Menu

So do you actually give people disapproving reputation and do you leave your name?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm......I'll have to go through and read all the threads, but where is this function, and how do you know you've developed "a reputation?" When I look at your post, I see your avatar, your screen name, a green dot which means you're online, and then way over on the right a small green square that says you're on "a distinguished road" when I roll my mouse over it. Is this what you mean? Being "on a distinguished road" seems pretty cool to me! :-)

I'm really trying to get the hang of all these new features---- never knew we had the potential to ruin the reputations of others----- eek! Maybe that feature can be disabled? Doesn't seem like it's a change for the better, IMHO.

Big Hugs, Kristine!

I had a reputation comment and didn't know it.

Did you guys see that there's a "Buddy List" and...and "Ignore List", lol?

I've heard folks say from time to time, "Hey, ignore my posts if you don't like them!" I guess they decided to make that a real option, huh? ;o) ("I don't seeee yooouuuu...")

Wow. I think we're all mature enough (mostly) to not let features like that get out of hand...but that could be dangerous.

I just clicked on "User Control Panel" (upper left corner of the blue bar), and it showed up. Under 'Latest Reputation', or 'Breaking Reputation News', or somesuch. ;o)

And I edited that post; it was ONE reputation comment, lol. Didn't want anyone to think I had an overblown sense of my own importance, there.

I just tried to find this feature in CP and all that came up is *11 points* but no comments I can see.

How extraordinarily weird!

I agree with the other posters - we don't need a *reputation* option.

Even though assuming that we are all adults on this forum, this feature seems to invite abuse.

Just disregard it. I have never checked anyone's reputation before reading or replying to their posts!

Interesting. I opened a thread yesterday and was just randomly giving everyone in it positive feedback (I approved everyones post, LOL) but I didn't leave any comments. Then suddenly when I clicked on someones post scale thingy, it told me that I had given out too much reputation and I have to wait another 24 hours before I can give more. I was rolling my eyes and LOL. Sillyness. I did NOT disapprove of anyone's post though. (well, not intentionally, I suppose it is possible that I could have accidentally got click happy and clicked negative instead of positive for someone, but I didn't leave any comments so that one definitely wasn't me). Happy rating everyone. We should start a thread for "person of the day" and everyone can go leave positive stuff for them, LOL.

Hmmm. I didn't know this feature existed either. There is absolutely nothing relating to my reputation on my CP panel screen. I suppose that means I have no reputation? Is no reputation the same as having no personality?

As my 2-year old would say, "Uh-oh." :)

Lisa

I have a disapproving reputation, a message was left but no name. Just curious if you give people disapproving reputation, and if you do, do you do it because you don't like the person? or just really don't approve? Even if I don't approve, I'm not going to single a person out and give them disapproving reputation, to me it's just being negative. If you leave a disapproving reputation, do you leave your name? What about positive reputation, do you leave your name then?

Anyone else have a disapproving reputation?

Knowing me, this came across wrong and I'll get a few more after this thread. Oh well!

Kristine

I was looking at this feature more as a way of rating individuals or messages who had been particularly helpful. Someone who had written a message that was detailed, brought new information, gave additional references etc. And there was part of one thread that I gave serious thought to giving a negative mark. Where someone gave a very authoritative statement that I considered to be naive, if not just wrong.

I think I was looking at it more like the "was this review helpful" buttons that amazon uses. Not a reflection on the person, but a reflection on the post.

But if the function goes away, I'm not going to sit around wishing it were back.

Here's a link to a thread w/ a good explanation as well as my experiences and some thoughts about the whole reputation thing:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933&highlight=reputation

as for it being "too high schoolish" --well, I disagree.

In *Real Life* you DO build a reputation: based on things people have done and how others have publicly reacted to it. A reputation *is* something to be taken seriously. And since we don't have a lasting way to track accountability, the rep feature is one way to do that. Considering the anonymous nature of the internet, something intentional and permanent can be Very Helpful.

i do agree that many people will react in a high school manner, but I don't think that makes the process/tool itself one that is highschoolish. On the contrary, as you pointed out w/ the sale and swap board, the reputation becomes very important. Since we can't judge too many people based soley on a couple posts on the S&S board, it only seems prudent to include their entire activity on the forums --where they have a greater opportunity to BUILD a rep. I had no qualms purchasing a cd from Colleen last year because even tho she doesn't sell a bunch of stuff, *I* knew her from her history on the boards :cool: --but other people who don't follow the boards wouldn't know she is a trusted poster. Restricting reps to 'sale experiences only' will limit the pool of information.

I haven't left any negative comments, but I think I absolutely would leave a negative comment if I thought the person was intentionally being a total jerk.

I probably would NOT leave my name because --as mentioned above-- people WILL react in a highschoolish manner and retaliate just out of spite.

And maybe getting a bad rep click will make a bigger impression on people like me who tend to open our mouths and let our brains roll out w/ quite a hefty bit of sarcasm in the mix. :eek:

I believe naive or incorrect posts should receive a public response pointing out why you think those are naive or wrong. I think the reputation should be reserved for noting how well one responds to a situation, not necessarily whether they are always right ;-)

I have doled out reputation points in the last few days to people i already knew from the old boards. I am now going through the members list and contributing rep clicks based solely on whether i thought the poster has offered meaningful info or not --not based just on a bunch of cutesy replies, hee hee.

i do encourage y'all to do the same -- but this is coming from someone who was dragged here kicking and screaming about the board format and who doesn't have a lot of experience w/ this format, lol.

Could it be a useful to leave just the "approval" feature, and not the "disapproval"? Overall, I don't like the feature, but I *do* like the idea of being able to recognize at a glance which posters are the most reliable re: good advice. The first day here, I added to the reputation of Jean in Wisc., because I wanted others to know that she is someone whose advice I consider trustworthy.

In my dream cyber world, we would be able to add to the the reputation of someone like this, and we would be required to leave a comment as to why we are doing so, and those comments would be viewable by all members (so that we can wade through popularity votes that don't have anything to do with the credibility of the poster). Also, I would display the member's name who added the comment.

Doesn't SL have a way of identifying the more experienced users/posters? It's not just who has posted the most. Maybe it's controlled from the admin side (like y'all need more to do! LOL).

Just a thought.

Robin

Could it be a useful to leave just the "approval" feature, and not the "disapproval"?

i think that would strip away the actual effectiveness of the tool. In Real Life, your reputation has positive AND negative consequences. I'll go out on a philosophical ledge here: I think that extending only half the equation [positive] and witholding the other half [negative] is a great theory and sounds wonderful and compassionate, but ignores how things really work. Removing the reality from a situation doesn't make it work better in my experience;)

**i thought i posted this reply already, but it never showed up. i wonder if I'll find it in another thread, lol!!!

I see what you mean. I don't know... maybe it would be good to let the feature stand AS LONG AS the commenter's name shows up (i.e. no negative anonymous comments).

Regardless, I still wish there was a way for the board community to recognize the input/reputation of long time posters who consistently give good advice (like Jean). For a newcomer, it would be helpful to sort through all the posters, and know who really is speaking from experience, etc. Of course, this wouldn't matter on the gen board as much as it would matter on the curriculum boards. I'm only talking about h.s. experience (and WTM/classical experience). Not necessarily who the chicken expert is (wouldn't that be Doran? :) )

You know, while I definitely see the advantage of a reputation on the sale/swap board. I still have a hard time with it on the general board. I guess I see this as a refuge when I'm having an off day or when my real life is falling apart. I don't want to be judged because a comment I made was inane or because my cleaning tip wasn't as good as someone else's. I can see that if someone is constantly "flaming" others that that person might "deserve" a bad mark. But the truth is that people who frequent this board get a reputation for how they interact anyway (how else would Jean in Wisc. be already known for giving good advice!) And someone who is combative etc. gets a reputation for that. For that reason I think having the ability to "ignore" some people's posts might be beneficial - though I tend to do that by just glossing over what they've written.

I see what you mean. I don't know... maybe it would be good to let the feature stand AS LONG AS the commenter's name shows up (i.e. no negative anonymous comments).

... I'm only talking about h.s. experience (and WTM/classical experience). Not necessarily who the chicken expert is (wouldn't that be Doran? :) )

...and you are right --while I would not leave negative comments w/ my name attached as it stands now, we would have to be very sure of leaving a negative comment if we know our name will be attached. It would certainly make people think thrice about leaving negative comment.

Since I know i would offer rep for posts that are not only HS/WTM but also simply well written or encouraging/informative, then we would end up w/ reputation based on a variety of reasons. And I think that's good too.:D

For that reason I think having the ability to "ignore" some people's posts might be beneficial - though I tend to do that by just glossing over what they've written.

This feature is available on this board. I've never used it on any board before. Like you I just ignore the trouble makers IF I have the will power. I've let myself be sucked in a few times. I always regret it.

The way the rep points work is that some people have more rep power than others. People with a higher rep give higher rep. (and if you want to see who has the most rep go to the members list, click on rep, and it will reorganized the members according to who has the most rep, admins on top)

It's not clear to me that someone with a higher rep is really the person with the best advice on any particular topic. They get their rep from "the masses," what we need are philosopher kings giving rep...per topic, not just in general. (Someone with high rep doesn't necessarily have good advice about coffee makers or even Greek textbooks.) In real life public schools get high rep from families of the students, all the public schools are above average.

Another analogy is student evaluations. Students don't recognize the best and most knowledgeable professors, they rep the "nice" ones.

Other sites say that admin can set everyone's rep power to zero. If that were to happen the "rep" message really amounts to a private thumbs up/down.

I think the green ones are postitive and the gray are neutral. I don't know how the negatives work (yet... don't anyone try it out on me, LOL...) I think you earn the right to give pos vs. neg as you move up levels someohow. At first, I could only give general rep, then I could choose pos vs. neg and leave a comment. I have some from people who must only be able to give it in general, because it is a gray box, and then some from people who were able to give me pos, as it is a green box. Only the green boxes added a point.

That's just my theory...

It won't let me give it to the same person more than once (in a day? I think), and it cut me off when I was slinging rep around earlier in the thread. :)

Oh very funny.

Someone repped me for dissing reps.

Ok, I *know* that giving out reps for something like that is oh so petty, but I was literally laughing out loud at how you posted about it!!:D

You just got moved up on my "whom to rep when my 24 hours is up" list, lol.

love the cookie -- my ds wrote up an index card that on one side said:

The statement on the other side of this card is true;

and on the other side--

The statement on the other side of this card is false.

I think the green ones are postitive and the gray are neutral. I don't know how the negatives work (yet... don't anyone try it out on me, LOL...) I think you earn the right to give pos vs. neg as you move up levels someohow. At first, I could only give general rep, then I could choose pos vs. neg and leave a comment. I have some from people who must only be able to give it in general, because it is a gray box, and then some from people who were able to give me pos, as it is a green box. Only the green boxes added a point.

That's just my theory...

It won't let me give it to the same person more than once (in a day? I think), and it cut me off when I was slinging rep around earlier in the thread. :)

"slinging rep around" LOL!

It's making me wait several days before adding more rep to a member.

i think i agree w/ your theory --I had forgotten that the option for adding rep had increased to a comments box. I'll bet you're right cuz I have a couple positive comments but gray boxes. I'm thinking the gray boxes might not "count" towards your rep, but count towards giving the one who rep'd you actual rep power. i wasn't paying close enough attention to my "rep points" to draw an accurate conclusion though, and it doesn't list the whole history of your rep earned. I sure wish they would explain more about the how's and why's.....:cool:

Stupid is as stupid does--that is, if someone is going to be stupid enough to give out negative points just because someone disagrees with you, well--they are stupid. :)

Me, personally, I'm just gonna call you out on the carpet in the thread. I don't waste time with anonymous posts or reputation points. And if I get negative points for calling you out, well, I earned them baby. :)

That said, I've now got 5 messages, all positive but only 10 points.. dunno how the points work, but meh.. don't care. I think I wanna go on record and see how many negative points I can get--I like to be different that way. :)

***ahem Peek, you might want to check your rep...****:)

For the record, I've only given one person points, positive, early on... I dunno how I'm racking these up.

Oh, okay, good. I couldn't figure out how I could have offended anyone yet. The day is young, lol.

I like the feature. I think that if we don't get ridiculous and *treat* it like Jr. High, it doesn't have to be. It can be very useful. Slashdot uses a similar system, doesn't it?

I think that when you give rep for a Sale/Swap post, you really should leave your name, or at the very least a detailed comment. I want to be able to know clearly when rep is for a Sale/Swap transaction.