Menu

Any Upstate NY'ers here?

Ladies, we should all meet up sometime. Anyone up for a visit to the Corning Museum of Glass this spring or summer? Anyone have another idea for a place to meet up or something fun to do? I know there are some fellow hs'ers in Ontario Canada who might be willing to meet us in Niagra Falls sometime.

• 1 month later...
We are moving to Allegany County, to a smaller township near Wellsville. There are homeschoolers down there somewhere, right?

My in-laws live in Wellsville. It is very very rare to see anyone familiar with that area. :D (We visit a few times a year, we live in VA)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome lwilliams1922! I'm further north and would be happy to talk with you. I have a dd finishing 8th grade and a ds finishing 6. Feel free to pm me or leave me a message on the board. Enjoy your time with your daughter!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest wheelerkidz3

hi all! i'm new here but i wanted to say i live in waverly...right between binghamton and corning. i am not yet homeschooling, but i'm trying to get all the info i need before jumping in. i'm a bit nervous and i'm hoping this forum will help me get some confidence. i'm sure i'll have tons of questions!!

I just joined this board yesterday, and I thought this would be a good place for me to jump in! We have one DD, age 7, and are in our third year of homeschooling.

We live in Oswego, and are quite willing to travel- weather permitting!

-Robin

Hi Robin,

I lived in Oswego for 4 years when I was in college. Great town!

Jennie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hello all. I am in binghamton. i would love my kiddoes to meet some other homeschoolers. heck! i would love to meet some homeschooling parents!! okay. just wanted to say something!

I live near Binghamton and spend a lot of time there at the dojo we practice at.

Are you a member of any of the LEAH groups or HEE? THose are the 2 most active groups around your part of NY.

Take care.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We live just outside of the city of Rochester. So glad to see so many WTM families here!

Quick announcement: If any of you are interested in Classical Conversations, they will be holding an information meeting in Rochester on Tues., Jan. 26. There is a possibility that a group may be started somewhere in our region in the next year or two! Send me a message if you'd like more info and I'll forward a flyer to you!

• 1 month later...

Oh thank goodness I saw this thread! :)

My hubbyis originally from upstate and we are wanting to move there. We are currently in western NC. I love knowing there is a good homeschool community up there!

Any advice on where not to live? :) We know we don't want to live in the city and my husband wants lots of snow. (Although I have pointed out that compared to where we are now anywhere in upstate is going to have a gizzilion more tons of snow than where we are now) We are looking pretty much anywhere..around Syracuse, Oswego, Utica etc... I like the Canastota area but seems hard to find rentals there.

Which leads me to rentals. Does anyone have any input on where to find decent rentals? I have tried online and craigslist but you never know what you are getting.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

:grouphug::grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...
We are so far upstate it's easiest to go to Canada for a big day out.:) We are in the Potsdam area and are used to driving long distances. It would be fun to get together.

Wow! Are you still in Potsdam? We are in Nicholville, and are in town 4 days a week for church and various activities. :)

• 2 years later...

We are in Lisbon, NY...relocated from Ogdensburg...where we could see Canada from our house.

It always cracks me up to see how much of the state is considered "upstate"...I guess whoever determines this counts everything above NYC as "upstate" lol

It is hard to explain to a non-NY'ers. Even the weather channel lists Buffalo as upstate...which is on the far left...

But, just as odd, most people up here consider us from the south because we lived in Missouri...huh? So I assume if you live anywhere south of NY state then you are a southener.

Syracuse and Utica have homeschool groups. I don't know about Oswego.

Old thread, but I am new to the Hive. I grew up in Syracuse and live in Oswego. My husband grew up here; his parents homeschooled/are homeschooling their six children. There is a vibrant LEAH and non-LEAH homeschool presence in Oswego. Anyone else still in the Oswego/Syracuse area?

• 4 weeks later...