Menu

I don't think I'm smart enough to homeschool

Seriously. Some of these things are way over my head. :(

I'm a product of the PS system through and through. I did well all through school, straight A's, scholarship to University, and while it was due in part to being "smart", it was also because I knew how to work the system. I was rarely challenged with the material in school, could write a solid paper, and I knew how to "learn" what would be on tests. Not learn the *material* as much as figure out what sort of questions would be asked, study that, regurgitate, and promptly forget. :001_huh:

I want so much more for my children, who so far, are all working above grade level. I just don't know if I can do it. I have had quite a number of people IRL tell me I'm very intelligent but I don't see that at all. I have depth to me, I can ponder things to death :tongue_smilie: but I don't know about smart. I'm in awe of some of you women on this board. I've read and re-read that "Education a child like in the 1700's" thread and I know I stand in the shadows of the great minds here.

However, I *have* been working really hard on my own self education for the last year. I wish I had done so prior to this, back when my oldest was a wee babe, or even before then, but what's done is done. There's still plenty of time, or so I thought. So, I've been trying to read as much as I can about education, Classical education, teaching, and subject areas, like Liping Ma's book, working through LoF on my own, etc.

I'm working through WEM, read a few books on how to read books, read many more on education in general, but I'm getting lost. One of the books I attempted to understand was Neil Postman's End of Education. It seems highly recommended here and I wanted to like it. I've tried several times but I just sit and grapple with the ideas. The vocabulary is fine for me, but I can't seem to grasp the ideas he's presenting. It seems so simple, yet, well, for some reason, they're out of my reach to comprehend fully. I'm currently trying to read my way through John Dewey and the Decline of American Education and I'm finding it to be quite the workout. Again, the vocabulary is okay (there are a number of words I can't define, but can figure out the meaning in context) but the book references SO many others and their works that I'm lost. I *think* I get the gist of it, but maybe I'm completely missing the point.:001_huh:

I'd love to be able to tackle books like Hick's Norms and Nobility but I'm starting to think that I am simply not smart enough to wrestle with big ideas like that. I'm good with concrete things- working equations, works of non-fiction such as history texts, but books on ideas and ideals, literally, if someone were to take a picture of me reading, I'd look like this: :blink: I don't want to be like this. I'd love to be able to understand what a Thomas Jefferson education is and to argue its merits and pitfalls... stuff like that. Even more so, I'd love to understand the harder texts on Classical Education, and the Jesuit system of education but my brain is left swimming at the best of times.

I am not feeling smart enough to do this whole homeschooling gig. Even reading the John Dewey book, I'm 1/2 way through, but I've had to re-read most of the sentences more times than I care

to admit. :tongue_smilie: I don't even dare think what I'd be like trying to grapple my way through Gilgamesh or Herodetus' histories. I know they are not supposed to be easy reads, I know they are work, but, gosh, I sure thought it would be easier than this.

I can't seem to grasp complex ideas. What can I do other than keep reading, read the books that the books I'm reading reference, and keep going? :confused: Then, I get overwhelmed with the shear number of books I'll need to cover just to get a basic grasp of some of these works.

Does anybody have some advice? Some commiseration? Please don't laugh at me, I'm already scared enough that I'm going to ruin my children. And, be honest, if this really isn't do-able for me, let me know so I have something to ponder so I can figure out what is best for my children. I'm concerned about putting them in PS as I've moved back to where I grew up and I know what the PS here turns out :tongue_smilie: but sometimes I wonder if perhaps it is better than I can do in the higher grades.

Edited by plain jane

Jane :grouphug:

you CAN do this! Your post is well written, you're clear, and you're thinking! You CAN do this!

I'm in a similar boat as you, except I frequently have brain lapses LOL, when I forget words, etc. My public school went on strike in grade 4 for several months, and I was hospitalized for almost a month in grade 3. I never learned fractions, decimals or some of the multiplication tables. When I got back to school, they just trucked right on ahead, leaving me in the dust. Math has therefore never been my strong point. In high school I took grade 9 GENERAL math FIVE TIMES. I finally passed. Took grade 10 GENERAL math 4 times before passing. Took grade 11 math twice, never did pass, but I realized something: I was good at writing and editing, home design and entrepreneurship. I decided to focus on what I was good at, and admit that not everyone is a mathy person. So, now my dd is doing TT largely independently, and you know what? I've learned how to do fractions and decimals at the same time as her! And if I didn't? Who cares? All I need to do in order to teach my child is 1) LOVE 2) dedication and 3) a will to do it. You know what they say, where there is a will, there is a way! You can do this, because you love your children and want what is best for them. You can outsource high school level subjects. You can enroll them in community college classes. You can enroll them in online classes, a la Potter's School. You can find curriculum that is helpful to the teacher, guiding you in either what to say or at least presenting the material in a self-teaching way. The possibilities are unlimited. So be encouraged. You CAN do this! :grouphug: If you have all 3 of the above, and I think you do, then persevere. Kick those doubts to the curb girl. ;)

Wow Jane. :grouphug: I feel inferior on a regular basis. I just don't think like some of the women on this board. However, I use that to pull myself up. You can do it. You said you were able to work the system and figure things out. That shows you can learn and imo, teach.

Think of it this way. You are striving for more than PS. My guess is, you will be able to achieve it. You are doing all the right things. If something gets to be too much, you can always find assistance. It isn't about you personally imparting all you know. That would last about a day for me. :tongue_smilie: It is about facilitating their education and providing the means for them to be educated. You may well hire a tutor, or do an online class, or [shudder] learn physics with them.

I have read your posts and think you are very qualified. Don't give up.

:grouphug: again.

You can do it! :D

I meant to add a big CONGRATULATIONS on your self-education! You're already doing a lot to improve and expand on your own understanding so I commend you! To partake of The Great Conversation is a reality that I'm sure you'll achieve. You've taken several steps in that direction already. Don't give up! :D

You may also feel better if you do things like setting up a book group (social group here?) for discussing some of the books you're reading. Having someone to wrestle through some of the ideas can be very helpful.

I have a friend, who was very different back in her schooldays. She was a high school dropout. She got her GED and she was well, into other things. When she told me about that, well needless to say I couldnt believe it! She homeschools her kids amazingly, her kids doing VERY well for their grade level (I would guess they are above grade level in certain areas)

I can tell you now, knowing her now, I NEVER would have guessed all that about her! So moral of the story, if SHE of all people can do it, you most certainly can!!!

Oh my, you're being very hard on yourself! Effort counts for so very much in homeschooling...and it's obvious that you're willing to put in the effort. You can do this, and your children will do well. I can guarantee they won't get a classical or a Jefferson education in the ps system. And honestly, I couldn't say that my kids have either. But I can say that they got a good foundation for higher education, and they've been very successful in college. So, *my* goal was accomplished.

As for high school....very few of us have the capabilities to do all the high school subjects well. I didn't, and that's OK. Do what you can or what they're capable of. Then find tutors, area homeschool classes or community college classes to fill in the gaps. In the end, you'll have well-educated children.

You can do this because you care enough to put in the effort!

Edited by Sandy in Indy

Aw Jane :grouphug: I could have written your post. I don't have any advice for you, but I hear you. My dirty little secret is that I hate most "classic" books--even Jane Austen, though I love the movies :blushing:. I keep trying though! I'm even taking a few on our beach vacations this year (along with the usual beach trash, of course). And I think that's an important key. If you found a book difficult to grasp, read it once for a foundation, and then a second (or third or fourth) time for real comprehension. It's a labor of love, but it will get easier, I think. (Hey, look at that, I did have some advice after all! :D)

You are clearly a literate and well educated person.

Not to make light of teachers, but do you really think they are any "smarter" than you?? Really? They went to college just like you but they didn't get a magic pill to make them smart enough to teach others. ;) They just happen to be given some tools on "how to teach."

In the classroom, they use teacher's guides and curriculum to teach the material. Just like we as homeschoolers have books and resources (even more than teachers) to help us teach.

I'm terrible at algebra-I know this. But this means when it comes time to teach that subject, I'll use more resources, engage my DH in the teaching, and perhaps find a friend teaching that same subject and ask for help. I wouldn't dream of not homeschooling just because I did not know a lot about a certain subject.

I looked at what the schools could offer my kids and honestly, it was a little scary. The actual teaching of information is a small part of it. Think of the values taught, interaction with other children and adults, safety, etc. I don't want a stranger teaching my child their values.

Just by the fact that you WANT to learn and be better educated is a benefit for your children because you WANT to teach them the best you can.

You have the skills and resources at your disposal, you just have to decide if you have the patience-that's key I think.

Good luck!

You may also feel better if you do things like setting up a book group (social group here?) for discussing some of the books you're reading. Having someone to wrestle through some of the ideas can be very helpful.

I've tried 5 times in the last 4 years to find someone to read WEM with me. People agree, get the book from the library and then don't read it. :001_huh: The furthest I got was someone who didn't read WEM but read the first third of the book we agreed to read. I keep reading through all of this but I've pretty much given up on others to join me. :tongue_smilie: It's unfortunate, I would have liked this very much.

Maybe it's the mood I'm in... but thinking of the stuff in your post that you mentioned you have trouble with... do you *really* think that *every* teacher your children would encounter in school would be able to read and comprehend the same stuff you are trying to read and comprehend? No? Well, there you go.

Even reading the John Dewey book, I'm 1/2 way through, but I've had to re-read most of the sentences more times than I care to admit. :tongue_smilie: I don't even dare think what I'd be like trying to grapple my way through Gilgamesh or Herodetus' histories. I know they are not supposed to be easy reads, I know they are work, but, gosh, I sure thought it would be easier than this.

This immediately called to mind a favorite C.S. Lewis quote:
I have found as a tutor in English Literature that if the average student wants to find out something about Platonism, the very last thing he thinks of doing is to take a translation of Plato off the library shelf and read the Symposium. He would rather read some dreary modern book ten times as long, all about "isms" and influences and only once in twelve pages telling him what Plato actually said. The error is rather an amiable one, for it springs from humility. The student is half afraid to meet one of the great philosophers face to face. He feels himself inadequate and thinks he will not understand him. But if he only knew, the great man, just because of his greatness, is much more intelligible than his modern commentator. The simplest student will be able to understand, if not all, yet a very great deal of what Plato said; but hardly anyone can understand some modern books on Platonism. It has always therefore been one of my main endeavours as a teacher to persuade the young that firsthand knowledge is not only more worth acquiring than secondhand knowledge, but is usually much easier and more delightful to acquire.
So just because you are having trouble grasping the ideas behind modern "good" books - which have built on millennia of thought - in no way means that you therefore will have even greater trouble grasping the ideas behind the older "great" books. :grouphug:

I've tried 5 times in the last 4 years to find someone to read WEM with me. People agree, get the book from the library and then don't read it. :001_huh: The furthest I got was someone who didn't read WEM but read the first third of the book we agreed to read. I keep reading through all of this but I've pretty much given up on others to join me. :tongue_smilie: It's unfortunate, I would have liked this very much.

Have you tried here?

Maybe PM the people who recommended it & see if they'll discuss it?

Maybe have a social group for educational philosophy/reading... or see if there are people here who want to do a book club (maybe over the summer could work best).

I don't think the issues you're mentioning are a reason not to homeschool. There's a quote that roughly says, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." We can't give our kids the perfect education, but we can give them a good enough education. (Now there are people who don't meet their children's needs for education and that's not good, but it sounds like your concern is not meeting the ideal.)

:grouphug: It's great to consider these issues and really reflect on what we're doing for our children, but it can be pretty tough too. Hang in there and be sure you're looking at what's really there and not just an idealized education.

Jane, you are more than smart enough to homeschool! Not only have I read many of your posts but I have spoken to you LIVE! You are smart enough. We all doubt sometimes. I doubt regularly! :tongue_smilie: But I see how far advanced my kids were when they went back to ps this year. They far surpassed the school's expectations for them coming out of 4 years of homeschooling (the school figured they would be extremely behind...HAH!). You can do this...you ARE doing this. You must cut yourself some slack right now. Please.

There are people who are not smart enough to homeschool. It's not popular to say, but it's true.

Based on your posts here, you are not one of these people.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

that almost everyone arrives at a point in his or her life at which he or she realizes, "I am woefully ignorant."

The more I learn, the less I know. ;)

I'm on the self-ed track too. One thing I've had to do to keep my head from exploding is sit down and make a list of areas where I am deficient. I have things I WANT to study and things I NEED to study ahead of ds.

IIRC you are reading a lot of titles about the whole of education. I haven't read as much as you on the educational process, but I know those titles take time to absorb. It can get very confusing if you are trying to understand everything all at once. That's why I write and highlight in books. As I read I underline what I want to return to, what doesn't make sense, and what seems like revelation. I might not understand the whole book, but I gain a bit of wisdom from it. It's almost like mining. I find a bit of gold in a book and I put it in my pocket. After reading several books I have several nuggets that I can use and apply to my life, my school. If I tried to understand and use every concept I read about I'd be overwhelmed.

Later you may be able to return to those titles and find more knowledge and wisdom.

I try to concentrate on one area of self ed at a time. TRY, being the key word. It's hard there are so many great things I'm ready to discover. On top of that I have a few keys areas I HAVE to work on to be able to teach correctly. Those take priority.

I would probably sit down and outline your priorities. Work on one area at a time, maybe one for school, one for yourself. :grouphug: You can do this, it will be okay.

Cadam is so right!

I'm concerned about putting them in PS as I've moved back to where I grew up and I know what the PS here turns out :tongue_smilie: but sometimes I wonder if perhaps it is better than I can do in the higher grades.
I don't believe that for a second. I had no teacher for 3 years of high school and it worked fine for me. I was not as educated as a WTM graduate, but about the same as the PS honor roll student.

Jane, I know how hard you can be on yourself. :grouphug: I want you to know that you are more than a great b&m teacher ever could be to your children. You are a great mother who cares about their individuality as well as their academic, spiritual and emotional development.

Don't worry about the upper grades so much right now. Focus on where you are and where you will be shortly. You have always gone above and beyond while educating your children and I am certain that you will continue to do so as your children progress.

Your feelings of inadequacy simply prove that you are human, not inadequate.

More :grouphug: as you try to regain your confidence.

I'm a product of the PS system through and through. I did well all through school, straight A's, scholarship to University, and while it was due in part to being "smart", it was also because I knew how to work the system. I was rarely challenged with the material in school, could write a solid paper, and I knew how to "learn" what would be on tests. Not learn the *material* as much as figure out what sort of questions would be asked, study that, regurgitate, and promptly forget. :001_huh:

Like 90% of other people - you did your maths, figured out what would be the minimal effort for the maximal (desired) result, and manipulated the system accordingly.

I see nothing unintelligent in that strategy.

Granted, you lacked something called "long term planning", the big picture and realizing that one way of functioning on the short run is not necessarily optimal for the long run, but hey, how many 15 y.o.s, especially in the milieu of public schools, think in terms of "lifetime" at that age or take their education (as opposed to only formal schooling) remotely seriously?

Most of the students basically work the system, and lack life wisdom at that point in their lives not to do it, and it's usually the matter of pure luck who happens to be in a better system or surrounded with people who were ready to do you a long-term favor and not let you get away with working the system.

Your behavior was perfectly in accordance with the milieu you grew up in, and along the lines of the good ol' principle "man is a lazy animal, if he doesn't have to work, he won't work".

What you're basically regretting is not having grown up and received your education in a different milieu, with different standards in the first place, brought up and schooled differently, more than your specific behavior in a system you were in. But the former you did not choose, bear no responsibility for (you don't choose when and where you will be born, your primary education, etc.), and the latter one you did choose, BUT, be aware that in choosing you were guided by what you saw, what you knew from your experience - don't regret not coming to some realizations at 15 or even 20 which you weren't logically expected to reach at that age and under those circumstances.

So okay, you got to those realizations, only later. You still picked up plethora of meaningful experiences in your life, which made you the person you are, so you can now focus more on the components you feel you missed, such as academics.

"You're not responsible for who you're born, but you're responsible for what kind of person you choose to be."

The thing is, Jane, that you're not a finished project.

Don't waste your energy on regretting the life you didn't have, the education you didn't have, the choices you didn't make, the realizations you didn't reach (especially if at the age when you weren't even supposed to). Put all those "would have been"s aside, we ALL have our "would have been"s, and the less we think about them, the better - they have a terrible power of sabotaging our present. Clear it up with yourself: you did what you could, with what you had, where you were, had some other priorities in life, and all of that is legitimate and normal.

Focus on what you have now, if academics mean to you. It's not too late to not only make up for the things you want to make up for, but also to learn and explore new areas.

I have depth to me, I can ponder things to death :tongue_smilie: but I don't know about smart.

Smart as in what? Having a lot of information?

Having an information and being a trivia encyclopaedia hardly means anything... manipulating information is that which counts.

I'm good with concrete things- working equations, works of non-fiction such as history texts, but books on ideas and ideals, literally, if someone were to take a picture of me reading, I'd look like this: :blink: I don't want to be like this.

Manipulating the abstracts - just like dealing with the concretes - is a skill that can be learned. It's not a God-given gift.

The more text you go through, the better you are with the work on text, understanding text and manipulating the ideas it deals with. It's as simple as that. You need to expose yourself to high quality texts, often, make it a habit, and you will get better with time. The more you interact with texts, texts like you back more. :)

To the present day I have that "look" when I read some passages from Heidegger (and not only), and I'm "allowing" myself to have that look rather than being frustrated.

I don't even dare think what I'd be like trying to grapple my way through Gilgamesh or Herodetus' histories. I know they are not supposed to be easy reads, I know they are work, but, gosh, I sure thought it would be easier than this.

They're both easy reads, if you're not going to dissect every single motive inside them. Which, realistically, you don't need, it's not that they're your doctorate.

Don't fall for the "big names". A lot of those authors and a lot of those texts are a lot more "reader-friendly" than you might think. I dislike the highly pretentious American term "great books". It almost makes you want to stay as far as possible from them, because you're so small and can't possibly comprehend that greatness. :rolleyes:

I could also rant you a LOT about the so-called concept of the "canon", the how books make into it, etc. It's not a "real" category.

Also, for some reason people tend to think they must "understand the ideas" of a fictional text (talking only about literature now, not history), as if a text was something to dissect and analyze its parts, motives, blabla. Unfortunately, that banal approach combined with "biographism" and general reading into the text is the dominant stream of teaching literature to everyone other than literature majors. Just disregard all that, "great books" lists and high school "analyzes" and simply take the things you want to read and - for start, read them. That's how you become a better reader, by reading.

I can't seem to grasp complex ideas. What can I do other than keep reading, read the books that the books I'm reading reference, and keep going? :confused: Then, I get overwhelmed with the shear number of books I'll need to cover just to get a basic grasp of some of these works.

You prioritize. You decide to read extra things on some topics - and on some, NO. You become peaceful with the fact that you won't, and don't have to, "do it all". So you continue reading lots of different things, but have your areas of expertize rather than aiming for expertize in all. You can't be a renaissance man in the 21st century, you can't function that way, you have to prioritize.

I'm concerned about putting them in PS as I've moved back to where I grew up and I know what the PS here turns out :tongue_smilie: but sometimes I wonder if perhaps it is better than I can do in the higher grades.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every choice, but if you want to home school them, I don't see how exactly you're going to make them a disservice by continuing to study with them and for yourself, setting them an example and creating a positive learning atmosphere. Also note that they will also be more independent as they grow up. If you can provide them with a better atmosphere to learn and grow, you've already beat that PS... long-term beat, that is. ;)

The people I worry about are the ones who don't think they are uneducated. :001_smile: Knowing is half the battle and all...

What makes you think that your child's PS teacher will be smarter than you? I am married to one, I will be one, and I mean no offense, but I have to tell you that Education majors have the lowest test scores of any major in college. It's not like it's a choice between you or a rocket scientist to teach your dc. You already KNOW that they won't do a better job than you.

I think that you need to start with easier books. Use a study guide (Cliff's Notes, etc.) You can't run a marathon if you've never run around the block. Also, if you don't get everything out of a book, finish it and go on anyway. Put it on the 'more to learn the next time through' pile. :001_smile:

Also, when a book references a book that I haven't read before, I look it up on Wikipedia to get the general idea of it (don't tell my kids, please :D) so that I can continue reading. When I don't know a word, I look it up.

I think (I say this with love) that your problem IS in your head, but it's not with your intelligence. ;) If you get bound up by what you don't know, you will frustrate yourself and have trouble learning anything. Just realize that every word, every page, every book that you read is something more than you had read yesterday.

Delight in reading something that you don't understand!! How dull to already know everything (or think we do.)

I think being smart and being educated are two very different things. There are many extremely intelligent people who are not educated. There are many extremely educated people who are not that smart.

You sound like you care about this, that's the biggest hurdle. Because you care, you'll do the job well. I agree, the amount of information to parse and synthesize is monumental. I'm currently in the same process. I'll be homeschooling my son this fall and my daughter will join the year after. At times I become overwhelmed with educational philosophies, curriculum, scheduling, etc. What keeps me going is my desire for me and my children to learn, and to love the process. Early into the process I realized how easy it could be to allow the educational goals to overwhelm the process and purpose. So I wrote a mission statement. Every decision I make will reflect these values.

Pick it apart piece by piece. What is your philosophy behind education, that will inform how your curriculum - or lack thereof - and process? You don't need to know calculus tomorrow, you have a long time to brush up on things. Put into place what you need for your first year and work from there. I'm focusing the first trimester of the first year, and during that time, I'll do some more long-term planning. I know if I tried to work farther out, I would just be overwhelmed.

I fully believe I could fail at my goals for educating my children and still do better than the public school system.

But I will emphasize, work on your philosophy of education. A lot will fall into place from that. The information is the easy part in my opinion. Again, maybe you won't need to know much of what you think.

Edited by spradlin02

"You're not responsible for who you're born, but you're responsible for what kind of person you choose to be."

The thing is, Jane, that you're not a finished project.

Don't waste your energy on regretting the life you didn't have, the education you didn't have, the choices you didn't make, the realizations you didn't reach (especially if at the age when you weren't even supposed to). Put all those "would have been"s aside, we ALL have our "would have been"s, and the less we think about them, the better - they have a terrible power of sabotaging our present. Clear it up with yourself: you did what you could, with what you had, where you were, had some other priorities in life, and all of that is legitimate and normal.

Focus on what you have now, if academics mean to you. It's not too late to not only make up for the things you want to make up for, but also to learn and explore new areas.

I like this.

It's ever so tough to do... but it's a great reminder!

Maybe it's the mood I'm in... but thinking of the stuff in your post that you mentioned you have trouble with... do you *really* think that *every* teacher your children would encounter in school would be able to read and comprehend the same stuff you are trying to read and comprehend? No? Well, there you go.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There are very, very few teachers out there who would even have a working knowledge of what some of those ideas are, much less be trying to deepen and broaden their own understanding of them. I would bet money that most of them haven't given much if any thought to any kind of educational philosophy issues since they had that class in college--and if it was anything like *mine*, not much thought to it even then. :glare:

The people I worry about are the ones who don't think they are uneducated. :001_smile: Knowing is half the battle and all...

:iagree:

My sentiments exactly...!!

Based on your post, you sound like a thoughtful, articulate and intelligent person. The fact that you're aware of - and working on - areas where you'd like to expand your knowledge and understanding makes you THAT MUCH MORE QUALIFIED to homeschool, IMHO. :)

Heh. You are so not alone.

I have a friend, who was very different back in her schooldays. She was a high school dropout. She got her GED and she was well, into other things. When she told me about that, well needless to say I couldnt believe it! She homeschools her kids amazingly, her kids doing VERY well for their grade level (I would guess they are above grade level in certain areas)

I can tell you now, knowing her now, I NEVER would have guessed all that about her! So moral of the story, if SHE of all people can do it, you most certainly can!!!

Many, many kids who drop out just can't take the boredom. And it's not boredom, but a depth of boredom-of not being challenged on their own level of interests. GEDs don't mean that the people are stupid, they just mean that the needed another way to learn.

Myself, I did ok in school. I was one of those "Does Not Live Up to Potential". It was a joke, I hated it and I did what I had to do to graduate and I hated every minute of it. I never went to college, and Dh did kinda, but we both had businesses early on in life that grew. We are entrepreneurs, and it's been very successful for us. You'd be amazed at what my Dh does (that needed years of college that he never had) and he's extroidinarily successful. Why? It's the brain. There is no arrival. There is no final desitination but the grave. You keep learning, and moving forward. So, don't feel that you can't teach them. And don't let regrets become a noose around your neck. You're here, now. You are learning and moving forward. The trick is not to stop. Never stop. ;)

(and if you really feel that you can't tackle the bigger books, read them just like SWB says to in TWEM. Slow and steady wins the race.)

Edited by justamouse
wrangling maverick commas

Is anybody?

It's like parenting. Is anybody really smart enough to parent? I'm a pretty good parent- believe me, I've seen some BAD parents, but even still, on any given day, I have huge areas of incompetancy in my parenting. Same with homeschooling.

I'm great at some things, I've learned a ton and I'm constantly learning more. After 19 years of homeschooling (and 2 master's degrees) I still stink at grammar (the 15 yo in co-op knows more grammar than me...still!). I continue to avoid really learning Latin, I stink (insert stronger word for stink) at math past 2nd semester Algebra I. I hate Moby Dick and have never finished it.

Sigh.

But, given all of that, I know my kids. I've been the sandpaper for their rough edges, and they are pretty smooth:001_smile:. They are confident, know how to learn, are eager to grow, read copious amounts, write incessently, are creative, are willing to sacrifice for their beliefs, serve others with a good attitude etc. etc.

I had a big crisis this year (we had a house fire, my sister died unexpectedly, etc. I've spent a lot of time questioning just about everything) and have come to this conclusion: I am providing private tutoring for my kids, just like the elite around the world. They won't know everything, but they will have unique leadership tools that aren't available to others who are educated en masse. Maybe the biggest gift that we've given our kids after all these years is the gift of time. They have time to think, walk the fields, play outside in all kinds of weather and really LOVE nature, take joy in kittens and snapping turtles and the baby birds they discovered, read, read, read, talk for hours on the phone with each other, etc.

My big take-away is this; no matter how inadequate or dumb I am, no matter what we haven't provided, we have given our kids the time to develop into their selves. They have the tools to learn. A lot of learning will have to be on their own- in other words, beyond me. I hope they stand on my shoulders and go way beyond me. But my dh and I have given them a firm foundation.

Is anybody?

It's like parenting. Is anybody really smart enough to parent? I'm a pretty good parent- believe me, I've seen some BAD parents, but even still, on any given day, I have huge areas of incompetancy in my parenting. Same with homeschooling.

I'm great at some things, I've learned a ton and I'm constantly learning more. After 19 years of homeschooling (and 2 master's degrees) I still stink at grammar (the 15 yo in co-op knows more grammar than me...still!). I continue to avoid really learning Latin, I stink (insert stronger word for stink) at math past 2nd semester Algebra I. I hate Moby Dick and have never finished it.

Sigh.

But, given all of that, I know my kids. I've been the sandpaper for their rough edges, and they are pretty smooth:001_smile:. They are confident, know how to learn, are eager to grow, read copious amounts, write incessently, are creative, are willing to sacrifice for their beliefs, serve others with a good attitude etc. etc.

I had a big crisis this year (we had a house fire, my sister died unexpectedly, etc. I've spent a lot of time questioning just about everything) and have come to this conclusion: I am providing private tutoring for my kids, just like the elite around the world. They won't know everything, but they will have unique leadership tools that aren't available to others who are educated en masse. Maybe the biggest gift that we've given our kids after all these years is the gift of time. They have time to think, walk the fields, play outside in all kinds of weather and really LOVE nature, take joy in kittens and snapping turtles and the baby birds they discovered, read, read, read, talk for hours on the phone with each other, etc.

My big take-away is this; no matter how inadequate or dumb I am, no matter what we haven't provided, we have given our kids the time to develop into their selves. They have the tools to learn. A lot of learning will have to be on their own- in other words, beyond me. I hope they stand on my shoulders and go way beyond me. But my dh and I have given them a firm foundation.

That is the most wonderful answer ever.

that almost everyone arrives at a point in his or her life at which he or she realizes, "I am woefully ignorant."

It doesn't matter how many As we received, how many honors were bestowed upon us, how many diplomas hang in our offices. All of us who aspire to the so-called examined life will, sooner or later, be challenged by our own lack of knowledge, insight, synthesis, etc. At some point, yes, each of us will wonder, "Was I ever smart? What do I really know? What have I actually learned?"

Absolutely. I thought I was smart when I was going to college. I was studying Literature and Anthropology. I got nearly all As. My professors loved me, talked to me like I was their peer, offered me TA positions that normally went to grad students, and I won big-deal essay contests and scholarships. They even suggested I submit some of my undergrad papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals.

Then, a couple years ago, not long after my daughter was born and I had a lot more time to really sit and think, I realized how little I actually know. How little I really thought about what I was reading, and how I didn't, to quote John Locke, make it mine. In college, I'd learned to race through things, gleaning just enough info for a good essay and for a few talking points, so that when someone asked me, "Have you read so-and-so," I could reply, "But of course!"

Now I'm rereading through everything, and trying to understand it and learn it on a much more substantial level.

Don't be so hard on yourself, OP. The fact that we can even have discussions like this means that all of us here are light years ahead of the majority of public school teachers. Most of them have just memorized the basic facts they need to pass on without having any deeper understanding of them. Yes, there are some people who just don't have the native intelligence to homeschool, but I can tell you right now that you aren't one of them. You'll do great.

There are people who are not smart enough to homeschool. It's not popular to say, but it's true.

I agree with the above quote wholeheartedly. But I don't think you are one of those people, largely because you are concerned about it. From what I've seen on the internet, the people that really SHOULD NOT be homeschooling have no clue that they are not qualified. Besides, your post was very well written. If you think you aren't smart enough, I've got a few people you should meet.

When I got started (officially), three years ago, my math and science skills were weak and my grammar rusty. I've been learning right along side the kids. I pick up a book on the subjects and stay just a few chapters ahead of the kids at all times for a refresher course. (I really liked First Grade History the second time around!)

I really think you will be fine. We all have feelings like this at times. Your concern shows that you take it seriously. You can do this, and you and the kids are going to be just fine.

Edited by Dawn in OH

If a group is started to read through and discuss TWEM, I am interested in joining. :)

I may fit the category that Cadam referred to (couldn't figure out how to identify series and parallel circuits in a 4th grade science lesson yesterday ... again), but I keep trying. I won't blame it on public education. It's my brain and I claim it. I do admire those who are intelligent. I have even more admiration for those who have had to work hard for what knowledge they have.