabulary at times, because of upbringing, education, or interests. So I can see that being around a father could expand vocabulary just like reading lots of books.

Guest Katia

I hadn't thought about root study as a vocabulary program. My dc played games with the cards Roots and the card game More Roots when they were in elementary school. This wasn't a program, just a game, but I'm sure it was helpful in expanding their vocabulary. We played it once a week or so, for fun. It wasn't a program or workbook, though.

Also, studying a foreign language expands a student's vocabulary. While a foreign language is a 'program', it is not specifically an English vocabulary program, LOL. We found Latin and French very helpful in expanding vocabulary. But once again, that wasn't it's intended purpose, but rather a side benefit.

Everyone knows that much of English vocabulary is derived from Latin and Greek. What they don't understand is how the words are derived. This leads to a lot of wasted time using "classical vocabulary" programs that accomplish very little in the end.

Our Classical Vocabulary program is based on several 17th century "Nomenclators" or name-books. These books were used by classical students to quickly find words they needed for Latin and Greek reading and writing.

However, the most interesting benefit of our program is the cultural experience students receive. As our program covers so many practical, every day topics, students take a tour through classical homes, gardens, shops, schools and more.

Classical Vocabulary from the CLAA

Well, we used Word Roots for a couple of years, and when they did the post-tests, it seemed like almost nothing had stuck.

This year they did Caesar's English, and it has stuck like glue. The retention is wonderful! I also love that it compares the Latin roots to both English words and Spanish words.

I never saw this before! I have GOT to buy them just to read through! I love the Spanish with the English (although they are not from the same language family as the website says.

Thank you for posting this!!!!!

I never saw this before! I have GOT to buy them just to read through! I love the Spanish with the English (although they are not from the same language family as the website says.

:lol: Every time we get to that section of the book and it says that English is descended from Latin, we collectively roll our eyes, giggle, and get on with the lesson... it's still a fantabulous program.

Yes, English is a Germanic language -although it's true that over 50% of English words are derived from Latin. And no, that's not a contradiction. :D

:lol: Every time we get to that section of the book and it says that English is descended from Latin, we collectively roll our eyes, giggle, and get on with the lesson... it's still a fantabulous program.

Yes, English is a Germanic language -although it's true that over 50% of English words are derived from Latin. And no, that's not a contradiction. :D

:lol:

Interesting. We have Word Roots but haven't used it yet. There is something about it that just doesn't grab me enough to incorporate it. Yet.

In the past, we have used Vocabulary Vine and both kids enjoyed that. We own the science version, too, but I think the kids are ready for a break from that program.

For the most part, I think vocab acquisition through reading is something that either comes naturally or not. For me it did, and for my dd it does, but not my ds. So... we add vocab when and where we can. I like the "roots" programs, as it sort of kills two birds with one stone. Both kids are adding to their vocab by learning French (and in my ds' case, Latin--that has been an incredible help!).

I've not heard of Caesar's English.... off to check it out!

I wonder if it refers to the fact that they are both Indo-European languages which, ultimately, descended from a common language ancestor.

Also, if English is 50% Latin that does that mean that it is only "kind of" romantic? Brings you half a dozen roses when it picks you up for a date instead of the full dozen? (wow, I need way more sleep).

Also, if English is 50% Latin that does that mean that it is only "kind of" romantic? Brings you half a dozen roses when it picks you up for a date instead of the full dozen? (wow, I need way more sleep).

I've seen 60% used more often, so I think you would get half a dozen roses and a bottle of wine with just a bit left in the bottom. :D