Menu

Gamine haircut for this face?

My youngest still hasn't grown out tangly hair, and she doesn't particularly like having it pulled back and cannot sleep in braids. You can see her proto-dreads in the first picture. We've had it a variety of lengths, mostly with little layering, and even with a chin length bob there's not much improvement.

I'm no good when it comes to visualizing this kind of stuff. Do you think a gamine haircut, pixie or otherwise could work with her face? She's got a petite but muscular body (not bulky, and more athletic/graceful than barrel-like). She's pushing for dreads, but I'm not willing to go there with a 5yo. :tongue_smilie:

post-623-13535083520193_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083520613_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083520976_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083521354_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083520193_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083520613_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083520976_thumb.jpg

post-623-13535083521354_thumb.jpg

PROTO-DREADS!!!! Now I have a name for LLLs bed head!!! :lol::lol::lol:

We have the same problem, and went for a "china-doll bob"...really short blunt-cut bangs, and simple bob. PDG is the main face in the picture, but LLL is the one who maintains this cut. LLLs hair is board-straight, as PDGs has quite a bit of curl. I liked the cut on both girls, but PDG wants long flowing tresses, and has hair to pull it off. LLL doesn't. She BEGS for haircuts. Here's a pic. LLL is the one on the right (you can see her peeking, but it was the same haircut. It was darling on her).

Edited by BikeBookBread

We have the same problem, and went for a "china-doll bob"

Here's a pic. LLL is the one on the right (you can see her peeking, but it was the same haircut. It was darling on her).

OMH!!!!! TOO cute!!!!! And you don't even want to know what dd9.5's hair looks like -- I've nicknamed it 'anarchy.'

It's funny you started this thread, because I was about to start the same thread for my 5 yr old dd! I want to get her hair cut before we leave for the States.

I was thinking about the chin-length bob, maybe a bit longer -- did you not like it when you had it for your dd?

I was looking for websites with haircut ideas but didn't find what I was looking for...

One of my dd's has tangly hair just like me, even when it's short. I put conditioner in her hair at least every other bath, and comb it through her hair. When I have/take the time to blow dry it, it seems to stay neat for a longer time. I've started telling her to brush her hair about 5 times a day, to prevent those rat nests. I have her brush it before bed, NEVER let her go to bed with wet/damp hair, and have her brush it in the morning. I'm trying to get her to remember on her own that after she brushes her teeth she needs to brush her hair. Leave in conditioner seems to help a bit too.

I have no idea what style would look great on her, but I think a pixie would be too short and she'd look like a boy. Even my oldest (teen with a teen body) gets mistaken for a boy when she has a pixie cut, but it does look great on her.

I was thinking about the chin-length bob, maybe a bit longer -- did you not like it when you had it for your dd?
It was adorable, though it made her look even younger, and she's already small for her age. However, it didn't appreciably help with the tangles.

She's so cute!! I would have it chin length in the front and stacked in the back. So, angled down towards the front. That way it's definitely "girly" looking, but short enough in the back to hopefully prevent tangles.

Good luck....my dd wouldn't let me touch her hair between the ages of 6-10. :glare:

Diane W.

married 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

Dd11s hair always tangled and she has a tender head so we started cutting it into a bob at about 4yo.

She looks really good with an short inverted bob (longer in the front) or with a regular bob that is undercut so it has a slight under curl. The latter worked the best because the undercut reduced the part that tangled on her hair (the baby fine hair at the neckline). I would have her neck shaved too and that seemed to make a big difference.

I would go with all one length not quite touching the shoulders, and then hold the sides back with clips. This should eliminate most of the tangles. You can also use a drop of conditioner to make it a bit less tangly if necessary. She's so cute she'll look good in any style. :)

Oh my, she is a beautiful little munchkin!!! I think a chin length bob with little bangs across her forehead would be adorable. A boar bristle brush changed our problems with tangles in great ways. The other thing that helped was using an AVEDA conditioner that is meant to be rinsed out but we used a dime size amount and simply left it on dd hair and what a difference. Having proffered that I think a gamine cut would be fabulous as well. The eyes and cheeks with little wisps of hair framing her face would be just sweet as well.

Edited by elizabeth
another thought...

A boar bristle brush changed our problems with tangles in great ways.
Oooh, I used to have one of these for my eldest, but it (like so many things) was misplaced. I'll give this and some other advice from this thread a try before making any decisions.

Thanks. :)

We have the same problem, and went for a "china-doll bob"...really short blunt-cut bangs, and simple bob. PDG is the main face in the picture, but LLL is the one who maintains this cut. LLLs hair is board-straight, as PDGs has quite a bit of curl. I liked the cut on both girls, but PDG wants long flowing tresses, and has hair to pull it off. LLL doesn't. She BEGS for haircuts. Here's a pic. LLL is the one on the right (you can see her peeking, but it was the same haircut. It was darling on her).

Oh my! How cute is that?!

Moira, every June since she was 4, dd would go in and get a bob. Except her 9th year, she got a pixie. It grew out really quickly. She wants dreads so bad, but we compromised on anime hair.

I want a gamine, but I'm not brave enough to get the front cut so short.

Here's her pixie and gratuitous baby shots. I couldn't find any of her by herself.

QA1%20066.jpg

QA1%20068.jpg

When DD turned two, we got her hair cut into a chin legnth bob for the first time. Since then, she's worn it in variations of the same. When she turned four, we cut the front of her hair so that she'd have bangs. Now, at six, we are in the process of letting the front grow out again so that its even with the rest of her hair. I hate the growing out part....her hair just looks messy and in her eyes at the moment.

Here's DD at 2, right after we got it cut into the bob (it's a little messy in this pic though).

tongue-1.jpg

And here's DD at 5, with bangs.

Paisleys5th10.jpg

Guest Katia
My youngest still hasn't grown out tangly hair, and she doesn't particularly like having it pulled back and cannot sleep in braids. You can see her proto-dreads in the first picture. We've had it a variety of lengths, mostly with little layering, and even with a chin length bob there's not much improvement.

I'm no good when it comes to visualizing this kind of stuff. Do you think a gamine haircut, pixie or otherwise could work with her face? She's got a petite but muscular body (not bulky, and more athletic/graceful than barrel-like). She's pushing for dreads, but I'm not willing to go there with a 5yo. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, I think her face looks just like Georgie Henley who played Lucy Pevensie in Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe! That cute little cut she had in that first movie would look so adorable on your dd.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3068693504/nm1670137

She's so cute!! I would have it chin length in the front and stacked in the back. So, angled down towards the front. That way it's definitely "girly" looking, but short enough in the back to hopefully prevent tangles.

That is exactly what we did with my DD's VERY tangled hair, I think the stacking in the back is the key. I also would blow it dry after washing it, that really helped to keep the tangles away longer.

I loved my DD's short hair, she's growing it out now so that she can have a bun for ballet.

I was looking at this haircut for dd:

bob.jpg

I was wondering how it would be to have this cut, but with layers? She has a longer, thinner face so I thought maybe layers would suit? I also get the tangles complaint, she hates to have her hair brushed. She's also not been wanting to wear ponytails or braids recently, which imo just makes the tangles get worse. She does like clips, so I thought a bob would be nice since she could still wear clips. Oh, and she does want bangs.

These decisions shouldn't be so hard, lol.

I was wondering how it would be to have this cut, but with layers? She has a longer, thinner face so I thought maybe layers would suit?
I don't know about layers, but bangs tend to suit long faces.

These decisions shouldn't be so hard, lol.
I hope to come up with something that won't foment a life-long grudge towards me. (Only half joking there.) DD is very aware of aesthetics... she's not vain (or at least not extraordinarily so for her age), but likes lines to be just so or she's offended. Sometimes I think she's got the wrong mom. :lol:

That is exactly what we did with my DD's VERY tangled hair, I think the stacking in the back is the key. I also would blow it dry after washing it, that really helped to keep the tangles away longer
How high did you bring it up in the back, and how low before the ears in the front?

I'd want to stay on the good side of those gorgeous eyes. :) Thanks for posting these shots.

Here's DD at 2, right after we got it cut into the bob (it's a little messy in this pic though).

tongue-1.jpg

And here's DD at 5, with bangs.

Paisleys5th10.jpg

Oh my, she is a beautiful little munchkin!!! I think a chin length bob with little bangs across her forehead would be adorable. A boar bristle brush changed our problems with tangles in great ways. The other thing that helped was using an AVEDA conditioner that is meant to be rinsed out but we used a dime size amount and simply left it on dd hair and what a difference. Having proffered that I think a gamine cut would be fabulous as well. The eyes and cheeks with little wisps of hair framing her face would be just sweet as well.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I do think the gamine cut would be adorable on her.

Moira, every June since she was 4, dd would go in and get a bob. Except her 9th year, she got a pixie. It grew out really quickly. She wants dreads so bad, but we compromised on anime hair.
I'm guessing she didn't like the pixie?

I want a gamine, but I'm not brave enough to get the front cut so short.
I've got to do something with mine too, but at this point daring would be shoulder length.

Here's her pixie and gratuitous baby shots. I couldn't find any of her by herself.

QA1%20066.jpg

QA1%20068.jpg

Is there truly such a thing as a gratuitous baby shot? :D

I'm guessing she didn't like the pixie?

I've got to do something with mine too, but at this point daring would be shoulder length.

She loved the pixie, but wanted to do a graduated bob for her 11th. This year with the anime hair, it's essentially a longish pixie with harsh angles that she can play with. She never brushes her hair, so short hair is really cute on her.

With me, when I was 8 mos. pregnant with the youngest, I went in and said that I didn't care what she did with my hair, I was too hot (as in Texas weather :tongue_smilie:) and didn't want it touching my neck. She stacked the back fairly severely and gave me bangs! I hadn't had bangs since childhood. I loved it. I haven't had hair on the back of my neck since, even though I did grow my bangs back out.

What about something like this... maybe a bit more tapered at the sides, and with the gel, but without the highlights. I just don't want her looking like Liza Minnelli. No child deserves that. :tongue_smilie:

286091_f496.jpg

I think that's cute. This is what mine wants.

s60.jpg

I like this one.

s15.jpg

What about something like this... maybe a bit more tapered at the sides, and with the gel, but without the highlights. I just don't want her looking like Liza Minnelli. No child deserves that. :tongue_smilie:

286091_f496.jpg

I *really* like this one. I'd love to see pics if she does it.

s60.jpg

Well, with all this talk of cute little girl hair, I took LLL for a haircut today, and this is what SHE wanted...she was tired of being hot while wearing her bike helmet. The front shot doesn't look as cute as it does when it is styled, but she just got out of the tub...

post-8131-13535083523147_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083523661_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083523147_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083523661_thumb.jpg

Edited by BikeBookBread

Well, with all this talk of cute little girl hair, I took LLL for a haircut today, and this is what SHE wanted...she was tired of being hot while wearing her bike helmet. The front shot doesn't look as cute as it does when it is styled, but she just got out of the tub...

Very very cute.

Well, with all this talk of cute little girl hair, I took LLL for a haircut today, and this is what SHE wanted...
She and the cut are adorable. :)

we just had this discussion with my dd. i wanted her to go back to her sweet little bob with bangs, but she said that she thought they made her look like a baby, so i let her keep it a little longer than chin-length. we can still do it up in a "half-up" but it's neater now.

How cute! I think she would look great in a one-length bob that just brushes her shoulders, a little longer in the front than the back, with some wispy bangs. You could always add some clips to the sides... wish I had little girls to dress up! I had one of those "Dorothy Hamill" cuts in the 1970s when I was little... hated every minute of it and have not had short hair since. I would nix the really short hair...

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

We're finally going this afternoon to get her hair cut. Here are before shots with her new glasses:

4698400111_bcb3b2a21d_m_d.jpg4698402171_73cc5029dd_m_d.jpg

I'll post the results when she's acclimated enough to the new 'do to let me take a picture.

Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

We're finally going this afternoon to get her hair cut.

I'll post the results when she's acclimated enough to the new 'do to let me take a picture.

Oh good! I must have missed this thread the first time around, but glad to see the update and look forward to seeing pictures of the new 'do.

Both of my girls want LONG hair and are not interested in any cut or style really. <sigh> The 7 yo cut her own hair in Feb. because she wanted bangs (something that even a hairdresser won't be able to help her with due to serious cowlick issues) and only now is that hair near her eyebrows.

s60.jpg

My 4yo niece has hair cut like this. It's adorable and easy-peasy to care for.

Tangled hair: My daughter has waist-length hair that tangles like crazy because the ends curl. The secrets? Rinse, rinse, rinse that shampoo out or else the hair gets GUMMY. I put in a conditioner for several minutes, then rinse. Then I put in leave-in conditioner.

Boar bristle brushing at least twice daily.

I RARELY let her just wear it down -- only if she's inside on a rainy day or something. I French braid it, put it in pigtails, that sort of thing otherwise.

A single loose braid for bed.

Long hair is a LOT of work, but it's so worth it when she can wear Kirsten braids. 300px-Kirstendollface.jpg

My 10 year old still suffers from rat's nest syndrom. For the longest time I kept in all one length and contantly in a braid in the back so that it didn't have so much opportunity to get messed up. Then about a year ago she decided that she wanted something a little more grown up so we went with a bi-level cut with layers. That lessened that amount of hair in the back so that it doesn't get so messed up. I thought it was going to be a bit too mature for her but it turned out to be the perfect cut for her face and hair. Of course, I still have to tell her several times a day to brush her hair but there is less to get messed up now.

I'd be cautious if you think she'd care at all when people mistook her for a boy. Not because she looks like a boy - but because with boy hairstyles as long as they are and girls not normally having short short hair - it can get ugly. My dd has a girly, girly face, wears pink all the time, very slim figure and people would comment on my 2 girls and 2 boys all the time. She is OBVIOUSLY a girl and would be wearing dresses but still get referred to as my son. It really bothered her.

We ended up going with a starter pixie. This is without any hair product (other than a little leave in conditioner used by the stylist earlier)... we'll give her something to use in the mornings to keep it messy. :)

4740270175_bccb50ea3d_d.jpg

Oh, that is adorable. :hurray: She looks very grown up with the hair and the glasses. I hope she is happy with her cut too.

She is, and her big sister paid her the ultimate compliment by asking if she could have her hair cut in a similar manner. :)